Pelicans Report

Page 64 of 127 FirstFirst ... 14 54 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 74 114 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,600 of 3173

Thread: AD trade scenarios...

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Does Culver get to be added to the list, or is the gap between him and RJ too significant/obvious?
    No, culver would have to be a secondary piece, not the main

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Jrue is a career +36% shooter from 3, he can absolutely shoot, he isn’t Ray Allen though
    Jrue has not shot better than 35% for the last 4 years. Dudes do not respect him on the perimeter unless he's having a hot night.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Yep, him too!
    Agreed, I’d be happy with any of them

Jrue has not shot better than 35% for the last 4 years. Dudes do not respect him on the perimeter unless he's having a hot night.
    Fair argument, but he has averaged 34% over the last 4 years which isn’t bad at all, and those have also been his worst 4 years from 3, I think his average will slowly but surely trend back to around 36 or 37%

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    No, culver would have to be a secondary piece, not the main
    So the difference between him and RJ is significant??

Fair argument, but he has averaged 34% over the last 4 years which isn’t bad at all, and those have also been his worst 4 years from 3, I think his average will slowly but surely trend back to around 36 or 37%
    Which is fair enough. I guess if you're talking spacing, where a complete none-shooter like Tristan Thompson is a 0 and a sharpshooter like Curry is a 5, Jrue is maybe a 2.5? He's not awful overall and sometimes he can get hot and hit 5 in a row, but usually he's kind of hit or miss.

That would mean that the maximum shooting score for a starting 5 is 25.

Jrue - 2.5
    Zion - 1.5

So we have 4/25 so far. As far as I'm concerned, that needs to get up to around 12 or 13 total with the other three guys. So we're talking 3 guys who are at least 3.5s, preferably.

Edit: so an example lineup where we go with Boston might look a little like (using their shooting percentages from last season)

PG - Smart (36.4%) - 2.5
    SG - Jrue (32.5%) - 1.5
    SF - Tatum (37.3%) - 3.0
    PF - Zion (33.8%) - 2.0
    C - Okafor (20.0%) - 0

For a total of 9/25. Not great. By comparison, if you start Brown instead of Smart and move Jrue to PG (yeah yeah, I know) he shot 39.4% from three in the 44 games where he didn't have a cast on his hand. That would be a 3.5 instead of a 2.5 for Smart, and be more like 10/25, which is obviously better.

For comparison:

PG - Curry (43.7%) - 4.5
    SG - Klay (40.2%) - 4.0
    SF - Durant (35.3%) - 2.5
    PF - Green (28.5%) - 1
    C - Jones (0%) - 0

For a total of 12/25.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 06-09-2019 at 09:03 PM.

I'll keep saying this because I truly believe that this is the best trade offer/roster we can get:

Tatum, Brown, Smart, Jrue, Zion, Barrett, Payton.

Target Rubio in the off-season.

That roster can contend for a title when KD leaves and Houston is on the decline.

Now, is it even plausible for Boston to somehow trade their 14th pick. their Memphis 2020 pick, and a sign and trade of Irving or something for NY's 3rd overall pick???

Edit: ...And if NY doesn't trade their 3rd overall pick in the scenario above, I'd throw in our own 2020 1st round pick as well for Barrett.
    Last edited by WhyHornetsWhy; 06-09-2019 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    So the difference between him and RJ is significant??
    To me yes, I think RJ will be like a poor mans mcgrady and culver an Uber athletic sharp shooter, but RJ is a play maker, scores, passes, and rebounds well

Which is fair enough. I guess if you're talking spacing, where a complete none-shooter like Tristan Thompson is a 0 and a sharpshooter like Curry is a 5, Jrue is maybe a 2.5? He's not awful overall and sometimes he can get hot and hit 5 in a row, but usually he's kind of hit or miss.

