Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: If Davis stays...

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Cam Jordan lobbying someone is honestly... the kiss of death.
    I do not follow the NFL whatsoever, so I'll just have to take your word for it.

It's still nice to see though.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Cam Jordan lobbying someone is honestly... the kiss of death.
    Why?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I do not follow the NFL whatsoever, so I'll just have to take your word for it.

It's still nice to see though.
    Do NOT take his word for it!!!!! He's flapping gums.

I've been a Saints STH for 23yrs & I have NO CLUE as to what he's talking about!

Hey ! I've visited this board for years but never registered. I think it's a good time to finally do it.

Anyway, if Davis stays, it could be a good idea to trade for a pick between 10 and 15 to draft Sekou Doumbouya (maybe with a second and next year's first). He would be a steal. I've seen a lot of prospects play in France (Tony Parker, Clint Capela, Boris Diaw, Evan Fournier, Nicolas Batum, Rudy Gobert...) and they never impressed me as much as Doumbouya. I don't understand how he can be projected this low when Ntilikina was drafted 8th overall... He's getting better every game, and looks really mature for an 18 years old kid. Yesterday he went for 34 points with 9 rebounds and 5/7 from deep, playing for a team where fans put a lot of pressure on the players. He handled it perfectly and earned every minute on the court putting a lot of energy on both sides of the floor. He has all the tools to succeed, the only question mark being his health as he's been injured multiple times every year as a pro. Otherwise he is a top 3 talent.

Moreover, this would leave PG as the only need coming into free agency...

I'll come back when people get it through their heads that WE HAVE A SG. His name is Jrue Holiday. What we need is PGs and SFs, NOT MORE SGs. Please STOP trying to move Jrue back to PG.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    I'll come back when people get it through their heads that WE HAVE A SG. His name is Jrue Holiday. What we need is PGs and SFs, NOT MORE SGs. Please STOP trying to move Jrue back to PG.
    Bye Felicia. Kidding. I know he thinks he’s a SG but he’s a PG. Shooting guard infers that you can shoot and he’s not great at it. What Jrue is good at is getting to the rack and dishing assist which sounds exactly like a PG. At the end of games who has the ball in his hands trying to create is to me the definition of PG. I’m not saying he can’t be a decent SG but to me he is a facilitator that could use some help bringing the ball up court.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    Bye Felicia. Kidding. I know he thinks he’s a SG but he’s a PG. Shooting guard infers that you can shoot and he’s not great at it. What Jrue is good at is getting to the rack and dishing assist which sounds exactly like a PG. At the end of games who has the ball in his hands trying to create is to me the definition of PG. I’m not saying he can’t be a decent SG but to me he is a facilitator that could use some help bringing the ball up court.
    Jrue is a solid playmaker. He cannot consistently run a team as evidenced many times before. When he runs the offense, it tends to be sluggish and sloppy.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Jrue is a solid playmaker. He cannot consistently run a team as evidenced many times before. When he runs the offense, it tends to be sluggish and sloppy.
    That's what I believed. The problem to me is that he has to do so much on defense, having to set up the offense can be a lot on his plate.

Jrue himself has said that he's a shooting guard. He CAN play point and he's pretty damn good at it. But he creates better off ball than he does as a primary creator. The positional designations are irrelevant anyway. Jrue can defend any backcourt player, is a phenomenal secondary playmaker, and has enough game to fill in almost any void on the court. However, as you said, he doesn't shoot very well and plays much better when there is someone else initiating the offense (as we have seen with Rondo and Elfrid the past 2 years). This is why Darrius Garland is so interesting to me in this draft if we can snag a pick in the 4-7 range.

The Franchise
    He has done better as Sg but who’s been around him when he played point?

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    I would do backflips if we could land Brogdon (aka "The Prez" as we called him in his UVA days). Beyond his play on the court, he would make a phenomenal impact on this community.

Must read on Malcolm: https://theundefeated.com/features/b...elping-people/

Shooting guard doesn't really imply shooting ability. The position really should be called scoring guard, rather than shooting guard, tbh. MJ couldn't shoot from distance. Kobe couldn't shoot from distance. Wade couldn't shoot from distance. Iverson couldn't shoot reliably from distance. It's got nothing to do with long range shooting.

