Pelicans Report

Page 88 of 127 FirstFirst ... 38 78 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 98 ... LastLast
Results 2,176 to 2,200 of 3173

Thread: AD trade scenarios...

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...k-ad-deal-pels

Woj story:

''The Brooklyn Nets and LA Clippers are two teams with interest in Davis who've been able to gather traction in conversations with New Orleans, league sources said.''

''Davis' agent, Rich Paul of Klutch Sports, has indicated publicly and privately to the Celtics that Davis would leave Boston in free agency in 2020, essentially becoming a one-year rental for the Celtics.

Nevertheless, Boston is still determined to trade for Davis
    , a six-time All-Star and three-time All-NBA selection, and hope that he can be a lure to keep All-Star guard Kyrie Irving from leaving in free agency.

Irving had discussed the possibility of joining Kevin Durant as a free agent in either New York or Brooklyn, sources said, but Durant has been lost for the 2019-20 season after surgery to repair a ruptured right Achilles tendon.''

Some key quotes
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Prepare to get scolded for wanting to trade Holiday.
    He's new.

You should know better.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    ''Pairing him at Lonzo in the backcourt would be sick''

And where's Jrue, just vanished? Come on.

The thing about Lonzo and defense is that he always had the tools to defend. He's a PG who's 6'5 with a 6'8 wingspan. The potential for defense was always there. Garland is 6'3 and his wingspan is 6'4.5. He doesn't have that natural size advantage over most PGs that Lonzo has. For undersized defenders, the way you really get the advantage is with gritty hard work and high IQ. Garland doesn't seem, from the small sample size we had in college, to care much about defense, and doesn't seem to have natural instinct for it.
    Ehhh, I could be down for Garland. Shooter is a big need at the moment. We aren't aiming for a defensive build if we take the Lakers deal, anyways. So, we might aswell get the best shooter in the draft even if his sample size is super small.

I had my hopes for a more defensive structure team and picks going the Knicks route, but it looks DOA.

I wonder what kickstarted the Woj tweet.
    Jrue dat

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Ehhh, I could be down for Garland. Shooter is a big need at the moment. We aren't aiming for a defensive build if we take the Lakers deal, anyways. So, we might aswell get the best shooter in the draft even if his sample size is super small.

I had my hopes for a more defensive structure team and picks going the Knicks route, but it looks DOA.
    We kind of need to go for a defensive build. Jrue is a good scorer, but he's a defender at heart. Zion is an offensive dynamo, but his defense is top tier.

Good NBA teams play defense. The only team with a top 5 record this year without being a top 10 defense was Golden State.

Toronto has dominated Golden State in these finals through having a far superior defense. If ''we aren't aiming for a defensive build'', then we aren't aiming to win basketball games.

Edit: as a side note, as a fan, I also want my basketball team to be fun to watch. There's nothing less fun and more frustrating than watching a bunch of idiots run around like headless chickens on D and get bombed on.

Griffin's action are concerning me in terms of team building. Holiday should be on the trading block. We should not be actively seeking anything but draft picks and rookie contracts.

The team has been preeeeeeetty adamant that they're not trading Jrue over the last couple of months. Given that his contract extends for multiple years, he won't be going anywhere unless he personally requests a trade. And given the fact that he's seemed pretty happy to embrace the idea of being the leader of the team, I don't see that happening.

Yes, it's true that he could possibly bring in good assets, but when you're bringing in a lot of youth you need good, intelligent, patient, and disciplined vets to guide them and bring them into their own. Jrue is the perfect guy to be that influence and leader.
    I don't want to move him. But I'm just thinking of hypotheticals and how that conversation with him could change once we re-shape the team centered around a bunch of core players under age 22-23.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Didn't we already figure out that Klutch/Lakers leak to Shams, and Griff has been feeding info to Woj?

So if in a Woj report, we know the Lakers are offering their three best assets, but don't know who Boston is offering, isn't it safe to assume that Griff is leaking this to get Boston to offer more?

I mean we just said 2 days ago that Griff/Pels are obviously Woj's source. Now we're flip flopping on that because what we want to believe doesn't fit our narrative.

The KD injury and the ability to still pay Kyrie a 5 year max has cracked the door open for Boston to still make a respectable offer... But it's not enough. Yet.

The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Griffin's action are concerning me in terms of team building. Holiday should be on the trading block. We should not be actively seeking anything but draft picks and rookie contracts.
    Teams with a lot of youth need vets to guide them.

We already have a ton of youth on the team, in terms of Frank Jackson, Christian Wood, Kenrich Williams. Zion Williamson will be joining that group pretty soon, and whether he ends up in LA, Boston, or New York, the AD trade will bring in even more youth.

We are going to have 6 or 7 players under the age of 24 by the time AD is traded and the draft is over. Vet leadership is vital: we don't need to trade Jrue for more youth. It's no good having 9 players under 24 instead of 7 if the cost is losing all your intelligent veteran leadership.

