Pelicans Report

Page 10 of 54 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Official NBA Free Agent thread

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Yeah, I know Hart has been talking and I saw the clip. It's good to see.

But no matter how much Josh Hart talks sweet to Harris on TV, that doesn't make me want to pay him thirty million dollars a year.
    Last year he made 14.8m and 16m,17.2m, 16m the years prior. I would not say a 2x salary raise would not be in play here. He is 26 so right in his peak years. He may at best reach to say in the low 20s which could leave enough on the table for another FA at about 10m. I personally wouldnt go any higher then 20m for year 1 with declining for 4 years. That is if you really want him...if not pass on it.
    Last edited by Pels4Life; 06-27-2019 at 04:55 PM.

ONLY way we sign Harris is if we plan on this being our starting lineup and just running teams out the gym:

Lonzo
    Jrue
    Ingram
    Harris
    Zion

Call me crazy, and I’m not saying I want this lineup, but it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if Gentry did.

I’ll go into more detail later but I think I remember Gentry saying the amount of offense a smaller running lineup gains is more than the amount of defense it would lose, also because the other teams bigs would be tired from all the running and wouldn’t be as effective on offense

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    ONLY way we sign Harris is if we plan on this being our starting lineup and just running teams out the gym:

Lonzo
    Jrue
    Ingram
    Harris
    Zion

Call me crazy, and I’m not saying I want this lineup, but it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if Gentry did.

I’ll go into more detail later but I think I remember Gentry saying the amount of offense a smaller running lineup gains is more than the amount of defense it would lose, also because the other teams bigs would be tired from all the running and wouldn’t be as effective on offense
    I think we would start him at SF and have Ingram off the bench. Especially with him coming straight off a Blood Clot. I think we can make it work. I hope Ingram wouldn't mind coming off the bench.... I propose I'm pipe dreaming with that one though.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetzplaya View Post
    I think we would start him at SF and have Ingram off the bench. Especially with him coming straight off a Blood Clot. I think we can make it work. I hope Ingram wouldn't mind coming off the bench.... I propose I'm pipe dreaming with that one though.
    Harris plays far better at PF than SF, just as a reference. Pretty sure I saw that he actually has a negative RPM over the last 1500 minutes or so played at SF, but a positive one at PF.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pels4Life View Post
    Last year he made 14.8m and 16m,17.2m, 16m the years prior. I would not say a 2x salary raise would not be in play here. He is 26 so right in his peak years. He may at best reach to say in the low 20s which could leave enough on the table for another FA at about 10m. I personally wouldnt go any higher then 20m for year 1 with declining for 4 years. That is if you really want him...if not pass on it.
    Philly pretty much have to retain him because even if he leaves, their cap is pretty messed up and they won't really be able to add to it. They need to try and retain him and Butler if they want to ''add'' talent long term. Since they're already over the cap just resigning him at all, they'll offer him a max or close to it. You want him, you'll have to outbid Philly.

Boston now in drivers seat to replace Kyrie with Kemba per Woj. Charlotte could have traded Kemba in Feb but did not.

Boston and that driver's seat, eh?

They're like the kids on ol' Borderlands that would do all the work and then get fragged and looted.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Boston now in drivers seat to replace Kyrie with Kemba per Woj. Charlotte could have traded Kemba in Feb but did not.
    I love this nice for Kemba. I think he will be going into the perfect system for his game and will have 2 very good young studs in Brown and Tatum as his running mates. I think he is an even better fit then Kyrie for the Celtics and puts them right back in the discussion as a top 4 team in what is becoming a deeper Eastern Conference.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post

Lonzo
    Jrue
    Ingram
    Harris
    Zion

I think Harris would be a great fit here but I just don’t see us tying that kind of $ up especially when we have Ingram and Zion as the 3/4.. Now small ball lineups to finish games it would absolutely make sense. That means we would be putting Ingram who Griff believes is a foundational piece on the bench in what is a contract year. Signing Harris would be a steal for a year until we have to start paying some of our young guys. I think we have the star caliber players in place right now and wouldn’t be a wise decision to tie up all of our flexibility in Harris. I really like the squad we have now and would like to see them get the playing time to grow together and keep our flexibility to resign our players like Ingram, Wood, Okafor, Frank, Keinrich, and Hart. Maybe I’m being bias but it’s hard for me to find anyone in the starting unit I would rather pay someone $ to come in and replace and that also includes the bench. We could use a vet or 2 for the bench to help bring along the young guys but I don’t want to see their PT diminished. That small ball lineup you put up would be pretty deadly so I won’t count it out.

