Pelicans Report

Page 55 of 127 FirstFirst ... 5 45 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 65 105 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 3173

Thread: AD trade scenarios...

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Uptownfuzz has the pulse of it.

You can pretty much tell the bias of a person based on their opinion of Kuzma. It's irrational to deny his game.
    What is irrational is to look at a stat sheet and make a declaration that a guy is a stud. That ignores his BBIQ, his lack of defense and his terrible shot selection. Many claim he is a great shooter when he is not. He can be a pretty good bench player, but to claim he is some stud is off base. His best value right now is his low cost controlled contract. He has stuffed a stat sheet on a terrible team.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Primetime View Post
    Outside of the draft pick, Kuzma is arguably the best part of the Laker deal. He is on the books for 1.6 mil for a few more years. I get it, he ain’t great. But he’s the sure fire one who you know will outplay his contract. Like there’s a zero percent chance he doesn’t outplay his contract. You can’t say that for the others.

Ball is nice cause he can run an offense and solid D but the minute you’re in a playoff game, he can’t be on the court cause of his free throw shooting. That will severely stifle his value to the team. He’s not been embarrassed by it yet cause he hasn’t been in a big game. Not to mention that realistically, we are at such an important time in the franchise’s history, that I’m not sure you can roll the dice on dealing with Lavar. We need a young team with zero distractions. That’s a land mine of a distraction.

Ultimately, I think the Laker deal is contingent on how the Pels draft board is stacked. If Culver or Garland or other random prospect is ranked #2 on the board, then the Laker deal is fine. You get financial flexibility, and you’ve bought low on multiple prospects. Chances are one of them is better than they seem.
    Ball has two more seasons on his rookie deal. If we're in the playoffs and he's our starting point guard during that time, we've won the deal. If teams have to resort to "hack-a-Lonzo", that means we're leading or in a competitive series. It also means we get to the bonus faster.

Three PGs are going to get drafted in the lottery this year. Depending on who you trust, there are as many as 7 PGs projected in the lottery for next year. If Ball is as limited after the next 2 years as some expect, his next contract will average less than $10-12m. He'll get a Van Vleet or Smart type deal, and for what he does well, that would be a good deal. If he improves... that's a good problem to have.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    What is irrational is to look at a stat sheet and make a declaration that a guy is a stud. That ignores his BBIQ, his lack of defense and his terrible shot selection. Many claim he is a great shooter when he is not. He can be a pretty good bench player, but to claim he is some stud is off base. His best value right now is his low cost controlled contract. He has stuffed a stat sheet on a terrible team.
    This is exactly my point! If it's "bias", then show me where I'm wrong. Kuzma scores a lot on a bad team. He isn't efficient. He's a 30% three point shooter. He shoots 60% from the FT line. He doesn't really rebound that well for a 6'9 guy. His VORP, PER, BPM, Net Rating, and WS/48 are all below average at best and terrible in some places. He doesn't play D, and he's not a smart offensive player off ball.

Yet because he averaged like 18 points this year, we're supposed to ignore all of that and if we point it out, we're showing our "bias".

If any of that is wrong, show where it's wrong. But just sticking your fingers in your ears and claiming bias to dismiss all criticism is kind of lame.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Tell me what Kuzma does on a very high level.
    Your most recent hyperboles have been "trash" and "hot garbage". The onus isn't on proving him to be "high level", it's simply in showing the ridiculousness of your claims. I have used the verbiage "stud" and "can't deny his game". Those don't equate to very high level. Just good.

Every time we discuss it, the people who hate the Lakers players get more and more ludicrously away from reality. When you began your stance on even ground, it was probably rational. Now it's ballooned to a point it just doesn't fit the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Your most recent hyperboles have been "trash" and "hot garbage". The onus isn't on proving him to be "high level", it's simply in showing the ridiculousness of your claims. I have used the verbiage "stud" and "can't deny his game". Those don't equate to very high level. Just good.

Every time we discuss it, the people who hate the Lakers players get more and more ludicrously away from reality.
    Tell me what he's good at. Just saying "oh he's a stud" doesn't MEAN anything.

Is he good at shooting? No. Is he a very good passer? No. Does he rebound well? Not really. Is he a Harden-esque free throw machine? No. Is he a killer cutter? No. Does he play strong defense? No.

What does he do? Stop with "he's a stud" and "can't deny his game". What IS his game that I'm apparently denying? What is it that he is good enough at for you to see him as a viable, large piece in an AD trade?

If teams play hack a Lonzo we lose. His FT shooting is worse than Shaq’s.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Lonzo- 41% free throw shooter
    Kuzma - 60% free throw shooter
    Zion - 60% free throw shooter
    Ingram - 67% free throw shooter.

