Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Post your favorite National Media Narrative

Post your favorite National Media Narrative

Over the last few months (heck in the last 12 hours) Pels fans have been made aware of just what the team they are supporting is. I had no idea about some of these, but I’m glad that I know now.

Paul Pierce “The Pelicans wasted 7 years of Anthony Davis’ career by not putting a team around him.”
    Nick Wright “The Pelicans are a basketball team run by football people.”
    Chris Carter “Zion is going to suffer in New Orleans like AD before him because the Pelicans don’t have the right people in place to build a winner.”

Any others?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

"Zion lost by not going to NY"

The entire night was about where Zion would go and what effect it would have on the AD trade discussions. ESPN blasted that narrative 100, so if say LA or NY won #1...wouldn't Zion have lost out on millions anyways if he was traded? The Pelicans were doomed to be plastered with that narrative regardless of how they received Zion if such a trade happened.
    Jrue dat

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Over the last few months (heck in the last 12 hours) Pels fans have been made aware of just what the team they are supporting is. I had no idea about some of these, but I’m glad that I know now.

Paul Pierce “The Pelicans wasted 7 years of Anthony Davis’ career by not putting a team around him.”
    Nick Wright “The Pelicans are a basketball team run by football people.”
    Chris Carter “Zion is going to suffer in New Orleans like AD before him because the Pelicans don’t have the right people in place to build a winner.”

Any others?
    Nick Wright and Chris Carter actually had great things to say about David Griffin this morning and that he's gonna do right by Zion. But the rest of them are butthurt.

They have every right to feel that way really. Until we prove otherwise, we technically have wasted AD’s time here with bad moves and a rushed rebuild.

Aren’t the Trailblazers run by football people too? Oh and the Nuggets are owned by same guy that owns Rams. Media needs to stop this.

It’s odd to no end that people say “AD needs to leave if he want to win. He can’t win in New Orleans.” The same people that say that also say Zion is a generational talent, and lauded the Griffin hire because he won a title with the Cavs.

Can these people not piece it all together, or are they all just living for the sound bite?

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    It’s odd to no end that people say “AD needs to leave if he want to win. He can’t win in New Orleans.” The same people that say that also say Zion is a generational talent, and lauded the Griffin hire because he won a title with the Cavs.

Can these people not piece it all together, or are they all just living for the sound bite?
    Nailed it in that last sentence there.

Media is all about the hot take, the controversy, the sound bite. And it has to be. Someone on First Take, for example, has to be an "expert" on all 30 NBA teams, all the NFL teams, all the NBL teams, the top 30 or 40 boxers in the world, etc etc. Hundreds and hundreds of teams and sportspeople they are supposed to know intimately. It's functionally impossible: so instead what you get is surface level analysis and soundbites.
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar

I don't know what the Pelicans did to Shannon Sharpe. This dude HATES this team. I don't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post

I don't know what the Pelicans did to Shannon Sharpe. This dude HATES this team. I don't understand.
    Its because the Pels wouldn't bow to the Lakers, who he now loves because his lover Lebron is there now.

He loves Lebron James and Rich Paul, and the Pelicans not only refused to collaborate with them, they also embarrassed them publicly for months. Vendetta.

If anything us getting the 1st pick may have helped the Lakers.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    He loves Lebron James and Rich Paul, and the Pelicans not only refused to collaborate with them, they also embarrassed them publicly for months. Vendetta.
    Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Its because the Pels wouldn't bow to the Lakers, who he now loves because his lover Lebron is there now.
    It's just wild. The dude played football lmao. The hell does he know about basketball. Wouldn't be surprised if he's a Klutch client too.

It's just wild. The dude played football lmao. The hell does he know about basketball. Wouldn't be surprised if he's a Klutch client too.
    It's kind of funny because about 90% of the time, he's actually a decent commenter on the NBA. Not a genius or anything, but he's fine. There are just certain things that really push his buttons, and Lebron James is the biggest one.

It's kind of like how Skip is actually pretty mediocre the majority of the time: not awful, but not great. And then, out of nowhere, he'll just hit you with a nuclear take about Kawhi Leonard being a roleplayer at best, and Lebron James being the 22nd best player of all time or something.

Am I missing something with Zions reaction? He started smiling once the top 4 teams starting getting announced and don’t stop until well after we were drawn as the #1 pick. Where is reaction that he didn’t look happy? I have seen 1 picture circulating where he is walking with a normal face as if he is suppose to have a smile stuck on his face for the next hour. If there anything I missed?