Last edited by Pelicanidae; 06-28-2019 at 07:00 AM.

I gotta say, this off season has been way more fun than off-seasons usually are. Not even just for the obvious, Pelicans related reasons (getting Zion, getting Hayes, getting NAW, AD trade, etc), but just when you consider how much stuff we don't know.

Obviously the moratorium holds things until the 6th, but we're basically 2 days away from the start of free agency and we know almost nothing.

Where is KD going? Some people say he's going to resign in Golden State, but others say the injury broke their relationship. We've heard smoke about him going to New York, but now people think he might want to go to Brooklyn to join up with Kyrie, who he was supposed to be joining in New York, but now it seems like Kyrie might end up in LA anyway. If he doesn't end up in LA, then they could end up with Jimmy Butler or Kemba Walker or Tobias Harris, but there's real speculation that Butler may end up staying in Philadelphia, or possibly in a S&T sending him to Houston, and Kemba seems to be on his way to Boston but also possibly New York.

Some people speculate that Kawhi might go to LA, but there are very few good reasons to think that: the evidence seems to be saying it's more likely that he either stays in Toronto or goes to the Clippers, who are losing Patrick Beverley because he wants a deal that sits around 3yrs/$40m, which they aren't likely to give. 3yrs/$40m though is kinda reasonable compared to Al Horford, who is leaving Boston because he wants a 4yr/$112m contract that is apparently being offered by some mystery suitor. That kind of money would probably be enough to acquire D'Angelo Russell: or at least, that's what LA is hoping because there's interest there too, although they will have some stiff competition because apparently D-Lo is also considering the Suns.

How many offseasons are like this? Free agency is never usually this crazy. We usually get a few surprises but most stuff is known weeks away, but this year we're two days away from free agency and we don't know where Kawhi Leonard, Tobias Harris, Kyrie Irving, Kevin Durant, Klay Thompson, Kemba Walker, Jimmy Butler, Patrick Beverley, Al Horford, or D'Angelo Russell are going. There isn't even clear evidence linking most of them to anywhere.

I gotta say, this off season has been way more fun than off-seasons usually are. Not even just for the obvious, Pelicans related reasons (getting Zion, getting Hayes, getting NAW, AD trade, etc), but just when you consider how much stuff we don't know.

Obviously the moratorium holds things until the 6th, but we're basically 2 days away from the start of free agency and we know almost nothing.

Where is KD going? Some people say he's going to resign in Golden State, but others say the injury broke their relationship. We've heard smoke about him going to New York, but now people think he might want to go to Brooklyn to join up with Kyrie, who he was supposed to be joining in New York, but now it seems like Kyrie might end up in LA anyway. If he doesn't end up in LA, then they could end up with Jimmy Butler or Kemba Walker or Tobias Harris, but there's real speculation that Butler may end up staying in Philadelphia, or possibly in a S&T sending him to Houston, and Kemba seems to be on his way to Boston but also possibly New York.

Some people speculate that Kawhi might go to LA, but there are very few good reasons to think that: the evidence seems to be saying it's more likely that he either stays in Toronto or goes to the Clippers, who are losing Patrick Beverley because he wants a deal that sits around 3yrs/$40m, which they aren't likely to give. 3yrs/$40m though is kinda reasonable compared to Al Horford, who is leaving Boston because he wants a 4yr/$112m contract that is apparently being offered by some mystery suitor. That kind of money would probably be enough to acquire D'Angelo Russell: or at least, that's what LA is hoping because there's interest there too, although they will have some stiff competition because apparently D-Lo is also considering the Suns.

How many offseasons are like this? Free agency is never usually this crazy. We usually get a few surprises but most stuff is known weeks away, but this year we're two days away from free agency and we don't know where Kawhi Leonard, Tobias Harris, Kyrie Irving, Kevin Durant, Klay Thompson, Kemba Walker, Jimmy Butler, Patrick Beverley, Al Horford, or D'Angelo Russell are going. There isn't even clear evidence linking most of them to anywhere.
    This makes the NBA a LOT better. Leave us in suspense for what's to happen. I hate when we already kniw where players are going. But also, theres so much potential for a lot of teams this year. The right free agents on the right teams can mean getting a title or not since the NBA is wide open this year...... However I consider any offseason where the Lakers fail a successful off-season BUT that doesnt seem likely.
    Last edited by hornetzplaya; 06-28-2019 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Boston and that driver's seat, eh?

They're like the kids on ol' Borderlands that would do all the work and then get fragged and looted.
    Kemba may actually be better in that system than Kyrie.

