Pelicans Report

Page 51 of 127 FirstFirst ... 41 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 61 101 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 3173

Thread: AD trade scenarios...

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    You described a hypothetical. The problem is, that there is no evidence to support that this actually happens. It's just your hypothetical scenario... and none of the actual numbers support that this actually happens. Did you seriously just go back and scout Rubio tape from 7 years ago?? I doubt it. Lonzo has a better eFG% than Rubio did his first two years. So even though Lonzo is literally a better shooter, you're telling me the defense reacted differently to Rubio based off 1 or 2 more hypothetical drives to the basket than Lonzo??? This is ridiculous. I'd rather you just say you love Spaniards and never got BBB shoes that you ordered. That would be more respectable.
    You don't understand basketball. I'm not wasting any more time on you.
    Basketball.

I’d rather persist with Payton than take a chance on Ball tbh (for a lot of reasons). One in particular is that Elfrid has the potential to be a shooter down the line. Ball hasn’t really shown me anything to suggest he will get much better soon if at all. Another is that Payton will certainly command a lot less money and is an almost perfect fit next to Jrue. Ball will bring defense, but his FT percentage is utterly abysmal and will hamper the offense quite a bit. Also, is he worth the baggage? I don’t think so. If we exchange Ball for another pick in a 3 team deal and land Garland, then I can maybe get on board with an LA trade. I don’t fancy trying to build around him.

I don't understand why people care about Elfrid Payton at all right now. We have much MUCH bigger fish to fry first. Payton is like 5th on my list of concerns right now. Right Ahead of what socks I will wear tomorrow and right behind if Randle opts out or not.

Payton moves the needle like 5%. Anyone thinking we live or die by whether we get Payton back or not, just stop. Let's see what we actually get back for AD first. Let's see what free agents are available. Let's see what trade options we have. We'll get to Payton but he is insignificant to our overall goal right now.

I say all that to say, I prefer Payton to Lonzo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I don't understand why people care about Elfrid Payton at all right now. We have much MUCH bigger fish to fry first. Payton is like 5th on my list of concerns right now. Right Ahead of what socks I will wear tomorrow and right behind if Randle opts out or not.

Payton moves the needle like 5%. Anyone thinking we live or die by whether we get Payton back or not, just stop. Let's see what we actually get back for AD first. Let's see what free agents are available. Let's see what trade options we have. We'll get to Payton but he is insignificant to our overall goal right now.
    I don't think anyone is talking about Payton for Payton's sake. They're discussing whether Lonzo is worth being such a focus when Payton provides 80% of what Lonzo does while being cheaper and easier to attain. It's all in reference to Lonzo, not just discussing Payton because they care so much about Payton.

Payton is a solid PG that will sign for a reasonable contract. So, yes he is worth discussing and re-signing.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    Payton is a solid PG that will sign for a reasonable contract. So, yes he is worth discussing and re-signing.
    Yes he is worth discussing... EVENTUALLY. But anyone caring about what happens to Payton right now needs to get their priorities straight. Whether Payton signs with us or not will not make or break this team. Screwing up the AD trade could.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I don't think anyone is talking about Payton for Payton's sake. They're discussing whether Lonzo is worth being such a focus when Payton provides 80% of what Lonzo does while being cheaper and easier to attain. It's all in reference to Lonzo, not just discussing Payton because they care so much about Payton.
    While I agree in that context Payton has been brought up multiple times with people wanting to sign him. I assume because he's a Nola guy. But really he's not worth even worrying about with the current things we have going on.

Yes he is worth discussing... EVENTUALLY. But anyone caring about what happens to Payton right now needs to get their priorities straight. Whether Payton signs with us or not will not make or break this team. Screwing up the AD trade could.
    As Pelicandae said, I was using Payton as a point of reference. I’m ambivalent about re-signing him as it all depends on what we bring in. As for Ball, he will have to really work on his shot to be worth the contract he will receive. And if he doesn’t learn to shoot, you have to build around him with shooters and sacrifice other roles in the team. It probably won’t be an ideal situation for Zion either.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    You don't understand basketball. I'm not wasting any more time on you.
    I’m a rugby fan.

I never played HS or AAU Ball, haven’t been watching NBA/College/HS for over 30 years, didn’t watch family play for 5 pro teams for a decade. Nope.

I’m just a rugby fan (maybe a Lakers fan too), here all day to antagonize you. That I agree with most of the non-Pelicans analysis of Lonzo Ball and I’m probably on the side of the league wide majority is just a coincidence.

Alvin Gentry is also a rugby fan.

I'm in the camp that we are drafting a PG in 2020 and 2021. So, this whole PG debate seems fruitless. I feel like our starting point guard of the future isn't playing in the NBA at the moment. I rather use Jrue as a stopgap and save long term salary.

