Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Malcolm Brogdon

Malcolm Brogdon

Griffin and Langdon need to go after Malcom Brogdon and make him our #1 FA target. He is a perfect fit next to Jrue as someone who can handle the ball and distribute for others. In the 64 games he played in he put up insane numbers! Brogdon had one of the rarest stats as a 50/40/90 player. He had a FG50%, 3PT42%, FT92% while scoring 15ppg, 4rpg, and 3apg only playing 28mpg. Brogdon reminds me a lot of Devin Booker except he’s a 2 way player and very good defender. I think in our system with a bigger role would flourish into a star player. Brogdon compliments our entire roster being exactly what we need. Imo he needs to be the Pels #1 target.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Agreed. He brings exactly what we need. And we should be more than willing to overpay for him. Because by the time his contract is up, it'll be time to give Zion his big contract or so.

Agreed. My guess is a lot of teams will go after him though

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Agreed. My guess is a lot of teams will go after him though
    I know money talks, but all those other teams won't have Zion or Jrue on their rosters. Man, we are sitting pretty sweet these days.
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

I mean he's on a team that is fighting to go to the finals and has Giannis on it. If he wants money, he will be able to get it, and if he wants a contender he can get that too.

It won't be easy for us.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Is he more of a PG or SG? I typically get SG vibes from him.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    Is he more of a PG or SG? I typically get SG vibes from him.
    Fairly combo. Good playmaking skills. Obviously super efficient shooter. Probably leaning more towards the 2 but you could play him next to Jrue easily

Yeah. He's not distributy enough for me to say "perfect pairing with Jrue". In fact, I'd say he's a bit of a bad pairing with Jrue. Rondo was amazing. Elfrid (what we got to see) was good.......not so much Brogdon. Great player. But I want someone getting double digit assists next to Jrue.

I agree, to be honest. Love Brogdon and given our cap situation for the next few years I wouldn't mind chucking him fairly high money. Wouldn't pay him his max (which I believe is like $27m? crazy) but I'd go pretty high.

I get the argument that says you want someone like Rondo or Payton with Jrue, because their skillsets did compliment him pretty well. It's perfectly possible though that Brogdon's skillset would compliment Jrue as well, just in a different way. Brogdon, for example, is just a flat out better shooter than either Rondo or Payton. Given that Jrue is mediocre shooter at best, that would open the floor up for him a lot in a way that neither Rondo or Payton could do reliably. Brogdon is also a much better defender than either Rondo at this point in his career or Payton, and playing him alongside Jrue would allow for more naturally switchy guard play. You couldn't really do that with Rondo/Payton because if you switched Jrue off of, say, Lillard and put him on Payton, Payton would really struggle to handle that matchup regularly. Brogdon would be able to take it though.
    Basketball.

Absolutely he should be the 1 FA priority.
    High IQ.
    Can create for others and himself.
    Can play off the ball.
    Can guard 1, 2 and some 3's.

They have to pay Middleton. Just paid Bledsoe.
    Need to make decisions on Lopez and Mirotic.
    They will be in the lux tax and still have Snells contract which isn't great.

Offer him 4/82 and Bucks won't match.
    Do a sign and trade by using Moore so they don't lose him for nothing and Bucks gain a trade exception along the way.

Win/win.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Yeah. He's not distributy enough for me to say "perfect pairing with Jrue". In fact, I'd say he's a bit of a bad pairing with Jrue. Rondo was amazing. Elfrid (what we got to see) was good.......not so much Brogdon. Great player. But I want someone getting double digit assists next to Jrue.
    Don’t agree at all. Jrue needs someone next to him that can score the ball and do it efficiently. He doesn’t need someone to take the ball out of his hands all game to distribute. He needs someone to take some pressure off allowing him to play some off ball. Brogdon does that and it would be done at a very healthy rate that compliments Jrue.

