Pelicans Report

Page 24 of 127 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 74 124 ... LastLast

Thread: AD trade scenarios...

If AD is going to be traded, there are really only two realistic places for him to land in my humble opinion. He shouldn't be traded to the Lakers, Clippers or any other Western Conference team, because you don't want the Pelicans competing with that team for a playoff spot during his tenure there. Obvious. The Knicks and Celtics are the only teams I am aware of with the capital to land AD and the desire to acquire him. So the choice, if those are the two best bidders from the East, is between the team with the best picks (Knicks) and the team with the best players (Celtics). I am fine with them taking either deal, but assuming Griffin lands a haul from either scenario, I lean towards the Knicks trade. The Pelicans could presumably add at least Barrett, Robinson, player trade pieces and several more FRPs including both 2021 picks and the Knicks' 2023. I just think that kind of value provides the team with a lot of flexibility over the next couple of years while still allowing a competitive team to be built around Jrue, Zion and Barrett. Between the players the Pelicans would control that would be available in trades, the picks they would own and the cap room that could be created, New Orleans could make moves on targeted RFAs like Brogdon or even sign a couple of decent second tier free agents.

The Franchise
    I think you have deals in place with NY, Lakers, and Boston. At the draft you pull the trigger. If Ja doesn’t go to Memphis I’d pull the string on NY even though it’s not my favorite but you get to build around Ja and Zion for the next 8 years. Other than that whichever deal between the other 2 Griff likes best is who I’d go with. I personally like Boston but that’s because I want Tatum. If we don’t come out of this draft without a wing, it’ll be a complete failure.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiewoof View Post
    If AD is going to be traded, there are really only two realistic places for him to land in my humble opinion. He shouldn't be traded to the Lakers, Clippers or any other Western Conference team, because you don't want the Pelicans competing with that team for a playoff spot during his tenure there. Obvious. The Knicks and Celtics are the only teams I am aware of with the capital to land AD and the desire to acquire him. So the choice, if those are the two best bidders from the East, is between the team with the best picks (Knicks) and the team with the best players (Celtics). I am fine with them taking either deal, but assuming Griffin lands a haul from either scenario, I lean towards the Knicks trade. The Pelicans could presumably add at least Barrett, Robinson, player trade pieces and several more FRPs including both 2021 picks and the Knicks' 2023. I just think that kind of value provides the team with a lot of flexibility over the next couple of years while still allowing a competitive team to be built around Jrue, Zion and Barrett. Between the players the Pelicans would control that would be available in trades, the picks they would own and the cap room that could be created, New Orleans could make moves on targeted RFAs like Brogdon or even sign a couple of decent second tier free agents.
    There are multiple realistic destinations for AD.
    Boston, Denver, Brooklyn, Knicks, Clippers, Lakers, Toronto, Philly. There are certainly several more dark horses.
    As long as you don't look at a trade as BINARY, the Pels trade w/ just about anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    There are multiple realistic destinations for AD.
    Boston, Denver, Brooklyn, Knicks, Clippers, Lakers, Toronto, Philly. There are certainly several more dark horses.
    As long as you don't look at a trade as BINARY, the Pels trade w/ just about anybody.
    Certainly there are other teams that could enter the AD trade picture. That's why I said that the Knicks and Celtics were the only teams I was aware of that had expressed interest and had the pieces to trade and I limited it to teams from the East, because I wouldn't want them to trade him to a Western Conference team. I could see Brooklyn or Philly getting involved and they have some attractive pieces, but I haven't heard of interest yet.

I also really want Barrett, so there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombiewoof View Post
    Certainly there are other teams that could enter the AD trade picture. That's why I said that the Knicks and Celtics were the only teams I was aware of that had expressed interest and had the pieces to trade and I limited it to teams from the East, because I wouldn't want them to trade him to a Western Conference team. I could see Brooklyn or Philly getting involved and they have some attractive pieces, but I haven't heard of interest yet.

I also really want Barrett, so there's that.
    Well, frankly I think that the so-called (teams that have expressed intersest) is 90% media driven from the 10% of anonymous (more than likely mid-level employees of said teams).
    No POBO, EVP , GM or any "person in the know" is going to show their hand. If anything, the will put out misinformation. So, in my eyes, the Pels have 29 teams to deal with.

Well, frankly I think that the so-called (teams that have expressed intersest) is 90% media driven from the 10% of anonymous (more than likely mid-level employees of said teams).
    No POBO, EVP , GM or any "person in the know" is going to show their hand. If anything, the will put out misinformation. So, in my eyes, the Pels have 29 teams to deal with.
    Fine by me. The more teams expressing interest to Griffin (rather than media speculation), the better.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    The Phoenix Suns could make an offer that would be pretty hard to top and set the Pelicans up to have a pretty balanced and dominant team. They also have Devin Booker entering a stretch next year where unless they start to improve Booker could very realistically start making trade demands of his own in a couple of years. Trading for AD would be a risk, but if Phoenix can add a PG in free agency, a team with Booker/AD could be what turns that dumpster fire of a franchise around.

