Pelicans Report

Page 39 of 54 FirstFirst ... 29 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 49 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Official NBA Free Agent thread

I know most of you noticed how guard heavy the summer league team is. I wonder if this will be a preview of the regular season. The Pelicans signed 3 guards among the 4 undrafted, have Carr and Blueitt from last year, drafted two and have a number of guards on the regular roster. Could you see a three guard offense with two bigs (Williamson and Favors)?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee2000 View Post
    I know most of you noticed how guard heavy the summer league team is. I wonder if this will be a preview of the regular season. The Pelicans signed 3 guards among the 4 undrafted, have Carr and Blueitt from last year, drafted two and have a number of guards on the regular roster. Could you see a three guard offense with two bigs (Williamson and Favors)?
    Assuming no more trades, I would be extremely surprised if we didn't see relatively regular 3-guard lineups. Carr and Bluiett will not be involved with that, they won't have real roster spots.

The guards we have going into the season right now are: Jrue, Lonzo, Redick, Moore, NAW, and Jackson.

I haven't done any serious analysis on this yet, but just on instinct I feel like rolling out Lonzo with Redick and Moore could help open up the offense with a little more spacing. Similarly, you could put out a lineup with Jrue, Lonzo, and Redick if you wanted to maximise defensive versatility while keeping some shooting on the floor: I imagine there would be some additional shooting from the bigs there, possibily with Melli involved. If Melli translates well to the NBA, I could see fairly severe Lonzo/Redick/Jrue/Melli/Zion minutes.

At the same time, if you wanted to maximise Ingram's abilities, you'd want to make sure he was on the floor with shooters. Possibly adding him to the Lonzo/Redick/Moore trio would give him a little more space to operate. 5th man in that lineup could change depending on how certain lineups work together. If Melli really does well, you could go with a mostly large lineup of something like Lonzo/Redick/Ingram/Melli/Zion, and then switch out Lonzo for Jrue as the rotation goes.

Plenty of time to work it out, but there's a lot of potential for very complex rotations.
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Assuming no more trades, I would be extremely surprised if we didn't see relatively regular 3-guard lineups. Carr and Bluiett will not be involved with that, they won't have real roster spots.

The guards we have going into the season right now are: Jrue, Lonzo, Redick, Moore, NAW, and Jackson.

I haven't done any serious analysis on this yet, but just on instinct I feel like rolling out Lonzo with Redick and Moore could help open up the offense with a little more spacing. Similarly, you could put out a lineup with Jrue, Lonzo, and Redick if you wanted to maximise defensive versatility while keeping some shooting on the floor: I imagine there would be some additional shooting from the bigs there, possibily with Melli involved. If Melli translates well to the NBA, I could see fairly severe Lonzo/Redick/Jrue/Melli/Zion minutes.

At the same time, if you wanted to maximise Ingram's abilities, you'd want to make sure he was on the floor with shooters. Possibly adding him to the Lonzo/Redick/Moore trio would give him a little more space to operate. 5th man in that lineup could change depending on how certain lineups work together. If Melli really does well, you could go with a mostly large lineup of something like Lonzo/Redick/Ingram/Melli/Zion, and then switch out Lonzo for Jrue as the rotation goes.

Plenty of time to work it out, but there's a lot of potential for very complex rotations.
    I hope Gentry and crew are up for all the scrutiny these rotations are going to get...

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    I hope Gentry and crew are up for all the scrutiny these rotations are going to get...
    like I said, I have barely even thought of them. I'm not saying they're good rotations. My criteria was literally

1 ball handler + shooting + probably Zion

Which is not a great way to build a rotation in reality.

In fairness, it's not like Gentry's own rotations don't get scrutiny as it is. Rotation management has long been one of his weak points.

Have we traded Hart?

Quote Originally Posted by PolishFan View Post
    Have we traded Hart?
    Nope, but I forgot he existed. Knew I was forgetting someone, but couldn't remember who.

Like I said, no serious thought or analysis yet this is what I get for typing stuff out on my phone while distracted. Gotta take my L

Nope, but I forgot he existed. Knew I was forgetting someone, but couldn't remember who.

