Pelicans Report

Thread: AD vs Zion - potential at lottery

AD vs Zion - potential at lottery

Who you got re. Greater potential at time of lottery?

It's close but it's Zion

Very close, but by all reports he has all-world motor combined with all time gifts

Pretty much could be describing AD, that's why need to keep both

Dang that’s exciting.

AD because of his size. That isn’t to say Zion can’t grow or learn to compensate for it, but AD was ridiculous (plus he grew up as a guard so guard skills came natural to him). Zion should come out firing in the league sooner than AD did though.

People talk about “well Zion isn’t a shooter.” Yeah, he isn’t a shooter, but then again, you’re on meth, so obviously it doesn’t look like he is a shooter, plus that’s not a parrot on your shoulder, it’s a rat. Get out of here pirate man.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

AD wasn't a shooter when he came in the league either

AD is the prototype big man in today’s NBA. Not too many guys his size can do what he does.

Zion is an animal we haven’t seen before really. He’s like a mix between Charles Barkley & Vince Carter. A smaller power forward that can be one of the very best like Barkley, but with the unbelievable athleticism that Vince Carter had coming into the league.

AD has reached his potential, so you have to give it to him. But Zion has a chance to be just as good if not better. Both will likely be seen as two of the all time greats. I think Zion has a decent shot that will only get better. I’ve seen him many 3s for Duke last year.

Zion, out of college. AD was a defensive monster and everybody knew that, but pretty much nobody expected AD to have the offensive power that he's grown into. If you go back to 2012 and can find me more than a dozen people claiming AD was gonna be 30 points a night, I'd be stunned.

Zion, on the other hand, has a strong offensive skill-set out of the gate and is still a very promising defender.
    Basketball.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    The most common thing I remember was saying Marcus Camby with a jumper. Not even a good jumper. Just a bit of one.

Zion is much further then AD was at this point in shooting. His shot is very under rated and reminds me a lot of Kawhi Leonard. He is someone that could develop into 40% shooter. His shot isn’t broken but just needs consistency. Zion and his camp know the only thing keeping him from being a super star is a consistent shot from range. He works on his shot along with his moves in the post and this kid won’t be stopped.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    ZION is a going to be a BEAST in the post. He’s going to be a nightmare on the fast break. How will Draymond do against him? You see Draymond pushing Zion around? Lol I don’t think so.

Zion needs to work on shooting and FT shooting. He also needs to defend Harden when we play the rockets. Can you imagine???????!!!!! I bet he causes Harden problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    AD coming in to what he is...I think I expected his defensive game to a be a little better at this point, but didn't expect his offensive game to be this good. I think if Zion can reach 90% of what AD is from a stats standpoint, it's a huge win. I know he'll bring more energy.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    AD coming in to what he is...I think I expected his defensive game to a be a little better at this point, but didn't expect his offensive game to be this good. I think if Zion can reach 90% of what AD is from a stats standpoint, it's a huge win. I know he'll bring more energy.
    AD honestly didnt take a major step until Demarcus got here. Thats when his handle and passing got better. He's steadily but more slowly gotten better with post moves, but still does not use a pump fake at all. Just started consistently using his pivot and spin moves. Which is what really pertubes me when people talk about him being here "7 years" as if he came into the league ready to go. He did not.

Zion on the other hand, is far ahead of AD coming in. If his trajectory continues he absoltelu has a chance to be a better player. Especially since Zion is far from being a pure big man and can be ball dominant.
    Last edited by luckyman; 05-21-2019 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    AD honestly didnt take a major step until Demarcus got here. Thats when his handle and passing got better. He's steadily but more slowly gotten better with post moves, but still does not use a pump fake at all. Just started consistently using his pivot and spin moves. Which is what really pertubes me when people talk about him being here "7 years" as if he came into the league ready to go. He did not.

Zion on the other hand, is far ahead of AD coming in. If his trajectory continues he absoltelu has a chance to be a better player. Especially since Zion is far from being a pure big man and can be ball dominant.
    AD took a huge step his 2nd year and has been a star since. He has gotten better each year.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    AD took a huge step his 2nd year and has been a star since. He has gotten better each year.
    Agreed. AD averaged 20/10 for the first time in that year and has never fallen below 20/10 since. He was a top three MVP candidate in his third year, and led the league with a 30.8 PER. The only players with a PER above 30 this season are Giannis, Harden, and ... AD again.

He had 14 win shares that year, at the age of 21. He had had 10 win shares the previous year, at the age of 20. He's put up double digit win shares in 4 of his 7 years in the league.

He's never had a VORP of less than 2, and in his third year, he had a VORP of 5.7, which would put him just above Russell Westbrook this season.

Dude has been a monster for a long time.

Thread Information