Pelicans Report

Page 17 of 127 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 27 67 117 ... LastLast

Thread: AD trade scenarios...

I'm not sure the prognosis on Ingram is as dire as it's made out to be

https://www.latimes.com/sports/laker...316-story.html

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I don't know how you can warn about atrocious defense and health issues and then plausibly mention Ingram as an alternative.
    All signs point to Ingram being fine. He has progressed every season since he came in the league, Kuzma regressed last season. Ingram is better on D than Kuzma.

Ingram is the better player now, and has alot more room to grow, Kuzma is who he will be throughout his career

Quote Originally Posted by soggymoss View Post
    All signs point to Ingram being fine. He has progressed every season since he came in the league, Kuzma regressed last season. Ingram is better on D than Kuzma.

Ingram is the better player now, and has alot more room to grow, Kuzma is who he will be throughout his career
    Ingram regressed last season in 3pt %age, FT%, rebounds per game, assists per game, steals per game, blocks per game, net rating, PER, WS/48, total winshares, BPM, and VORP. What do you mean he's ''progressed every season since he came into the league''? You can only really say that if you mean PPG only.
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soggymoss View Post
    No, Jrue is not traded in ANY AD trade scenario, unless he asks to be traded..

You dont trade away a top 20 player that wants to be here, that would be like Portland trading Lilliard just for the hell of it
    Jrue's window is much shorter than Zion's and Ja's. This team will NOT be a contender if you go completely young. For Jrue's sake, you trade him to a team that can win now with him as the missing piece.
    So, yes, you do trade away a Top 20 player, when he doesnt fit the timeline. He would probably ask for a trade if the Pels went uber young.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Jrue's window is much shorter than Zion's and Ja's. This team will NOT be a contender if you go completely young. For Jrue's sake, you trade him to a team that can win now with him as the missing piece.
    So, yes, you do trade away a Top 20 player, when he doesnt fit the timeline. He would probably ask for a trade if the Pels went uber young.
    Well surely that's the point? You ask him. If he says he's in win-only mode, and would rather go elsewhere and win, then you trade him. If he says he's happy to stay as that vet mentor, then you keep him.

Well surely that's the point? You ask him. If he says he's in win-only mode, and would rather go elsewhere and win, then you trade him. If he says he's happy to stay as that vet mentor, then you keep him.
    Not quite sure what other mode a 28yr old all star would be in?

Not quite sure what other mode a 28yr old all star would be in?
    In ''I love this franchise and this city, and I'd love to play with Zion and be his mentor and usher in a new era of generational success'' mode?

Exactly.

Griffin has made it exceptionally clear that his priority is building "generational success", and he's also made it clear in interviews that building rush-job championship teams like in Cleveland is NOT a path towards that sustainable future.

If AD demands you throw the next ten years of the franchise into the toilet for the sake of a WCF run, then nah, he can just go. Either he's all in, or he's all out, and that counts for the future.

Sounds like Langdon agrees with me there.

In ''I love this franchise and this city, and I'd love to play with Zion and be his mentor and usher in a new era of generational success'' mode?
    Yeah, I dont think that entails a complete youth movement. If you are a 28yr old all star, the idea is to win. He's 4 yrs away from the other side of the hill.
    How does mentoring ZION equate to " Man, im all in on a youth movement, even it means I will never win a cotton picking thing. He can mentor ZION and get Taum, Brown and a 25 mill per FA and be in the playoffs expediently.
    Last edited by Tinman; 05-21-2019 at 11:30 AM.

Yeah, I dont think that entails a complete youth movement. If you are a 28yr old all star, the idea is to win. He's 4 yrs away from the other side of the hill.
    Only person who really knows would be Jrue himself. Gotta ask him. If you're right, then he agrees and we trade him, but only he can say.

Supposedly Brooklyn is gonna try to get AD. Wonder if he will sign there? They want to add him and Kyrie according to Chris Broussard

Brooklyn: AD

Pelicans: sign & trade De’Angelo Russell, Caris LeVert, Jarrett Allen, Joe Harris, and picks 17 & 27.

C: Allen, Okafor
    PF: Zion
    SF: LeVert, Harris
    SG: Jrue
    PG: Russell

Not sure we could get all that, but I would try. Stinks that LeVert & Harris only have 1 year left on their deals. I think I would do that deal if we could resign either LeVert or Harris on a decent extension. I like Russell a lot. Allen looks like a good starting center. Have them pick who we want at 17 & 27 since free agency is after the draft. Or trade up for a player we want lol. Or can you do a sign & trade at anytime? I don’t know how that works lol

I like this over the Lakers deal since we get a bonafide starting center. Too bad he only has 2 years remaining as well. Russell is an All Star that will just be hitting his prime in this contract and allow Jrue to stay at the 2. LeVert & Harris are two damn good wings. We would add some shooting for sure. We would have to decide which one we would want to extend though cause doubt we could keep them both. Then if we get one or both those picks we either get 1 or 2 more rookies to grow with Zion. Let’s make this happen!!
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 05-21-2019 at 12:54 PM.

Window is shorter? He got a solid 6 years. He can transition to be Andre down the line. You never want to completely remove your top Vet core. They are there to instill a culture and teach the youth.

An entire "youth movement" is unlikely and a bit preposterous. It is NOT going to happen. We have Jrue for a while. I could see him going to a contender in a couple of seasons but this isn't 2k. You don't just throw a bunch of players together and they perform. You have to build a culture and chemistry. Jrue is absolutely the best person for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Window is shorter? He got a solid 6 years. He can transition to be Andre down the line. You never want to completely remove your top Vet core. They are there to instill a culture and teach the youth.
    No, a competitve 28yr old all-star (29 in June). that has never sniffed being a contender is NOT on a team to instill a culture. He is there to win.
    You are taking the position of the organization & it is quite myopic. Jrue will have Zero problem instilling a culture, but thats not his overarching goal. His goal is to WIN !
    Im not aware of 33-34-35 being solid years.
    Last edited by Tinman; 05-21-2019 at 01:24 PM.

True, but Boston is not the only other possible team involved. There are a dozen teams that we can make deals with before July 1st. & if we wait until July 1st, I cant imagine L.A.' best deal being better than Boston's worst deal. I cant see Griffin verbally locking himself into that deal.
    I am not saying that the Lakers deal is the best (I do not think it is), I am just saying that they can trade this year's pick and the 2020 the way the deal is going to have to be structured (any team can).

No, a competitve 28yr old all-star (29 in June). that has never sniffed being a contender is NOT on a team to instill a culture. He is there to win.
    You are taking the position of the organization & it is quite myopic. Jrue will have Zero problem instilling a culture, but thats not his overarching goal. His goal is to WIN !
    Im not aware of 33-34-35 being solid years.
    THIS is why we need some usable vets as well. Have already posted my Boston option twice.
    Last edited by Silver Nail; 05-21-2019 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I am not saying that the Lakers deal is the best (I do not think it is), I am just saying that they can trade this year's pick and the 2020 the way the deal is going to have to be structured (any team can).
    What I'm saying is - Lakers can NOT package 19 & 20 1st Rd picks before the draft .
    If we don't want a 2020 pick, we can make a deal w/ any team prior to the draft if the monies can equal.

If we are trying to compete for a mid playoff seed immediately, then I'm all in w/ Jrue. If not, and we go full blown youth movement (which I'm fine with), then for both the Pels & Jrues sake -you trade Jrue.
    Last edited by Tinman; 05-21-2019 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    THIS is why we need some usable vets as well. Have already posted my Boston option twice.
    Amen

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    Supposedly Brooklyn is gonna try to get AD. Wonder if he will sign there? They want to add him and Kyrie according to Chris Broussard

Brooklyn: AD

Pelicans: sign & trade De’Angelo Russell, Caris LeVert, Jarrett Allen, Joe Harris, and picks 17 & 27.

C: Allen, Okafor
    PF: Zion
    SF: LeVert, Harris
    SG: Jrue
    PG: Russell

Not sure we could get all that, but I would try. Stinks that LeVert & Harris only have 1 year left on their deals. I think I would do that deal if we could resign either LeVert or Harris on a decent extension. I like Russell a lot. Allen looks like a good starting center. Have them pick who we want at 17 & 27 since free agency is after the draft. Or trade up for a player we want lol. Or can you do a sign & trade at anytime? I don’t know how that works lol

I like this over the Lakers deal since we get a bonafide starting center. Too bad he only has 2 years remaining as well. Russell is an All Star that will just be hitting his prime in this contract and allow Jrue to stay at the 2. LeVert & Harris are two damn good wings. We would add some shooting for sure. We would have to decide which one we would want to extend though cause doubt we could keep them both. Then if we get one or both those picks we either get 1 or 2 more rookies to grow with Zion. Let’s make this happen!!
    Not realistic as we cannot negotiate with Russell prior to the draft. He could not agree to a contract before then.

What I'm saying is - Lakers can NOT package 19 & 20 1st Rd picks before the draft .
    If we don't want a 2020 pick, we can make a deal w/ any team prior to the draft if the monies can equal.
    Any trade will be agreed to before the draft, but not executed until the new league year. Therefore, they can effectively package both as the official trade would be the "draft rights" of the 2019 pick (which would have been made based on the Pelicans' wishes) and the 2020 pick. Once the 2019 pick is made, they can trade the 2020 pick.

Ingram regressed last season in 3pt %age, FT%, rebounds per game, assists per game, steals per game, blocks per game, net rating, PER, WS/48, total winshares, BPM, and VORP. What do you mean he's ''progressed every season since he came into the league''? You can only really say that if you mean PPG only.
    His FG% increased, his 3 pt decreased some and everything else is pretty much the same. His defense improved, (blocks and steals are not all defense is about), and when Lebron went down and he was allowed to go back into his role he is comfortable in, he went on an absolute tear..

4 team deal between Nola, Memphis, Chicago, and LA.

Memphis:
    LA #4 pick
    Chi #7 pick

Chicago:
    Lonzo

LAL:
    Anthony Davis
    Kris Dunn

NOP:
    MEM #2 pick
    Brandon Ingram
    Josh Hart
    Kuzma

NOP obviously uses the Memphis pick on Ja Morant.

Then, assuming Al Horford opts in, offer Solomon Hill and Kuzma to the Celtics for Al Horford. Celtics would most likely do this in order to free up space for another star, and this allows the Pels to put a good center next to Zion for a year while he grows. I do not think Kuzma is a great fit, but he's still a decent young asset from LA.

This would leave us at approximately 97 million in cap, with the cap set at 109 million for next season. We could most likely unload Etwaun Moore and a few other pieces as well if we wanted to make a run at a restricted free agent such as Malcom Brogdon.

A starting five next year of Ja-Jrue-Ingram-Zion-Horford would be extremely fun to watch on both ends of the floor and also an incredibly hungry one that fits the changes that have been made throughout the organization.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    4 team deal between Nola, Memphis, Chicago, and LA.

Memphis:
    LA #4 pick
    Chi #7 pick

Chicago:
    Lonzo

LAL:
    Anthony Davis
    Kris Dunn

NOP:
    MEM #2 pick
    Brandon Ingram
    Josh Hart
    Kuzma

NOP obviously uses the Memphis pick on Ja Morant.

Then, assuming Al Horford opts in, offer Solomon Hill and Kuzma to the Celtics for Al Horford. Celtics would most likely do this in order to free up space for another star, and this allows the Pels to put a good center next to Zion for a year while he grows. I do not think Kuzma is a great fit, but he's still a decent young asset from LA.

This would leave us at approximately 97 million in cap, with the cap set at 109 million for next season. We could most likely unload Etwaun Moore and a few other pieces as well if we wanted to make a run at a restricted free agent such as Malcom Brogdon.

A starting five next year of Ja-Jrue-Ingram-Zion-Horford would be extremely fun to watch on both ends of the floor and also an incredibly hungry one that fits the changes that have been made throughout the organization.
    I think you may have some salary problems.

Here's a very detailed article by Ryan Bernardoni about how a trade would work within the cap. This is specifically about a potential deal between Boston and New Orleans, but some of the principles apply to other suitors as well. There's a chance wherever AD goes, that the deal might not be official until a while later a la the Wiggins/Love trade, a swap David Griffin was involved in.

https://www.bostonsportsjournal.com/...y-davis-trade/

Thread Information