Shout to mashing up Woj and @Dril tweets to accurately diagnose the reality of the LA Lakers

I wish we could sign DLo cause he’s probably the only guy I like to sign close to the max. A young guy that could grow with this team, but acquiring Lonzo Ball kind of nixed that move. That’s the reason I liked the Knicks deal, so we could get that center Robinson. We don’t need a wing which is crazy considering that has the been the position of need for a decade plus. I guess we could use a true backup small forward, but I think Hart & Moore can get it done there. We don’t really need a point guard with Ball, Jrue, and Jackson on the roster IMO. Center is the position we kind of need, but we have our future in Jaxson Hayes. If we want to be a serious playoff contender we need another veteran since Jrue & Moore are our only veteran players and they currently play the same position. Al Horford would be the best fit, but 4 years at $112 million is way too rich for my blood. I’m worried we are that mystery team since he would be the best fit out of all the top free agents out there. We could use a backup 4, but Hayes might see more time there as a rookie since he’s about the same size AD was coming into the league. We could also use a backup point guard, but I don’t see it as a must if NAW can play the position with Frank coming along as a viable backup option. Our biggest need would have to be a big man that can shoot it from 3 cause right now Zion, Ingram, Jrue, & Ball don’t have anyone to provide the space needed. Hopefully Ingram & Jrue have good years from behind the arc. So if Horford is too rich for us, we better look to bring back Niko, sign Brook Lopez, or Dewayne Dedmon. Watching Brook Lopez, that guy has Steph Curry range on some of his 3s. If we could get him on a two year deal that would be ideal cause I want to see Jaxson starting by 2021. I would look to add him and bring back Elfrid Payton on two year deal as well. That would be perfect.

C: Lopez, Okafor, Wood
    PF: Zion, Hayes, Williams
    SF: Ingram, Hart
    SG: Jrue, Moore, NAW
    PG: Ball, Payton, Jackson

That would be a sweet opening day roster. We got our stretch 5 that can space the floor better than most centers. We got 3 good bigs off the bench in Hayes, Okafor, & Wood. We got 2 great fits at point guard to run Gentry’s offense. We got 5 good wings for a nice rotation at the 2 & 3. We have three good 3 point shooters in Lopez, Moore, & NAW. We would have 3 good point guards with 2 good combo guards, which you need in today’s NBA. Our second team would be looking pretty good.

Any interest in Dedmon? That is the perfect fit active big out there. Pelicans can be a playoff team with him finishing the lineup. Also allows the team to take their time with Hayes.

I'll also throw up if the Lakers sign him. Please go chasing after bigger names Plinko moron.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Any interest in Dedmon? That is the perfect fit active big out there. Pelicans can be a playoff team with him finishing the lineup. Also allows the team to take their time with Hayes.

I'll also throw up if the Lakers sign him. Please go chasing after bigger names Plinko moron.
    I think every team in the NBA is interested in Dedmon. He's one of those guys who I would love to sign but who, since every team thinks they're gonna get him with the MLE, will probably end up being overpaid by some team.

I think every team in the NBA is interested in Dedmon. He's one of those guys who I would love to sign but who, since every team thinks they're gonna get him with the MLE, will probably end up being overpaid by some team.
    Well definitely not worth overpaying. He's a role player and fringe starter. That is to be avoided.

But would be an excellent player to add to the rotation.

Are we still interested in Beal? Since Wash has no GM(and likes crap)this might be a good time to strike!

Are we still interested in Beal? Since Wash has no GM(and likes crap)this might be a good time to strike!
    They do have an acting GM. Why would anything have changed since the draft when we had the #4 pick available as well and could not pry him away?

The fact that Washington doesn't have a real, concrete GM is precisely why it's not a good time to strike at all. Their temporary guy very likely does not have the authority from ownership to make a deal of that scale.

So this is what we think we know at this point.

Kemba to Boston.
    Klay stays in Golden State on a 5yr/$190m deal
    Kyrie to Brooklyn, or not
    Khris Middleton stays with the Bucks, or not
    Vucevic stays in Orlando on 4yrs/$90m.

**HYPOTHETICAL, not real**

Al Horford to NOLA, but at a surprisingly lower number than everyone thought. 3 years $75 million with his 3rd year a player option. One can dream right.

If he would sign a 2 year deal, I would be cool with him $60 million
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 06-28-2019 at 06:31 PM.

Will any of the players acquired be here for Zion's prime?

What type of FA's can the Pelicans chase? Can the fill the cap space, then use Bi-Annual or Mid-Level Exceptions?
    Last edited by ColoradoCajun; 06-28-2019 at 08:17 PM.

Wow, big surprise.

Thread Information