Pelicans Report

Page 44 of 54 FirstFirst ... 34 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 1343

Thread: 2019 Official NBA Free Agent thread

Kawhi is gonna end up doing the smart thing and resigning with the Raptors. They have a much better team surrounding him and he would be the king of the city where he’s just another celebrity in LA.

C: Gasol
    PF: Siakam, Ibaka
    SF: Kawhi, Anunoby
    SG: Green(probably resigns with Kawhi)
    PG: Lowry, VanVleet

or

C: AD
    PF: Kuzma, Dudley
    SF: Kawhi, Horton-Tucker
    SG: Daniels
    PG: Lebron

Looks pretty easy to tell which team is the better team
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 07-04-2019 at 09:09 PM.

Dont kid yourself, LA is the better team. He would be joking 2 future HOF'ers, and arguably one the best player of all time. That being said I hope he stays in Toronto.

I still like Utah coming out of the West, but if the Clippers land Kawhi they are the same team as last year with the best player in the league, and while the Jazz have several players better than what the clippers currently have, they won’t have a Kawhi, and that is a major difference maker.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    July 6th is the official date for transactions but yes, the longer this goes on the better. If Kawhi waits until after the 6th then the Lakers lose their max slot. They would only have like 28m to offer him.
    Only if the Lakers don't try and leverage their ''you aren't going to get a better offer for AD'' thing to try and push back the deadline for the rest of us.

If they successfully do that, then our Favors trade falls apart.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by PeliKhan View Post
    Dont kid yourself, LA is the better team. He would be joking 2 future HOF'ers, and arguably one the best player of all time. That being said I hope he stays in Toronto.
    I don't agree with that at all.

He'd be joining 2 future HOF'ers, sure, but one of them is AD. As we've seen, AD being on your team is absolutely no guarantee of playoff runs or playoff success, especially with a bad surrounding roster. And Lebron just missed the playoffs with a better, deeper team than they'll have this year, and will turn 35 in December.

We just saw what happens when you roll out the team with star power with no depth against a team which has fewer stars but just has more depth and quality minutes-getters. It was the 2019 NBA finals. The deep team that lacked star power absolutely flattened the team with three all-stars/HOF'ers but no depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Only if the Lakers don't try and leverage their ''you aren't going to get a better offer for AD'' thing to try and push back the deadline for the rest of us.

Why does the Derrick Favors trade fall through?

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Why does the Derrick Favors trade fall through?
    We don't have the cap to just absorb Favors unless the LA trade goes first, because moving Solomon Hill to Atlanta is part of the Lakers deal and we need Hills cash to take Favors in.

Equally, Favors' contract becomes guaranteed on the 6th, meaning that Utah would not have the space to sign Bogdanovic anymore either.

We don't have the cap to just absorb Favors unless the LA trade goes first, because moving Solomon Hill to Atlanta is part of the Lakers deal and we need Hills cash to take Favors in.

Equally, Favors' contract becomes guaranteed on the 6th, meaning that Utah would not have the space to sign Bogdanovic anymore either.
    I'm pretty sure Favors can extend that guaranteed date of the 6th. Other players have done it. I wouldn't stress.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    I'm pretty sure Favors can extend that guaranteed date of the 6th. Other players have done it. I wouldn't stress.
    Why would he? And even if he did, that would only help the Utah aspect of the trade: we still wouldn't be able to take him until Solomon Hill was officially off the books, and given that Atlanta has already moved him to Memphis for Parsons, their off-season would be further delayed, and also since Memphis is taking in Iguodala, it would impact their off-season too.

If LA really tried to push for this, it would completely alienate the executives of basically half a dozen different teams, as well as tick off a lot of agents (Bogdanovic being forced to wait to sign his guaranteed money contract so that... Los Angeles can get Kawhi Leonard? What?).

This isn't me ''stressing''. If I had any belief the Lakers could actually persuade Utah, Memphis, Atlanta, New Orleans, and Golden State to ALL halt their off-season plans to help LA, then sure, I'd be stressing. But I don't think that's going to even come close to happening.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 07-05-2019 at 06:08 AM.

Lol. We don't live in Laker fantasy land.

The Davis trade has repercussions for multiple teams at this point. if the lakers try to pull a fast one, no one will ever trade with them again

Lol. We don't live in Laker fantasy land.
    I know. I was just giving an example of a reason that we WOULDN'T accept that push back. Why? Because if we did, then X bad thing would happen. Since we don't have to accept that pushback, there's no reason for us to do it.

Edit: I can see LA trying it though. Just can't imagine all other involved teams owuld allow it.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 07-05-2019 at 08:16 AM.

I know. I was just giving an example of a reason that we WOULDN'T accept that push back. Why? Because if we did, then X bad thing would happen. Since we don't have to accept that pushback, there's no reason for us to do it.

Edit: I can see LA trying it though. Just can't imagine all other involved teams owuld allow it.
    No. They wouldn't even attempt it. There's too many teams involved. That would be a certain way for Pelinka to get black balled.

Are they going to risk losing AD too? Because if they try and play that game then Griff should burn the whole world down and refuse to trade AD to them. Let them have their fun with no team around Lebron.

If I had any belief the Lakers could actually persuade Utah, Memphis, Atlanta, New Orleans, and Golden State to ALL halt their off-season plans to help LA, then sure, I'd be stressing. But I don't think that's going to even come close to happening.
    Especially since all of these except for GSW are small market teams. I would think they're going to be less likely to want to give LA what it wants BECAUSE of who they are, than maybe another major market team like a Chicago, NYK, BKN or Houston.

No. They wouldn't even attempt it. There's too many teams involved. That would be a certain way for Pelinka to get black balled.

Are they going to risk losing AD too? Because if they try and play that game then Griff should burn the whole world down and refuse to trade AD to them. Let them have their fun with no team around Lebron.
    You're implying that Pelinka wouldn't try and do something because it would be stupid for him to do so. Since when has something being absurd, stupid, pointless, and counter-productive ever stopped Pelinka from doing it?

I agree that they also have a lot to lose, which is why I don't imagine they'd go too hard after it, but you ahve to understand that while yes, they're screwed if we completely revoke the AD trade, they're also kinda screwed if Kawhi doesn't make his decision today. Cause they lose their max slot if he doesn't, and there's no way they're getting him to take a pay cut, and with so few players left on the market what choice do they have? We've been talking about how they're questionable as a playoff team with AD/Lebron/Kawhi + G Leaguers, what are they going to do with just Lebron/AD + G Leaguers, with Kawhi in a Clippers uniform?

Again, I don't think it will actually end up making a difference. I'm pretty sure that if Pelinka picks up the phone to ask Griff to delay the trade, Griff just says no and hangs up, and any attempt for Pelinka to change that will not help him further. But I just wouldn't be surprised if we got a leak in a week or two saying that Pelinka did make that call, or at least seriously contemplate it.

You're implying that Pelinka wouldn't try and do something because it would be stupid for him to do so. Since when has something being absurd, stupid, pointless, and counter-productive ever stopped Pelinka from doing it?

I agree that they also have a lot to lose, which is why I don't imagine they'd go too hard after it, but you ahve to understand that while yes, they're screwed if we completely revoke the AD trade, they're also kinda screwed if Kawhi doesn't make his decision today. Cause they lose their max slot if he doesn't, and there's no way they're getting him to take a pay cut, and with so few players left on the market what choice do they have? We've been talking about how they're questionable as a playoff team with AD/Lebron/Kawhi + G Leaguers, what are they going to do with just Lebron/AD + G Leaguers, with Kawhi in a Clippers uniform?

Again, I don't think it will actually end up making a difference. I'm pretty sure that if Pelinka picks up the phone to ask Griff to delay the trade, Griff just says no and hangs up, and any attempt for Pelinka to change that will not help him further. But I just wouldn't be surprised if we got a leak in a week or two saying that Pelinka did make that call, or at least seriously contemplate it.
    You don't risk losing a sure thing for the chance of possibly getting a player. It just won't happen. He won't go back on Griff and try and push the date. Not when it's been agreed upon this long and other deals have been made with the assurance that the trade was going through on the 6th.

If Kawhi doesn't make a decision today then that's the Lakers answer. Kawhi knows all this information. If he is serious about the Lakers then he will make the call today.

The Lakers / Pels trade will 100% happen on the 6th and Pelinka won't even be stupid enough to ask for a date push back.

The real question should be, if Kawhi doesn't make a decision today do the Lakers still do the Washington trade. I could actually see them having a contengency with the Wizards that if they strike out on a big free agent then they can back out of the trade. Even that though might be low odds.

You don't risk losing a sure thing for the chance of possibly getting a player. It just won't happen. He won't go back on Griff and try and push the date. Not when it's been agreed upon this long and other deals have been made with the assurance that the trade was going through on the 6th.

If Kawhi doesn't make a decision today then that's the Lakers answer. Kawhi knows all this information. If he is serious about the Lakers then he will make the call today.

The Lakers / Pels trade will 100% happen on the 6th and Pelinka won't even be stupid enough to ask for a date push back.

The real question should be, if Kawhi doesn't make a decision today do the Lakers still do the Washington trade. I could actually see them having a contengency with the Wizards that if they strike out on a big free agent then they can back out of the trade. Even that though might be low odds.
    You don't do a lot of things that Pelinka has been more than happy to do when you have a functioning brain. Pelinka doesn't.

But that's fine because even if he does ask, it won't change anything, so we can put that aside. It doesn't really matter.

For me, when it comes to the Wizards deal, I don't think it matters too much. That doesn't impact any of our return to my knowledge and even if LA does get guys like Mo Wagner back, it's not going to make them a much better team. They might actually be better off just signing vet minimums off the trash heap or pulling up G League stars, because even if you're high on Wagner (which I'm not), Isaac Bonga is worth only very slightly more than me in terms of NBA calibre players at this point in time.

Love Kawhi just doing laps of the country instead of making a decision

Lakers better be praying they get Kawhi. If they don't, this is their third best player.

Lakers better be praying they get Kawhi. If they don't, this is their third best player.
    3rd Best is such mislead word. More like 5th worst.

Okay so, according to Bobby Marks, these are the best free agents left. I haven't included restricted free agents like Oubre, who we know will have their offers matched (that's why Phoenix cleared up space).

1) Kawhi Leonard
    2) Demarcus Cousins
    3) Danny Green
    4) Marcus Morris
    5) Delon Wright
    6) JaMychal Green
    7) Trey Lyles
    8) Carmelo Anthony
    9) Rajon Rondo
    10) Rondae Hollis-Jefferson
    11) Iman Shumpert
    12) KCP
    13) Javale McGee
    14) Kenneth Faried
    15) Nene
    16) Joakim Noah

So, assuming they miss out on Kawhi Leonard, the best team I can assemble for LA out of those guys and what they already have is this:

PG: Rondo/Wright
    SG: KCP/Shumpert
    SF: Lebron/Kuzma
    PF: AD/Morris/JaMychal
    C: Boogie/McGee

...That's not a confident playoff team in the West. It could make it, depending on chemistry and other teams and stuff, but it's not a lock at all. That is a team of 11 men, and only 3 of them shot better than league average from 3 last season. There's the potential there for a solid defensive team, but it would require Lebron to commit on that end of the floor, which he wouldn't. There are no playmakers for others off the bench. It's a bad team.

Basketball Guru
    it make sense for kawhi to sign a long deal because only he knows what his health is.....secure that long term contract because he know his body is breaking down i guess...

So at midnight tonight all they can give an unsigned Kawhi is 28 mil right?

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    So at midnight tonight all they can give an unsigned Kawhi is 28 mil right?
    I think its 12pm noon EDT. Lakers fans on Twitter are rationalizing everything now. "Does it have to be done by noon? Doesn't Kawhi have until 11:59pm on the 6th? Can't the Lakers just wait? Pels won't pull out, it would look bad for them. Just wait it out. etc, etc."

Its too funny.

Thread Information