Pelicans Report

Page 38 of 127 FirstFirst ... 28 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 48 88 ... LastLast

Thread: AD trade scenarios...

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    It's not like Kyrie's baseline was attuned to normal to begin with......but smacks to me of someone with their eyes set three sheets to the wind. He gone. Boston knows it.

Great for Pels. Meh for Boston. No way would Memphis and Washington do it.
    I am not sure I agree fully with the assessment of Boston. As it stands, they could end up trading Brown, Smart, Tatum and significant draft compensation for Davis alone. In this instance, they are adding Davis and a point guard. If anything, Conley is a boon especially since they will likely lose Kyrie Irving. Now, I certainly could see the argument that Memphis and Washington would not be interested. It is hard to argue this though for Memphis they are adding two talented players and draft compensation. And what are they giving up? Possibly Ja Morant or RJ Barrett. Washington makes out terribly but they still get two young players and draft compensation while losing Beal who they are expected to lose. I have seen talk of Kuzma for Beal. Brown and Yabusele, along with 3 draft picks (including the Memphis pick) is not terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by WildlifeAirGrp View Post
    Great stuff but my God, I wouldn't even know where to begin to figure this out. All that I know is that looks like such a lopsided trade in our favor, I'm all for it. For once, I want to hear the talking heads say "the Pelicans just won that trade"
    Lopsided, probably. If anything, Pelicans make out the best in the trade though Hollinger's win/loss predictions indicate that Boston would have the biggest increase in wins. But I cannot argue with your assessment. For me, the reality is that if you trade someone of Davis' talent the trade should be lopsided in your favor. We should not be handing him away for a box of milk duds.

Quote Originally Posted by 60minutes View Post
    I am not sure I agree fully with the assessment of Boston. As it stands, they could end up trading Brown, Smart, Tatum and significant draft compensation for Davis alone. In this instance, they are adding Davis and a point guard. If anything, Conley is a boon especially since they will likely lose Kyrie Irving. Now, I certainly could see the argument that Memphis and Washington would not be interested. It is hard to argue this though for Memphis they are adding two talented players and draft compensation. And what are they giving up? Possibly Ja Morant or RJ Barrett. Washington makes out terribly but they still get two young players and draft compensation while losing Beal who they are expected to lose. I have seen talk of Kuzma for Beal. Brown and Yabusele, along with 3 draft picks (including the Memphis pick) is not terrible.

Lopsided, probably. If anything, Pelicans make out the best in the trade though Hollinger's win/loss predictions indicate that Boston would have the biggest increase in wins. But I cannot argue with your assessment. For me, the reality is that if you trade someone of Davis' talent the trade should be lopsided in your favor. We should not be handing him away for a box of milk duds.
    I’m not sure that’s how it works. It’s been said here many times but not sure you really ever get fair trade compensation for a superstar. We should get a good haul for AD, but I doubt anyone will consider it “lopsided in our favor.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Saints#34 View Post
    I’m not sure that’s how it works. It’s been said here many times but not sure you really ever get fair trade compensation for a superstar. We should get a good haul for AD, but I doubt anyone will consider it “lopsided in our favor.”

I do not disagree. My point, more or less, was that the trade "should be lopsided"--not that it will be. And this belief is guided by the fact that the League is not doing enough to protect franchises in small markets. I am dismayed, for example, by how many persons have expressed indignation toward the Pelicans for so-called holding Davis hostage. When the trade did not go down with the Lakers just ahead of the trade deadline, Lakers' fans argued it was "unfair" as if New Orleans did not have any right to turn down the Lakers' offer. Others were upset upon learning that the Pels leaked the trade--with Magic and many of the media characterizing it as the Pelicans not acting in good faith as if we, ourselves, woke up one day and decided to trade Davis. No, you want our best player and want us to just hand him over.

Now, for the record, I am a strong advocate of players' rights relative to the labor question. But I do not think the NBA should allow a few, big-market franchises and a group of players to force the hands of other teams. That is not a sustainable model. And until the League does something to address it, my feeling is that those teams that are being exploited in the process should exact as much in a trade return as possible. Deplete rosters and get the very best return you can get. As much as Demps was not successful at his job, I am glad that he refused to trade Davis and that it caused disruption/dissension for the Lakers organization and team. So this is the context for my feelings about trading Davis to the highest bidder in a lopsided fashion if possible. Hell, if not for a commitment to building around Zion and getting something in return for Davis, I would make Davis wait until next summer to walk in free agency just out of spite. And while I think that is absolutely foolish, so is losing a generational talent for players who, in most of these trade scenarios, are not going to provide us with fair compensation.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I see way more good trades that I like, than bad trades that I don't for AD.

