.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 4 of 54 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 1343

Thread: 2019 Official NBA Free Agent thread

  1. #76


  2. #77
    Yep, been talking about it in the thread for a lil while there.
    Zion ''The Earthquake'' Williamson

    Paying attention to the next draft too early.

  3. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Actually... Randle cleared up 9 million by himself. So, we do have enough for a max.

    Garland Ball
    Jrue Hart Moore
    Ingram Kenny Hill
    Zion Wood
    Vučević Oak
    I'm pretty sure the $20.2m cap space we have is figured out assuming Randle wouldn't opt in. Nobody ever believed Randle would opt in.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 06-16-2019 at 08:12 PM.

  4. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    No we don't. The $20m cap space we have is figured out assuming Randle wouldn't opt in. Nobody ever believed Randle would opt in.
    You sure about that..
    https://www.spotrac.com/nba/new-orleans-pelicans/cap/


    All the caps number seem to be including Randle and some cap holds..
    Last edited by Taker597; 06-16-2019 at 08:17 PM.

  5. #80
    We are off to good start


  6. #81
    Oh yeah, Rookie Salary from the 1st and 4th. We have to trade at least 1

  7. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    You sure about that..
    https://www.spotrac.com/nba/new-orleans-pelicans/cap/
    https://hoopshype.com/salaries/new_orleans_pelicans/

    All the caps number seem to be including Randle and cap holds..
    Maybe I'm wrong. When do those update, to include missing Randle? And do they account for having to sign Zion + #4?

    Edit: yeah, Zion is gonna be close to $10m just on his own. #4 is gonna be a couple million, not sure exactly how much.

  8. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Actually... Randle cleared up 9 million by himself. So, we do have enough for a max.

    Garland Ball
    Jrue Hart Moore
    Ingram Kenny Hill
    Zion Wood
    Vučević Oak
    No. We are only at about 19-20m if the trade happens on the 6th.

  9. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong. When do those update, to include missing Randle? And do they account for having to sign Zion + #4?

    Edit: yeah, Zion is gonna be close to $10m just on his own. #4 is gonna be a couple million, not sure exactly how much.
    We only have $68,041,271 in guarantee salary. Let me look up the draft pick salary

  10. #85
    Rookie salary for 1st and 4th pick would be.

    $8,120,700
    $6,254,900

    $14,645,600
    $68,041,271

    82,686,871

    Just $26 million. When cutting all possible cost. Rookie really aren't that cheap anymore.

  11. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Rookie salary for 1st and 4th pick would be.

    $8,120,700
    $6,254,900

    $14,645,600
    $68,041,271

    82,686,871

    Just $26 million. When cutting all possible cost.
    Are you taking into account things like Payton's cap hold?

    Also, that's last year's #1 pick salary, I'm pretty sure it goes up this year to $9. something.

  12. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Are you taking into account things like Payton's cap hold?
    Cut all Cap holds and not guarantees. Payton was only 3 million.

  13. #88
    Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Rookie salary for 1st and 4th pick would be.

    $8,120,700
    $6,254,900

    $14,645,600
    $68,041,271

    82,686,871

    Just $26 million. When cutting all possible cost.
    Who does your math? $8,120,700 + $6,254,900 = $14,375,600. Correct total is $82,416,871. But what's $270K among friends, right?

  14. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Are you taking into account things like Payton's cap hold?

    Also, that's last year's #1 pick salary, I'm pretty sure it goes up this year to $9. something.
    It goes with the cap. Cap only jumped up 8%. So, salary should jump up with it.

  15. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    Who does your math? $8,120,700 + $6,254,900 = $14,375,600. Correct total is $82,416,871. But what's $270K among friends, right?
    Phones and fat fingers.

  16. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    It goes with the cap. Cap only jumped up 8%. So, salary should jump up with it.
    You can also offer 120% of the rookie scale, I think. Do not be surprised if Zion is given that.

    So 8% of $8.1 is $648k.
    So we're around $8.7
    120% of that is $10.4

    Do not be surprised if that's what Zion ends up getting.

  17. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    You can also offer 120% of the rookie scale, I think. Do not be surprised if Zion is given that.

    So 8% of $8.1 is $648k.
    So we're around $8.7
    120% of that is $10.4

    Do not be surprised if that's what Zion ends up getting.
    Well, Now we understand the cap like our friends on R/ Lakers. Lol Let FA began. Lol

  18. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Well, Now we understand the cap like our friends on R/ Lakers. Lol Let FA began. Lol
    I honestly wish there was a site that actually kept up with the cap, updated regularly, and explained things in real detail. There are tons of resources out there but a lot of them just assume you either already understand it, or they just link to the CBA.

    And I love basketball, I really do, and I've read big chunks of the CBA, but I don't wanna have to keep referring to it all the time. It's excruciating.

    PLEASE. SOMEBODY WHO UNDERSTANDS THE CAP PROPERLY.

    JUST TELL US HOW MUCH CASH WE GOT.

  19. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post


    I feel awful but I totally agree and think we should sign him.
    pretty sure thats what Gentry wants Ball to be. I think he's a big factor in why we keep Ball. This is his litmus test as a coach to see if he can turn Ball into a Rubio or better point-guard.

  20. #95
    Read through this thread, and still don't have a clue how much money we have--Are we close to a max deal?

