.
Pelicans Report
 
Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Not all of the news is negative, great article on Zion's potential

  1. #1

    Not all of the news is negative, great article on Zion's potential

    "What are the Pelicans getting in Zion Williamson? NBA scouts believe reality doesn't match the hype ... yet"

    https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/w...-the-hype-yet/


    Lots of video clips of his ability to block shots.

  2. #2
    Will Zion be an all-NBA calibre player his first year? Probably not. He might be an all-star just off hype as long as he has a solid season, but not all-NBA. That's not the point.

    The question is, CAN he meet the hype in like, 3 years or so? I believe the answer is yes.
    Watching Pelicans games is what Georges Bataille meant by limit experiences.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Will Zion be an all-NBA calibre player his first year? Probably not. He might be an all-star just off hype as long as he has a solid season, but not all-NBA. That's not the point.

    The question is, CAN he meet the hype in like, 3 years or so? I believe the answer is yes.
    Agreed. I think AD has produced so long, we tend to forget his first season. He averaged 13.5 PPG, 8.2 RPG, and 1.0 APG. Compare that to 25.9/12.0/3.9 this past season, when he wasn't even trying. Lets hope we don't have our expectations for Zion too high the very first season.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    Agreed. I think AD has produced so long, we tend to forget his first season. He averaged 13.5 PPG, 8.2 RPG, and 1.0 APG. Compare that to 25.9/12.0/3.9 this past season, when he wasn't even trying. Lets hope we don't have our expectations for Zion too high the very first season.
    Exactly. Although I do think that AD came into the league with a much smaller offensive game than Zion has. With AD, we all knew he had real talent but very few people saw him being a damn near 30 point scorer. His ability to add skills and progress is really very impressive. Zion is coming into the league with a lot more of a polished offensive skillset.

  5. #5
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! AusPel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    3,748
    And by all reports he's the hardest worker on the floor

    When you combine that with all time attributes that you can't teach... Uranus is the limit

  6. #6
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,701
    Question for anyone who knows more than me...

    How much, if any, could Zion's body change over the first couple of years in the NBA?

    I mean, he's 6'7, 285lbs, and not even 19 y/o yet.

    So technically, he could still grow and inch or two right? And I'm sure the team would get him on a nutritional plan to help with the weight. Could you imagine this guy at 6'9 and about 260 lbs?

    That's technically possible right?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by JunkHead View Post
    Question for anyone who knows more than me...

    How much, if any, could Zion's body change over the first couple of years in the NBA?

    I mean, he's 6'7, 285lbs, and not even 19 y/o yet.

    So technically, he could still grow and inch or two right? And I'm sure the team would get him on a nutritional plan to help with the weight. Could you imagine this guy at 6'9 and about 260 lbs?

    That's technically possible right?
    I really think he has one more spurt in him. Some people in here said he was next R.J. Barrett at the lottery and he was actually taller. So 6'9" is definitely possible.

  8. #8
    Not to mention any team is gonna tell him to lose weight. I could see 260.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinDavis1022 View Post
    I really think he has one more spurt in him. Some people in here said he was next R.J. Barrett at the lottery and he was actually taller. So 6'9" is definitely possible.
    I was saying that a lot. I really feel that he's probably 6'9. I wouldn't be surprised if that ended up being his real height.

    Just a reminder as well that if you have strength, bulk, and the know-how, height isn't the be all and end all for a big man. Refer to 6'6'' Charles Barkley for proof.

  10. #10


    Stats from April 1st, so fairly late in the season. Lets you get a decent look at Zion's game broken down. Looks pretty encouraging



    And there's his defensive stats. Not quite as universally excellent as his offensive stats, but still very good.

  11. #11
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    3,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post


    Stats from April 1st, so fairly late in the season. Lets you get a decent look at Zion's game broken down. Looks pretty encouraging



    And there's his defensive stats. Not quite as universally excellent as his offensive stats, but still very good.
    If you've got 22:45 seconds to spare - You have got to watch "Stephen A Smith reacts to Knicks get 3rd overall pick in NBA Draft Lottery". I am NOT a Smith fan, but this is PURE Comedy Gold. The first 15 minutes are absolutely gut crunchingly funny . He is in a light blue shirt on his show.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    If you've got 22:45 seconds to spare - You have got to watch "Stephen A Smith reacts to Knicks get 3rd overall pick in NBA Draft Lottery". I am NOT a Smith fan, but this is PURE Comedy Gold. The first 15 minutes are absolutely gut crunchingly funny . He is in a light blue shirt on his show.
    I'll get around to it at some point. I watched his reaction in his car that was filmed a few minutes after the lottery itself. It's amazing. It's dark, he's clearly torn up, just talking to himself in his car, and it's incredible.