So, lol at Payton, Simmons, Rubio, and Ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    I'm in the camp that we are drafting a PG in 2020 and 2021. So, this whole PG debate seems fruitless. I feel like our starting point guard of the future isn't playing in the NBA at the moment. I rather use Jrue as a stopgap and save long term salary.

This draft is extremely shallow in guards.

There's Morant, who is the best option clearly, but after that I'm not a huge fan of Garland or White, and you have to wait a little while under people like Ponds start cropping up. Next year seems to be a lot heavier on the guards. Obviously we're still a full year out so there's no knowing who will actually have the best year, but the mock drafts for 2020 generally seem to have RJ Hampton, Theo Maledon, Nico Mannion and Scottie Lewis who are all guard prospects within the top 20.

PG is the deepest position in the league, and a bunch of highly projected folks are coming into the league next year (and this year).

Part of the issue with Pelicans in the past is that they were always looking for a PG. I’d rather have Ball/DSJ/Dinwiddie and still draft a PG in the next 1-3 years if a good one is available.

Between the 4 teams in the conf finals, there were at least 7 good PGs that needed to play well. The team with only 1 good PG got swept.

Throw a big contract at deangelo russel, trade for Robinson, Knox, the 3 pick and the grizzlies pick.

DLo
    Jrue
    Barrett
    Zion
    Robinson

And that Memphis pick will yield a very good player next year

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Throw a big contract at deangelo russel, trade for Robinson, Knox, the 3 pick and the grizzlies pick.

DLo
    Jrue
    Barrett
    Zion
    Robinson

And that Memphis pick will yield a very good player next year
    Is there a shooter involved, anywhere?

I’m a rugby fan.

I never played HS or AAU Ball, haven’t been watching NBA/College/HS for over 30 years, didn’t watch family play for 5 pro teams for a decade. Nope.

I’m just a rugby fan (maybe a Lakers fan too), here all day to antagonize you. That I agree with most of the non-Pelicans analysis of Lonzo Ball and I’m probably on the side of the league wide majority is just a coincidence.

Alvin Gentry is also a rugby fan.
    Rugby fan myself....i used to play hook in the college days

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    You described a hypothetical. The problem is, that there is no evidence to support that this actually happens. It's just your hypothetical scenario... and none of the actual numbers support that this actually happens. Did you seriously just go back and scout Rubio tape from 7 years ago?? I doubt it. Lonzo has a better eFG% than Rubio did his first two years. So even though Lonzo is literally a better shooter, you're telling me the defense reacted differently to Rubio based off 1 or 2 more hypothetical drives to the basket than Lonzo??? This is ridiculous. I'd rather you just say you love Spaniards and never got BBB shoes that you ordered. That would be more respectable.
    And who doesn’t love Spaniard?

I see more space In Harry Potter's broom closet.

I see more space In Harry Potter's broom closet.
    That's why I think any NYC trade NEEDS Trier in it. Low volume, but 39.4% three point shooter in his rookie year. That's important. It's also why I think if we're heading into FA trying to pick players up, they should be guys who can shoot: Bogdanovic, Brogdon, etc.

I might check this out to try and increase my understanding of basketball...

*smashes glass bottle on the ground

*smashes second glass bottle on the ground

Payton should be signing #1 (if we can't get Kemba).
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 06-06-2019 at 08:32 PM.

No pure shooters but it isn’t trash shooters either, DLo shot 37% from 3 this year and is a career 36%, jrue is also a career 36% 3 point shooter and I believe Barrett’s 3 will develop. Is it sharp shooters? No, but jrue and DLo can certainly shoot good enough from 3 to keeps teams honest and space for Zion

That's why I think any NYC trade NEEDS Trier in it. Low volume, but 39.4% three point shooter in his rookie year. That's important. It's also why I think if we're heading into FA trying to pick players up, they should be guys who can shoot: Bogdanovic, Brogdon, etc.
    Don’t want bogdonavic because I don’t want anyone older than 29, rather young guys with potential to grow with Zion, I don’t really Caden if we suck next year, we could develop some good players and get another good pick and then really build, I love Brogdon tho

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Don’t want bogdonavic because I don’t want anyone older than 29, rather young guys with potential to grow with Zion, I don’t really Caden if we suck next year, we could develop some good players and get another good pick and then really build, I love Brogdon tho
    Bogdanovic is way older than we would want long term, but just signing him for a year or two to provide spacing while we set up the longer term pieces wouldn't be a terribl e idea, I think. Think about how Philly gave Reddick that absurd contract despite his age jsut so that Simmons and Embiid could have the space.

Trust Fletch however much you want. I'd recommend a grain of salt, but still.

Thread Information