Jrue - 2.5
    Zion - 1.5

So we have 4/25 so far. As far as I'm concerned, that needs to get up to around 12 or 13 total with the other three guys. So we're talking 3 guys who are at least 3.5s, preferably.
    If Tristan is a zero and curry is a 5, a 2.5 would have to be someone who shoots like 25% from 3 so jrue should be higher, regardless, we aren’t arguing wether jrue can hit the, its if they have to respect jrue from 3 so the floor is spread so zion can operate, and you have to respect jrue from 3 so jrue qualifies as a good enough shooter to me

Quote Originally Posted by WhyHornetsWhy View Post
    I'll keep saying this because I truly believe that this is the best trade offer/roster we can get:

Tatum, Brown, Smart, Jrue, Zion, Barrett, Payton.

Target Rubio in the off-season.

That roster can contend for a title when KD leaves and Houston is on the decline.

Now, is it even plausible for Boston to somehow trade their 14th pick. their Memphis 2020 pick, and a sign and trade of Irving or something for NY's 3rd overall pick???

Edit: ...And if NY doesn't trade their 3rd overall pick in the scenario above, I'd throw in our own 2020 1st round pick as well for Barrett.
    Don’t think we’re gettig brown and smart, awesome if we do though, I’m pretty sure it’s gonna be

Tatum, Smart, pick 14, Memphis 1st rounder next year, and a filler

Jrue - 2.5
    Zion - 1.5

Edit: so an example lineup where we go with Boston might look a little like (using their shooting percentages from last season)

PG - Smart (36.4%) - 2.5
    SG - Jrue (32.5%) - 1.5
    SF - Tatum (37.3%) - 3.0
    PF - Zion (33.8%) - 2.0
    C - Okafor (20.0%) - 0

For a total of 9/25. Not great. By comparison, if you start Brown instead of Smart and move Jrue to PG (yeah yeah, I know) he shot 39.4% from three in the 44 games where he didn't have a cast on his hand. That would be a 3.5 instead of a 2.5 for Smart, and be more like 10/25, which is obviously better.

For comparison:

PG - Curry (43.7%) - 4.5
    SG - Klay (40.2%) - 4.0
    SF - Durant (35.3%) - 2.5
    PF - Green (28.5%) - 1
    C - Jones (0%) - 0

For a total of 12/25.
    I would give Tatum at least a 3.5, but probably a 4, he’s a sniper, he shot kver 40% as a rookie, kyrie hurt his development, with jrue I would bet my house that Tatum averages 40 next season

If Tristan is a zero and curry is a 5, a 2.5 would have to be someone who shoots like 25% from 3 so jrue should be higher, regardless, we aren’t arguing wether jrue can hit the, its if they have to respect jrue from 3 so the floor is spread so zion can operate, and you have to respect jrue from 3 so jrue qualifies as a good enough shooter to me
    That's fair, I was kinda just spitballing the numbers. I might work out an actual system for judging a team's overall shooting at some point, with more precise figures.

I would give Tatum at least a 3.5, but probably a 4, he’s a sniper, he shot kver 40% as a rookie, kyrie hurt his development, with jrue I would bet my house that Tatum averages 40 next season
    Maybe, I'd have to actually work out a proper scale for it. Could be that every 2.5% increase a shooter corresponds to a .5 increase in rating or something. I'll figure it outat some point when I can be bothered. Would be interesting for me to actually having a working model of ''team-shooting''.

Maybe, I'd have to actually work out a proper scale for it. Could be that every 2.5% increase a shooter corresponds to a .5 increase in rating or something. I'll figure it outat some point when I can be bothered. Would be interesting for me to actually having a working model of ''team-shooting''.
    Not a bad idea but still it’s not fair to completely judge them by 3pt percentage, it doesn’t say how many of those 3 pointers were open or contested.

Not a bad idea but still it’s not fair to completely judge them by 3pt percentage, it doesn’t say how many of those 3 pointers were open or contested.
    I'd probably work that out into it. Maybe weight contested shots higher than uncontested shots, and also attribute a higher rating to unassisted shots than assisted ones. That's important, because obviously Joe Harris shoots a better percentage than Steph Curry from deep but nobody would argue that he's a more deadly shooter.

