Pelicans Report

Page 11 of 127 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 61 111 ... LastLast

Thread: AD trade scenarios...

I would hope the Lakers deal includes 2020 unprotected 1st as well. That was on the table before, but not sure the protection and that was Magic calling the shots. Old LeBron, AD, and who knows what could still miss the playoffs IMO, so that 2020 pick could be a good one. The west is still the toughest conference.

I’m just worried if you trade AD to the Knicks, they add KD, and some pieces that team could be damn good in the east depending on what Kawhi does with Toronto. Then Dallas could be good to by 2021 & 2023. Then the 2023 pick is not even a sure thing I believe. I think if it doesn’t reach certain parameters it either goes away or becomes a 2nd.

I just rather get players and I think the Lakers have the best group with Ingram, Kuzma, Ball, Hunter(4th), Hart, Wagner(?), and 2020 non-protected 1st.

I like Barrett and Smith Jr, but not sold on Knox & Robinson. Maybe if we can get Trier too.

I wish Boston had a top 8 pick in this draft, so we could have a shot at Culver, Reddish, Garland, or White ��. Think they had a shot at 9, but it didn’t fall that way. I was hoping it would, but we got lucky enough ��. I like Tatum, Brown, & Smart, but still rather get Ingram, Kuzma, Ball, & Hunter. If we get all 3 Boston’s 1sts then maybe we could use 2 to trade up for a player. I’d love to get Naz Reid later, but that’s a little biased. Dude can ball though.

Wouldn’t all these teams have to sign & trade us someone to make the salaries fit as well????
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 05-18-2019 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post

I like Barrett and Smith Jr, but not sold on Knox & Robinson. Maybe if we can get Trier too.

Wouldn’t all these teams have to sign & trade us someone to make the salaries fit as well????
    Nope, they wouldn't all have to sign and trade. NY has so much cap space they don't even technically have to send back salary, although they would because they want that cap to sign Durant with.

Serious question: what makes you like Smith, but makes you not sold on Robinson?
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!

Even though he writes on a Pelicans blog and host a Pelicans podcast...
    Guess this dude must be a closet Lakers fan too...

This is going to come down to which players the Pelicans prefer. Here's a report that they're not particularly drawn to Kevin Knox of the Knicks. Who knows if this stuff is true though?

From the article: "Even without including Knox, New York can still make the Pelicans a suitable offer for Davis. Mitchell Robinson is an intriguing prospect, and the Knicks have plenty of first-rounders.

But New York’s path to acquiring Davis is definitely narrower if New Orleans doesn’t value Knox."

Quote Originally Posted by Gant- View Post
    This is going to come down to which players the Pelicans prefer. Here's a report that they're not particularly drawn to Kevin Knox of the Knicks. Who knows if this stuff is true though?

From the article: "Even without including Knox, New York can still make the Pelicans a suitable offer for Davis. Mitchell Robinson is an intriguing prospect, and the Knicks have plenty of first-rounders.

But New York’s path to acquiring Davis is definitely narrower if New Orleans doesn’t value Knox."

This leads me to believe we are more interested in the picks from the Knicks. It may be a play for leverage where we only go after Knox to shed some salary for them. They need the cap space, so it would make sense to play down Knox’s value.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    So, let's just be realistic.

Knicks assets: #3 pick, DSJ, Mitchell Robinson, Kevin Knox, 2x Dallas picks, extra Knicks picks
    Celtics assets: #14, #20, #22, 2021 Memphis pick, Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart
    Lakers assets: #4 pick, Ingram*, Lonzo Ball**, Kyle Kuzma***, Josh Hart

*Incredible injury risk, career could be over
    ** Repeated injury risk, has 0 offensive game, has already said he doesn't want to be here
    *** Inefficient and doesn't play defense.

Lakers offer is garbage.
    Knicks assets: #3 pick, DSJ, Mitchell Robinson, Kevin Knox, 2x Dallas picks, extra Knicks picks.
    -I like but would flip DSJ and Knox

Celtics assets: #14, #20, #22, 2021 Memphis pick, Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart
    -This is my favorite but I don’t think they include Smart. I’d ask for Hayward and flip him.

-I hate this. It needs at least another 1st and all the players need to be flipped

As a Celtics fan I still hope that Ainge will make an offer for Davis. Even though we had huge chemistry issues this year, I still think trying to compete for a title with Irving/Smart/Brown/Hayward/Horford/Davis/Baynes is the best way to go. We can prepare for the long term to build around the young guys (Rozier, Smart, Brown, Ojeleye, Tatum, Williams and draft picks), but I'm of the belief that if you have the chance to build a championship roster now, you have to take it. Even though it looks like Toronto is getting defeated by Milwaukee their move to acquire Leonard was brilliant. Gasol not that much, but I think Valanciunas has been underrated by everyone.