My trade of the day, is this 3 team Celtics trade with Memphis involved.

New Orleans
    Tatum
    Conley
    Pick 14 (Nickeil Alexander)
    Pick 22 (Cam Johnson)
    2020 Memphis Pick

Pelicans go into next year with a top 4 backcourt in the West, and two very experienced guards who would complement each other almost perfectly and put Zion in a great position to succeed. Tatum is still the prize as a scorer on the wing with potential to develop in an All Star caliber player. In the draft I'd grab three point shooters that can space the court. Next year's draft is where I might add my PG of the future in a deep class. Also, the 2020 Free Agency class isn't stellar, so I don't mind the two remaining years on Conley's deal, and instead prioritize winning and culture.

Boston
    Davis

If they still want AD and believe this is the way to get him, they give up a lot of draft capitol, but keep Jaylen Brown.

Memphis
    Williams
    Smart
    Hill
    Pick #20

Memphis gets a guard on a good contract to pair in the backcourt with Ja. They don't want to be terrible next year, as there ideal scenario is their pick conveying in the late lottery next year. Robert Williams is a young big that they can pair with Jackson. And they pick up the #20 pick in the draft. Even though we make them take on Solomon Hill, they save about $5m in salary next year. A 1st round pick, a solid starter, a promising big, and $5m savings should be more than enough to acquire Conley.

Conley/Frank
    Jrue/Moore/Nickeil
    Tatum/Kendrick
    Zion/Cam/Diallo
    Okafor/Wood

I'd try to sign Dedmond and another vet on the wing like Thabo, Gay, or Ariza to short term deals to round out the roster and the locker room. If Zion is any good as a rookie, a Conley/Jrue/Tatum trio with smart role players and good coaching could get a playoff spot.

Knicks had Barrett in today for a work-out. Will obviously see what happens, but if the Grizz really do pass on Morant, and NY likes what they see from Barrett, then there could be a real surprise on draft night.
    Basketball.

Only reason I could see Memphis thinking about passing on Morant is if his knee issue is worse than being let on.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Only reason I could see Memphis thinking about passing on Morant is if his knee issue is worse than being let on.
    It could just as easily be they don't think of him as highly as fans do.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    It could just as easily be they don't think of him as highly as fans do.
    They're like me, and think he's just going to be 10% better Jeff Teague.

Well, if we want to do the Knicks trade. We probably gotta do it before free agency with KD probably backpeddle back to GSW.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Well, if we want to do the Knicks trade. We probably gotta do it before free agency with KD probably backpeddle back to GSW.
    I agree. All signs point to draft night is the time to get it done

Trade of the Day

Lakers
    Davis

Bulls
    Ball
    Hill

Pelicans
    Ingram
    Kuzma
    Wagner
    2019 Lakers pick
    2020 Bulls pick (#1 overall protected, unprotected 2021)
    2021 pick swap rights with Bulls
    2021 Lakers pick
    2022 pick swap rights with Lakers

Pelicans don’t need to dump Solo on Bulls, but do so to clear a guy who clearly wasn’t happy at the end of last season away from a new locker room. Instead of getting Bulls #7 overall this year, Pels opt to space out draft capital and not bring in 3 1st round rookies this year.

Garland is the pick at 4. He’s the ideal fit long term and at a need position. As a guy who can pull up off the dribble from deep, his floor is maybe a Lou Williams type off the bench, but his ceiling is Dame.

Ingram and Kuzma give you two shots at guys who can definitely be a part of a playoff rotation as their floor, but with Ingram the ceiling of All Star Wing is still there provided he’s healthy. Wagner gives you a potential stretch big who could be a part of a center rotation that can compliment Zion depending on matchups.

The future compensation from Bulls/Lakers, IMO, is on par (if not better) than what Celtics, Clippers or Knicks could offer. Bulls pick would be more valuable IMO than Memphis pick, Dallas pick, or Miami pick.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    They're like me, and think he's just going to be 10% better Jeff Teague.
    No. He’s going to be dominant. Teague was very good but Ja is more like Lillard and Westbrook. Not as athletic as wedtbrook but better bbiq possibly...