If Davis stays, which I just want to clarify is something which I do not believe will happen at all, then I'm honestly not entirely sure where to go next.

Hill will not be stretched. He's coming into the final year of his deal. Either you trade him off with an asset to just be free of his contract, or you just eat that final year. No reason to stretch him now, in his final year, when his stupid contract finally has some use a large expiring.

We aren't going to have $30m, imo. Coming into next season, the salary cap is $109m. If we keep Davis, and Randle opts out, we will have roughly $80m guaranteed. Signing Zion will cost 120% of the rookie scale, which is equivalent to a little over $10m. So we will have something like $90m guaranteed once Zion is signed. That leaves us with around $19m left, and while there are still things like the MLE, we have another $6m or so in cap holds for guys like Diallo and Miller anyway, so that's still not free money.

With $19m, our options are severely limited. Our biggest requirements would be trying to finally fill that gap at SF, and a point guard. If we could bring back Payton for something like $5m, I'd be happy to do so. While he's far from perfect, he did play reasonably well for us last season and signing him for a relatively small amount would give us $12m or so left in order to try and make a run a decent SF. My first call would probably be to Bojan Bogdanovic. He's not fantastic, but he's unrestricted and $12m would be an increase on his previous salary. He's a legitimate 6'8, and he shoots about 43% from deep. He's a little older than I'd like at 30, and he's not a very good defender, but with Jrue, Zion, and AD, I feel like we should be able to put together a solid enough defense to cover for that.

Although it would be a severe pay-cut, I'd also look into Harrison Barnes. I don't love him as much as some of the other people on this board do, but he's a solid enough player and he's developed a good three point shot. I don't think he takes it, but if he was willing to sign for $12m or thereabouts, I'd happily take him.
    Thanks for the response. I continue to see reports that the Pels will have $30 million or can create that cap space but they could be erroneous. So much of these reports tend to be. I do think Davis stays, however, barring an unbelievable trade offer.

Agreed! Jrue will primarily play PG next year and I’ll bet on it. I don’t think it’s because of his shooting but just about everything in his skill set screams PG. We are at our best when we have Jrue running the point. Jrue has never once said he prefers playing SG but simply said what any pro would as Rondo was playing PG at the time. Ideally we have a SG next to him that can help create at times but not run the offense.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 05-19-2019 at 11:02 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    I thought we looked way better with Elfrid running point and Jrue SG. Elfrid is just a much more skilled passer to me.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    I thought we looked way better with Elfrid running point and Jrue SG. Elfrid is just a much more skilled passer to me.
    Would you rather John Wall or Bradley Beal next to Jrue? Give me Beal all day. A SG that can create for others at times to take pressure off Jrue. Unless it’s Curry or Lillard coming there is no PG that compliments him very well but there are a ton of SGs. He needs someone who can shoot, score, and like I said take some pressure off at times. Jrue is best when the ball is in his hands not playing off ball. For me that is a PG and I’ll bet on it. Only way Jrue isn’t PG next year is if we draft Ja.

AD is not staying. The bridge is too burnt. Then Zion plays his position and we know he doesn’t want to be a starting center for some stupid reason.

If Zion played any other position, AD might seriously think about it. But like his T-shirt “he didn’t pick out” said, THAT’s ALL FOLKS!!

I hope Griffin and Langdon tell Boston to get that 2nd or 3rd pick cause we want Tatum & either Morant or Barrett. RJ can play the 2 with Tatum at the 3, but Jrue will have to play the point. I think he can play the point like he has most of his career, but Ja would be the ideal player.

Boston: AD, Moore, & Hill

Pelicans: Tatum, Horford, Smart, and either Morant or Barrett (I’d try to get that 2020 top 6 protected Memphis pick that goes to unprotected in 2021 or Boston can trade it back to them with all those 1sts this year. Is that possible to trade back a pick? Don’t see why not?)

C: Horford, Okafor
    PF: Zion
    SF: Tatum
    SG: Jrue, Smart
    PG: Morant

They would have to move Horford to make the deal I would think. So either we take him on for one year or we find a 3rd team to take him in the deal. I wouldn’t mind having a vet like him for Zion to learn from for a year though.
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 05-19-2019 at 11:34 PM.

If Davis stays...

If Davis stays...