If Phoenix offers Pick #6, Ayton, Warren, and any salary filler necessary... how do Lakers, Nets, Celtics, Raptors, or Knicks beat that?

Grab Coby White (or Garland) at 6, and that's a hellofa team!

A White/Jrue/Warren/Zion/Ayton starting lineup fits from an on court fit, competitive timeline, and salary cap management point of view. Putting Zion with Ayton - especially if both (or either) develops a reliable outside shot - would be pretty nasty with Coby White or Jrue running PnR and Warren and the other guard spotting up for 3 pointers. The Pelicans staff already has experience making Boogie/AD work for a stretch before Boogie got hurt.

Would Suns do it?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...is/1197592001/

Griffin could ask for Warren, Jackson, the No. 6 pick — and Ayton — for Davis.

The Suns could throw in Tyler Johnson to help match the salaries as Davis is due $27 million next season and $28.7 million in 2020-21 with a player option in 2020, but Ayton would make it worth it for New Orleans.

With Ayton, Zion Williamson and whomever they draft with that sixth pick, New Orleans would have a powerful foundation to build upon for the next 10 years.

What would Phoenix get out of the deal?

An instant top-five tandem of Davis and Devin Booker. Those two could make everyone else better and turn the Suns into an instant playoff contender.

It’s a one-year shot with Davis, but making a move like would show free agents Phoenix is ready to win right now.
    Last edited by NMThreeMVP; 05-25-2019 at 11:08 AM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Ideal Suns trade...

@PelicansNBA get:
    Tyler Johnson
    T.J. Warren
    Deandre Ayton
    2019 - R1 from PHX

@Suns get:
    Solomon Hill
    Anthony Davis

http://tradenba.com/trades/HyUQFkDaE

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    If Phoenix offers Pick #6, Ayton, Warren, and any salary filler necessary... how do Lakers, Nets, Celtics, Raptors, or Knicks beat that?

Grab Coby White (or Garland) at 6, and that's a hellofa team!

A White/Jrue/Warren/Zion/Ayton starting lineup fits from an on court fit, competitive timeline, and salary cap management point of view. Putting Zion with Ayton - especially if both (or either) develops a reliable outside shot - would be pretty nasty with Coby White or Jrue running PnR and Warren and the other guard spotting up for 3 pointers. The Pelicans staff already has experience making Boogie/AD work for a stretch before Boogie got hurt.
    I'm actually not a big fan of this trade. The #6 pick isn't great value: I think most people are agreed that this draft drops out after Zion, and then drops off again after Morant and Barrett. I personally disagree, because I'm very high on Culver, but at #6 the odds are that all four of those names are gone (especially Zion, cause we'd be taking him #1, obviously). After that, there's not exactly a gold mine, especially for guards. I am not high on Garland at all. I think he is what people feared Trae Young would be at an NBA level, and I don't have him going top ten in my draft. I'm a bit higher on White, but he still does nothing to really stun me, and doesn't impress me that much as a prospect.

I'm also not that high on Ayton. He's obviously still young, but a lot of his flaws are things that are very difficult to teach. He has very little nose for the ball, very little in the way of defensive instinct, and isn't very good at playing in improvised scenarios. He has a few moves, and he's a good rebounder, but aside from the natural qualities of his body he's not a very good defender, which is something you want from a big man who can't shoot from distance. Again, obviously he could learn, but given that I'm not that high on their picks there has to be something to entice me, and Ayton isn't that guy imo.

I do like Warren.

I think the Lakers would struggle to beat that, because I don't like any of their young guys either, and I definitely like Ayton more than I like Ingram or Kuzma. But as for how the Knicks beat that? Same deal they've had available the entire time. #3, Robinson, Trier, their 2020 FRP, 2x Dallas picks.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I'm actually not a big fan of this trade. The #6 pick isn't great value: I think most people are agreed that this draft drops out after Zion, and then drops off again after Morant and Barrett. I personally disagree, because I'm very high on Culver, but at #6 the odds are that all four of those names are gone (especially Zion, cause we'd be taking him #1, obviously). After that, there's not exactly a gold mine, especially for guards. I am not high on Garland at all. I think he is what people feared Trae Young would be at an NBA level, and I don't have him going top ten in my draft. I'm a bit higher on White, but he still does nothing to really stun me, and doesn't impress me that much as a prospect.