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    No. He’s going to be dominant. Teague was very good but Ja is more like Lillard and Westbrook. Not as athletic as wedtbrook but better bbiq possibly...

He has none of the strength and finishing ability that Westbrook has. He's not the leader that Lillard is.

He's going to be Jeff Teague but 10-15% better at everything. That's a very good player. May make a handful of all-star teams depending on conference. But that's very different from "dominant". Only time will tell, of course, but I think I have good reason for my prediction.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar

AD trade scenarios...

He has none of the strength and finishing ability that Westbrook has. He's not the leader that Lillard is.

He's going to be Jeff Teague but 10-15% better at everything. That's a very good player. May make a handful of all-star teams depending on conference. But that's very different from "dominant". Only time will tell, of course, but I think I have good reason for my prediction.
    He is definitely going to be a point GOD. He is a court general and the best leader in this draft besides RJ. 10 percent better than Teague? That’s his floor. Scouts compare him to Teague. Watch the tournament.

I don't know... it seems kind of early to declare a 19 year old, "not the leader that Lillard is"

...especially considering no one was paying attention to Lillard at all as a 19 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    He is definitely going to be a point GOD. He is a court general and the best leader in this draft besides RJ. 10 percent better than Teague? That’s his floor. Scouts compare him to Teague. Watch the tournament.

In 99% of cases, if you resort to implying that the other person only disagrees because they haven't watched the games, you're basically just being stupid. I watched the tournament. I think what I think BECAUSE I've watched Morant play. If you have an actual point then make it, don't just vaguely suggest that the only way someone could think differently is because they're ignorant or clueless.

Morant will probably be a pretty good player. Like I said, might make a couple of all star teams. May average 19/8 a few years, depending on how well his shot works and if he can gain strength on drives. But to just decide he's going to be a "Point GOD!" Is absurd. Morant is a lock for #2 in this draft because it's a weak draft, not because he's an unstoppable prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    I don't know... it seems kind of early to declare a 19 year old, "not the leader that Lillard is"

...especially considering no one was paying attention to Lillard at all as a 19 year old.
    That's fair. At the same time though, leadership and mentality is something that gets developed in time. Morant may gain it, or he may not. But if you're saying he's "like Lillard", like champ did, then you're just asking for the comparison to be made.

That's fair. At the same time though, leadership and mentality is something that gets developed in time. Morant may gain it, or he may not. But if you're saying he's "like Lillard", like champ did, then you're just asking for the comparison to be made.
    But is he saying he's like Lillard as a rookie, or that he walks onto the court Day 1 being like All NBA Lillard? I always assume when folks are making player comps, it's to who they could develop into, not who they'll be on first contract. Or they're comparing who that player will be as a rookie, to the other player as a rookie.

No way any of these guys is their comp without factoring time, development, and special sauce (the right situation).

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    But is he saying he's like Lillard as a rookie, or that he walks onto the court Day 1 being like All NBA Lillard? I always assume when folks are making player comps, it's to who they could develop into, not who they'll be on first contract. Or they're comparing who that player will be as a rookie, to the other player as a rookie.

No way any of these guys is their comp without factoring time, development, and special sauce (the right situation).
    I'm not entirely sure which comparison he's making. It's a little tricky because what he says Morant will be ''dominant'', and then compares him to Lillard. What makes Lillard so dominant is largely his mentality, his toughness, and his leadership. Those things Morant doesn't have right now, for obvious reasons: he has no NBA experience, and while he's shown some toughness it's not exactly on Lillard's level. So if you're saying Morant will be dominant because he shares X trait with Y superstar, then I have to assume you're saying he will develop into someone who has those skills just like player Y did.

Which is relatively easy to predict with some things (yeah, for example, he's very athletic so he's going to jump high like Westbrook, sure) but extremely difficult to predict with other things (will Morant have the mental toughness Lillard does in 5 years time? No clue. Maybe. Probably not, but who knows?).

AD trade scenarios...

http://bleacherreport.com/post/nba-r...8-06a7577f16be

LOL.

Also "BREAKING NEWS": it's HOT outside

Here we go. Draft day trade deadline incoming.

This isn't complicated. Everyone knew this was coming, so this to me reads like "Best and Finals are Due by Friday".

Via reddit, and not surprising: "[Charania] Across the NBA, rival executives believe the following teams will be able to compile the best packages: The Los Angeles Lakers, New York Knicks, Boston Celtics and Brooklyn Nets."

Thread Information