Pelicans Report

Page 58 of 127 FirstFirst ... 8 48 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 68 108 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,450 of 3173

Thread: AD trade scenarios...

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    To hope and expect that is just silly.

The teams who have to offer the farm are the Knicks and Lakers. It’s definitely debatable on which collection of assets from those teams are more favorable. I personally believe half of the Boston assets with Tatum is better than the entire Lakers offer, but is inferior to the deal the Knicks can offer if they empty the bank.
    And again, I tend to agree with you. It wouldn't make sense. It's not rational. But playing Devil's Advocate a bit......we're looking at it from the perspective of the franchise. Maybe a rational long term thinking GM. But suppose Ainge realizes that if he doesn't swing for the fences he is fired. Not soon but eventually.

And hear me out.

He's been after AD for a long time. Two seasons ago the team overperformed big time. They go out and get a superstar. Expectations are high and they fizzle out. No Kyrie might lead. There actually IS a chance that Ainge is feeling some pressure and it will make him go for risky boom or bust moves. He might be of the mindset that if he loses Kyrie and doesn't land another superstar, he will always be just a first to second round playoff team. That's not good enough for Boston. And worse yet, if they miss out on AD, the next superteam might be formed in his conference. So he really could be convinced that getting AD is his only chance to keep his job.

Again, it's not rational, but it's possible.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 06-07-2019 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    And again, I tend to agree with you. It wouldn't make sense. It's not rational. But playing Devil's Advocate a bit......we're looking at it from the perspective of the franchise. Maybe a rational long term thinking GM. But suppose Ainge realizes that if he doesn't swing for the fences he is fired. Not soon but eventually.

And hear me out.

He's been after AD for a long time. Two seasons ago the team overperformed big time. They go out and get a superstar. Expectations are high and they fizzle out. No Kyrie might lead. There actually IS a chance that Ainge is feeling some pressure and it will make him go for risky boom or bust moves. He might be of the mindset that if he loses Kyrie and doesn't land another superstar, he will always be just a first to second round playoff team. That's not good enough for Boston. And worse yet, if they miss out on AD, the next superteam might be formed in his conference. So he really could be convinced that getting AD is his only chance to keep his job.

Again, it's not rational, but it's possible.
    Of course none of the scenarios are impossible, but I am saying to expect improbable scenarios is a waste of time.

I actually hope I am wrong as Boston has by far the best assets. It also depends on how much Griffin values Tatum.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 06-07-2019 at 10:55 PM.

Let’s discuss what everyone believes are the most probable destinations for AD. I will start.

1. Knicks
    2. Celtics
    3. Lakers
    4. Clippers
    5. Nets

Let’s discuss what everyone believes are the most probable destinations for AD. I will start.

1. Knicks
    2. Celtics
    3. Lakers
    4. Clippers
    5. Nets
    Pretty much that.
    Basketball.

F it. I'm done with AD.

3,4,5,6,7 team trade--whatever it takes to land these players:

Jason Tatum, Marcus Smart, Jaylen Brown, and the draft rights to R.J. Barrett.

With Jrue and Zion added to that roster above--Then, bring in a wing, a center, and maybe another SG.

With KD leaving and Rockets on the decline, please, someone tell me why we won't have a shot at making it to the Finals.

*breaks glass bottle on ground

Because you forgot to resign Elfrid Payton!

What if he retired and we promote him to Assistant GM?

I may have to settle for that. All this AD trade talk, there's been no rumors on Payton.

I suggest you let that one marinate.

Yes!

I truly wish Boston had the 3rd overall pick.

Like I said, I'd take Tatum, Smart, Brown, Barrett (3rd pick) for AD in a heartbeat.

Think Boston can somehow come up with a trade for the 3rd overall pick?
    --Maybe trade their 2020 Memphis pick, their 14th pick, and a sign trade of Irving to the Knicks for their 3rd overall pick?
    Last edited by WhyHornetsWhy; 06-08-2019 at 12:25 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Trade of the Day

Knicks
    A. Davis
    E. Moore
    (still have room to add another max player, or can make additional moves to create 2 max spots)

Cavs
    K. Knox
    D. Smith
    M. Robinson
    F. Ntilikina
    S. Hill
    E. Thomas
    Pick #3 - RJ Barrett
    Pick #39
    (Basically they get "the Knicks deal" for AD...while saving about $10m and getting under the luxury tax)