I'd probably work that out into it. Maybe weight contested shots higher than uncontested shots, and also attribute a higher rating to unassisted shots than assisted ones. That's important, because obviously Joe Harris shoots a better percentage than Steph Curry from deep but nobody would argue that he's a more deadly shooter.
    Now THIS is something I could get behind

Now THIS is something I could get behind
    I'll probably put most of it together tomorrow, or over the next couple of days. Basically at some point where it's not 3:24am.

I'll probably put most of it together tomorrow, or over the next couple of days. Basically at some point where it's not 3:24am.
    Haha I wouldn’t blame you, I do have a feeling however that jrues 3pt percentage jumps up tonaround 38% this upcoming season

Haha I wouldn’t blame you, I do have a feeling however that jrues 3pt percentage jumps up tonaround 38% this upcoming season
    It could easily. He's shot 39% before in a season, I think, on a decent number of attempts back when he was in Philly. I'd love to see that return.

It could easily. He's shot 39% before in a season, I think, on a decent number of attempts back when he was in Philly. I'd love to see that return.
    Would love it, for the formula I would start with their actual 3 pt percentage then add like a half point if the 3 was contested and for every 10 attempts you get like .1 or something to account for volume

Would love it, for the formula I would start with their actual 3 pt percentage then add like a half point if the 3 was contested and for every 10 attempts you get like .1 or something to account for volume
    I'm going to try and incorporate:

- Raw percentage
    - Volume
    - Assisted/unassisted
    - Contested/uncontested
    - Consistency

I'll make a thread about it when it's done.

This board in 2007: "Rondo is a bum. He can't shoot 3s. He will never amount to anything and he will never win championships. He would be an awful 4th asset in a trade."

There is so much more to basketball than shooting, fellas.

But.....and this is a secret.....Ball shoots the three better than young Rondo.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 06-09-2019 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    This board in 2007: "Rondo is a bum. He can't shoot 3s. He will never amount to anything and he will never win championships. He would be an awful 4th asset in a trade."

There is so much more to basketball than shooting, fellas.

But.....and this is a secret.....Ball shoots the three better than young Rondo.
    You're right, Rondo couldn't shoot early in his career. Couldn't shoot at all! But do you know who could?

Paul Pierce, and Ray Allen! Who both started on that team with Rondo, where he won all those games and that ring. You know, the Paul Pierce who shot 39.2% and the Ray Allen who shot 39.8% from deep in 2008, when they won that ring?

Now it's 2019, not 2008, and three point shooting is even more important now than it was then. And since we don't have anyone who is a sharpshooter in our current lineup aside from, I guess E'twaun, and we're about to have Zion, who can't shoot, join the team, it's important to add some shooters.

Look at the top teams in the league. Golden State: multiple elite shooters. Raptors: Kawhi, Gasol, Green, Powell, and Vanvleet all shot at least 37% from three. Portland: Lillard, McCollum, Seth Curry, Myers Leonard all shot at least 36% from three. Milwaukee: Brogdon, Snell, Middleton, Lopez, all shooting at least 36% from three, logging heavy minutes.

It's almost as if good teams in 2019 have good shooters on them. Absolutely crazy.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    MM says the Blazers are going hard to get AD. The move to acquire him would net us CJ McCollum among other assets.

I'm conflicted. I like McCollum...but I'm not crazy about pairing AD with Dame. I feel they'd work together too well. Plus, what's the endgame? Are we flipping the other assets down the line? Does it create enough cap to pursue bad contracts and the nice assets that come with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    MM says the Blazers are going hard to get AD. The move to acquire him would net us CJ McCollum among other assets.

I'm conflicted. I like McCollum...but I'm not crazy about pairing AD with Dame. I feel they'd work together too well. Plus, what's the endgame? Are we flipping the other assets down the line? Does it create enough cap to pursue bad contracts and the nice assets that come with it?
    What other assets?

I like McCollum a lot, he's a legit baller. There's no doubt about that. He'd play well with Jrue, and he'd provide some much needed spacing. But what else do they have? He's not good enough for a 1-to-1 swap.

They have the #25 pick in this year's draft. That's it, not even a 2nd rounder.

They have their pick next year, but it would be just as bad, with the addition of AD. They don't own anyone else's picks. They don't have a glut of good cheap talent. What's the ''other assets'' in this deal?

Thread Information