Pelicans Report

Page 12 of 127 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 62 112 ... LastLast

Thread: AD trade scenarios...

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    I don’t think you honestly believe we will win a title in that window. You are just being very impatient like our last GM that screwed us over.
    So then why keep Holiday around? Why pick up Beal in a sign and trade if that’s not in our window. If Zion and RJ are anywhere near expectation then yes having Beal would absolutely put us as serious contenders. Give me Jrue and Beal over Lillard and CJ. You are being completely unrealistic if you think we are gonna hold on to every you player along with the picks. Not going to happen. I will guarantee we keep a couple of players while moving the other assets to acquire a star caliber player. Having all of those young guys would hurt the development of our other guys that are the future. Then you factor in how badly some of them fit and it makes no sense to keep all of them because they are young and we have them under contract. Outside of Jrue near the entire core of our team is going to be young guys without bringing on 5 more. Adding Beal to Jrue/Zion/RJ is not being impatient but actually trying to win and is no different then trying to keep AD around. Big difference is we are adding quality young talent and acquiring Beal as a replacement for AD. Unless Zion and RJ are complete flops that team can gain valuable playoff experience now while being serious contenders in a year or 2.

Sorry but the Clippers trade is absolutely terrible especially when compared to what other teams can offer. Shai, Gallinari, and a couple of mid to late 1st round picks would go down as one of the worst trades for a superstar in NBA history. When putting it up next to the other deals we will be getting for AD it isn’t even in the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    So then why keep Holiday around? Why pick up Beal in a sign and trade if that’s not in our window. If Zion and RJ are anywhere near expectation then yes having Beal would absolutely put us as serious contenders. Give me Jrue and Beal over Lillard and CJ. You are being completely unrealistic if you think we are gonna hold on to every you player along with the picks. Not going to happen. I will guarantee we keep a couple of players while moving the other assets to acquire a star caliber player. Having all of those young guys would hurt the development of our other guys that are the future. Then you factor in how badly some of them fit and it makes no sense to keep all of them because they are young and we have them under contract. Outside of Jrue near the entire core of our team is going to be young guys without bringing on 5 more. Adding Beal to Jrue/Zion/RJ is not being impatient but actually trying to win and is no different then trying to keep AD around. Big difference is we are adding quality young talent and acquiring Beal as a replacement for AD. Unless Zion and RJ are complete flops that team can gain valuable playoff experience now while being serious contenders in a year or 2.
    Personally not a fan of rushing the rebuild. If we have a roster that could actually come close to contending, we’d make a similar deal. We don’t, so we won’t

Unless Zion is literally Lebron 2.0

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Sorry but the Clippers trade is absolutely terrible especially when compared to what other teams can offer. Shai, Gallinari, and a couple of mid to late 1st round picks would go down as one of the worst trades for a superstar in NBA history. When putting it up next to the other deals we will be getting for AD it isn’t even in the discussion.
    Shai is going to be a multiple all star. Galinari gives us elite shooting. Add Harrell is you got great defense rebounding and toughness.

I think Shai is better than any player mentioned in these other trades. This is where we disagree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a very good chance Holiday would not be happy playing for a team that was so young for an extended period as in the specific Knick trade suggested above. But I doubt that will be the team. They'll be looking to compete at a higher level sooner than that group could.

Before he was hired Griffin said if he was running the show and trading AD, he would want back at least one young player with star potential, an elite role player, and draft picks for AD. The veteran "elite role player" is included to avoid the super young team that won't win enough right away.

Last edited by Gant-; 05-18-2019 at 03:34 PM.

Is it true the SUNS would give up the 7th pick for Lonzo Ball? If that’s true then the LAKERS would be our best trade partner. Think about it.

PELS get: the 4th pick, 7th pick, Kuzma, Ingram.

SUNS: Lonzo Ball

LAKERS: AD

PELS draft Darius Garland with 4th pick
    and best player available with 7th pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gant- View Post
    There is a very good chance Holiday would not be happy playing for a team that was so young for an extended period as in the specific Knick trade suggested above. But I doubt that will be the team. They'll be looking to compete at a higher level sooner than that group could.

Before he was hired Griffin said if he was running the show and trading AD, he would want back at least one young player with star potential, an elite role player, and draft picks for AD. The veteran "elite role player" is included to avoid the super young team that won't win enough right away.