Draft Zion, Draft Schofield in the 2nd, Offload Hill and a first for a role player(Deyonta Davis for example), sign Brogdon at all costs, trade Jackson and other assets for Monte Morris to lead the bench, convince Davis to play Center from time to time.

PG: Holiday/ Morris/ Minimum PG
    SG: Brogdon, Moore, Troy Daniels on a min?
    SF: Schofield, K. Williams, Jeff Green on a min?
    PF: Zion, Wood, D. Davis
    C: A.Davis, Okafor, D. Davis

Frontcourt one of the best in the league and we have shooters in the backcourt to let them do work with Jrue guarding the Stephs and Westbrooks. We will have Moore’s expiring to evaluate the SF position next offseason.

Edit: Keep in mind that this lineup is having Zion at SF, Davis at PF, and either Okafor or D. Davis at Center in certain matchups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sleeper; 05-21-2019 at 12:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    If Davis stays...

Draft Zion, Draft Schofield in the 2nd, Offload Hill and a first for a role player(Deyonta Davis for example), sign Brogdon at all costs, trade Jackson and other assets for Monte Morris to lead the bench, convince Davis to play Center from time to time.

PG: Holiday/ Morris/ Minimum PG
    SG: Brogdon, Moore, Troy Daniels on a min?
    SF: Schofield, K. Williams, Jeff Green on a min?
    PF: Zion, Wood, D. Davis
    C: A.Davis, Okafor, D. Davis

Frontcourt one of the best in the league and we have shooters in the backcourt to let them do work with Jrue guarding the Stephs and Westbrooks. We will have Moore’s expiring to evaluate the SF position next offseason.

Edit: Keep in mind that this lineup is having Zion at SF, Davis at PF, and either Okafor or D. Davis at Center in certain matchups.

I'm in the camp of ''please stop giving away first round picks for little to nothing, please god, let's not do this again, just keep the picks''.

Solo is going into his last year. As an expiring of decent price, he's actually got some value, even if only to certain teams. There is no universe where you should be packaging him with a pick to get rid of him. Just no. Keep the picks.

If Davis stays...

I'm in the camp of ''please stop giving away first round picks for little to nothing, please god, let's not do this again, just keep the picks''.

Solo is going into his last year. As an expiring of decent price, he's actually got some value, even if only to certain teams. There is no universe where you should be packaging him with a pick to get rid of him. Just no. Keep the picks.
    If it’s the only way to have money to sign a starter in Brogdon, then why not? Griffin gets to get all of the stench off of the prior regime. He may be able to do it with out giving up a 1st. I mean Dell did somehow got rid of Asik’s horrible contract. I’m sure Hill can be moved too.

Edit: So i just thought about it. I forgot how valuable 1st round picks most likely are after witnessing the new lottery system. You’re right. I wouldn’t move Hill with a first but i would sure try and get it done.

Last edited by Sleeper; 05-21-2019 at 08:06 AM.

Just to clarify cap situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lespol View Post
    Hey ! I've visited this board for years but never registered. I think it's a good time to finally do it.

Anyway, if Davis stays, it could be a good idea to trade for a pick between 10 and 15 to draft Sekou Doumbouya (maybe with a second and next year's first). He would be a steal. I've seen a lot of prospects play in France (Tony Parker, Clint Capela, Boris Diaw, Evan Fournier, Nicolas Batum, Rudy Gobert...) and they never impressed me as much as Doumbouya. I don't understand how he can be projected this low when Ntilikina was drafted 8th overall... He's getting better every game, and looks really mature for an 18 years old kid. Yesterday he went for 34 points with 9 rebounds and 5/7 from deep, playing for a team where fans put a lot of pressure on the players. He handled it perfectly and earned every minute on the court putting a lot of energy on both sides of the floor. He has all the tools to succeed, the only question mark being his health as he's been injured multiple times every year as a pro. Otherwise he is a top 3 talent.

Moreover, this would leave PG as the only need coming into free agency...
    Thanks for posting, but if you're gonna suggest grabbing a pick within a certain range it's a good idea to propose how to do it. Otherwise it just wastes everyone's time. And I don't see any real way of getting a pick in that range with the current assets

Just to clarify cap situation.
    Fairly sure Milsap is gonna opt in to 30 mil

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    I agree.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Milsap is a Team Option, NO?

Thread Information