Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Zion Information and News

Zion Information and News

Just so it doesn't get lost in other threads, here's a place to put legitimate, non-speculative information about Zion. When he chooses his agent, it can go in here, when he signs his shoe deal, it can go in here, etc etc. Just a good place to keep things together.

Speaking of a shoe deal though,

https://www.complex.com/sports/2019/...lion-shoe-deal

Master P and Romeo have offered Zion a $20m shoe deal. It's not a guarantee it will end up turning into anything, and Zion may well not take it, but the offer is still cool to hear about.

"I know Zion gonna get a big shoe deal from Nike or Adidas or whatever. We gonna get him a deal just to have to wear shoes outside of basketball," Master P told TMZ Sports. "Just to wear it on the side, not in the game, I'm saying $20 [million]."

It's not the shoe deal, and Zion would still be able to wear whatever he wanted in game, so it's essentially just $20m extra, for free. Doesn't cost him anything, he won't lose out on anything.

It's great to see that kind of thing, and it ties Zion even more closely to the New Orleans area. This is the kind of thing we need as a franchise: Toronto has Drake at every playoff game, LA has Jack Nicholson ever present, NYC has Spike Lee, it's great to see a local big name reach out and make connections to our future franchise player.
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Just so it doesn't get lost in other threads, here's a place to put legitimate, non-speculative information about Zion. When he chooses his agent, it can go in here, when he signs his shoe deal, it can go in here, etc etc. Just a good place to keep things together.

Speaking of a shoe deal though,

https://www.complex.com/sports/2019/...lion-shoe-deal

Master P and Romeo have offered Zion a $20m shoe deal. It's not a guarantee it will end up turning into anything, and Zion may well not take it, but the offer is still cool to hear about.

"I know Zion gonna get a big shoe deal from Nike or Adidas or whatever. We gonna get him a deal just to have to wear shoes outside of basketball," Master P told TMZ Sports. "Just to wear it on the side, not in the game, I'm saying $20 [million]."

It's not the shoe deal, and Zion would still be able to wear whatever he wanted in game, so it's essentially just $20m extra, for free. Doesn't cost him anything, he won't lose out on anything.

It's great to see that kind of thing, and it ties Zion even more closely to the New Orleans area. This is the kind of thing we need as a franchise: Toronto has Drake at every playoff game, LA has Jack Nicholson ever present, NYC has Spike Lee, it's great to see a local big name reach out and make connections to our future franchise player.
    Uuuuhhhh...nahnah nahnah

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Uuuuhhhh...nahnah nahnah
    Zion's going to get a set of grills

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    I thought you couldn't get endorsement deals in NOLA?!

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    Zion's going to make $40m as a rookie or something.

Edit: this is a little hyperbolic, but not much. He's gonna make $10m off his rookie contract, his shoe deal is expected to be in the realm of $10m per year, this deal would throw in a few million more (no idea how much per year), and he'll likely have another endorsement or two in the pipeline. So that's probably like $30m or so.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 05-26-2019 at 04:34 PM.

You can. You just need a better personality than a goldfish.

Here is a question that comes to mind. Should Zion sign with Klutch, does that increase the odds that AD stays or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    Here is a question that comes to mind. Should Zion sign with Klutch, does that increase the odds that AD stays or not?
    I don't think so. While Klutch obviously do what's best for them, they also do what their clients want. They may attempt to influence that, but if a client is adamant on something they will follow along. If they didn't, they'd get fired. If AD is still sure of his desire to leave, then Klutch's involvement will be purely academic.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Zion's going to make $40m as a rookie or something.

Edit: this is a little hyperbolic, but not much. He's gonna make $10m off his rookie contract, his shoe deal is expected to be in the realm of $10m per year, this deal would throw in a few million more (no idea how much per year), and he'll likely have another endorsement or two in the pipeline. So that's probably like $30m or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    You can. You just need a better personality than a goldfish.
    I was obviously being sarcastic. But regardless, it's cool to see the notion that small markets CAN breed superstars.

I was obviously being sarcastic. But regardless, it's cool to see the notion that small markets CAN breed superstars.
    I wasn't disagreeing with you, I was just commenting. I got the sarcasm.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I love all the Twitter comments talking about "Nike will give him $100 million" meaning they clearly didn't even read the article.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I love all the Twitter comments talking about "Nike will give him $100 million" meaning they clearly didn't even read the article.
    Yeah, it's kind of absurd. That's why I included that direct quote from Master P in the OP, so that if anyone here didn't read the article they'd still have the clarification right there.

Also, do you think any shoe company will give him that much? Lebron got $87m from Nike when he signed and he was easily as hyped as this, if not more so.

1. Master P doesn't have $20m to give to Zion for a shoe deal.
    2. If Zion signs with Nike, his deal will cover every shoe he wears except for his "church" shoes.

3. Master P showing up at Pelicans game would be the definition of bandwagon. The Pelicans "super fan" is a role that is currently up for grabs, but I'll be damned if we're going to just let Master P grab it!

