Pelicans Report

Page 36 of 127 FirstFirst ... 26 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 46 86 ... LastLast

Thread: AD trade scenarios...

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I don't want Hayward's albatross contract on this team. Horford isn't going to opt out and then resign with the same team for $20m less.

You'd have to keep Hayward's contract because his deal + the 14th pick is NOT going to get Myles Turner. Not even close. Turner is an extremely good player. You don't take back big risks (Hayward) when you're sending out an extremely good young player, you take back assets.
    This, to get turner would cost something like either brown or smart with the 14th pick

Trade idea, oladipo, turner and a sign a trade bogdonavic for AD

Jrue
    Oladipo
    Bogdonavic
    Zion
    Turner

The Franchise
    Hayward showed some flashes of his old self. I think the issue with him is he needs the ball to facilitate the offense or at least that’s how he was in Utah. Having Kyrie or really any dominant pg is going to hurt what he does. Going to a team without a clear pg would help him tremendously. He wouldn’t be bad here either but I’d rather guys a little younger so this team could grow together.

If Boston does low ball us, I could go NY or Laker the only issue is that I’m not fired up about the players so I’d want to move them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Heywards contract is fine. He only has this year & next year he will become an expiring. I kinda like the 2 yr rental of a above average vet on the team. Timeline fits .
    Well he has 2 years left after the current season on his deal but also a 15% trade kicker. It's an albatross contract, no way around it. I don't really feel like dealing with it just to help Boston out. They already had problems finding minutes because Brown, Tatum, and Hayward all play the same position requiring Tatum to routinely play out of position to give everyone time. If we are trying to develop Tatum, I don't really want to put him in the position he has been in Boston this whole time. Plus Brown can't really slide to PF for us since Zion will be spending time there.

I can see enough minutes for 2 guys being added with Zion in those positions. Same deal if Smart is traded instead of Brown. That means Tatum can't slide down to SG with Moore and Smart there. Can't slide up to PF with Zion there. Basically Hayward just really messes up our rotation a lot for guys we want to actually develop.

That's not even to mention Kendrich Williams who deserves more minutes and development time as well or Frank Jackson at guard.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Well he has 2 years left after the current season on his deal but also a 15% trade kicker. It's an albatross contract, no way around it. I don't really feel like dealing with it just to help Boston out. They already had problems finding minutes because Brown, Tatum, and Hayward all play the same position requiring Tatum to routinely play out of position to give everyone time. If we are trying to develop Tatum, I don't really want to put him in the position he has been in Boston this whole time. Plus Brown can't really slide to PF for us since Zion will be spending time there.

I can see enough minutes for 2 guys being added with Zion in those positions. Same deal if Smart is traded instead of Brown. That means Tatum can't slide down to SG with Moore and Smart there. Can't slide up to PF with Zion there. Basically Hayward just really messes up our rotation a lot for guys we want to actually develop.

That's not even to mention Kendrich Williams who deserves more minutes and development time as well or Frank Jackson at guard.
    Not following the word salad.
    This season is over. I said- I have no problem with a 2-year rental. That doesn't require a trade. Correct me if I'm wrong , but isn't such trade kickers negotiable? Heyward can agree to waive the kicker, correct?
    Last edited by Tinman; 06-02-2019 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Trade idea, oladipo, turner and a sign a trade bogdonavic for AD

Jrue
    Oladipo
    Bogdonavic
    Zion
    Turner
    I really like this team, but maybe instead of bogdonavic they include Thaddeus Young and we sign like Tobias Harris or jimmy butler

Jrue
    Oladipo
    Butler or Harris
    Zion
    Turner
    Last edited by HornetGuru; 06-02-2019 at 10:37 AM.

I really like this team, but maybe instead of bogdonavic they include Thaddeus Young and we sign like Tobias Harris or jimmy butler

Jrue
    Oladipo
    Butler or Harris
    Zion
    Turner
    No Jimmy Butler. Man's a locker room cancer.

We don't have the cash for him or Tobias anyway, but still, the point remains.

Bogdanovic > Thad Young, we need shooters.