Pelicans
    A. Trier
    C. Sexton
    T. Thompson
    L. Nance
    Pick #5 - Culver (I think he'd still be available, but if not you could trade back and pick up more assets with a team like Bulls/Suns that might covet Garland)
    Pick #26 - Cam Johnson
    Knicks 2020
    Mavs 2021

Let's start with what might be the hard sells for Pelicans fans -

Larry Nance Jr. is in the 1st year of an extension next year that will guarantee him 12/11/10 over the next 3 years. But those are going to be years in a guys prime for a guy that has a career PER over 17 and is a pretty impressive energy/hustle athlete. Don't forget the cap is going to go up in 2020, and his contract decreases over the years.

Tristan Thompson is in the last year of a deal that pays him well. He's another guy that might give Pels fans some sticker shock at $18.5m next year, but he's a vet that Griff knows, was a key contributor on Griff's championship team, and someone that could be a very big part of the rotation for Zion's rookie year.

C. Sexton played like he wanted to be in consideration for rookie of the year the 2nd half of last season. I'm still a huge fan and would love to see what he could do paired defensively with Jrue and playing with pace in Gentry's system. He has all the tools to be the PG of the future and a 3pt shot that was much better than anyone expected from him his rookie season.

Trier is a young guy that could probably lead our G League team in scoring. I think he still has a ways to go, but he's the kind of prospect I want to get into the new Pelicans culture and see if we can bring the player he was projected to be at Arizona out of him.

Some folks will kill this trade because Robinson goes to Cleveland in this deal instead of to New Orleans. I think if Robinson didn't have local roots and played his rookie year in a large media market, we would have a vastly lower opinion of him. I'm not sure he's ever better than a prime Javale McGee to be honest. I also don't know if coming back home is a good idea for him. Like Tyrann Mathieu in football, I think being away from here might be the best thing for him.

2019/20 Pels lineup
    Sexton/Jackson
    Jrue/Trier
    Culver/C. Johnson/K.Williams
    Zion/Nance Jr.
    Thompson/Okafor/Wood

Thompson could be moved at the deadline easily to bring back an asset if he's not contributing value, or we just let him expire.

If I'm being realistic, I think Pels end up in the lottery again next year, and go into the offseason with a lottery pick, a pick in the late teens from New York, the Dallas pick in 2021, a core of Sexton/Jrue/Culver/Johnson/Zion/Nance, and ~$55m in cap space. You've potentially got 4 of your 5 starters locked in and two guys would could be great depth in Nance/Johnson coming off the bench.

Go find video of Sexton if you're not sold on this. After you've watched the way he gets after it, imagine that dude going after opposing guards competing with Jrue to see who can play the hardest. I think he's going to be the De'Aaron Fox breakout this coming year or the following.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Hilarious that CLIPPERS took SGA off the table. So annoying.

I just wanted to say that again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Lol, look up reasons internalism vs externalism. Doing X is only logical if X has desirable results. Just saying there is ''THE Logic'' which is ''Logic'', is kind of nonsense.

If Ainge WANTS AD, then it is logical for him to trade for AD. If he has good reason to suspect AD may stay, that is another reason for him to do so, but only because it satisfies his motivation: that is, his WANT for AD. The logical course of action is decided by the emotionally desirable outcome.

Again, David Hume is good on this.
    This is fine but I'm taking into consideration the variables that make the act logical or illogical. I'm not just superimposing one basic way of thinking as logic. I'm factoring in the X's and Y's in this particular scenario. Davis has an actual list of teams he'll reup with and Boston despite being considered the front runners since he requested a trade aren't on his list. The consequences for Ainge to trade away all the teams assets for Davis and having him walk may cost him his job.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 06-08-2019 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Hilarious that CLIPPERS took SGA off the table. So annoying.

I just wanted to say that again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When and what is the source?