I'm also not that high on Ayton. He's obviously still young, but a lot of his flaws are things that are very difficult to teach. He has very little nose for the ball, very little in the way of defensive instinct, and isn't very good at playing in improvised scenarios. He has a few moves, and he's a good rebounder, but aside from the natural qualities of his body he's not a very good defender, which is something you want from a big man who can't shoot from distance. Again, obviously he could learn, but given that I'm not that high on their picks there has to be something to entice me, and Ayton isn't that guy imo.

I do like Warren.

I think the Lakers would struggle to beat that, because I don't like any of their young guys either, and I definitely like Ayton more than I like Ingram or Kuzma. But as for how the Knicks beat that? Same deal they've had available the entire time. #3, Robinson, Trier, their 2020 FRP, 2x Dallas picks.
    Yeah, in this draft, unless the Pels are keen on 1 specific player (after Zion), 6 or 13 is irrelevant . The players are in the same bushel, & it becomes a purely positional pick.
    So, immediately, I say Boston's offer can be substantially better. I'll take Tatum,Brown, Memphis pk, Sac pk & LaClip pick package over Phx without hesitation. I do like Warren though.
    Last edited by Tinman; 05-25-2019 at 11:36 AM.

The Franchise
    I’d also send him east if the deals are close. As for ayton, I’d much rather buy low on bomba than ayton and the suns would have to give up Bridges and more firsts because that first is bad.

Maybe ayton, Bridges, Warren, okobo, 3 first and their second this year. Plus they at least have to take Hill. I’m still not sure I like it.

Lakers don't even have the salary on the books to make an AD trade, unless they draft their pick. I think the L.A. Are lowest on totum poll, & that includes teams that haven't even been mentioned yet.

Saw this trade on:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/lonzowi...e-package/amp/

Chicago gets: Lonzo Ball

Pelicans get: Brandon Ingram, Kyle Kuzma, Moritz Wagner, Kris Dunn, the No. 4 pick (via LAL), the No. 7 pick (via CHI) and two future first-round picks.

Lakers get: Anthony Davis

Now if we could get all those picks I would love that deal. I would hope Garland would fall to 7 though and take Hunter or Culver at 4 since I think those two are better than Garland at 4. I really like it cause of the two future 1st round picks, with hopefully at least one coming from Chicago. I liked Dunn a ton coming into the league, but he hasn’t been as good as I thought. Think he could be a decent backup if we could land Garland with that 7th pick. Maybe we would be forced to take Garland at 4 and hope Culver makes it to 7, but Coby White could be the backup plan at 7. Even though I like Ball, this is probably one of the better Laker deals if we could get 4 first round picks.

C: Okafor, Wagner
    PF: Zion, Kuzma
    SF: Ingram, Hunter
    SG: Jrue, Moore
    PG: Garland, Dunn
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 05-25-2019 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    Saw this trade on:

Pelicans get: Brandon Ingram, Kyle Kuzma, Moritz Wagner, Kris Dunn, the No. 4 pick (via LAL), the No. 7 pick (via CHI) and two future first-round picks.

Now if we could get all those picks I would love that deal. I would hope Garland would fall to 7 though and take Hunter or Culver at 4 since I think those two are better than Garland at 4. I really like it cause of the two future 1st round picks, with hopefully at least one coming from Chicago. I liked Dunn a ton coming into the league, but he hasn’t been as good as I thought. Think he could be a decent backup if we could land Garland with that 7th pick. Maybe we would be forced to take Garland at 4 and hope Culver makes it to 7, but Coby White could be the backup plan at 7. Even though I like Ball, this is probably one of the better Laker deals if we could get 4 first round picks.

Send Kuzma & #4 to Chi. For Lavine.
    Lavine, Jrue, Ingram, Zion--- Okafor/Wagner.

Is it just me who thinks this is actually a relatively poor year for this to happen in?

I can't think of a better year, but as much as I like some of the offers that could be made for AD, you'd think that trading a top three talent in his prime would net more, larger offers, no?

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    Saw this trade on:

Unless the Pelicans think Ingram is going to be a star, that's a lot of quantity but not much high end quality. Those Laker players couldn't even win playing with LeBron. Maybe the 4th or 7th pick would perform far beyond projections... or maybe not. This draft after the first few picks becomes unclear and risky.

It's a matter of who they like, but it seems like other teams can come up with better deals and more star potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Gant- View Post
    Unless the Pelicans think Ingram is going to be a star, that's a lot of quantity but not much high end quality. Those Laker players couldn't even win playing with LeBron. Maybe the 4th or 7th pick would perform far beyond projections... or maybe not. This draft after the first few picks becomes unclear and risky.