If that is the case, then we are probably going with the Boston deal. If we do that, we may as well try to bring in a center before Tatum and Brown enter free agency.

Smart/jrue
    Jrue/Brown
    Tatum/Miller/Williams
    Zion/Wood
    Center/Jahlil

How we acquire the center is up to Griffin really.

I still think we end up going Knicks.

Barrett, Knox, Mitchel Robinson plus 1 or 2 future first round picks would be a killer trade.

My biggest question is how would Barrett do in Gentry’s offense. Do you see him being a starter? Will he hog the ball and can he develop a reliable shot? Will he be a star???

I think people underestimate Knox’s potential. If his game develops could he be a star? I think he will be an above average starter at SF.

Mitchell Robinson 7’1” center looks damn good. On a great contract and others mention he is similar to Tyson Chandler. I have to agree. He’s only going to get better.

If NYK threw in Dennis Smith Jr I would pull the trigger.

My biggest concern is how will the pelicans create spacing needed to stretch defenses out for Lord Zion to destroy the rim? We need shooting. Perhaps we go after shooters in free agency? Do we resign Randle? I think I’d resign Randle and Elfrid and try to get PACERS FA SF Bogdonovich for elite shooting.

Don’t know enough about Robinson since I haven’t watched too many Knick games lol. I know Smith from Dallas. Whoops was answering a question but didn’t embed it right...

I just think we get a better group of players with the Lakers. Now if the Knicks had the second pick and we could get Ja than I’d love that move. I’m not totally sold on RJ Barrett. I like his game, but his shot isn’t the best and he can be somewhat an inefficient player on offense. I like Hunter a tad more cause of his defense. Jrue, Zion, & Hunter would be one helluva a defensive unit. If we take the Knicks deal I would hope we can add a decent free agent. I wish DeAngelo Russell was unrestricted. If we don’t bring in a decent free agent than we might as well move Jrue if we take the Knicks deal.

C: Robinson, Okafor
    PF: Zion,
    SF: RJ, Knox
    SG: Jrue, Moore
    PG: Russell, Smith

That would be a sick squad.

I’m hoping we can add a Carsen Edwards in the 2nd round. Have our version of Lou Williams off the bench. I’ve seen him mocked from late first to past our 2nd. If not him a power forward like Grant Williams would be nice. Either way we should get a decent player in the 2nd. Taco Fall?!? LOL

Watch Griffin talk AD into staying till the trade deadline to see if he wants to stay with Zion. That’s gonna stink if we lose out on Barrett or Hunter, but maybe he decides to stay after we have a great 1st half the year with him hitting it off with Zion.
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 05-18-2019 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    And why would we want Terry Rozier for $10m a year? How is that a selling point? I'd rather resign Elfrid Payton (for presumably cheaper as well).
    Since a deal is likely to be agreed upon before the draft, Rozier will not be a part of it. He cannot (and won't) agree to a deal with the Pelicans before free agency begins.

Alot depends on how Griffin and his staff feel about Barrett. If they love him, a Knicks deal has a real chance. Alternatively, if they do not love him, but love Morant, a Knicks deal would also stand a chance if Memphis liked Knox or a future #1 from NY to drop one spot.

I can understand wanting AD to stay, and hoping Griffin can talk him into signing the supermax. It's not my preferred way forward, but I can totally understand the arguments for it.

I can understanding wanting AD traded, to a bunch of teams, to set up the future around Zion with Jrue as mentor. That's what I prefer, and there are several different setups for several different teams that I at least appreciate even if I don't like.

What I absolutely cannot understand, even a little bit, is the idea of AD not committing long term, not signing the extension, and still keeping him in the hopes that he changes his mind in December or something. That's boggling to me. It's absurd. How is that ''either you're 100% in, or you're 100% out''?
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I can understand wanting AD to stay, and hoping Griffin can talk him into signing the supermax. It's not my preferred way forward, but I can totally understand the arguments for it.

I can understanding wanting AD traded, to a bunch of teams, to set up the future around Zion with Jrue as mentor. That's what I prefer, and there are several different setups for several different teams that I at least appreciate even if I don't like.

