Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: If Davis stays...

If Davis stays...

In the days and weeks leading up to the draft lottery, much of the discussion did not revolve around the possibility of the Pelicans getting the #1 pick. Save for a few, it was not much of a consideration. And then it happened and now Zion appears to be headed to the Crescent City.

Now, much of the focus is on what assets Davis might be traded for this summer. I am sure I am in the minority, and I know a lot of bad bllod remains, but I have every reason to believe Davis could end up staying. And if he does, the conversation goes from what assets can he help us secure to build around Zion to what player(s) we might be able to add once Randle opts out as expected and Solo Hill is stretched. We could have anywhere from $24-30 million, which would allow us to bring in a max contract for someone like Kemba Walker.

So my question is, if Davis stays, what other young star would you like to add to the team and believe would fit with Davis, Zion, and Jrue?

Quote Originally Posted by 60minutes View Post
    In the days and weeks leading up to the draft lottery, much of the discussion did not revolve around the possibility of the Pelicans getting the #1 pick. Save for a few, it was not much of a consideration. And then it happened and now Zion appears to be headed to the Crescent City.

Now, much of the focus is on what assets Davis might be traded for this summer. I am sure I am in the minority, and I know a lot of bad bllod remains, but I have every reason to believe Davis could end up staying. And if he does, the conversation goes from what assets can he help us secure to build around Zion to what player(s) we might be able to add once Randle opts out as expected and Solo Hill is stretched. We could have anywhere from $24-30 million, which would allow us to bring in a max contract for someone like Kemba Walker.

So my question is, if Davis stays, what other young star would you like to add to the team and believe would fit with Davis, Zion, and Jrue?
    We would have to add a lot of shooters...That’s for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post

I agree and actually had that in my post but removed it. I doubt Klay Thompson would come here even if he chose to leave Golden State; and it is too bad that we would not have enough assets to trade for someone like Bradley Beal assuming we kept AD, Zion, and Jrue.

If Davis stays, which I just want to clarify is something which I do not believe will happen at all, then I'm honestly not entirely sure where to go next.

Hill will not be stretched. He's coming into the final year of his deal. Either you trade him off with an asset to just be free of his contract, or you just eat that final year. No reason to stretch him now, in his final year, when his stupid contract finally has some use a large expiring.

We aren't going to have $30m, imo. Coming into next season, the salary cap is $109m. If we keep Davis, and Randle opts out, we will have roughly $80m guaranteed. Signing Zion will cost 120% of the rookie scale, which is equivalent to a little over $10m. So we will have something like $90m guaranteed once Zion is signed. That leaves us with around $19m left, and while there are still things like the MLE, we have another $6m or so in cap holds for guys like Diallo and Miller anyway, so that's still not free money.

With $19m, our options are severely limited. Our biggest requirements would be trying to finally fill that gap at SF, and a point guard. If we could bring back Payton for something like $5m, I'd be happy to do so. While he's far from perfect, he did play reasonably well for us last season and signing him for a relatively small amount would give us $12m or so left in order to try and make a run a decent SF. My first call would probably be to Bojan Bogdanovic. He's not fantastic, but he's unrestricted and $12m would be an increase on his previous salary. He's a legitimate 6'8, and he shoots about 43% from deep. He's a little older than I'd like at 30, and he's not a very good defender, but with Jrue, Zion, and AD, I feel like we should be able to put together a solid enough defense to cover for that.

Although it would be a severe pay-cut, I'd also look into Harrison Barnes. I don't love him as much as some of the other people on this board do, but he's a solid enough player and he's developed a good three point shot. I don't think he takes it, but if he was willing to sign for $12m or thereabouts, I'd happily take him.
    Basketball.

The Pels are supposedly very interested in adding Brogdon this off-season, especially if AD stays. It's looking very possible that AD could be back next year, so i think we should seriously discuss team construction options to build around AD, Jrue and Zion. We need shooters and defenders around them, period. Brogdon offers both since he is a very good shooter, can play on or off ball, help distribute with Jrue and can defend the 1-3 positions. He would be a great addition for us. MM suggested something like the Pels offering something like 4/$75 for Brogodon, which the Bucks likely can't match. So then you could work out a S&T for him sending them Moore, so they also receive a $10 mil trade exception. Better than losing Brogdon for nothing for Milwaukee and we get our future starting PG to pair next to Jrue. I would love that deal.