Like I said, no serious thought or analysis yet this is what I get for typing stuff out on my phone while distracted. Gotta take my L
    I recently realised that I often forget about him when I think about the team. We just have so many guards

What about a lineup of

Lonzo
    Jrue
    Redick
    Ingram
    Zion

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    What about a lineup of

Lonzo
    Jrue
    Redick
    Ingram
    Zion
    Nice small ball lineup. Gulden St does that when they put Draymond at the 5.

What about a lineup of

Lonzo
    Jrue
    Redick
    Ingram
    Zion
    we will probably see that line up during games but it won't be the starting one

Quote Originally Posted by PolishFan View Post
    we will probably see that line up during games but it won't be the starting one
    Agreed I know that just curious of what people thought about it, I wonder if the advantage we gain offensively from having ingram at the 4 is larger than the defensive deficit of him guarding 4s

Unlike the role he played in Utah, I think Favors will be a bigger offensive factor with the Pelicans than most people imagine. In Utah, he wasn't required to score; nor did he play in an up tempo offense with a playmaker (so I am told) like Ball. Already a lifetime double digit scorer with a shooting percentage of 52% in an average of about 25 minutes a game, I suspect his numbers will blossom at Smoothie King.
    Last edited by As I See It; 07-02-2019 at 02:53 PM.

Basketball Guru
    Agreed I know that just curious of what people thought about it, I wonder if the advantage we gain offensively from having ingram at the 4 is larger than the defensive deficit of him guarding 4s

if we have the lead with that lineup then teams will have to go small to adjust to us to try and cut into our lead...

To go along with the theme of us having a bunch of guards: Gentry can get really weird experimenting if he wants. I know Hart has defended 4's on occasion so there's a possibility of a Jrue/JJ/Moore/Hart/Zion lineup just to get Zion to play in oceans of space. Or switch out Moore for Lonzo and Jrue for Frank and just tell them to literally never stop running. Not really suggesting either of these, but there's so many different lineups to try and I, for one, cannot ****ing wait to see them in action.

76’ers offering a max deal to a guy that can’t shoot.

Last edited by 13 - 3; 07-02-2019 at 03:01 PM.

I believe Blueitt has a chance to make roster if he can hit the outside shot and spread the court. Just my view. I am careful not to say something is already set too early. Lots of competition is not a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee2000 View Post
    I believe Blueitt has a chance to make roster if he can hit the outside shot and spread the court. Just my view. I am careful not to say something is already set too early. Lots of competition is not a bad thing.
    My longshot is Tony Carr. I think our need is greater as backup point guard.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Dear God. Please let Kawhi curve the Lakers.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    Dear God. Please let Kawhi curve the Lakers.
    I know....this is my new dream.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar

dammit

Thats not a "dammit" signing. Doesnt even make my eyebrow twitch.

Danny Green needs to get his act together and stop playin though. Go back to Toronto you fool.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Thats not a "dammit" signing. Doesnt even make my eyebrow twitch.

Danny Green needs to get his act together and stop playin though. Go back to Toronto you fool.
    i think he is waiting on kawhi to make his move....green should get about 10mil a year......if kawhi goes to the lakers then maybe green go to dallas for the money....i dont see him going to the lakers with kawhi for less money but you never know....

Yeah, Jared Dudley is not a needle mover. He was talked about a lot of as possible Pels target, but that's only because he had value for us beyond his play, as a good locker-room vet. LA does not need that: they need high quality NBA players, and Dudley isn't really that anymore.

Something tells me Kawhi has placed a sizable bet in Vegas

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    i think he is waiting on kawhi to make his move....green should get about 10mil a year......if kawhi goes to the lakers then maybe green go to dallas for the money....i dont see him going to the lakers with kawhi for less money but you never know....
    He also did an interview on the Breakfast Club and said he might follow Kawhi to the Lakers if he goes there, or go bak to Toronto if he goes there. He's like a little puppy.

Thread Information