2. If Zion signs with Nike, his deal will cover every shoe he wears except for his "church" shoes.

3. Master P showing up at Pelicans game would be the definition of bandwagon. The Pelicans "super fan" is a role that is currently up for grabs, but I'll be damned if we're going to just let Master P grab it!
    1. How do you know, have you been checking his pockets? In any case, it doesn't matter because the exciting part isn't the deal, why would we care? The exciting part is the hype and media attention Zion is already drawing that AD never did.
    2. That's true of if he signs with ANY company, not necessarily Nike, and this deal doesn't preclude any other deal so it's literally just free money.
    3. The superfan role can go to someone, it doesn't have to be Master P, although I'd argue that being the designated celebrity fan doesn't stop you being a bandwagoner: see Gucci Mane being apparently a fan of the Hawks, Bucks, and Celtics depending on who's winning at the time. Again, the positive part is just the hype and attention the franchise is getting.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 05-26-2019 at 07:03 PM.

Really good article

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orle...a3a486947.html

It’s unimportant the denigration ignored several aspects of reality, like Williamson never actually questioning the Pelicans’ competence or the $20 million bounty (with endorsements) he’d be walking away from to return to college. Within two days the hubbub died down, thanks in part to Lee Anderson, Williamson’s stepdad, who told Jordy Culotta on Baton Rouge radio that he was ready to join the Pelicans

This one is.......you just can't make this stuff up.....

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/39499053

"I try to sign every kid's autograph because I don't want to turn a little kid down because I know it'll hurt them. It hurt me. Anthony Davis, John Wall turned me down, so I try to sign everybody's."

And I know it's maybe meh since he is a current NOLA player but my vote for super fan goes to Cam Jordan. That man has done more public recruiting in one week for the Pels than AD in his entire tenure here.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 05-26-2019 at 10:02 PM.

Let’s get down to the nitty gritty details about Zion

Paper or plastic
    Boxers or briefs
    Van Halen or Van Hagar
    King Kong or Godzilla or Pacific Rim
    Armageddon or Deep Impact
    Does Magic really have the cure?
    Was Demps a plant by the Illuminati (I.e like Solomon Hill)?

You find yourself a reporter who can get you those answers and you have a reporter worth a damn.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    This one is.......you just can't make this stuff up.....

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/39499053

And I know it's maybe meh since he is a current NOLA player but my vote for super fan goes to Cam Jordan. That man has done more public recruiting in one week for the Pels than AD in his entire tenure here.
    Turns out it was made up by the media-

How do you know this? The man is about to put out a self-financed major movie in July. As far as the shoes, if it's that Moneyatti line, it's not a bad looking shoe line at all. I even like the ones with the leopard print, and I'm usually not the one for stuff like that. Probably his best effort at the shoe thing, and he's tried before.

And I say all that as not the biggest Master P fan. Everything he does is in L.A. He doesn't do squat in New Orleans.
    Last edited by luckyman; 05-26-2019 at 10:56 PM.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I'm a little annoyed I fell for that media hit job saying AD and John Wall snubbed him. He was speaking in hypothetical. i'm getting deeply pissed of how Zion's been covered since we won the lottery. I know I should expect this, but it's hard to stay rational.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Turns out it was made up by the media-

Ha. Weird quote. The NBA news and rumors, man. Lol

TBW is pretty good when it comes to factual information. Take a lot of the stuff on the podcast with a grain of salt though. Some of them have whacky opinions

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    How do you know this? The man is about to put out a self-financed major movie in July. As far as the shoes, if it's that Moneyatti line, it's not a bad looking shoe line at all. I even like the ones with the leopard print, and I'm usually not the one for stuff like that. Probably his best effort at the shoe thing, and he's tried before.

And I say all that as not the biggest Master P fan. Everything he does is in L.A. He doesn't do squat in New Orleans.
    I asked him if he could loan me $20m and he said...."I ain't got it".

Also... we are really calling "I Got the Hook Up 2" a major movie???

And also... whoever signs Zion to a major shoe deal ain't letting him wear those grass cutting MoneYatti shoes off the court!

Edit: But Master P is still a marketing genius. He brought nothing to the table and yet we're talking about his shoe line and his movie! Gotta respect it.
    Last edited by NMThreeMVP; 05-27-2019 at 10:05 AM.

I asked him if he could loan me $20m and he said...."I ain't got it".

Also... we are really calling "I Got the Hook Up 2" a major movie???

And also... whoever signs Zion to a major shoe deal ain't letting him wear those grass cutting MoneYatti shoes off the court!

Edit: But Master P is still a marketing genius. He brought nothing to the table and yet we're talking about his shoe line and his movie! Gotta respect it.
    What are you talking about? Is there a single NBA player with a deal so strict that they are only allowed to wear that brands shoes at all times? Even LeBron walks around in vans sometimes and he's the single best selling player shoe Nike has on contract. The idea that Zion wouldn't wear a pair of ugly shoes for $20m is absurd.

What are you talking about? Is there a single NBA player with a deal so strict that they are only allowed to wear that brands shoes at all times? Even LeBron walks around in vans sometimes and he's the single best selling player shoe Nike has on contract. The idea that Zion wouldn't wear a pair of ugly shoes for $20m is absurd.
    To be fair, most shoe deals, especially for the biggest names, do have clauses like this. And they absolutely have exclusivity clauses that say that a player can't sign a shoe deal with another company.

Thread Information