  13. #13
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    3,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I'll get around to it at some point. I watched his reaction in his car that was filmed a few minutes after the lottery itself. It's amazing. It's dark, he's clearly torn up, just talking to himself in his car, and it's incredible.
    If you liked that, you will need a diaper for this. I promise.

  14. #14
    https://youtu.be/6tWO6tuhDHE

    Worth a watch. Very enjoyable for a Pelicans fan. Just post the Southpark clip of Cartman licking tears.

  15. #15
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    3,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    https://youtu.be/6tWO6tuhDHE

    Worth a watch. Very enjoyable for a Pelicans fan. Just post the Southpark clip of Cartman licking tears.
    Was that not comedic GOLD. I've watched that clip a dozen times today.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    https://youtu.be/6tWO6tuhDHE

    Worth a watch. Very enjoyable for a Pelicans fan. Just post the Southpark clip of Cartman licking tears.
    I think part of what makes this rant so enjoyable is how empty he is. His voice is going up and down and his face just looks empty and dead for most of it. There's this surreal contrast between audio and visual. It's very strange, and very effective.

    I love this moment though, this moment which exposes so much of the nonsense in the media. He says ''far be it from me to think that the NBA would be like, 'hey, I know we're a global iconic brand, but we only get bigger if New York gets large.''

    What?!?! Has this man been WATCHING the NBA for the last 20 years? New York have been less than irrelevant for like 17 of the last 19 years. Just a complete non-factor. And the league is bigger than it's ever been, richer than it's ever been, more viewed than it's ever been worldwide. The success of the New York Knicks could not be LESS relevant to the NBA's overall success as a brand. What the hell is he talking about?!

  17. #17
    Also,

    ''The New Orleans Pelicans, who are run by football people, or at least once upon a time they were!''

    Shut up Stephen. NY is still run by James Dolan.

  18. #18
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    3,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Also,

    ''The New Orleans Pelicans, who are run by football people, or at least once upon a time they were!''

    Shut up Stephen. NY is still run by James Dolan.
    "If you are not a Knick fan, you make me sick! I don't like any a yuz, any a yuz! Today is a laughing day for all a yuz, all a yuz".
    Priceless. I was laughing uncontrollably when he was saying it!

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Was that not comedic GOLD. I've watched that clip a dozen times today.
    It was, yeah. What makes it so great is the fact that even though he's playing up his feelings as part of a bit, you know deep down he is coming from a real place with this. There's a seed of truth for all of it.

    It makes it even sweeter that we're the ones who took Zion from him.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    "If you are not a Knick fan, you make me sick! I don't like any a yuz, any a yuz! Today is a laughing day for all a yuz, all a yuz".
    Priceless. I was laughing uncontrollably when he was saying it!
    It makes me laugh that the New Orleans Pelicans, despite all of their problems and mistakes, have had 7 seasons with a record that's .500 or better. They've only existed since 2002-3.

    The Knicks have only 4 seasons with a .500 record or better since 2000.

    The Pelicans have made the playoffs 3 times since 2010. The Knicks, once. IN THE EAST!!!

    The Pelicans have won 61 more games than the New York Knicks since 2000, despite not EXISTING for multiple seasons at the beginning of that time.

    The Knicks really are the most pathetic franchise in basketball!

  21. #21
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    3,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    It was, yeah. What makes it so great is the fact that even though he's playing up his feelings as part of a bit, you know deep down he is coming from a real place with this. There's a seed of truth for all of it.

    It makes it even sweeter that we're the ones who took Zion from him.
    "If you are a Knick fan today, it's the equivalent of being kidnapped, locked in a basement ,being tortured, & then they let you out when you're of no use to anyone"

  22. #22
    The only things sweeter than Knicks fans crying are the tears of Lakers and Sixers fans. Sorry, I grew up in the 60s, so I have disliked these teams for a long, long time.

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    "If you are not a Knick fan, you make me sick! I don't like any a yuz, any a yuz! Today is a laughing day for all a yuz, all a yuz".
    Priceless. I was laughing uncontrollably when he was saying it!
    I'm just laughing and cheesing it.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •