Pelicans Report

Page 19 of 127 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 29 69 119 ... LastLast

Thread: AD trade scenarios...

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Grizzlies haven't put themselves in the trade conversation. They said they're taking Morant, and I believe that the reason for that is because they want Ja Morant. They're in a rebuild too, they don't attract free agents, and they just drafted a future big in Jaren Jackson. It makes sense they want a dynamic PG to go with him as Conley ages out.
    But why leak the info? So people start enquiring about Conley? Or it to be in play for AD

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    But why leak the info? So people start enquiring about Conley? Or it to be in play for AD
    Exactly, Memphis did not announce that to be nice to NY and others. They did it to let everyone know that if they want Morant, they have to pay well.

Who's to say the Grizzlies actually leaked that info instead of Morant's group? The motivation could be just as simple as people wanting to know ahead of the draft who's going where. The reports I read came from Woj saying basically "The Grizzlies have zeroed in on Morant with the 2nd pick". That to me doesn't scream agenda as much as it's simply Woj wanting to break the news as soon as he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Who's to say the Grizzlies actually leaked that info instead of Morant's group? The motivation could be just as simple as people wanting to know ahead of the draft who's going where. The reports I read came from Woj saying basically "The Grizzlies have zeroed in on Morant with the 2nd pick". That to me doesn't scream agenda as much as it's simply Woj wanting to break the news as soon as he can.
    The Grizzlies told everybody in Chicago they were taking Morant. It's likely this is to get other teams thinking about a draft day deal for Conley.

If a Conley deal happens, as promising as Ja is, it probably makes the Griz really bad next year as teams run by first year point guards tend to struggle. This improves the odds of Boston's Memphis pick turning into a great pick a little ways down the road.

They could keep Conley and pair him with Morant, but then, why overtly state they're taking Ja if that's the case?
    Last edited by Gant-; 05-22-2019 at 09:36 AM.

They didn't need to make people aware they are moving Conley, they listened to offers for him at he deadline and the only reason they didn't trade him then was because they didn't like the offers they heard.

Of course they are still willing to move him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Not sure if it was Woj or not, but a report I read was that Memphis was making it known to those in Chicago. Seems like the indication was that it was Memphis sending out the info.

This was the earliest tweet I could find on it, came from Woj after the draft.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1...181625346?s=19

I suppose it could be looked at from either way, he states it like a matter of fact. It certainly doesn't seem like he has any hint they are doing this to try and increase the return in some type of trade for Ja.

I think we could get Ja if we trade with the Knicks for the 3rd, and swap the 3 for the 2 (and include a 2010 1st rounder) to move up for Ja. We also can make a swap for the 4 if we deal with the Lakers. Future would be way too bright if we come out of this with Zion, Ja, and the young players that we'd get in the trade. Add in the extra picks that we'd get to use as assets.

And Memphis could get Garland at 3 or 4.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    I think we could get Ja if we trade with the Knicks for the 3rd, and swap the 3 for the 2 (and include a 2010 1st rounder) to move up for Ja. We also can make a swap for the 4 if we deal with the Lakers. Future would be way too bright if we come out of this with Zion, Ja, and the young players that we'd get in the trade. Add in the extra picks that we'd get to use as assets.

And Memphis could get Garland at 3 or 4.
    Why would they do that? Why would they trade down to take a less promising player at the PG position, when they could just keep their own pick and get the better prospect at the same position? It would literally just downgrading for little purpose other than to satisfy us.
    Basketball.

Why would they do that? Why would they trade down to take a less promising player at the PG position, when they could just keep their own pick and get the better prospect at the same position? It would literally just downgrading for little purpose other than to satisfy us.
    he said include a first rounder, so i think he is saying trade the #3 pick and a 1st rounder next year for the 2nd overall pick this year

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    he said include a first rounder, so i think he is saying trade the #3 pick and a 1st rounder next year for the 2nd overall pick this year
    Aside from the fact that we desperately need to get out of the mindset of just chucking first round picks at things, I still don't think that would be something Memphis would be interested in. The entire point of the draft is to get a spot to pick a player you want on your team as they develop. If they're sat in front of that, guaranteed, in Ja Morant, why take a downgrade in the hopes that next year you'll get the chance to be in the position you're already in right now?

Aside from the fact that we desperately need to get out of the mindset of just chucking first round picks at things, I still don't think that would be something Memphis would be interested in. The entire point of the draft is to get a spot to pick a player you want on your team as they develop. If they're sat in front of that, guaranteed, in Ja Morant, why take a downgrade in the hopes that next year you'll get the chance to be in the position you're already in right now?
    wasn't saying i agreed with him, or that i dont. I guess it just matters how much a team values Morant. You have Barrett as your #2 player in the draft right?

wasn't saying i agreed with him, or that i dont. I guess it just matters how much a team values Morant. You have Barrett as your #2 player in the draft right?
    Yeah, personally.

What about a deal where we tell the Knicks they can have AD, but we want the #3 pick which they have, the #5 pick the Cavs have, and Mitchell Robinson. They trade knox and DSJ and a future pick for the #5 to cleveland, and we draft Barrett at 3 and either Reddish, Culver or Hunter at 5.

Pels get #3 pick, #5 pick, Mitchell Robinson, and the knicks 1st next year

This a possibility?

Jrue
    Barrett
    Reddish
    Zion
    Mitchell

This would give us Jrue who is an allstar in my book, 3 extremely promising young players to bring up, and a defensive anchor at center
    Last edited by HornetGuru; 05-22-2019 at 01:09 PM.

Yeah, personally.
    not disagreeing, the more I watch Barrett the more I like him, I thought he was just a scorer, but he is sometimes quite the playmaker, i've seen him take people off the dribble and create for others, could be DeMar Derozan with a 3 ball.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it (that Ja is the better prospect). But Garland was the top PG heading into the season, and his injury along wit Morant's rise pushed Garland down to a whopping #2 prospect. Maybe... juuuust maybe... the Grizz feel Garland is the better prospect.

Maybe if the Grizz felt both Ja and Garland are equal in their eyes, if they can get more assets just to move down and still take THEIR guy... why is that such a terrible idea?

You're gonna get extra picks from whoever gets AD, so giving up a 1 isn't al that bad of a move if you REALLY want to move up.

But at the end of the day I don't think it'll happen, but I was just saying that if we really wanted Ja there's a way to get him.... IF Memphis would oblige.

What about a deal where we tell the Knicks they can have AD, but we want the #3 pick which they have, the #5 pick the Cavs have, and Mitchell Robinson. They trade knox and DSJ and a future pick for the #5 to cleveland, and we draft Barrett at 3 and either Reddish, Culver or Hunter at 5.

Pels get #3 pick, #5 pick, Mitchell Robinson, and the knicks 1st next year

This a possibility?

Jrue
    Barrett
    Reddish
    Zion
    Mitchell

This would give us Jrue who is an allstar in my book, 3 extremely promising young players to bring up, and a defensive anchor at center
    Not even close to a possibility, Cleveland would laugh if you called with that offer

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    You're gonna get extra picks from whoever gets AD, so giving up a 1 isn't al that bad of a move if you REALLY want to move up.

But at the end of the day I don't think it'll happen, but I was just saying that if we really wanted Ja there's a way to get him.... IF Memphis would oblige.
    It would take quite a bit to get Memphis to move off of Ja..

Something like:
    DSJ
    Future 1st

Or

#4, Ball, Kuzma, future 1st for Conley and #2 (Conley to LAL in this one)

Quote Originally Posted by soggymoss View Post
    Not even close to a possibility, Cleveland would laugh if you called with that offer
    Well I wonder if they offered DSJ, Knox, Mitchell Robinson and the Dallas 1st next year, I bet they would listen then. We would then have to run with Okafor at center or sign a free agent one, but i have no idea if any decent ones are available.

Why can't we just go after Kyrie Irving in FA?

Quote Originally Posted by WhyHornetsWhy View Post
    Cause we have $15m in cap space.

Quote Originally Posted by soggymoss View Post
    It would take quite a bit to get Memphis to move off of Ja..

Something like:
    DSJ
    Future 1st

Or

#4, Ball, Kuzma, future 1st for Conley and #2 (Conley to LAL in this one)
    Maybe Dallas screwed the Hawks by only giving up a top 5 protected 1 (this year's) to move up 2 spots, so I'm basing my idea on that trade. But man I'm more excited about the haul we're getting for AD than I am knowing that we'll get Zion.

Quote Originally Posted by WhyHornetsWhy View Post
    Landon made a comment that pretty much said we're gonna build with young talent and not fish for the big free agents. I wouldn't go after Kyrie anyway but I like what he said about building for the future.

Cause we have $15m in cap space.
    A few trades and moves here and there would free up more space, though. Randel opting out and such. Skip said we'd have around 25-30M.

Thread Information