I don't think the Pacers would do this though. They were a top team in the East this year before Oladipo went down. They would be looking to ADD to that core, not give away all of it. They might be willing to part with either Turner or Sabonis, but I don't think they move Oladipo at all.
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post

How is a 2 yr contract an albatross? Even if you pay 5 mill extra for 1yr. You either keep him for 2yrs (he has a PO, obviously re-upping.) or you send him off as an expiring in 20-21 . Albatross to me is $$ + Time. CP3, Blake Griffin, Kevin Love et al. I don't see a possible 2yr Max as an albatross.

The Franchise
    I didn’t plan on keeping Hayward. The plan would be to flip him to a team in need of a star player or at least a player that would bring veteran leadership. I was thinking along the lines of the suns or Atlanta. Indiana was brought up and interesting.

No Jimmy Butler. Man's a locker room cancer.

We don't have the cash for him or Tobias anyway, but still, the point remains.

Bogdanovic > Thad Young, we need shooters.

I don't think the Pacers would do this though. They were a top team in the East this year before Oladipo went down. They would be looking to ADD to that core, not give away all of it. They might be willing to part with either Turner or Sabonis, but I don't think they move Oladipo at all.
    The east was a little weak, if we offered ad for oladipo and turner I would be very surprised if they turned it down, just my opinion

The Franchise
    The east was a little weak, if we offered ad for oladipo and turner I would be very surprised if they turned it down, just my opinion
    I don’t think they give up Oladipo. Who’s around AD if you make that move plus there isn’t going to be draft picks which I think is important.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Not following the word salad.
    This season is over. I said- I have no problem with a 2-year rental. That doesn't require a trade. Correct me if I'm wrong , but isn't such trade kickers negotiable? Heyward can agree to waive the kicker, correct?
    As far as contracts go this season isn't over. The new season starts July 1st. But that is more about wording more than anything else. It's a non issue.

You said you have no problem with a 2 year rental. That doesn't require a trade? I'm confused by what you mean here. We are discussing Hayward, there's no way to get him without a trade.

Hayward *could* waive his entire contract not just the trade kicker. The question is why would he waive either and cheat himself out of money? Especially to go right back into the same situation of having to split minutes with Tatum / Brown.

I think you should go back and reread my "word salad" because a lot of what's in there involves just how much having Hayward would throw off our rotations and mess up our development of guys we actually want to improve and give time to.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    I don’t think they give up Oladipo. Who’s around AD if you make that move plus there isn’t going to be draft picks which I think is important.
    Yeah, that's my point. The entire goal of making an AD trade is to make your team better. Does Indiana get better if it gains AD, but loses Oladipo and Turner?

Not really. Now, if they could ship Turner + Bogdanovic + picks, it would be a very different scenario because I can imagine Oladipo+AD being a killer combo. But the goal would be to pair AD with Oladipo, not switch the two.

Why would they ever turn that down? That's a pretty weak offer. Oladipo is coming off injury, Turner is... OK, and then we want to move AD for them and the right to have to overpay in a sign and trade?

It's not about fit with this trade. I think the fit is fine. It's about value, which is extremely poor for AD.

Cool, but I gathered that you think Brown, Tatum, Smart, filler, and the Memphis pick is too much, because you had said that in the post I was replying to.

What I was asking is what do you think is a more realistic offer for Boston to make? That is, in your opinion, what DO you think they offer, realistically?
    What do I think the Celtics would offer for AD? There are two offers they would make us, one if Kyrie is out, and one if Kyrie is in. This isn’t being made in vacuum, Kyrie’s decision will impact the offer.

If Kyrie Stays
    Pels send out AD
    Boston sends out Tatum, Smart, Memphis Pick/Brown, their first round picks that they can.

If Kyrie Leaves
    Pels send out AD
    Boston sends Tatum, Smart, Memphis Pick, their first round picks.

They need to keep young talent on the roster if Kyrie leaves, and while Brown isn’t Tatum, he is still a young player, and is turning into a great two way player, and that will push for Boston to exclude him from the trade.

Obviously the 2nd trade is less attractive because you can’t get both Tatum and Brown, but then again, if Kyrie leaves I don’t think Boston will trade for AD anyway.

Honestly, I would look for a dark horse to come in and give us an offer none of us saw coming (which is why I would love to gage Toronto’s interest for Pascal and assets).
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Just thought I'd drop this here for those people who still advocate moving Lonzo for picks. Suns wouldn't do it for the #6.
    Good. Lonzo missing 40+ games, can't shoot 3s or FT isn't worth a mid range lotto pick.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    What do I think the Celtics would offer for AD? There are two offers they would make us, one if Kyrie is out, and one if Kyrie is in. This isn’t being made in vacuum, Kyrie’s decision will impact the offer.

If Kyrie Stays
    Pels send out AD
    Boston sends out Tatum, Smart, Memphis Pick/Brown, their first round picks that they can.

If Kyrie Leaves
    Pels send out AD

They need to keep young talent on the roster if Kyrie leaves, and while Brown isn’t Tatum, he is still a young player, and is turning into a great two way player, and that will push for Boston to exclude him from the trade.

Obviously the 2nd trade is less attractive because you can’t get both Tatum and Brown, but then again, if Kyrie leaves I don’t think Boston will trade for AD anyway.

Honestly, I would look for a dark horse to come in and give us an offer none of us saw coming (which is why I would love to gage Toronto’s interest for Pascal and assets).
    They won’t know about Kyrie (theoretically) until July 1, which would be after the draft when a trade will most likely be agreed on. As for Smart and Brown, I’d bet they would prefer to keep Smart. He would fit better with Kyrie and AD in my opinion. Plus Brown is going to demand a big contract that I don’t think he’s worth. Next year will be a weak FA crop unless everyone opts out which means big over pays for players next summer. If we got Brown I would flip him either now or at the deadline.
    Last edited by tdcreator; 06-02-2019 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post

If Kyrie Stays
    Pels send out AD

If Kyrie Leaves
    Pels send out AD

Um. The pick you suggested if Kyrie still leaves is an absolutely awesome offer. If the only difference you see between Kyrie staying or leaving is basically if they include Brown or not, I think we pretty much agree on that and I'd be more than happy either way.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Good. Lonzo missing 40+ games, can't shoot 3s or FT isn't worth a mid range lotto pick.

That’s disappointing because if we trade with the lakers, I’d rather move Ball for as much as we can get for him. Ingram and Kuzma as well

That’s disappointing because if we trade with the lakers, I’d rather move Ball for as much as we can get for him. Ingram and Kuzma as well
    Most people agree. That's why I posted the tweet. Lots of people are in favour of the Lakers deal assuming they can flip Lonzo to either Phoenix or Chicago. Most of us thought that was unlikely anyway, but now we have some good reason to think the Sun's are not even in consideration. That's a big blow to those who loved the Lakers offer with the intention of flipping Lonzo.

They won’t know about Kyrie (theoretically) until July 1, which would be after the draft when a trade will most likely be agreed on. As for Smart and Brown, I’d bet they would prefer to keep Smart. He would fit better with Kyrie and AD in my opinion. Plus Brown is going to demand a big contract that I don’t think he’s worth. Next year will be a week FA crop unless everyone opts out which means big over pays for players next summer. If we got Brown I would flip him either now or at the deadline.
    I think they will know before free agency if Kyrie is all in. Players talk, and as we get closer you will hear more buzz about him staying or leaving. Right now, many reporters in the Boston market have all but written Kyrie off, and the fans (would love to have him back) are ready for life without Kyrie. I don’t think landing AD changes Kyrie’s mind. The guy people need to pay attention to is KD, as he and Kyrie are friends.

It’s still too soon to tell one way or the other, but I don’t believe the Pels will be getting as much from Boston as people are thinking.

Just saw the news that the Bulls came extremely close to trading Dunn and Markkanen for CP3.

They pulled out, but if 34 year old $47m CP3 can come within a hair's breadth of securing Markkanen, I expect a good AD return.

Haha. True that.

Yep, UNO. These players don't exactly have the best poker face when it comes to "being all in or not". That or they just don't care. KD. AD. Kyrie......the people around them know when they're leaning.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Yep, UNO. These players don't exactly have the best poker face when it comes to "being all in or not". That or they just don't care. KD. AD. Kyrie......the people around them know when they're leaning.
    Exactly. The one thing KD and Kyrie have on AD is that they don’t have clowns representing them and showing their cards.

Just saw the news that the Bulls came extremely close to trading Dunn and Markkanen for CP3.

They pulled out, but if 34 year old $47m CP3 can come within a hair's breadth of securing Markkanen, I expect a good AD return.
    If true, they do not value Markkanen as much as I thought they did.

Thread Information