  21. #96
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyHornetsWhy View Post
    Read through this thread, and still don't have a clue how much money we have--Are we close to a max deal?
    Ive heard 18.8 with a realistic maximum of 24 million

  22. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyHornetsWhy View Post
    Read through this thread, and still don't have a clue how much money we have--Are we close to a max deal?
    Everything I've heard is around $20m. Potentially more, up to around $24m, and also potentially a little less, depending on when the trade officially goes down for AD.

    None of those numbers would be enough for a max deal.

    My question is: why does getting a max deal matter? Just because you have cap doesn't mean you MUST spend it. None of the big name free agents this year fit our time-line, and we aren't going all in on winning immediately, for obviously reasons, so who cares if we have a max or not?

  23. #98
    Starter HartOfaPelican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Los Angeles CA
    Posts
    224
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Everything I've heard is around $20m. Potentially more, up to around $24m, and also potentially a little less, depending on when the trade officially goes down for AD.

    None of those numbers would be enough for a max deal.

    My question is: why does getting a max deal matter? Just because you have cap doesn't mean you MUST spend it. None of the big name free agents this year fit our time-line, and we aren't going all in on winning immediately, for obviously reasons, so who cares if we have a max or not?
    I 100% agree with this statement. Stick with the timeline. The lakers are a perfect example of this. They were on a great timeline and then Lebron came. Poof.... the organization panicked and blew up everything. There is no need for the Pelicans to put themselves in this position as well. If a FA that is available fits our needs AND TIMELINE then go for it. If not. Let’s see what this team does this year and go from there.

  24. #99
    Quote Originally Posted by HartOfaPelican View Post
    I 100% agree with this statement. Stick with the timeline. The lakers are a perfect example of this. They were on a great timeline and then Lebron came. Poof.... the organization panicked and blew up everything. There is no need for the Pelicans to put themselves in this position as well.
    The lakers currently have better odds to win the nba title than every other team in the league. Every. Single. One.

    Oh gosh no I don't want to put ourselves in a situation like that.

    The reality is the lakers are in an *incredibly strong* position now. They've got a top 5 nba player in his prime who will be there some time likely. That alone puts them in a good position. Then they have an aging all time great who is still great and has 3 more years on his contract, and while in 2021-22 it's a safe bet he will no longer be a top 5 or even top 10 player he's likely to still be good. Then he comes off the books.

    And they still have enough money for another max player this offseason....they can make a choice between that or spending that max slot on 2-3 shooters/more depth.

    What the lakers don't have is draft picks/draft control going forward, but if they are really good this won't matter a whole lot. My fear is that when these pick swaps are a possible Laker fans will be making memes showing AD smiling and holding the LOB trophy from a month before saying "How about those pic swaps?".....

    But what the lakers do have right now after this trade is what we don't and hope we get one day again- and that's a true superstar player. Anytime you have a chance to get an Anthony Davis type player who wants to play for your franchise a long time, you do it. Every. Single. Time. Because apart from injury risk(and you never know with that) that is the gold standard in the nba- those sort of superstar players. Lebrons, KDs, Kawhis, ADs, Stephs. really just those 5 when healthy. Those are money every single time barring injury. All the stuff we got....the balls, the ingrams, the #4 pick(Garland? Hunter?), pick swaps with a franchise who will still have a great player- there are so many question marks associated with all that we have already gone over. There are no question marks outside of injury with AD.

    So let's not pretend that we are in a better position than the lakers. not now, and not in some vague future timeline. They've got the 26 year old superstar who wants to play with them. We don't. We have a lot of maybes and whatifs. And I still like the trade giving our options, but trying to act like we are in a good position relative to the team that is the freaking odds on favorite to win the nba title next year and has a 26 year old top 5(at worst) player who is going to commit to them for a long time....that's insane. Guess what? 4 years from now...AD will probably still be with the Lakers and will be turning all of 30....that's how old steph and KD are now. We can talk about Lebron getting older all we want...that's fine and dandy, but it doesn't change the fact that AD is going to be in his prime for awhile....

  25. #100
    I think you're being ridiculously generous to LA.

    Do they have real better odds than anyone else to win the championship next year? Not really. They have good odds, but are they really more likely to win than, say Toronto, if they keep Kawhi? Or Milwaukee, if they retain their guys? Sure, those guys might not stay on those teams, you might argue, but LA has literally nobody after LBJ and AD, and they may not be able to sign anyone else of serious quality either.

    You say they still have another max slot. Not really. They might, if Griff agrees to move the execution date of this deal, but the entire reason this has been a big deal is because if it stays as it currently is, LA does NOT have another max slot this summer.

    You're essentially arguing that the Brooklyn Nets won the Celtics deal, because who cares about picks and swaps when you've got SuPeRsTaRs! Ignore the fact that you have little to no depth behind them, ignore the fact that one of your superstars is about to turn 35 and is already visibly declining on D, ignore the fact that the other star you have has a long record of NOT leading teams to the playoffs.

    If I'm looking at next season only, then sure, I'd rather be the Lakers.

    If I'm looking at the next 5, 6, 7 years, I'd MUCH rather be us.

    Essentially, LA are betting that in three or four years time, they'll still be a better team than us. Lebron will be damn near 40. They have no guarantee of a star this summer, and no stars available next summer. Come on.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •