Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Malcolm Brogdon

Quote Originally Posted by studentofthegam View Post
    What a terrible idea. We finally are about to get out from under Hill’s god awful contract and you people want to throw another 12-15 million at a subpar player in Brogdon. LMAO at you comparing him to Booker, they are not even in the same league. Newflash: Demps is gone and Griffin is not gonna make stupid moves and overplay subpar players
    Comparing Brogdon to HIll? Have you seen Brodgon play?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    What a terrible idea. We finally are about to get out from under Hill’s god awful contract and you people want to throw another 12-15 million at a subpar player in Brogdon. LMAO at you comparing him to Booker, they are not even in the same league. Newflash: Demps is gone and Griffin is not gonna make stupid moves and overplay subpar players
    Your thinking is much too simplistic. Also, there is nothing subpar about Malcolm Brogdon. Is he worth the money? Probably not. But what other recourse is there? I like the notion of considering is it a bad thing to pay Brogdon and Zion Williamson a collective $35 million a year?

Wouldn't that be more than fair? Well, that's essentially what we'd be doing for a bout four season, by then, Brogdon would be 30, and Zion would be ready to sign the first of many big contracts he will hopefully have earned by 2023.

Solomon Hill never did anything like a 50/40/90 season. If that's subpar, then your standards aren't realistic.

Yeah it's a totally unfair comparison.

Hill was a promising defender who looked like he might develop a consistent shot when we signed him. We overpaid him because everyone was getting overpaid at the time, and we needed the wing. It was a stupid move in retrospect because Hill never developed those abilities with any consistency, but if he had turned into a strong defender and wing shooter, nobody would mind the big contract much.

Brogdon is nothing like that. He's already shown consistent high level defense for multiple seasons, as well as the ability to shoot, again for multiple seasons, and he's already 26 so it's likely that this is his actual skill set rather than multi-year fluke. Sure, it would be an overpay to give him $18+m a year, but he's a RFA so if you want him at all the overpay will be necessary, and because of the situation we're in (where Hill and Moore come off the books soon and Zion/Okafor/Wood/Kenrich will all be pretty cheap deals) it's not a huge issue to give out a big contract. By the time Zion needs extending, Brogdons deal will have expired and the cap will be in a decent spot.
    Basketball.

LoL do you even watch Brogdon play? First of all he has a near identical skill set as Booker oh and one big thing.. Brogdon actually players very good defense to Bookers zero!! Who is to say Brogdon can’t be every bit as good or even surpass Booker as a player. Instead of being the 4th/5th option like he has been with the Bucks similar to Harden with the Rockets. He shoots a better FG%, 3pt%, FT% and May other impotant stays over Booker.. Brogdon averaged a 50/40/90 season which insane and has only be done by very few players. Not just this seaons he has put up great numbers since he has entered. With the Pelicans I could see Brogodn/Jrue as a 2a/2b behind Alpha Zion until we get that legit #2 wether it be RJ or someone through trade. What better player for RJ to learn from th

Brogdon 28 mpg on bench 15ppgs/5rps/3apg FG%50 / 3pt% 42 / FT%92
    Booker 36 mpg as starter 26ppg/6rpg/4apg. FG%46 / 3pt%32 / FT%86

Brogdon -28mpg averaged 50% FG, 40% 3pt, 92% FT as a 6th man bench which is insane for a guard to do.

Brooker - 36mpg averaged 46% FG, 32% 3pt, 86% FT as the starting #1 option.
    Not saying Brogdon will be Harden.. I have no doubt this kid in the role with the Pels would turn into a similar player as Booker averaging 18-22 ppg while being a very efficient scorer and help handle the ball distribution taking pressure off of Jrue. He is exactly what you want from a SG end especially next to Holiday woould perfectly compliments to each others skill set. Not only Jrue but potential draft picks like Zion who as well compliment each other great!.

Paying him would not be stupid like Hill and Asik. This kid has proven he is an all star player and just needs to right situation. I have him ranked in my top 7 SGs going into next season. Bradley Beal is my first guy but don’t need any assets to acquire him and if we wait until FA for Beal he’s gone.
    I would go as high as 4 years $100 million at $25 million a year. Brogdon is worth every penny. If we move AD we will have 0 cap issues for a long time unless Griffin/Langdon are just fools. The only contracts beyond next season that would be worth really any $ is Jrue and Brogdon. Our cap if AD leaves is going to look as good as anyone in the NBA. Brogdon is not close to a bad signing at all.

Brogdon is just enticing the prime of his career where the entirely of his contest would be at his best basketball. By the time his 4 years deal end he would be 30 and still provide value on a small deal. This signing would be a home run without some super flashy name.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 05-28-2019 at 01:38 AM.

Brogdon is an extremely promising player. He may never have the same flashes of stardom that Booker has (I doubt Brogdon will ever score 70 in a game, for example) but Booker is also incredible inconsistent, inefficient, plays zero defense, and doesn't understand how to play team ball. He's a one man show, and it's a good show, but it's not the kind of thing that wins basketball games.

Meanwhile, Brogdon is not a show. He's not flashy. Nothing he does is spectacular. But he plays hard, plays smart, moves well off-ball, is extremely efficient, plays defense, makes the right moves and plays in a way that wins basketball games. If I needed a superstar, I'd take Booker, but we don't need a superstar. We have that in Zion, and we have a second tier star in Jrue. We need an actual TEAM that can play around them, and Brogdon provides that. I'm sick of having a team with two good players on it and then just nothing. Depth and team support is important, and we need to finally get some.

Not sure I would go $25 million a year for him for 4 years, but I could see 4 years/$76-$78 million or 3 years/$60-$63 million. He will be 27 in December. Although not old, he is in his prime now. He is not a facilitator, but more of a combo guard like Jrue. I love the defense he brings.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Not sure I would go $25 million a year for him for 4 years, but I could see 4 years/$76-$78 million or 3 years/$60-$63 million. He will be 27 in December. Although not old, he is in his prime now. He is not a facilitator, but more of a combo guard like Jrue. I love the defense he brings.
    That's the hard part. To get him we're going to have to over bid. Any "reasonable" offer that we'd like to give him multiple teams will be willing to give him so there will be lots of competition. Even ignoring that the Bucks can match any reasonable offer then just trade him later.

That's the kind of deal I'd take too. $18M per or something, maybe up to $20 or $21m each. No more than that.

The good thing is he is young, and you haven’t seen his ceiling yet. So at $18-21MM a season you could still be getting a steal of a deal.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    The good thing is he is young, and you haven’t seen his ceiling yet. So at $18-21MM a season you could still be getting a steal of a deal.
    He's not that young. He's not old, but he's not a prospect either. Like PELICANSFAN said, he's 27 early into next season, obviously he's 26 now. By the age of 26/27, a player has already shown you what they're going to be, 99% of the time. Brogdon's ceiling appears to have been met. He's not going to get much better than this, in all likelihood. Which is fine, because he's very good already and fits our team well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    He's not that young. He's not old, but he's not a prospect either. Like PELICANSFAN said, he's 27 early into next season, obviously he's 26 now. By the age of 26/27, a player has already shown you what they're going to be, 99% of the time. Brogdon's ceiling appears to have been met. He's not going to get much better than this, in all likelihood. Which is fine, because he's very good already and fits our team well.
    I would say given his situation, surrounded by Giannis, Middleton, Bledsoe, and to a recent extend Lopez, you haven’t seen who he really can be. Give him a new situation where more is asked from him, and you will see a development in his game (something he hasn’t had to do to this point due to his surroundings). It’s like when people say “Why couldn’t _____ play like that when he was with us?” Some guys need to be in different situations to take it to another level. I think Brogdon could take that next step.

I would say given his situation, surrounded by Giannis, Middleton, Bledsoe, and to a recent extend Lopez, you haven’t seen who he really can be. Give him a new situation where more is asked from him, and you will see a development in his game (something he hasn’t had to do to this point due to his surroundings). It’s like when people say “Why couldn’t _____ play like that when he was with us?” Some guys need to be in different situations to take it to another level. I think Brogdon could take that next step.
    You're totally right, and it's possible that he would take that leap. I'm just saying not to expect any improvement. If there was some, it would be cool, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Brogdon is an extremely promising player. He may never have the same flashes of stardom that Booker has (I doubt Brogdon will ever score 70 in a game, for example) but Booker is also incredible inconsistent, inefficient, plays zero defense, and doesn't understand how to play team ball. He's a one man show, and it's a good show, but it's not the kind of thing that wins basketball games.

Meanwhile, Brogdon is not a show. He's not flashy. Nothing he does is spectacular. But he plays hard, plays smart, moves well off-ball, is extremely efficient, plays defense, makes the right moves and plays in a way that wins basketball games. If I needed a superstar, I'd take Booker, but we don't need a superstar. We have that in Zion, and we have a second tier star in Jrue. We need an actual TEAM that can play around them, and Brogdon provides that. I'm sick of having a team with two good players on it and then just nothing. Depth and team support is important, and we need to finally get some.
    100% agree!

I think $25 million per is exactly what he’s worth. In today’s market he is absolutely with more then a 4 year $78 million deal. His offense that is as efficient as it gets brings $ but don’t forget the value and $ his defense brings. With starter minutes this guy has 20+ppg and 4+apg with great defense. Not only his he really good but he compliments our future team about as good as it gets. Jrues offense isn’t worth what we pay him but when you factor in his defense he’s worth every penny. Brogdon is also entering the prime of his career where we will be getting his best basketball years and Brogdons contract will be expiring going into Zions 2nd deal. We will be in a great cap situation going forward if we sign Brogdon while losing AD, Hill, and Moore over the next year along with all of our youth. I would not risk losing him over $3million paying him $22 instead of $25.. IMO he is worth $22 but I pay him $25 if that’s what it takes.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 05-29-2019 at 05:12 PM.

Exactly what I’m saying and why I think we pay him. I’m betting on what he’s going to do when given a bigger role right in the prime of his career. Not saying he will turn into Harden taking that type of leap but I do think he can have an Oladipo type of jump in his game here. Not only is our offense tailor made for his skill set he would be playing next to a PG in Jrue who fits him perfectly as well and a young stud like Zion that any player with Brogdons skill set would dream of playing with. When I’m factoring in what he’s worth and how much I pay has to do with everything. I just think he’s the perfect fit and ready to break out similar to many others when given the opportunity.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 05-29-2019 at 05:22 PM.

I think the Bucks will match on both Brogdan and Middleton. If they can find takers for Snell then they will be ok.

Thread Information