It’s a scripted TV show. Like a soap opera.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Am I missing something with Zions reaction? He started smiling once the top 4 teams starting getting announced and don’t stop until well after we were drawn as the #1 pick. Where is reaction that he didn’t look happy? I have seen 1 picture circulating where he is walking with a normal face as if he is suppose to have a smile stuck on his face for the next hour. If there anything I missed?
    It's a semiotic thing. A face is a signifier: it holds meaning, but that meaning is not a 1-to-1 correlation with anything in the real world. It is arbitrary, and the meaning is socially constructed by all kinds of different social and contextual clues. The viewer of any given sign brings to it their own perspectives, and the meaning that is understood by the viewer is a mixture of the social connotations of a sign with the dynamic interpretant: that is, the meaning of a sign is put together by both social context, and also the unique personal interpretation of the viewer.

All of this is a pretty fancy way of saying that when you see someone making a facial expression, outside of extremely socially powerful expressions like grinning or sobbing, there's a lot of room for the viewer to bring their own baggage. If you decide that Zion would be unhappy in this situation, then it's entirely plausible that you look at a reasonably neutral expression and see unhappiness in it, because the definition of the sign requires your interpretant to become whole.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Bill Simmons is pulling that fan logic that Zion should refuse to sign or go back to Duke or something ridiculous.

People are so predictable.

"They'll waste Zion like they wasted AD."
    "That team is moving to Seattle anyway."
    "Rigged."

All equally stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Bill Simmons is pulling that fan logic that Zion should refuse to sign or go back to Duke or something ridiculous.

"Rigged."

All equally stupid.
    If (and I don't believe this happens whatsoever) Zion tells us that he's not going to play for us, at all, then he goes back to Duke. We'll hold his draft rights for years. Hope he has fun not getting paid in college.

I’m hearing a lot of people talking about Zion not signing his contract and pulling an Eli Manning.. this is getting really annoying!!

We gotta go after RJ Barrett!! Even if we rate Ja slightly ahead of him imo we have to do whatever we can to get him because I think it’s that important. Would change a lot of the talk and who wouldn’t be happy playing with their best friend?! Something they probably never thought was even a possibility. I would think playing in NY or playing with his best friend would have to be pretty darn close.. Also RJ landing with the Knicks or Lakers would probably not be the best thing for us either as Zion could possibly go team up after his 4 years. Gotta think of everything and RJ solves a lot of what could be issues.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 05-15-2019 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    I’m hearing a lot of people talking about Zion not signing his contract and pulling an Eli Manning.. this is getting really annoying!!

We gotta go after RJ Barrett!!
    Don't waste too much time worrying about that.

I'm sure that Zion had a preference. It would be weird if he didn't. But players have preferences all the time and then end up elsewhere. Paul Pierce hated Boston as a kid, and desperately wanted to play for LA. Then he got drafted by Boston, gave it a chance, and had his jersey retired there after beating LA in the finals.

Zion has made it clear in interviews all year that he wants to play for whoever drafts him. Is part of that just PR, saying the right thing? Sure. But we have no real reason to think he won't give us a chance.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post

"Rigged."

All equally stupid.
    So is Colin Cowturd !

Colin Cowherd says he should just go back to Duke or play for the national team for a year. Smh

Then went on to say just trade for Simmons and get the picks for Davis. Essentially, we're just not worth any good player.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    It's a semiotic thing. A face is a signifier: it holds meaning, but that meaning is not a 1-to-1 correlation with anything in the real world. It is arbitrary, and the meaning is socially constructed by all kinds of different social and contextual clues. The viewer of any given sign brings to it their own perspectives, and the meaning that is understood by the viewer is a mixture of the social connotations of a sign with the dynamic interpretant: that is, the meaning of a sign is put together by both social context, and also the unique personal interpretation of the viewer.

All of this is a pretty fancy way of saying that when you see someone making a facial expression, outside of extremely socially powerful expressions like grinning or sobbing, there's a lot of room for the viewer to bring their own baggage. If you decide that Zion would be unhappy in this situation, then it's entirely plausible that you look at a reasonably neutral expression and see unhappiness in it, because the definition of the sign requires your interpretant to become whole.
    He's 18 - His facial expression was probably as confusing to him as it was to anyone else. It's a lot to take in for an 18yr old.
    These moronic shock jock posers SIMMONS, Cowherd & unfortunately Shay Sharpe and on and on are all facial expression experts.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinDavis1022 View Post
    Colin Cowherd says he should just go back to Duke or play for the national team for a year. Smh
    Yea that’s what I was watching.. Stephen Jackson was on talking about how much he loves New Orleans but doesn’t think Zion should got here. Couple of days before he was raving about David Griffin being one of his favorites. Talking how we are a football town and blah blah. Yes we are but it has now turned into a somewhat basketball town. The media needs to get over it and stop trying to force something. Is a little ridiculous.

I’m excited because restaurants, bars, and etc. will now be playing the games instead of being a pain in the butt asking them to change and find the game haha.

Thread Information