It's a matter of who they like, but it seems like other teams can come up with better deals and more star potential.
    I think this is part of the issue that people, including me, have with the Lakers trade.

If you trade AD for Ingram, Ball, and Kuzma, then essentially what you're doing is asking us to run the 2017-18 Lakers team, with Jrue bolted on. You say that Zion is there, sure, but while I believe that he will be much better than Randle, there is a fairness in comparing them in at least some basic ways. So you'd be running the 2017-18 Lakers team, with Randle being about 40% better at everything, plus Jrue. Is that a successful team in year one? No. Well, then you've got to pay Ingram, or he walks. Not a good spot to be in.

Also, Garland is not going to be that good, and Dunn is already very bad. No thanks to having them be our 1 guards.

Without knowing who Griffin values highly, it’s tough for me to see a potential deal that beats an opportunity to take either Barrett or Morant at #3. For me, it would have to be a trade that brings a bona fide all star player and picks. I have trouble seeing that happening.

From where I'm standing I have no idea how any executive can trade much in value for Ingram. First and foremost the blood clot situation no matter how well researched would be a PR nightmare if it were to end his career. Then you have the issue with him underperforming expectations for 3 seasons. While person6I like his game and think a fresh start could put him on a stars track. If it was me I just couldn't risk it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

I do like Warren.

I'd be more interested in maybe trading Holiday to the Suns for something similar, but as far as Davis they'd have to start with Ayton and Booker. I doubt they want to do that.

I would advocate against trading for multiple 2019 first round picks, unless with a possibility to move up. It's already hard to develop properly two rookies at the same time, 3 or more seems an impossible task.

I think having 2 first round picks every year for the next two years would be more valuable to have 3 first round picks in 2019. Not only because 2019 is supposed to be weaker but because I'm pretty sure you have higher chance to succeed and it's more sustainable if you have more diffuse influx of young talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Blattman View Post

I think having 2 first round picks every year for the next two years would be more valuable to have 3 first round picks in 2019.
    Agreed on that. That's why if Boston really want AD, they need to cough up that 2021 Memphis pick: getting all three of their mediocre picks this year isn't that huge of a deal. That's an advantage NY has, because they can supply a pick for basically every year until 2024.

...we get to go McDonalds
    The only picks on the table that carry value from viable trade partners:

LAL — #4 (a team with LeBron and AD will net picks in 20s)
    NY — #3 (Dallas found a stud in Doncic so those will at best be late lottery. A NY team with KD and AD will be drafting in 20s). What is interesting here is if KD doesn’t go to NY. By draft time, we won’t know. But we may not need to know since both will select Barrett or Morant
    Bos — future Grizzlies and Kings pick has some value. So does future BOS picks if AD is rental
    LAC — future Heat pick. So does future LAC picks if AD is rental

Quote Originally Posted by Primetime View Post
    The only picks on the table that carry value from viable trade partners:

LAL — #4 (a team with LeBron and AD will net picks in 20s)
    NY — #3 (Dallas found a stud in Doncic so those will at best be late lottery. A NY team with KD and AD will be drafting in 20s). What is interesting here is if KD doesn’t go to NY. By draft time, we won’t know. But we may not need to know since both will select Barrett or Morant
    Bos — future Grizzlies and Kings pick has some value. So does future BOS picks if AD is rental
    LAC — future Heat pick. So does future LAC picks if AD is rental
    Don't bet too highly on that Dallas team bieng good. And remember, even late lottery with the new rules can work out pretty well. Lakers jumped up to 4. We jumped up. It happens.

Also remember that the point of these long term picks is not to give us the #1 pick every year. I mean, it would be cool if they did, but nobody thinks that's going to happen. THe point is to have continual bites at the cherry when it comes to adding solid youth. That can be promising guys who fall in the draft, or it can be projects to be developed over time, or it can be ready made guys who have low ceilings. Those are always available somewhere between 10 and 20, so getting the #18 or #13 pick isn't a problem when you already have stars, which the AD trade + Zion should be netting us.

Quote Originally Posted by Blattman View Post
    I would advocate against trading for multiple 2019 first round picks, unless with a possibility to move up. It's already hard to develop properly two rookies at the same time, 3 or more seems an impossible task.

I think having 2 first round picks every year for the next two years would be more valuable to have 3 first round picks in 2019. Not only because 2019 is supposed to be weaker but because I'm pretty sure you have higher chance to succeed and it's more sustainable if you have more diffuse influx of young talent.
    I don't think that should be a concern. Getting top end talent should matter most. The key is to surround them with coaches and players that's more focused on developing the young guys. Most teams don't commit to the full rebuild.

Thread Information