What I absolutely cannot understand, even a little bit, is the idea of AD not committing long term, not signing the extension, and still keeping him in the hopes that he changes his mind in December or something. That's boggling to me. It's absurd. How is that ''either you're 100% in, or you're 100% out''?
    or he could get ad to opt into his player option give us a year to prove our selves and if he still wants to be traded them we do it next off season makes sense for both parties

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    or he could get ad to opt into his player option give us a year to prove our selves and if he still wants to be traded them we do it next off season makes sense for both parties

Except that buys into this concept of ''give us a year to prove ourselves''. I'm not auditioning for a man who has spent seven years on this team. We made the playoffs last year, and swept the 3rd seed. We very well could have made the playoffs this year if AD hadn't quit on us halfway through the year, even despite the injuries. I agree that the changes his trade request forced us to make are for the best, like replacing Demps with Griffin, but even before that happened the team was on an undeniable upwards trajectory. We were improving. He cost us this year's playoff run.

If I'm David Griffin, and I'm putting two hundred and forty MILLION dollars on the table for him, next to Jrue Holiday and Zion Williamson, then he can either take it or leave it, but I'm not getting into this absurd game of trying to 'prove' ourselves to him. He's either in on the future, or he's out.

Except that buys into this concept of ''give us a year to prove ourselves''. I'm not auditioning for a man who has spent seven years on this team. We made the playoffs last year, and swept the 3rd seed. We very well could have made the playoffs this year if AD hadn't quit on us halfway through the year, even despite the injuries. I agree that the changes his trade request forced us to make are for the best, like replacing Demps with Griffin, but even before that happened the team was on an undeniable upwards trajectory. We were improving. He cost us this year's playoff run.

If I'm David Griffin, and I'm putting two hundred and forty MILLION dollars on the table for him, next to Jrue Holiday and Zion Williamson, then he can either take it or leave it, but I'm not getting into this absurd game of trying to 'prove' ourselves to him. He's either in on the future, or he's out.
    that's jist being emotional about the whole thing I mean yeah screw him for what he did and how he did it but if he buys in after this year and we also have a good one this year we have zion, jrue and ad long term are you kidding that's close to a championship team with a few moves here and there especially if zion lives up to the hype plus we don't need to ad being the alpha we jrue and zion for that

that's jist being emotional about the whole thing I mean yeah screw him for what he did and how he did it but if he buys in after this year and we also have a good one this year we have zion, jrue and ad long term are you kidding that's close to a championship team with a few moves here and there especially if zion lives up to the hype plus we don't need to ad being the alpha we jrue and zion for that

Call it being emotional if you like, who cares? If I was really being emotional, then I'd just say screw him, I don't want him back whatsoever whether he wants to stay or not. The only reason I'm understanding of Griffin wanting him back is because I'm ignoring that emotional response, and thinking about the obvious on-court benefits of keeping him.

But you have to have a game plan. You have to set out a long term vision, and go with it. If AD stays, then he's part of that vision. If he leaves, then he isn't. If he says ''uhhh I might stay kinda just gotta pay me for another year and then maybe I'll decide after that'', then you can't have a real vision because you have no idea what you're working with. You have to wait for this dude, who has shown himself to be pretty damn immature, to make up his mind before you can start building towards a real future. I'm not wasting another year of Jrue, Zion's rookie year, and our ability to plan long term (we'll be losing assets as the year passes: Moore's contract will expire, Solo's contract will expire, etc) to satiate Mr. Can't Dress Himself's sense of ego. If he's in, great. If he's out, great. But we're not putting the franchise on hold for a year while he makes up his mind.

Call it being emotional if you like, who cares? If I was really being emotional, then I'd just say screw him, I don't want him back whatsoever whether he wants to stay or not. The only reason I'm understanding of Griffin wanting him back is because I'm ignoring that emotional response, and thinking about the obvious on-court benefits of keeping him.

But you have to have a game plan. You have to set out a long term vision, and go with it. If AD stays, then he's part of that vision. If he leaves, then he isn't. If he says ''uhhh I might stay kinda just gotta pay me for another year and then maybe I'll decide after that'', then you can't have a real vision because you have no idea what you're working with. You have to wait for this dude, who has shown himself to be pretty damn immature, to make up his mind before you can start building towards a real future. I'm not wasting another year of Jrue, Zion's rookie year, and our ability to plan long term (we'll be losing assets as the year passes: Moore's contract will expire, Solo's contract will expire, etc) to satiate Mr. Can't Dress Himself's sense of ego. If he's in, great. If he's out, great. But we're not putting the franchise on hold for a year while he makes up his mind.
    geezus man calm your tits it's not that serious. I called it an emotional response bc ppl are pissed at him not you so relax and how is it not a vision of the future? you can have more than 1 vision and that can include ad and another that doesn't. if there's a way to keep a top 5 player on your team yeah you do it even if you have to prove it to him we can be good bc the same deals that we have bow will be there next year hell may be even better