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Trade of the Day

Knicks
    A. Davis
    E. Moore
    (still have room to add another max player, or can make additional moves to create 2 max spots)

Cavs
    K. Knox
    D. Smith
    M. Robinson
    F. Ntilikina
    S. Hill
    E. Thomas
    Pick #3 - RJ Barrett
    Pick #39
    (Basically they get "the Knicks deal" for AD...while saving about $10m and getting under the luxury tax)

Pelicans
    A. Trier
    C. Sexton
    T. Thompson
    L. Nance
    Pick #5 - Culver (I think he'd still be available, but if not you could trade back and pick up more assets with a team like Bulls/Suns that might covet Garland)
    Pick #26 - Cam Johnson
    Knicks 2020
    Mavs 2021

Larry Nance Jr. is in the 1st year of an extension next year that will guarantee him 12/11/10 over the next 3 years. But those are going to be years in a guys prime for a guy that has a career PER over 17 and is a pretty impressive energy/hustle athlete. Don't forget the cap is going to go up in 2020, and his contract decreases over the years.

Tristan Thompson is in the last year of a deal that pays him well. He's another guy that might give Pels fans some sticker shock at $18.5m next year, but he's a vet that Griff knows, was a key contributor on Griff's championship team, and someone that could be a very big part of the rotation for Zion's rookie year.

C. Sexton played like he wanted to be in consideration for rookie of the year the 2nd half of last season. I'm still a huge fan and would love to see what he could do paired defensively with Jrue and playing with pace in Gentry's system. He has all the tools to be the PG of the future and a 3pt shot that was much better than anyone expected from him his rookie season.

Trier is a young guy that could probably lead our G League team in scoring. I think he still has a ways to go, but he's the kind of prospect I want to get into the new Pelicans culture and see if we can bring the player he was projected to be at Arizona out of him.

Some folks will kill this trade because Robinson goes to Cleveland in this deal instead of to New Orleans. I think if Robinson didn't have local roots and played his rookie year in a large media market, we would have a vastly lower opinion of him. I'm not sure he's ever better than a prime Javale McGee to be honest. I also don't know if coming back home is a good idea for him. Like Tyrann Mathieu in football, I think being away from here might be the best thing for him.

2019/20 Pels lineup
    Sexton/Jackson
    Jrue/Trier
    Zion/Nance Jr.
    Thompson/Okafor/Wood

Thompson could be moved at the deadline easily to bring back an asset if he's not contributing value, or we just let him expire.

If I'm being realistic, I think Pels end up in the lottery again next year, and go into the offseason with a lottery pick, a pick in the late teens from New York, the Dallas pick in 2021, a core of Sexton/Jrue/Culver/Johnson/Zion/Nance, and ~$55m in cap space. You've potentially got 4 of your 5 starters locked in and two guys would could be great depth in Nance/Johnson coming off the bench.

Go find video of Sexton if you're not sold on this. After you've watched the way he gets after it, imagine that dude going after opposing guards competing with Jrue to see who can play the hardest. I think he's going to be the De'Aaron Fox breakout this coming year or the following.
    That’s a terrible trade for the Pelicans.

I would agree. I am sure we can do much better than that.

The Franchise
    I’m stuck on Miles Turner now that Fisher and them put it in their trade packages. I still want Beal so I kinda mixed it all up. A 4 team deal (so I know it won’t happen) with pels, Boston, Indy, and Washington.

Boston gets AD - trades away Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Williams, and picks 14, 20, 22, and Memphis. I wouldn’t take less than Brown, Tatum, 14, 20, and Memphis pick for AD anyway. Adding Hayward plus we don’t give any other returning salary should make this enticing. Boston should be able to make other moves plus I’d think they would get a big trade exception.

Washington gets Brown, Moore, Hill, 14, next years 2-2nds, and Memphis pick. If Memphis doesn’t convey in 2020 then the get pels pick top 5 protected if not then Memphis 2021. Sending out Beal. Wiz start the rebuild with Brown, 14, and Memphis pick and a ton of expirings. I could also see us send a few million to maybe help buyout hill if they want but I think All their expirings will have value at the trade deadline.

Indy gets Hayward, Williams, picks 20 and our 2nd rounder. They send Turner and lil holiday. The Pacers build around Oladipo, Hayward, and Sabonis along with prob enough money for another max slot.

Pels get Beal, Tatum, Turner, lil Holiday, pick 22 ( hoping for Langford if not trade for multiple 2nds to start our G-league team.

