More to come!!!!!

Hmmmmmmmm

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b2b3f52d21.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	6412
    Some1 in replys of tweet

Gayle has been fantastic in her first few months as real owner. I'm aware she's technically owned the franchise for like, a year, but this is her first few months really putting her foot down and taking charge. It's been great.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Hmmmmmmmm

Becky Hammon?

Quote Originally Posted by mriguy View Post
    Becky Hammon?
    Don't bet on it. All signs point to Gentry sticking around.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I'm conflicted about how I feel about Gentry staying. On one hand, everyone seems to love the guy and he should make Zion feel comfortable and his offensive approach fits really well with Zion's strengths. On the other, we have clearly seen his ceiling as a coach and I'm not sure if he necessarily gets even 80% out of the roster that he could.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    I'm conflicted about how I feel about Gentry staying. On one hand, everyone seems to love the guy and he should make Zion feel comfortable and his offensive approach fits really well with Zion's strengths. On the other, we have clearly seen his ceiling as a coach and I'm not sure if he necessarily gets even 80% out of the roster that he could.
    Basically my thought. He seems to be a really nice guy, players generally seem to like him, and he can run an offense pretty well. On the other hand, 5 winning seasons in 16 years as a coach isn't an accident, and he's never been able to construct a defense with any degree of consistency. I wanted him replaced, but it's not the end of the world that he's sticking around. I guess overall it's neutral.

Basically my thought. He seems to be a really nice guy, players generally seem to like him, and he can run an offense pretty well. On the other hand, 5 winning seasons in 16 years as a coach isn't an accident, and he's never been able to construct a defense with any degree of consistency. I wanted him replaced, but it's not the end of the world that he's sticking around. I guess overall it's neutral.
    I'm in the same boat. And i guess there's something to be said for stability in the coaching staff while there's so much turnover going on in every other part of the organization. As long as he is able to focus on the development of the kids and keep them engaged, then I'm fine with him sticking around for a few more seasons. Kind of like the non-***hole version of Mark Jackson.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Gentry will be 65 in November. I can't see him being around too much longer no matter what?

Some guys are just better as coordinators.

The organization really like Gentry. I do as well. I wouldn't mind bringing him into the front office or be assistant GM after next year is up.

He only has one more year left. I say let him develop these kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    The organization really like Gentry. I do as well. I wouldn't mind bringing him into the front office or be assistant GM after next year is up.

He only has one more year left. I say let him develop these kids.
    I'd ask for one example of Gentry developing elite young talent.

Maybe Gentry gets role in front office?

Gayle has been fantastic in her first few months as real owner. I'm aware she's technically owned the franchise for like, a year, but this is her first few months really putting her foot down and taking charge. It's been great.
    I'll play contrarian.

She failed as the part time owner during football season and only woke up to reality when the biggest cash draw said he want out. She was inept but has made a huge course correction. Kudos to righting the ship.

Seriously though, I really do believe she 100% gets a pass because she was grieving her husband. She is all in and I am excited to see this new era.

I'd ask for one example of Gentry developing elite young talent.
    When has Gentry ever had elite young talent as a head coach? He help create the greatest offense of all time in Golden State. He got one year left. The decision to bring him back was honestly on hold till get a BPO and a new GM.i wouldn't be surprised coaching changes is on the next agenda... Aswell.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did move him to the front office soon... If there is an adequate coach. I don't know of any coach that really is on our radar for developing young guys better than Gentry. I say bring in better assistant coaches for development. Let Gentry do what he does best.. teach these guys to run an NBA CALIBER offense from the start..

I hate to be that guy, because I hate when Gentry runs the pace too fast against way more talented shooters. He has some annoying nuances like pacing, match-up and rotations. He definitely needs to slow down his pace down. He'll probably get Zion injured running that fast every other night.

Yet, The core of the offense is simply amazing. We always get some amazing open looks, passing is light years better than the ISO Monty era, and we are able to pull off some crazy games with very average 3pt shooting and an elite paint game that frankly... Didn't get enough calls. We got hosed in the 2nd round against the Warrior on FT disparity with no call hacks in the paint vs. Not being able to breath on the Warriors

When has Gentry ever had elite young talent as a head coach? He help create the greatest offense of all time in Golden State. He got one year left. The decision to bring him back was honestly on hold till get a BPO and a new GM.i wouldn't be surprised coaching changes is on the next agenda... Aswell.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did move him to the front office soon... If there is an adequate coach. I don't know of any coach that really is on our radar for developing young guys better than Gentry. I say bring in better assistant coaches for development. Let Gentry do what he does best.. teach these guys to run an NBA CALIBER offense from the start..

I hate to be that guy, because I hate when Gentry runs the pace too fast against way more talented shooters. He has some annoying nuances like pacing, match-up and rotations. He definitely needs to slow down his pace down. He'll probably get Zion injured running that fast every other night.

Yet, The core of the offense is simply amazing. We always get some amazing open looks, passing is light years better than the ISO Monty era, and we are able to pull off some crazy games with very average 3pt shooting and an elite paint game that frankly... Didn't get enough calls. We got hosed in the 2nd round against the Warrior on FT disparity with no call hacks in the paint vs. Not being able to breath on the Warriors
    We may not have had elite young talent, but when we have had any young talent they've been pretty reliably benched. Jackson barely played for the first half of this season even when we were desperate for guards. Randle was getting played over Wood and Okafor at the end of last season, when that made no sense with our position. It's just absurd.