geezus man calm your tits it's not that serious. I called it an emotional response bc ppl are pissed at him not you so relax and how is it not a vision of the future? you can have more than 1 vision and that can include ad and another that doesn't. if there's a way to keep a top 5 player on your team yeah you do it even if you have to prove it to him we can be good bc the same deals that we have bow will be there next year hell may be even better

You can't make a firm plan for the future if you don't even know what you're doing with a guy who's making more than $25m a year. If AD wants out, we can build a future path around that. If he wants to stay, we can build a future path around that. In either case, you get on that path ASAP and start walking it.

If AD says 'oh hey guys, how about you just pay me $25m while I make up my mind', then you can make some plans but you can't start on either path properly because you don't know which road you're going to be forced to take. Imagine you start making preliminary moves for AD to stay, and then in a year he says ''thanks for the cash, but I still want to leave''. Then you have to go into scramble mode, walk back the plans you were working on, and start again. That's a waste of effort and resources, and most importantly: a waste of time.

We have Zion coming in this summer. The moment he's on the team, the way I see it, the clock has started. If we fail him like we failed AD, then he's going to want out too after a while. It's way better to start on that road to success now, before he plays a single game for us, so that when he arrives for his rookie year we actually know where we're going. Way better than him arriving and finding out that his rookie year is an unfocused wash, where we're paralysed until AD makes his mind up. Then you run the risk of a top 5 player leaving halfway through Zion's rookie season. That's not a great start. Much better to have the plan decided this summer, know what we're working with, and make Zion's rookie year a success.

You can't make a firm plan for the future if you don't even know what you're doing with a guy who's making more than $25m a year. If AD wants out, we can build a future path around that. If he wants to stay, we can build a future path around that. In either case, you get on that path ASAP and start walking it.

If AD says 'oh hey guys, how about you just pay me $25m while I make up my mind', then you can make some plans but you can't start on either path properly because you don't know which road you're going to be forced to take. Imagine you start making preliminary moves for AD to stay, and then in a year he says ''thanks for the cash, but I still want to leave''. Then you have to go into scramble mode, walk back the plans you were working on, and start again. That's a waste of effort and resources, and most importantly: a waste of time.

We have Zion coming in this summer. The moment he's on the team, the way I see it, the clock has started. If we fail him like we failed AD, then he's going to want out too after a while. It's way better to start on that road to success now, before he plays a single game for us, so that when he arrives for his rookie year we actually know where we're going. Way better than him arriving and finding out that his rookie year is an unfocused wash, where we're paralysed until AD makes his mind up. Then you run the risk of a top 5 player leaving halfway through Zion's rookie season. That's not a great start. Much better to have the plan decided this summer, know what we're working with, and make Zion's rookie year a success.
    except if Griffen is as smart as everyone says he is the plan he has or the players we get will work with or with out ad and thats how you'd do it I mean who's to say we can't sign a jimmy butler or a kemba walker this year to pair with those 3? and now even of ad leaves you still have really good pieces

except if Griffen is as smart as everyone says he is the plan he has or the players we get will work with or with out ad and thats how you'd do it I mean who's to say we can't sign a jimmy butler or a kemba walker this year to pair with those 3? and now even of ad leaves you still have really good pieces

I mean, the salary cap says we can't sign Jimmy Butler or Kemba Walker this year. Unless you think either of them is taking less than $19m.

I’m warming up to the Knicks. RJ Barrett may have the most star potential out of all the players listed in trade discussions. Jayson Tatum has shown to be a good player, but might miss that swag factor RJ possesses. Him and Zion would absolutely love to be able to play together in the league one would think. They seemed to really enjoy each other’s company and became really good friends at Duke.

RJ Barrett 6’7” 210 SG/SF - he can play either the 2 or 3. Really good driving to the basket and almost unstoppable when he’s on his way to the hoop. He’s a lefty like Harden. I like De’Andre Hunter cause of his defense, but he can’t hold RJ’s jock when it comes to offensive ability. He was seen as the top recruit coming out of high school over Zion. He averaged more points per game than Zion. He’s got an inconsistent shot, but James Harden wasn’t known as a great shooter coming into the league either.