However it would be stupid to gut the roster and not have a reliable supporting cast left in place for Davis, which would undermine the purpose of such a deal. You don't trade significant assets for a one-year contract if it doesn't put you at the top. Also we shouldn't be bidding against ourselves. Some other teams that have been mentioned as possible suitors for AD (like Lakers, Clippers, Nuggets, Nets, Raptors, 76ers) don't have enough assets to reasonably make available to compete with a big Celtics offer.

With all that in mind, what are the Pelicans really looking for? That's a potential superstar to play alongside Zion. This has to be a young player that has at least shown flashes of stardom and that can spread the floor. Tatum is that guy. Many Celtics fans hate giving up the best Celtics prospect since Larry Bird, but that's the way it has to go. Personally I think Brown is a better fit for the Celtics to keep, since he doesn't need to be a volume scorer in a team with enough scoring options. Other pieces that are of interest are draft picks, young talent and cheap veteran role players. The Celtics have 3 picks this year (#14, #20, #22) and a possibly very valuable future Grizzlies pick. I would want to hold on one pick for depth (since the Pelicans would already draft 3 players, I'd keep #22).

The problem with any trade is the salary requirement. I really don't want to trade our team leader and best defender in Marcus Smart, but maybe it's possible to do a sign-and-trade around Terry Rozier. His stock has fallen a bit, so I don't think he'll get huge offers of 20+ million a season. A sign-and-trade for like 40/4 would be ideal. The Pelicans need a new point guard and for that salary his contract would at least be neutral and he's young enough and has playoff experience to help the Pelicans. Since Robert Williams was really impressive against the Pelicans and there isn't a big man included in the trade I'd think they will ask for him. He's still very raw and for his career it's probably better to get opportunities at a new team. Finally Guerschon Yabusele is a throw-in as salary filler, he's has no real value.

And that completes the final offer I'd support the Celtics to make:

Jayson Tatum, Robert Williams III, Terry Rozier (sign-and-trade), Guerschon Yabusele, 2019 #14 pick, 2019 #20 pick + Memphis 1st (protected 1-6 in 2020, unprotected 2021)

That's a lot of assets to give up and I believe that will triumph all offers from the Lakers, Nuggets or Clippers. The only team that could possibly beat that are the Knicks if they're willing to offer all their young guys and picks to try to create a big three with Irving, Durant and Davis. If they're that desperate I'd let them do it, even if that means that Irving leaves.

That godfather offer by the Knicks would be:

Mitchell Robinson, Dennis Smith Jr., Kevin Knox, Frank Ntilikina, Damyean Dotson, 2019 #3 pick, 2021 Dallas 1st (unprotected) + 2023 Dallas 1st (protected 1-10)

(you could swap Ntilikina and Dotson for Lance Thomas, but his contract has negative value, so I'd say that would bring the Celtics back in play)

If the Knicks would go that far then that would be by far the biggest trade package that has ever been sent for one player.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    Knicks assets: #3 pick, DSJ, Mitchell Robinson, Kevin Knox, 2x Dallas picks, extra Knicks picks.
    -I like but would flip DSJ and Knox

-This is my favorite but I don’t think they include Smart. I’d ask for Hayward and flip him.

-I hate this. It needs at least another 1st and all the players need to be flipped
    One thing that works in our favor with the Knicks trade that I looked into; all of the players will be locked into contract until the 2022 season. What that means is we should have ridiculous flexibility in an awesome 2021 free agency class.

I don't see any way the Pels accept a Celtics trade that doesn't include Tatum AND either Smart or Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    I don't see any way the Pels accept a Celtics trade that doesn't include Tatum AND either Smart or Brown.
    Exactly. They will have to play Bol Bol with us if they want a shot at him. The Celtics are probably in the most compromising situation with Kyrie on the fence. They can’t afford to let him go.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    And why would we want Terry Rozier for $10m a year? How is that a selling point? I'd rather resign Elfrid Payton (for presumably cheaper as well).

Interesting. I posted Im not crazy about him either few days ago. He just seems too stiff. Good rotation player though. But I still like what the Knicks can offer more than other teams. If not the Knicks then definitely Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    So, let's just be realistic.

Knicks assets: #3 pick, DSJ, Mitchell Robinson, Kevin Knox, 2x Dallas picks, extra Knicks picks

*Incredible injury risk, career could be over
    ** Repeated injury risk, has 0 offensive game, has already said he doesn't want to be here
    *** Inefficient and doesn't play defense.