You say he has annoying nuances like pacing, match-ups, and rotations. I'd add to that out of timeout plays. But the problem is that when he doesn't handle the defense, and this season Finch was co-handling the offense, then what is he actually responsible for? Well, largely pacing, match-ups, rotations, and x's and o's. And he sucked at all of that.

Gentry is a guy who has a system. If you give him all the right pieces for that system it will look great. If he doesn't have those pieces, he looks terrible. We will not have those pieces, very probably, in this upcoming season, and when we decide what pieces to add, it should be pieces being added to fit Zion, not being added to fit Gentry's system.

We may not have had elite young talent, but when we have had any young talent they've been pretty reliably benched. Jackson barely played for the first half of this season even when we were desperate for guards. Randle was getting played over Wood and Okafor at the end of last season, when that made no sense with our position. It's just absurd.

You say he has annoying nuances like pacing, match-ups, and rotations. I'd add to that out of timeout plays. But the problem is that when he doesn't handle the defense, and this season Finch was co-handling the offense, then what is he actually responsible for? Well, largely pacing, match-ups, rotations, and x's and o's. And he sucked at all of that.

Gentry is a guy who has a system. If you give him all the right pieces for that system it will look great. If he doesn't have those pieces, he looks terrible. We will not have those pieces, very probably, in this upcoming season, and when we decide what pieces to add, it should be pieces being added to fit Zion, not being added to fit Gentry's system.
    You're exactly right. Those first 2 years with Gentry was awful. Square peg in round hole offense. It was frustrating, but he unexpectedly changed his offense to suit AD. It only took like 3 years, unfortunately. It took a roster overhaul to do it too.

I will admit... For a guy with such an imaginative, fireworks offense... Gentry isn't that imaginative when thinking out of the box with personnel. Granted though... Demp really wasn't walking into the best roster. It's not all his fault trying to turn ground beef into a steak, but he could of make a nice hamburger to compensate for it. So, he shares most of the blame. When you start out 0-7 or 0-9... That's on Gentry as it is on personnel. Gentry probably really close to retire.

I be honest... The whole Dell Demps era was just a sloppy mess from top to bottom.. I really have no attachment to Gentry and called him out for being a glorified offensive coordinator. I wouldn't be surprised if we get some news on the status on Gentry on whether he moves to FO as he edges closer to retirement. So, I kind of shrug it off. He earned his dignity to finish out his contract at this point and get us another solid Lotto pick before moving on.

We need to get a coach candidate hotlist going... I honestly don't have a single candidate on my mind. Becky Hammon is being groomed to be Pop's heir. I don't think she'll leave.

Didn't Gentry develop Dragic? Pretty sure he did.

Wouldn't we consider him the person who unlocked Nash's talent too?

I be honest... The whole Dell Demps era was just a sloppy mess from top to bottom.. I really have no attachment to Gentry and called him out for being a glorified offensive coordinator. I wouldn't be surprised if we get some news on the status on Gentry on whether he moves to FO as he edges closer to retirement. So, I kind of shrug it off. He earned his dignity to finish out his contract at this point and get us another solid Lotto pick before moving on.

We need to get a coach candidate hotlist going... I honestly don't have a single candidate on my mind. Becky Hammon is being groomed to be Pop's heir. I don't think she'll leave.
    My only issue with that is that I don't want to stunt Zion's development with a terrible coach. It's not a huge worry though so I mostly just ignore it.

I think Hammon would move for the right deal. Pop's just signed another extension, right? He's going to be HC in San Antonio until at least 2022, I think. Given that, if you approach Hammon now and offer her a serious contract she may well just take it. Especially with the excitement surrounding Zion and the new personnel moves of the franchise. I wouldn't be surprised if being the first female HC in NBA history under a female owner would be a bonus factor, too.

If she really refuses to be parted, I'd be looking at Ettore Messina as well.

Meh. You can't have ALL of those injuries. AND have a "superstar" who is so beta. AND blame Demps for everything. While also blaming Gentry. We weren't that awful. AD is on his way out. New training staff is in. Demps has been canned. I'll roll with Gentry.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post

I wouldn't consider that at all. Nash had elite talent and just never had the chance to show it, and when he went to Phoenix he had already spent the previous 5 years in Dallas averaging 16 and 8 on 47% from the floor and 42% from deep. It was the 7 seconds or less offense in general that really took his numbers to the next level, but all of the talent had already been established before Gentry got involved.

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    Amin Al Hassan

Gentry is a good coach. We had a Dell Demps problem for years, but now we don't. I am willing to give Gentry a second look now that we have a new regime.

Quote Originally Posted by mriguy View Post
    Becky Hammon?
    No shot! Absolutely no way they go with something like this when we are drafting Zion. The pressure to make it work would be insane and we would be crushed if it didn’t work. No way we let Gentry go at this point when he is a great fit with Zion and the youth we will have to bring them along. Most people here criticizing Gentry couldn’t even teach players how to run a pick & roll but will act like he’s doing some terrible job. Let’s not forget just a year ago he swept the Blazers and have the Warriors arguably their toughest challenge. When he has actually had solid teams he has produced.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post

Absolutely correct! He turned Nash from an all star caliber player to an NBA MVP. Helped bring Dragic along and developed him into one of the better PGs in the league. Let’s not ignore the step up in Jrues game either.

Thread Information