Quote Originally Posted by 60minutes View Post
    I agree and actually had that in my post but removed it. I doubt Klay Thompson would come here even if he chose to leave Golden State; and it is too bad that we would not have enough assets to trade for someone like Bradley Beal assuming we kept AD, Zion, and Jrue.
    We absolutely will have the assets to trade for Beal but as you said not if we keep AD. If we trade AD to the Knicks we will be able to draft RJ Barrett while keeping Mitchel Robinson and still have the assets to get Beal. Even if AD were willing to stay I would much rather add an all star SG in Beal, a potential super star wing in RJ Barrett, and an ideal center who is Anthony Davis without the consistent jump shot that can be an all star. Pretend like the drama with AD never happened and I still make this move without hesitation.

I also think AD is gone. Like 95%. And the only way he stay better be him extending before the season. If he extends, he will buy my love back. Not extending and I do not trust him.

But in this scenario, I absolutely loved the combo of Payton and Jrue. I don't see a lot of people advocating to resign Elfrid and I see an alarming number of people hoping we add SGs and no PGs, moving Jrue to his weak spot at PG. One of my first moves would be to keep Payton. Kemba would be an upgrade, for sure. But I would want to focus on SF.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    I also think AD is gone. Like 95%. And the only way he stay better be him extending before the season. If he extends, he will buy my love back. Not extending and I do not trust him.

But in this scenario, I absolutely loved the combo of Payton and Jrue. I don't see a lot of people advocating to resign Elfrid and I see an alarming number of people hoping we add SGs and no PGs, moving Jrue to his weak spot at PG. One of my first moves would be to keep Payton. Kemba would be an upgrade, for sure. But I would want to focus on SF.
    This is my biggest qualm with the Beal shouts in the trade thread. We’ll essentially have three SG’s in Jrue, Beal and RJ

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    This is my biggest qualm with the Beal shouts in the trade thread. We’ll essentially have three SG’s in Jrue, Beal and RJ
    I don't consider positions to be that big of a deal now a days. I mean, what really separates RJ from being a SF then? What quality is he lacking? He has the size and athleticism.

I'm already imagining a lineup with Jrue, Beal, RJ, Zion, and Robinson and I'm seeing a team that is switching almost everything with Zion and RJ sharing the rock with Jrue and Beal being deadly off ball...

Man. This is getting better as I think of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I don't consider positions to be that big of a deal now a days. I mean, what really separates RJ from being a SF then? What quality is he lacking? He has the size and athleticism.

I'm already imagining a lineup with Jrue, Beal, RJ, Zion, and Robinson and I'm seeing a team that is switching almost everything with Zion and RJ sharing the rock with Jrue and Beal being deadly off ball...

None of them are a true point. RJ is probably the closest to a PG but he is more Harden than Chris Paul. It would probably be a clunky offense

None of them are a true point. RJ is probably the closest to a PG but he is more Harden than Chris Paul. It would probably be a clunky offense
    I mean, what is a true point? Is Ben Simmons a true point? Or LeBron? Or back in the day with Lamar Odom in his prime?

You can't worry about who plays what to where you don't acquire he best possible talent...so long as mentally, they're willing to fit into the roles they need to fit into.

It does look good. I like Beal a lot but I'm not one of the people absolutely frothing at the mouth for a Beal trade, but in that circumstance where we are flipping multiple assets to get him rather than losing from the core, I could see it being a great team.

It's like as soon as the offseason started, everyone forgot that we saw Jrue go from good to all-star level (though not voted) when he moved from PG to SG. Yep, from SG to SF isn't that big of a difference but for Jrue to go from ball handler to off the ball, the change was striking.

Rondo and Payton (when he did play) very much proved that Jrue is a whole other level when next to a ball handler. Why are we ignoring this all of a sudden?

Cam Jordan continuing to push for AD to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

idk cam is like ofer on recruiting everytime he tries they go else where lol

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post

This this this this!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    SIGN A SF

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    The Pels are supposedly very interested in adding Brogdon this off-season, especially if AD stays. It's looking very possible that AD could be back next year, so i think we should seriously discuss team construction options to build around AD, Jrue and Zion. We need shooters and defenders around them, period. Brogdon offers both since he is a very good shooter, can play on or off ball, help distribute with Jrue and can defend the 1-3 positions. He would be a great addition for us. MM suggested something like the Pels offering something like 4/$75 for Brogodon, which the Bucks likely can't match. So then you could work out a S&T for him sending them Moore, so they also receive a $10 mil trade exception. Better than losing Brogdon for nothing for Milwaukee and we get our future starting PG to pair next to Jrue. I would love that deal.
    I just saw this post. Very interesting. We wouldn’t have to lose many assets if the Bucks don’t feel like matching. AD would have to be 100 percent committed to staying though. If he suggests otherwise, don’t even humor him.

