Pelicans Report

Page 118 of 127 FirstFirst ... 18 68 108 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 ... LastLast
Results 2,926 to 2,950 of 3173

Thread: AD trade scenarios...

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    The only thing about LaVine is that I do not like the players that Minnesota develops. They just seem so soft with no killer instinct or defensive intensity or accountability when Weedplate Wiggins, Tinman Towns, Zack where together. They where just so passive and not hungry.
    It must be the weather up there and lack of places to get decent food.

I think Boston is going to take the gamble. It worked for Toronto. Ainge wants a championship now.

Boston could be interested in Jimmy Butler too.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    I think Boston is going to take the gamble. It worked for Toronto. Ainge wants a championship now.
    I've said before that even if Ainge doesn't cough up every single thing, he can still make a pretty fantastic offer even with a partial shot.

Unless LA can rope in a third team or flip their assets quick, they still don't have anything better than Brown, Smart, filler, #14, #22, and Memphis.

That would leave Boston with Tatum and AD, and they'd still have the #20 pick in this year's draft.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Boston could be interested in Jimmy Butler too.
    They are capped out and he opted out of his contract. I suppose a S&T is possible but they can't just sign him.

...we get to go McDonalds
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Have you seen many of his games?

I meant it more like "damn, you've actually watched him?"

I'm very suspicious of folks who speak matter-of-factly about prospects. Also stock pickers.

Quote Originally Posted by Primetime View Post
    I meant it more like "damn, you've actually watched him?"

I'm very suspicious of folks who speak matter-of-factly about prospects. Also stock pickers.
    I speak matter of factly because I think the ''in my opinion'' is heavily implied in forum posts.

Happy to admit I could be completely wrong, and like I said, it's not even like I was dissing him in the first place. Still think he'd be a good pick somewhere around #15, just wouldn't be my first choice for a SF/PF tweener in today's NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I speak matter of factly because I think the ''in my opinion'' is heavily implied in forum posts.

Happy to admit I could be completely wrong, and like I said, it's not even like I was dissing him in the first place. Still think he'd be a good pick somewhere around #15, just wouldn't be my first choice for a SF/PF tweener in today's NBA.
    Just an FYI...I read your posts with a British accent. Ha ha ha

...we get to go McDonalds
    Does Boston have to gamble? Is it possible that it's in both Griffin and Ainge's best interest to use AD as bait for the Celtics? For example, if you want let's say Kemba Walker or whoever, you can let the player know once FA starts that if he signs w/Boston, they'll pull the trigger on AD trade. So Celtics get the benefit of AD and lessen the risk.

It's not like the Lakers trade is going anywhere. The only downside is you get whoever they draft at four.

Well, Lakers are only working out 2nd round picks. Maybe a little overconfident

I thought we were fixating on the trade but the laker thread is over a thousand.

Quote Originally Posted by Rampart View Post
    I thought we were fixating on the trade but the laker thread is over a thousand.
    Ah but what proportion is that? The Lakers fanbase includes most people from LA, but also massive amounts of hype-hopping non-LA natives, and all the Lebron fans. So they may 1000 pages, but that might be 1000 pages for a 10,000,000 strong fanbase. 118 pages for a much, much, much smaller fanbase is far more impressive.

I think news starts to break this weekend on where AD is going.

Quote Originally Posted by WildlifeAirGrp View Post
    That's a winner in my eyes. Especially, when AD goes down for about 35 games that 2020 pick will be worth something. Also, getting Solo off the books washes away the stench that Demps left behind.
    geezus Christ are you insane? that's us getting raped while the other 2 teams get better wow

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

"Ah but what proportion is that? The Lakers fanbase includes most people from LA, but also massive amounts of hype-hopping non-LA natives, and all the Lebron fans. So they may 1000 pages, but that might be 1000 pages for a 10,000,000 strong fanbase. 118 pages for a much, much, much smaller fanbase is far more impressive."

good point ! I\d rather be proud of us over laughing at them any day anyways

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    geezus Christ are you insane? that's us getting raped while the other 2 teams get better wow

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
    Don't know why we wanna ruin the trade by forcing Hill in it. He's an expiring. Just let it run its course and keep our assets

Don't know why we wanna ruin the trade by forcing Hill in it. He's an expiring. Just let it run its course and keep our assets
    Exactly. A couple of people have made trades here and there that include us packaging a second or even a future first or something to get off Solo's contract, and I just can't see why.

