Pelicans Report

Page 11 of 54 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Official NBA Free Agent thread

I mentioned Maxi Kleber earlier. It appears he may be the perfect fit for the Pelicans (on paper) given the current roster per the attached analysis. He could give us the most bang for the buck. Imagine what could happen if we can build put together a team that can stay together and mature together Overpay Kleber, if we must, in $$$, but not in years and see what the group can do.

https://www.thebirdwrites.com/2019/6...er-shot-charts
    Last edited by As I See It; 06-28-2019 at 10:33 PM.

I'm all for bringing back Mirotic. He start the season at the 5 as we ease Hayes at a modest 8-10 minutes to develop him and try to push to 20 minutes by the season end with Mir going back to stretch 4 role about 50% of his minutes. Have a steady 3 man rotation with Mir, Hayes, and Zion.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    I'm all for bringing back Mirotic. He start the season at the 5 as we ease Hayes at a modest 8-10 minutes to develop him and try to push to 20 minutes by the season end with Mir going back to stretch 4 role about 50% of his minutes. Have a steady 3 man rotation with Mir, Hayes, and Zion.
    While I'm all for bringing Niko back, I really like his game, I don't believe Hayes will be ready to split 50% of the center minutes even by the end of the season.

I really think Hayes will need an entire year and I wouldn't look for him to really start playing until All Star break 18 months from now. I see his first year extremely similar to Clint Capela where his first year he averages under 10mpg.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    While I'm all for bringing Niko back, I really like his game, I don't believe Hayes will be ready to split 50% of the center minutes even by the end of the season.

I really think Hayes will need an entire year and I wouldn't look for him to really start playing until All Star break 18 months from now. I see his first year extremely similar to Clint Capela where his first year he averages under 10mpg.
    I know this... I just have a good feeling that he'll exceed expectations in his first year.

I know this... I just have a good feeling that he'll exceed expectations in his first year.
    I feel like Hayes is a quick learner. The difference between his first game in college and his last game in college was noticeable even, and that wasn't even 30 games.

I could see him getting Diallo minutes this season and being at least as good as Diallo was in them, and very probably better on defense. Diallo got 14 minutes a game last year: I don't see too much why 10-15 minutes a game for Hayes couldn't be a reasonable starting point, that could be increased or decreased depending on his production.

There's a risk of coddling him too much, I think, and kind of delaying his development by protecting him from the NBA game. I attribute a lot of Giannis' success from the fact that he got playing time, was allowed to make mistakes, develop, and feel his game evolve around him. As a 19 year old rookie, Giannis got 24 minutes a night despite the fact that he only put up 7 points and 4 rebounds in that time, had a -11 rating, an 0.1 VORP, .030 WS/48 and a PER of 10. He sucked as a rookie, in terms of actual production, but I feel like being given that chance to really just grind through a year on a real NBA team, getting real NBA minutes, contributed a lot to his explosion in year 2.
    Basketball.

That would be awesome if he did. A lot will probably depend on how quickly he can add weight to his frame.

That would be awesome if he did. A lot will probably depend on how quickly he can add weight to his frame.
    With how Gentry likes to run a marathon every night. I doubt that weight will stick for a whole season till his metabolism slows down in his mid 20s like AD. AD was always thin till he finally out paced his metabolism I remember a few season where AD started the season bulky, but the season grind thin him out a bit. Now he can consistently stay at 250lbs. Also, Hayes weight almost the same as AD when he got drafted. So, He isn't in a bad starting position. Still light.

TOo Be honest... For one player that played basketball for only about 2and 1/2 years vs someone that was groomed into it... They aren't soo different.

With how Gentry likes to run a marathon every night. I doubt that weight will stick for a whole season till his metabolism slows down in his mid 20s like AD. AD was always thin till he finally out paced his metabolism I remember a few season where AD started the season bulky, but the season grind thin him out a bit. Now he can consistently stay at 250lbs. Also, Hayes weight almost the same as AD when he got drafted. So, He isn't in a bad starting position. Still light.

TOo Be honest... For one player that played basketball for only about 2and 1/2 years vs someone that was groomed into it... They aren't soo different.

I agree with that. One quick point though, Hayes didn't just play basketball for 2 1/2 seasons. He played his entire time in highschool. He just wasn't a star until he hit his growth spurt. His mom was also apparently a really good college player so he's probably grown up knowing how to play basketball from an IQ level really well. He just split his time with football until he grew too big for it.

I've actually made the comparison to AD before with Hayes. In a lot of ways I think it sticks. Athletic bigs who played guard until they hit a late growth spurt with ball skills and a face up game. The frame to add a lot of weight and the ability to run up and down the court. Hayes is more raw as far as big man rebounding and defense goes, but it's a remarkably similar story and skill set.