Lakers offer is garbage.
    I want the Knicks deal so bad because Barrett and Zion would be awesome together plus make Zion happy but I’d have to still go to the Celtics deal . Plus if all three were equal Lakers are in the west and that has to figure into it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Celtics de doesn’t come with Tatum Brown and Smart and all three of Boston’s first rounders this year I go with the Knicks deal . If AD say he doesn’t want to stay I hope Griffin doesn’t wait to trade him until the deadline that’s to risky just send him packing and let’s start a new I’ve had enough of the AD drama sign the super max or get to steppin take the best deal draft night

I don’t think we are interested in keeping most of what we would get back. I think we draft our guy with the 3rd pick and keep Robinson. The future picks along with Knox and DSJr is perfect trade bait to bring in an all star caliber player. Keeping all of the picks and the young guys would be foolish imo. Griffin is going to be exploring every avenue to make this team better and I believe he will be on the hunt to acquire someone like Beal.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    I don’t think we are interested in keeping most of what we would get back. I think we draft our guy with the 3rd pick and keep Robinson. The future picks along with Knox and DSJr is perfect trade bait to bring in an all star caliber player. Keeping all of the picks and the young guys would be foolish imo. Griffin is going to be exploring every avenue to make this team better and I believe he will be on the hunt to acquire someone like Beal.
    That’s the beauty of the Knicks trade though. You can sit on the picks and the young guys and sign Beal outright in 2021 FA. If Griffin wants to, he can make a trade for a star. As long as he is wise with the cap space and doesn’t commit to any dumb deals, we can instead sign any FA we want in 2021. That way we have the bird rights of the young guys plus a chance to make a Star signing. He can go either way- sitting on the picks and players isn’t stupid. It’s just a more patient approach.

Smith and Robinson + 3rd pick and it’s a deal

PG Smith
    SG Holiday
    SF Barret
    PF Zion
    C Robinson

That is a good starting 5 that has the potential to become very good.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post

PG Smith
    SG Holiday
    SF Barret
    PF Zion
    C Robinson

Smith, Robinson, Trier, and the third pick. If we get Trier, we can trade Moore as a valuable expiring.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    Smith, Robinson, Trier, and the third pick. If we get Trier, we can trade Moore as a valuable expiring.

This is the best scenario I think.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post

PG Smith
    SG Holiday
    SF Barret
    PF Zion
    C Robinson

That really is a young group, which is just an observation, not a criticism. Take away Holiday and they're the right age to win the NCAA tournament. Looked at another way, Zion, Barrett, Smith and Robinson all together are not as old as Hubie Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    That’s the beauty of the Knicks trade though. You can sit on the picks and the young guys and sign Beal outright in 2021 FA. If Griffin wants to, he can make a trade for a star. As long as he is wise with the cap space and doesn’t commit to any dumb deals, we can instead sign any FA we want in 2021. That way we have the bird rights of the young guys plus a chance to make a Star signing. He can go either way- sitting on the picks and players isn’t stupid. It’s just a more patient approach.
    We simply do not need that many young players. If you have the chance to get Beal for DSJr, Knox, and a couple of picks you make the deal and don’t hope he signs with you in FA. Most of these guys are terrible fits with Jrue, Barrett, and Zion as well. A couple of the guys like Robinson and Trier are great fits while I think DSJr and Knox would be bad fits. We need shooters.. Griffin will build a team that fits around our talent and not bring in a bunch of young guys to waste a year or 2 of our core.

That really is a young group, which is just an observation, not a criticism. Take away Holiday and they're the right age to win the NCAA tournament. Looked at another way, Zion, Barrett, Smith and Robinson all together are not as old as Hubie Brown.
    That’s why I want to keep Holiday as opposed to ship him out for all new young guys.

This young team would probably take a couple of years to compete for championships but that’s fine, let the warriors win a couple more because you can’t build a championship team overnight. In a couple years the current stars will be on the tail end of their careers as this team would be peaking.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    We simply do not need that many young players. If you have the chance to get Beal for DSJr, Knox, and a couple of picks you make the deal and don’t hope he signs with you in FA. Most of these guys are terrible fits with Jrue, Barrett, and Zion as well. A couple of the guys like Robinson and Trier are great fits while I think DSJr and Knox would be bad fits. We need shooters.. Griffin will build a team that fits around our talent and not bring in a bunch of young guys to waste a year or 2 of our core.
    Beal instantly kills our draft picks without making us competitive enough to win a title. We don’t want that. We can do a sign and trade with Washington when need be.

I don’t think you honestly believe we will win a title in that window. You are just being very impatient like our last GM that screwed us over.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar

AD said he’d sign with clippers long term if traded there. I think they could offer a more attractive package for the PELICANS.

PELICANS receive: PG Shai Gilgious-Alexander, SF Galinari, PF/C Harrell and philly 2020 1st round pick and Miami 2021 1st pick.

CLIPPERS receive: AD and Solomon Hill.

Lineup:

PG Shai
    SG Jrue
    SF Galinari
    PF Zion
    C Harrell

BACKUPS: Randle, Elfrid, Okafor, Frank Jackson, Wood, Kenrich Williams, Diallo, Moore.

Getting 2 1st rounders is a must. This is better than the Boston trade imo. Shai is very likely a star pg in the making. He’s super young and talented. Galinari gives us a good vet SF who can shoot lights out. Harrell is a very physical big who can defend, rebound and create matchup problems. Combine this with the 2 picks and we will be on our way to a very good rebuild.

Thread Information