Like you said. He's expiring, and having a big expiring contract is an asset, when you aren't really trying to contend this year. Keep it, enjoy letting him bench ride, let him come off the books next summer and give us $11m in cap space.

All depends. If moving hill allows us to sign a good player to a long term deal then it's fine to include him even if it lessens an asset that we get.

If it frees up 20m+ and we sign Brogdon with the space we otherwise wouldn't have, would you still say it's ruining the trade by forcing Hill in it?

The Pelicans are operating multiple steps ahead so just because Hill is in the trade doesn't mean they don't have a plan.

Exactly. A couple of people have made trades here and there that include us packaging a second or even a future first or something to get off Solo's contract, and I just can't see why.

Like you said. He's expiring, and having a big expiring contract is an asset, when you aren't really trying to contend this year. Keep it, enjoy letting him bench ride, let him come off the books next summer and give us $11m in cap space.
    They ARE trying to compete this year. Griff, Gentry, all of them have already said as much.

As much as we might want a full rebuild it's not happening.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!

I wouldn’t sacrifice a lot to get him thrown into the deal, but without knowing how Griff intends to use cap space this summer it’s hard to judge in a vacuum.

There’s also value to culture and lockeroom to get rid of an unhappy vet. You think Solo will be happy to ride the bench again before going into his free agency? He was annoyed with how much run he got last year! I’d expect him to be a malcontent again if he’s not traded.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    They ARE trying to compete this year. Griff, Gentry, all of them have already said as much.

As much as we might want a full rebuild it's not happening.
    I think there's a tangible difference between trying to compete, and trying to be competitive.

Griff has said time and time and time again that he does NOT want to emulate his actions in Cleveland, and that he wants to build sustained, ''generational'' success. You don't do that by rushing to win now. He specifically said the Cleveland model, where he threw asset after asset to win now, to be instantly competitive, was a product of having Lebron James and was ''not sustainable''.

Of course Griff doesn't want to put out a 15 win team next year, and if he can have us make the playoffs, he will try to do that. But he's not going to make obviously silly moves that handicap the franchise long term just to sneak into the playoffs as the 8th seed next year. If he can package Solo in a way that's smart and makes sense for the future to acquire a long term asset, he will, but I doubt he's going to start packaging off young players or assets just to get rid of Solos expiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    All depends. If moving hill allows us to sign a good player to a long term deal then it's fine to include him even if it lessens an asset that we get.

If it frees up 20m+ and we sign Brogdon with the space we otherwise wouldn't have, would you still say it's ruining the trade by forcing Hill in it?

The Pelicans are operating multiple steps ahead so just because Hill is in the trade doesn't mean they don't have a plan.
    Well, we could dump Hill someway else with all our 2nd round picks from Mil. We aren't the hottest FA spot at the moment. If we could draw in Bro. Then, you get the pieces moving to dump Hill. I would consider it highly unlikely at the moment
    Which makes me sad.. I'd like to get in a nice player like Brog.

Who is talking about throwing assets away to move Hill? The entire premise was him being included in the AD trade not giving up assets to move him.

If, like you guys are saying, having an expiring is an asset at the deadline why would it even cost a lot to move Hill? Like I pointed out, if it allows us to sign Brogdon then I'm 200% behind doing it.

Well, we could dump Hill someway else with all our 2nd round picks from Mil. We aren't the hottest FA spot at the moment. If we could draw in Bro. Then, you get the pieces moving to dump Hill. I would consider it highly unlikely at the moment
    Which makes me sad.. I'd like to get in a nice player like Brog.
    Why waste assets on that when he can be used as a filler in an AD trade?

Yes if we can move Hill we need to do that...if it some how is just a extra thing. Freeing up that cap space allows us to add someone on July 1 that may add to the team substantially. Hill is set to make $12,758,781 this year....Zach Lavine is set to make 19.5m. If that trade happens it almost pays for his salary.
    Last edited by Pels4Life; 06-14-2019 at 07:21 PM.

Thread Information