Jrue, Elfrid, lil Holiday
    Beal, Jrue, Frank
    Tatum, Justin Holiday, Kenrich
    Zion, (Portis or Vonleh)
    Turner, Okafor

Starting 5 is legit plus we bring some family in.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I would agree. I am sure we can do much better than that.
    A 20 year old PG who was the 3rd rookie in NBA History to average at least 16.0 PPG while shooting 40.0 3FG% & 80.0 FT%. Bird and Curry are the others.
    #5 pick in draft who could be a play making wing that some have as high as #3 on their board.
    #26 pick in draft
    A 2020 1st round pick
    Unprotected Mavs pick in 2021
    NBA championship big man on an expiring contract that can still rebound/defend at high level
    Young vet on a descending contract that gives you length/athleticism/efficiency off the bench

Sexton had a better rookie year than SGA did for the Clippers... but people rank him as a top asset in an D trade. Why?

The Franchise
    A 20 year old PG who was the 3rd rookie in NBA History to average at least 16.0 PPG while shooting 40.0 3FG% & 80.0 FT%. Bird and Curry are the others.
    #5 pick in draft who could be a play making wing that some have as high as #3 on their board.
    #26 pick in draft
    A 2020 1st round pick
    Unprotected Mavs pick in 2021
    NBA championship big man on an expiring contract that can still rebound/defend at high level
    Young vet on a descending contract that gives you length/athleticism/efficiency off the bench

Sexton had a better rookie year than SGA did for the Clippers... but people rank him as a top asset in an D trade. Why?
    It’s not my favorite, I can see a little upside with Sexton and Culver but no real star potential. I guess that’s why I keep going back to Boston and Tatum. At SF he could get to multiple all star games and could prob play 2-4 in our positionless game along with a lot of picks and role players.

How did Cavs come into picture like that dude in a group project that gets all the credit while doing nothing/,zero contributions

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Trade of the Day

Knicks
    A. Davis
    E. Moore

Cavs
    K. Knox
    D. Smith
    M. Robinson
    F. Ntilikina
    S. Hill
    E. Thomas
    Pick #3 - RJ Barrett
    Pick #39

Pelicans
    A. Trier
    C. Sexton
    T. Thompson
    L. Nance
    Pick #26 - Cam Johnson
    Knicks 2020
    Mavs 2021

2019/20 Pels lineup
    Sexton/Jackson
    Jrue/Trier
    Zion/Nance Jr.
    Thompson/Okafor/Wood

I hate to break it to ya chief... This ain't it.

https://twitter.com/BallThen/status/...006871040?s=20

I’m starting to like McNamara (can’t believe I said that)
    Last edited by UptownFuz504; 06-08-2019 at 03:23 PM.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Compare the rookie years of the following:

D'Angelo Russell
    De'Aaron Fox
    Lonzo Ball
    Colin Sexton
    Shai Gilgeous-Alexander

Sexton started the season as a 19 year old. Is it crazy to think he could end up being the best guy on the list?

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    I’m stuck on Miles Turner now that Fisher and them put it in their trade packages. I still want Beal so I kinda mixed it all up. A 4 team deal (so I know it won’t happen) with pels, Boston, Indy, and Washington.

Boston gets AD - trades away Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Williams, and picks 14, 20, 22, and Memphis. I wouldn’t take less than Brown, Tatum, 14, 20, and Memphis pick for AD anyway. Adding Hayward plus we don’t give any other returning salary should make this enticing. Boston should be able to make other moves plus I’d think they would get a big trade exception.

Washington gets Brown, Moore, Hill, 14, next years 2-2nds, and Memphis pick. If Memphis doesn’t convey in 2020 then the get pels pick top 5 protected if not then Memphis 2021. Sending out Beal. Wiz start the rebuild with Brown, 14, and Memphis pick and a ton of expirings. I could also see us send a few million to maybe help buyout hill if they want but I think All their expirings will have value at the trade deadline.

Indy gets Hayward, Williams, picks 20 and our 2nd rounder. They send Turner and lil holiday. The Pacers build around Oladipo, Hayward, and Sabonis along with prob enough money for another max slot.

Pels get Beal, Tatum, Turner, lil Holiday, pick 22 ( hoping for Langford if not trade for multiple 2nds to start our G-league team.

Jrue, Elfrid, lil Holiday
    Beal, Jrue, Frank
    Tatum, Justin Holiday, Kenrich
    Zion, (Portis or Vonleh)
    Turner, Okafor

Starting 5 is legit plus we bring some family in.
    Don't think Indy bites. nice if they would. Might be a cap issue also.

Thread Information