Perfect example I have used before is would you rather John Wall or Bradley Beal next to Jrue? Wall is a pure point who runs the offense and score but not a great shooter. Beal can be a combo guard that creates for others at times as a secondary ball handler while being able to flat out score and shoot the lights out. I’m going with Beal all day long. When Rondo was here we were better when he was off the floor. Jrue was better when the ball was in his hands not playing off ball. Now Jrue did benefit from being able to relax and not handle 100% of the duties but that doesn’t mean he’s not a PG or will play PG.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Absolutely he should be the 1 FA priority.
    High IQ.
    Can create for others and himself.
    Can play off the ball.
    Can guard 1, 2 and some 3's.

They have to pay Middleton. Just paid Bledsoe.
    Need to make decisions on Lopez and Mirotic.
    They will be in the lux tax and still have Snells contract which isn't great.

Offer him 4/82 and Bucks won't match.
    Do a sign and trade by using Moore so they don't lose him for nothing and Bucks gain a trade exception along the way.

Win/win.
    Yea I 100% agree! They are going to pay Middleton and after paying Bledsoe they just can’t afford Brogdon. I think Brogdon is going to be that good and would flourish in the role we need him for. One of the best fits in the entire NBA. With a starting role and starter minutes we really could see him take a similar leap as James Harden did when becoming a starter and playing big minutes in Houston. IMO Brogdon would average 20-22 ppg / 5 rpg / 5 apg while potential putting up a 50%/40%/90% season as a 2 way defensive player. Not much of a better compliment you can ask for to put next to Jrue and have play with Zion.

I would be willing to pay him around $25 million per and do what it takes to get him in a Pelicans uniform. The only contracts we would have on this roster is Jrue and Brogdon who will be worthy every penny. By the time Brogdons 4 year contract runs out we would just be having to pay Zion. I don’t mind over paying a little right now because we can. I would be perfectly fine offering a 4 year $100 million deal. Something similar to what we gave Holiday.

He does fit the mold of what the new FO has said they want....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Payton then?

I love Payton. When not injured, he was great. And his injuries weren't the reoccurring type.

I also loved Frank's progression. I would be over the moon if we got Brogdon to rotate with Jrue, Payton, and Frank ina. Four man playoff guard like rotation with a prospect or two behind them. But Mythrol threw out some good logic and I highly doubt Brogdon comes to be a bench guy. So Elfrid actually would be my high priority signing.

The draft could change everything, as well as the AD trade, though.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Don’t agree at all. Jrue needs someone next to him that can score the ball and do it efficiently. He doesn’t need someone to take the ball out of his hands all game to distribute. He needs someone to take some pressure off allowing him to play some off ball. Brogdon does that and it would be done at a very healthy rate that compliments Jrue.

Perfect example I have used before is would you rather John Wall or Bradley Beal next to Jrue? Wall is a pure point who runs the offense and score but not a great shooter. Beal can be a combo guard that creates for others at times as a secondary ball handler while being able to flat out score and shoot the lights out. I’m going with Beal all day long. When Rondo was here we were better when he was off the floor. Jrue was better when the ball was in his hands not playing off ball. Now Jrue did benefit from being able to relax and not handle 100% of the duties but that doesn’t mean he’s not a PG or will play PG.
    The perfect example would be Jrue when we tried to make him a combo guard/PG thing and he was just OK vs when we picked up an actual PG in Rondo and then Elfrid and he kicked into elite.

Your hypothetical argument is invalid because we've ACTUALLY SEEN IT HAPPEN!!!

I really don't see how people forget this.

I want Vucevic more than any other free agent.

20.8 points, 12.0 rebounds, 3.8 assists, 1.0 steals, 1.1 blocks and 1.1 triples. 51.8 percent from the floor and 36.4 percent from three.

Keep Jah. Keep Payton. Dump AD to Knicks. Robinson, DSJ, Knox, this years 1st, next years 1st and Dallas 1st

Draft Barrett. Send Dallas Pick with Solo.

Guards: Jrue, DSJ, Payton, Jackson, Johnson, (2nd rounder)
    Forwards: Zion, Knox, Wood, Moore, Diallo, Barrett
    Centers: Vucevic, Jah, Robinson

Not that interested in Vucevic.

He scores, and he's a decent passer, sure. He can shoot a little, sure. I'm not disputing he does have a set of skills that he's very good with.

