Pelicans Report

Thread: Let’s say AD says he won’t sign and Griffin wants...

Let’s say AD says he won’t sign and Griffin wants...

RJ Barret or certain player in draft. We can’t trade AD before July 1st for variety of reasons, correct? Draft is in June. How is it going to work where we get the player we want from the draft?

We can trade AD before the draft or on draft night. Trades can be agreed upon in principle, filed with the league office, approved, and just be waiting for them to become legal.

If Griff wants to trade for Barrett, he can do so with pretty much no restrictions.

The only team we can't trade with before July 1st is the Celtics, because of the Rose Rule regarding them having Kyrie on their books. We would have to wait for him to officially become a free agent.

But even if we wanted to make the Celtics trade, that could still be agreed upon in principle in advance.
    Basketball.

That’s right. And any 2019 picks included in the trade would be made by the team owning the pick on behalf of the Pelicans. So the Knicks could take Barrett for the Pels and the trade is made official July first. The Celtics could conceivably make three picks for the Pels or two for New Orleans and one for themselves.

Right. To just make it extra clear...

Once a teams season is done, meaning they are out of the playoffs, you can engage and trade discussions. You can even AGREE to any trade you (as long as it's a legal trade) however no trade can be executed before the start of the new season, so July 1st.

All those "draft day trades" that you see every year during the draft have been agreed to in principle but no paperwork has been filed.

Got it. Thanks for the explanation guys.

Quote Originally Posted by hcergen07 View Post
    Got it. Thanks for the explanation guys.
    No problem!

Honestly, it is kind of confusing. The NBA has this period of about 10 weeks where everything happens. Draft lottery, combine, workouts, finals, draft, free agency, and summer league, and it can be a little tricky to get the chain of events right.

And the media will have leaked/discussed the trades repeatedly as they get agreed upon. It's not like we will agree upon a trade with Boston and it'll be hush hush secret times until July 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    No problem!

Honestly, it is kind of confusing. The NBA has this period of about 10 weeks where everything happens. Draft lottery, combine, workouts, finals, draft, free agency, and summer league, and it can be a little tricky to get the chain of events right.
    And this is really a missing opportunity on the league's part. They take all the biggest events, put it into ten weeks, and a good part of the rest of the year they're out of the limelight. The NFL has made a point of trying to be in the news cycle as often and as long as possible by spacing those events out.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    And this is really a missing opportunity on the league's part. They take all the biggest events, put it into ten weeks, and a good part of the rest of the year they're out of the limelight. The NFL has made a point of trying to be in the news cycle as often and as long as possible by spacing those events out.
    Is it not the case that part of that is because the NFL season itself is so short? I don't follow the NFL, but I get the vibe that it's pretty short in comparison to the NBA.

NBA preseason usually starts early October. Season starts late October, doesn't finish until basically June depending on the playoffs. Then through July, you get free agency/summer league, etc. Then you get August and September off, and it's October again. NBA has stuff happening like 10 months of the year.

I'm thinking it's done on purpose. They get all this huge stuff in while the NFL is in hibernation and not putting out many headlines. Start hitting late July and August and anything NBA related would be buried by NFL and college football.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Is it not the case that part of that is because the NFL season itself is so short? I don't follow the NFL, but I get the vibe that it's pretty short in comparison to the NBA.

NBA preseason usually starts early October. Season starts late October, doesn't finish until basically June depending on the playoffs. Then through July, you get free agency/summer league, etc. Then you get August and September off, and it's October again. NBA has stuff happening like 10 months of the year.
    NFL training camp starts in July, and SB is beginning of Feb. Thats 7 months. In the remaining five months they have the combine, the draft, free agency, rookie mini camps. They pretty much keep the NFL in the public eye twelve months out of the year. Right now it just seems like the NBA basically concedes Aug-Dec to the NFL as far as visibility.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    NFL training camp starts in July, and SB is beginning of Feb. Thats 7 months. In the remaining five months they have the combine, the draft, free agency, rookie mini camps. They pretty much keep the NFL in the public eye twelve months out of the year. Right now it just seems like the NBA basically concedes Aug-Dec to the NFL as far as visibility.
    August to December doesn't feel right. Obviously I don't actually watch the NFL so maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like the NBA is a pretty big deal on opening night, and obviously the Christmas games (in December, obviously) are some of the biggest of the year.

Thread Information