I just saw this post. Very interesting. We wouldn’t have to lose many assets if the Bucks don’t feel like matching. AD would have to be 100 percent committed to staying though. If he suggests otherwise, don’t even humor him.
    Milwaukee is gonna prioritze Middleton first, then they also gotta resign Niko and Lopez. Just don't see them matching an offer like that on Brogdon after what they paid Bledsoe last off-season. So he should be one of our top targets. He's really a perfect fit.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    Milwaukee is gonna prioritze Middleton first, then they also gotta resign Niko and Lopez. Just don't see them matching an offer like that on Brogdon after what they paid Bledsoe last off-season. So he should be one of our top targets. He's really a perfect fit.
    He's a good fit and a decent guy, but remember that we don't just have to outbid Milwaukee. If some other team is interested, there could be some bidding going on. What's the max you offer for Brogdon?

He's a good fit and a decent guy, but remember that we don't just have to outbid Milwaukee. If some other team is interested, there could be some bidding going on. What's the max you offer for Brogdon?
    You gotta offer enough for them to not match him. One offer I saw from MM was 4/84. The rationale being you'd rather overpay someone who will play and be good, seeing as we have Zion for a much, much, much less lucrative contract than he'll be worth for the next 4-5 years. Kinda like if you were paying both Brogdon and Zion $34 million a year combined, isn't that a fair number?

You gotta offer enough for them to not match him. One offer I saw from MM was 4/84. The rationale being you'd rather overpay someone who will play and be good, seeing as we have Zion for a much, much, much less lucrative contract than he'll be worth for the next 4-5 years. Kinda like if you were paying both Brogdon and Zion $34 million a year combined, isn't that a fair number?
    I do see that logic, but at the same time I do find it difficult to get myself excited about paying Malcom Brodgon $21m per. Especially since he's already 26 years old and very probably won't get that much better. A contract like that would also be pretty difficult to move if we decided to try and go a different direction 2 years in or something.

I guess I'd be okay with it, but I wouldn't be thrilled. He's a good player so I wouldn't be upset, but that contract is still ugly, even if you rationalise it as being part of the package deal with Zion.

I do see that logic, but at the same time I do find it difficult to get myself excited about paying Malcom Brodgon $21m per. Especially since he's already 26 years old and very probably won't get that much better. A contract like that would also be pretty difficult to move if we decided to try and go a different direction 2 years in or something.

I guess I'd be okay with it, but I wouldn't be thrilled. He's a good player so I wouldn't be upset, but that contract is still ugly, even if you rationalise it as being part of the package deal with Zion.
    I mean, if we're going to sign anyone as a free agent, we're gonna need to overpay anyway. We aren't a destination yet.

To keep AD you aren't rebuilding. You're trying to get deep into the playoffs ASAP. So his age is more of a bonus than a detriment, if you look at it that way.

I'm not too gungho about it either. Mainly because I really don't want AD around anymore...but if he does stick it out, I don't want some middle ground. If AD signs a one year extension, then the plan is for AD to eventually retire a Pelican. I'll just need to find it in my heart to get over all this.

Otherwise, just flip AD to New York and make the future of this team Zion and RJ with Jrue leading the way.

I mean, if we're going to sign anyone as a free agent, we're gonna need to overpay anyway. We aren't a destination yet.

To keep AD you aren't rebuilding. You're trying to get deep into the playoffs ASAP. So his age is more of a bonus than a detriment, if you look at it that way.

I'm not too gungho about it either. Mainly because I really don't want AD around anymore...but if he does stick it out, I don't want some middle ground. If AD signs a one year extension, then the plan is for AD to eventually retire a Pelican. I'll just need to find it in my heart to get over all this.

Otherwise, just flip AD to New York and make the future of this team Zion and RJ with Jrue leading the way.
    Well I guess that's part of the thing. I understand the basketball arguments for keeping AD, but I don't personally want to either. I would rather rebuild properly, around Zion, with little in the way of distraction. In Brogdon's case it's kind of a moot point because he would fit with Zion as well, but in general I don't want our decisions to be made with the background noise of ''oh, I wonder if THIS one will make AD stay...''

At least Brodgon is relatively young, efficient, and used to being a secondary tier player.

The Franchise
    I think Jrue is the perfect pg but he needs shooters around him. Elfrid is the same way, put shooter around them and let them drive and kick to open shooter. Good shooter help create spacing and open driving lanes. Beal and Tatum accomplish this and they both can drive and kick too.

If we kept Davis it’d be harder to put another good player around him as long as we have Moore and Hill but I think signing Brogdon for 20 million would just keeps us in the same boat. If we make small moves then next year we could offer a 30 million contract for a much better player than Brogdon.

Cam Jordan lobbying someone is honestly... the kiss of death.

Thread Information