Dennis Smith Jr. 6’3” 195 PG - A decent point guard, but may be more combo guard than true point guard. But that’s what most point guards are in today’s game. Steph Curry isn’t a true point guard. He averages 14 and 5 assists. He’s still young at only 21, so he can get better as well. Glad they got him from Dallas cause they wouldn’t have much of anything to offer us if not. He would have to be in the deal for me to take it.

Kevin Knox 6’9” 215 SF - extremely athletic wing that can jump out the gym. He’s got some potential if he can put it together. We have needed a small forward for years and this guy has the athleticism like Aminu. Let’s just hope he can reach his potential with us and not after he leaves. Great size for a small forward as well. Hope we could coach him up to be a lockdown defender. Potential to be a great two way player.

Mitchell Robinson 7’1” 240 C - has the size you want at center being over 7 foot. He put up 7.3 points, 6.4 boards, and 2.4 blocks per game only playing a 20.6 minute average. He’s the only decent center to be mentioned in any serious AD trade scenarios. I was thinking of adding a center via free agency, but adding Robinson with Okafor could be a good enough combo going forward.

Allonzo Trier 6’5” 200 SG - I hope we try to get Trier as well. He was a pleasant surprise last year as an undrafted rookie to play a ton of minutes. He averaged 10.3 points per game, so he could be a good bench piece as well. I would rather picks over him, but if we can add him why not?

I still think Ingram, Kuzma, Ball, & Hunter would be a better group. RJ and Knox have potential to be special. Hopefully RJ can be a star in this league. He got a the size and athleticism already at such a young age. Hopefully Knox can become an elite defender that can slash to the hoop for easy baskets. Then if he eventually develops a jump shot, watch out. Smith is a legit starting point guard. I’d love to bring in a big time free agent point though and have him coming off the bench. Robinson has potential to be starting center as well. A battle between him and Okafor for the starting spot would be nice to see. Trier would be a nice throw in player that could let us get rid of Moore. He wouldn’t make or break the deal by any means.

Then if we can get multiple 1st round picks to go with this drafts that would be great. We could use those to trade for some good players on crap teams and draft us some young bench players as well. Who knows we might get lucky in the lottery again and have us a 76ers type team. Zion is our Embiid. RJ could be our Ben Simmons. But we don’t screw up our next one like they did with Fultz.

Yes I’m warming up to the Knicks! Plus I rather not see AD playing with LeBron in LA of all places. I rather see him in the east making the Knicks legitimate again.
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 05-18-2019 at 06:39 PM.

NOT IN FAVOR OF ALL YOUNG PLAYERS AND COMPLETE REBUILD, HOW ABOUT THIS?

BOSTON OUT- to CLIPPERS picks nbr 14 this year, PLUS HARFORD, to PELS smart,brown and tatum picks nbr 20 this year and MEMPHIS first next year total salary 57 mil
    BOSTON IN- from nola AD, HILL and MOORE total salary 48.5 mil
    BOSTON STILL HAS THEIR OWN PICK AND 9 MIL SALARY RELIEF.

CLIPPERS OUT- to NOLA GALLINARI, L WILLIAMS total salary 30.6 mil
    CLIPPERS IN picks nbr 14 from boston and 39 and 57 from nola PLUS HARFORD total salary 30.1 mil
    CLIPPERS get 1/2 mil salary relief plus a first and 2 seconds this year

NOLA OUT- 48.5 MIL VALUE PLAYERS SHOWN
    NOLA IN: Memphis's pick next yr, boston nbr 20 this yr, BOSTON PLAYERS and LA players shown VALUED AT 57.5 MIL

I mean, the salary cap says we can't sign Jimmy Butler or Kemba Walker this year. Unless you think either of them is taking less than $19m.
    not yet but we can unload certain contracts to make at least one spot

not yet but we can unload certain contracts to make at least one spot

Got any ideas for that?

Got any ideas for that?
    nope lol jist knw if we get rid of hill and Moore we can make atleast 1 work I mean probably other deal also. the one I can't remember who brought it up but brogdan or whatever offer kind of a poison pill type deal that the bucks can't match then come back with like well trade you Moore for him and they get a sorta knock down shooter and a trade exemption or whatever lol

Thread Information