I'm really excited about Okafor. The dude is still young and was starting to have it click last season. I'm all for bringing Niko back and think Hayes can play some decent min this season, but I am excited to see Okafor continue to grow.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Yes Hayes was a big time receiver in high school and that was his sport of choice. But then he grew and you don’t see too many 6’11” receivers in the NFL. But being 6’5” early in high school helped him in basketball since that is a great height for most high schools. I’m just glad he played the sport, so when his growth spurt happened he had another sport to bring his athleticism too. That is why he has such good hands IMO. He catches every lob thrown to him.

if oak would jist add a 3 to his scoring it be huge I mean he has a good stoke idk why he wouldn't be putting in hours just shooting

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

The stat that really jumps out at me is the foul trouble he gets into. His defensive discipline along with developing low post offense (and of course a jumpshot too) has to be the main focal points. Can't develop as a player if he can't stay on the floor.koo

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    if oak would jist add a 3 to his scoring it be huge I mean he has a good stoke idk why he wouldn't be putting in hours just shooting

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
    I’m sure he can, but he has just never bothered as he is fairly skilled in the paint. Okafor is a player that is just waiting to be unleashed, but he needs to find the confidence to do so. Would like to see him start taking and making 3’s as you said because he is skilled as hell; he just needs to apply it to the court.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetzplaya View Post
    The stat that really jumps out at me is the foul trouble he gets into. His defensive discipline along with developing low post offense (and of course a jumpshot too) has to be the main focal points. Can't develop as a player if he can't stay on the floor.koo
    He just has played so little center that he does not know yet about defensive positioning or how to rebound as a big. It's certainly his biggest weakness and I'm sure is one of the main focuses the team will have. The guy went from backup PG on the JV team his freshman year of high school all the way through most of his Junior year on the bench in games. Then he hit his massive growth spurt and went from not playing during games and on the bench as a guard to being a starting center his senior year.

It's understandable that he'd have weaknesses, especially defensively, while playing such a new position to him. Those guard skills and athletic abilities certainly show a ton of promise though.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar

Let the games begin!

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post

Let the games begin!
    YASSS social media commander. You are da bomb btw. Hopefully (if we sign him) it’s no more than 3 years with the 3rd being a team option. I like Horford a lot, but a long term crazy money deal is not the route we should go.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post

Let the games begin!
    Let's dance Al!

I firmly believe/hope this is Al just having fun with social media. Like the Paul pierce rocket ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Creative View Post
    Let's dance Al!
    its been talked about. Wouldnt hurt my feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetzplaya View Post
    Are you talking about Hayes, or Okafor?

If it's Hayes, I have one thing to tell you: don't worry about his foul rate right now.

Young defensive bigs foul. A lot. They just do, it's part and parcel of their game. If you take rookie Shaq, Ben Wallace, Alonzo Mourning, Ewing, Dikembe, Gobert, and Mark Eaton, you find that they all fouled at an astounding rate. Wallace, Eaton, and Gobert actually averaged fouling out per 100. Even more impressive, Eaton averaged fouling out per 36! And he went on to be a 2x DPOY, 5x All Defense, 4x Blocks leader, and finished 4th all time in total blocks and 1st all time in blocks per game.

Hayes will be okay. If he's still fouling like this at the end of his second season, then worry.

I firmly believe/hope this is Al just having fun with social media. Like the Paul pierce rocket ship.
    Why hope? Al shares an agent with Jrue and is a smart, unselfish guy. If anyone would sacrifice a little in terms of contract for fit and legacy, Horford is the guy who might do it.

Why not hope instead that it's a 3 year deal, with year 3 as a team option?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Why hope? Al shares an agent with Jrue and is a smart, unselfish guy. If anyone would sacrifice a little in terms of contract for fit and legacy, Horford is the guy who might do it.

That would be ideal. My fear is that the 4yr/112m deal is true.

I should reiterate I'm not against Horford as a player. I see the fit just like everyone else. My only concern is based around contract size and length.

...we get to go McDonalds
    F it. It ain't our money. We winning next 3 championships.

That would be ideal. My fear is that the 4yr/112m deal is true.

I should reiterate I'm not against Horford as a player. I see the fit just like everyone else. My only concern is based around contract size and length.
    I don't believe that the 4yr/$112, deal is real. Or, if it is, it's being offered by some nutjob team like Phoenix that Horford would never sign anyway. They're just using it to drive leverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

Nahhhh... He would take that 3yr/60 deal from the Celtics. . Which is fair contract. He is looking for a toxic CP3 contract. With 4th year player option.

I hope we pull out of this contract talk for a cheaper and younger option in Mir. He is just gonna be an high paid motivational speaker and culture setter. We need a vet like him, but not at that rate. We can bring in Rondo and Mir for pennies on the dollar for what Horford is looking to get.

Everything about the Horford situation just screams aging vet fighting for last payday..

Thread Information