Having these guys as the major focuses of our team is asking to lose games on the free throw line. Obviously there can be some improvement, especially for Zion who has never played in the NBA as of this point, but generally FT shooting is pretty consistent.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    If teams play hack a Lonzo we lose. His FT shooting is worse than Shaq’s.
    Cause Shaq loss a lot...

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Cause Shaq loss a lot...
    Lonzo shoots more like Andre Drummond (Drummond's first four years: 38%, Lonzo: 41%)

And Drummond's done a lot of losing. Guess which one Lonzo's career win rate looks more like right now?

Cause Shaq loss a lot...
    Lonzo isn’t in the same stratosphere as Shaq. Lonzo would be a major liability in certain games.

Lonzo shoots more like Andre Drummond (Drummond's first four years: 38%, Lonzo: 41%)

And Drummond's done a lot of losing. Guess which one Lonzo's career win rate looks more like right now?
    Tbf I still love Drummond. But he is certainly a liability in many situations.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    To go further of your point, looking at his stats considering both his nba and college averages Kuzma is a 15-20 point guy, shoots about 30% from 3, about 45% FG, 2-3 assists a game, and about a 70% FT shooter. These are average stats of many many many players in the league we can pick up at any time in free agency now or in the future for a decent price. If the focus of anyone's trade is Kumza you really have to look at the big picture.

...we get to go McDonalds
    If teams have to resort to "hack-a-Lonzo", that means we're leading or in a competitive series. It also means we get to the bonus faster.
    It's impressive that you're trying to argue that Ball's lack of ability to make a free throw is an advantage for the Pelicans.

It's impressive that you're trying to argue that Ball's lack of ability to make a free throw is an advantage for the Pelicans.
    It’s a bold move for sure.

Having 4 guys who all shoot below 68% from the free throw line will be hard to watch in the crunch.

The mental gymnastics are astounding.

The mental gymnastics are astounding.
    Man, not a dang one of those guys is a shooter either (well Ingram is), so that kills spacing.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Tbf I still love Drummond. But he is certainly a liability in many situations.
    I also think Drummond has some value. He does still shoot a very high percentage from the floor, he's still a fantastic rebounder on both ends, he's actually a better defender than most people give him credit for, and he's expanded his range from ''only at the rim'' to ''he can make a little 8 foot shot'' which isn't great but is at least something.

Definitely a liability though, sometimes. 23 missed FTs in a single game is painful.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Man, not a dang one of those guys is a shooter either (well Ingram is), so that kills spacing.
    Ingram is a career 32% three point shooter. He isn't a shooter, by any means. He sometimes gets hot, like a lot of players do, but he is no sniper or floor spacer.

Lonzo- 41% free throw shooter
    Kuzma - 60% free throw shooter
    Zion - 60% free throw shooter
    Ingram - 67% free throw shooter.

Having these guys as the major focuses of our team is asking to lose games on the free throw line. Obviously there can be some improvement, especially for Zion who has never played in the NBA as of this point, but generally FT shooting is pretty consistent.
    It is obvious the lack of shooting on Lakers have been their downfall. We should stay away.

If Zion needs shooters around him, you don’t go and trade AD for guys who aren’t shooters or else Zion will not reach his potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    It is obvious the lack of shooting on Lakers have been their downfall. We should stay away.
    I couldn't agree more

What is interesting is the Lakers had a -1.7 point differential to end the season. Some rough math shows their starting line up averaged in the low to mid 60s in free throw %. Few more made free throws wouldnt of hurt them unless you account for them not making the playoffs and winning a lottery ball.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.c...ffers.amp.html

More i think about it. It really a 2 man race with the Knicks and Celtics.

Knick is a long term conservative build
    Celtics is an aggressive win culture change. Not a win now mindset.

Laker is throwing **** at the wall and seeing if it sticks build.

Did a little more research on the season's free throw rankings. The lakers finished 2nd to last with a 69.9% free throw percentage. The worse team was miami with 69.5%. The best team was San Antonio 81.4%, Toronto with 80.9%, and Golden State with 80.7%. Our home town heros finshed with 76.1%.

Quote Originally Posted by Pels4Life View Post
    Did a little more research on the season's free throw rankings. The lakers finished 2nd to last with a 69.9% free throw percentage. The worse team was miami with 69.5%. The best team was San Antonio 81.4%, Toronto with 80.9%, and Golden State with 80.7%. Our home town heros finshed with 76.1%.
    So what you're telling me is that, and correct me if I'm wrong here...

Good teams hit their free throws? Is that what you're saying?

I mean, it sounds intuitive, but I got told earlier that missing free throws was a good thing.

Thread Information