Knicks: AD

Suns: Dennis Smith Jr

Pels: Josh Jackson, Mitchell Robinson, Frank Nlitikina, Kevin Knox, RJ Barrett, & Knicks & Mavs 2021

I would be fine with that cause I like getting two 2021 picks due to a loaded draft that year. I would take either Josh Jackson or Miles Bridges from the Suns. The Suns need a point guard, so Smith may be good enough since he’s a starting caliber point guard. I would try to get another pick, but 3 first rounders is alot considering the 2021 draft may be really special. I think RJ Barrett will be a stud and maybe Josh Jackson will be with more minutes. The Suns are stacked at the 3. In this scenario Jrue would likely have to play point guard.

C: Robinson
    PF: Zion
    SF: Jackson, Knox
    SG: RJ
    PG: Jrue, Frank

I think I still like the Celtics or Lakers trade possibilities, but I honestly think RJ Barrett has the chance to be as special as Zion. I think he could be the best player out of anyone listed in trade possibilities. He did lead Duke in scoring and was seen as the best recruit coming out over Zion. Plus it would have to make both those guys extremely happy to be playing together in the NBA.
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 06-12-2019 at 05:35 PM.

Was a lede buried in the article about LA/Boston being deep in negotiations.

Seems we have more leverage than some assume.

It's Fletch, so.... it's Fletch.

But there you go.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190612-163335_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	6420

I made a thing.....my current fantasy.

But there you go.
    Fletch has turned his sourcing around more recently, but he does say "my bet," which indicates this is a hunch, speculation, not really anything he has heard.

For what it's worth I think Boston is more in play than people realize as well.

Lakers have a lot more to lose and with Durant down, Lebron wanting to win now, not when he is 36, if the Lakers don't get AD now they probably won't get him next season either. Ainge is probably smart enough to realize this as well.

But there you go.
    I think if Ainge was offering Tatum , Brown and Smart this thing would be done don’t you ?? Worries me they trying to keep Tatum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Didn't we already figure out that Klutch/Lakers leak to Shams, and Griff has been feeding info to Woj?

So if in a Woj report, we know the Lakers are offering their three best assets, but don't know who Boston is offering, isn't it safe to assume that Griff is leaking this to get Boston to offer more?

I mean we just said 2 days ago that Griff/Pels are obviously Woj's source. Now we're flip flopping on that because what we want to believe doesn't fit our narrative.

The KD injury and the ability to still pay Kyrie a 5 year max has cracked the door open for Boston to still make a respectable offer... But it's not enough. Yet.
    Although it is possible, it does not sound like Griffin's MO. RP admitted in the SI article that he leaked the names before and now the Pelicans have changed their front office and yet the names are leaked again. Woj doesn't get everything he reports on from the Pelicans just like Shams report yesterday that the Celtics were still involved likely did not come from RP.

Quote Originally Posted by MistaWhoDat View Post
    I think if Ainge was offering Tatum , Brown and Smart this thing would be done don’t you ?? Worries me they trying to keep Tatum

Like I said, it's Fletch. Many grains of salt involved with everything he says.

Feel the same way. If that is the case, I think this could be a one team race.

If it ends up being Boston, it'll more likely be 2 out of those 3, plus other nice things.

...we get to go McDonalds
    It’s gonna be Lakers, guys. Ainge is just doing Griff a solid

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Feel the same way. If that is the case, I think this could be a one team race.
    Don't really agree there.

Griff clearly doesn't love what LA has to offer, or he would have taken it already. They're putting Ingram, Ball, and #4 on the table and he's telling them ''not good enough. Get another team.''

If there really was only one team offeringanything decent, Griff would have taken it, just like if Ainge was offering everything, Griff would have taken it.

He's sitting between the multiple offers he's getting and trying to leverage them all up. There may be favourites right now, but I think it would be silly to just assume there's a team that's basically got it locked in already.

Maybe just maybe this forum values the C’s assets more than griff or the coaching staff.

We kind of need to go for a defensive build. Jrue is a good scorer, but he's a defender at heart. Zion is an offensive dynamo, but his defense is top tier.

Good NBA teams play defense. The only team with a top 5 record this year without being a top 10 defense was Golden State.

Toronto has dominated Golden State in these finals through having a far superior defense. If ''we aren't aiming for a defensive build'', then we aren't aiming to win basketball games.

Edit: as a side note, as a fan, I also want my basketball team to be fun to watch. There's nothing less fun and more frustrating than watching a bunch of idiots run around like headless chickens on D and get bombed on.
    I don't know. I get the feeling that Griffin wants to come out next season as playoff team. I JUST don't understand why we need to flip the 4th to get a star. Make Lakers give up future assets, not us. Lakers have no leverage. They need AD.. THIS YEAR. So, I rather burn lakeshow to the ground with a Knicks deal or Celtics deal unless they give exactly what we want.

One thing to remember is that the threat of AD walking away ASSUMES that LA will have the cap space to sign him in 2020.

If AD goes to Boston or NY, LA has two choices.

1) Burn another year of Lebron on one-year big contracts to fill out the team so that they can still have space in 2020 to sign AD.
    2) Try and make signings from the multiple high quality stars in FA this year, spending the money that would be needed for AD next year.

It's not just a case of ''Oh, hey, if AD goes elsewhere, LA just needs to wait and they'll get him anyway.''

It's a case of ''if AD goes elsewhere, LA has to accept and waste a full year of Lebron, AGAIN, after Lebron's camp has already threatened trade demands if they can't secure something this year''.

Essentially, if LA don't get AD now, they might just not get AD at all.

Thread Information