But he's running up on 29 years old, will want big money coming off his all-star season considering that he's never made more than about $12m per before, and he's also (and I cannot stress this enough) a very poor defender. He's okay in the paint, due to his big body which can camouflage a lot of issues, but he's absolutely woeful on the perimeter, and even in the long mid-range. Opponents shoot damn near 4% better than their averages against him behind the arc, and actually better than 4% higher than their averages beyond 15 feet. Those numbers both got worse in the playoffs, where it rose to 9.1% behind the arc and 7.2% from 15 feet and further.

The fact that he got noticeably worse in the playoffs is concerning, to me. He was matched up against Toronto and sure, they're a very good team, but you still expect him to do better when he's being primarily guarded by a 900 year old Gasol and 2019 Ibaka, neither of whom are terrible, but both of whom are clearly inferior to their past selves.

Do not send a Dallas pick anywhere. Why? Why waste a pick to dump an expiring contract in a year that we don't even need to care that much about cap? It's one thing to spend a pick to get somewhere better, it's another to just burn a pick for the sake of feeling good about the cap sheet when it doesn't even matter.

Why is the center defending 15' away from the rim anyway? Arbitrary.

Moving Solo is going to cost us.

It's ok that you're not interested but I'm gonna pass on your word salad. No meat.

Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post

It's ok that you're not interested but I'm gonna pass on your word salad. No meat.
    Not sure if you've noticed, but bigs can shoot now. Get you a center like Vucevic who can't guard the perimeter and watch when Cousins, Jokic, Embiid, Randle, Ibaka, Gasol, etc, all drop threes on his head all game.

Moving Solo will cost unless. The question is why you're so focused on moving Solo. He's an expiring contract of decent value, and we're a team that is in a rebuild year. Who cares if he sits there and just expires? Not worth throwing away the FRP just to move him.

Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post

It will cost us to move him, so why do it?

If we end up keeping AD, that’s a different team with different goals. But assuming we draft Zion and trade AD, there’s no reason not to just let him expire and realize the cap savings next season without losing any assets.

Quote Originally Posted by Saints#34 View Post
    It will cost us to move him, so why do it?

If we end up keeping AD, that’s a different team with different goals. But assuming we draft Zion and trade AD, there’s no reason not to just let him expire and realize the cap savings next season without losing any assets.

Exactly.

Also, to anyone who thinks that bigs in 2019 don't need to have perimeter defense abilities, I'd like you to think about how Portland looked when being defended by a team which featured AD and Niko, an elite defensive big who can guard the perimeter and a solid defensive big who can guard the perimeter, versus what Houston has done to Utah two years in a row in the playoffs now. Utah has an elite defensive big in Gobert, but he can't defend the perimeter. As a result, he's essentially been a (will be) 2x DPOY big who's been played off the court.

I also think Brodgon would be a good fit with any of ELF, FRANK, or JRUE, But, my high offer would 4 yrs 90 MIL with last yr P/O

I love Payton. When not injured, he was great. And his injuries weren't the reoccurring type.

I also loved Frank's progression. I would be over the moon if we got Brogdon to rotate with Jrue, Payton, and Frank ina. Four man playoff guard like rotation with a prospect or two behind them. But Mythrol threw out some good logic and I highly doubt Brogdon comes to be a bench guy. So Elfrid actually would be my high priority signing.

The draft could change everything, as well as the AD trade, though.
    Yes I agree and would love to see that 4 man guard group. Jrue/Brogdon starting with Elfrid/Frank being a great duo running the bench. I like Jrue with Elfrid at times as well and would like to see them stagger some minutes. The great thing about this mess 4 guards is they can all play with each other as very good compliments. I’m for bringing back Elfrid but as our PG to run the bench while getting some run with the starters. Brogdon needs to be top priority as he is such a good fit for what we need.

What a terrible idea. We finally are about to get out from under Hill’s god awful contract and you people want to throw another 12-15 million at a subpar player in Brogdon. LMAO at you comparing him to Booker, they are not even in the same league. Newflash: Demps is gone and Griffin is not gonna make stupid moves and overplay subpar players

Thread Information