Pelicans Report

Page 22 of 127 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 32 72 122 ... LastLast

Thread: AD trade scenarios...

I do not get the hype for Ayton, theoretically sure, but then I watch him play. He just seems destined to be a guy that will never get the most out of his ability. If Ayton was Jaren Jackson Jr. instead, then I would be all about it. I do like TJ Warren, and generally don’t see as much as a drop off between Morant/Barrett and the next group as most.

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    I like a deal with Brooklyn over anything else I’ve seen. If we could Russell, LeVert, Allen, & maybe Harris. We would essentially be trading AD for the core of a playoff team in the east. Then if we like whoever they acquire in the draft maybe we add one of those players as well. I would like to get one player on a rookie deal, so hopefully we like who they draft or get a future pick instead. Someone like Romeo Langford would be a nice get IMO. I would drop Harris for one or both the first round rookies they draft if they get a decent wing, big, or point guard we like. They have done pretty good in the draft and since we would be getting the core of the team they have now they would likely draft players that fit those 4. Russell & LeVert would be a damn good duo to go with Zion & Jrue. LeVert was beast in the playoffs in those 5 games averaging 21 ppg. He looked unstoppable at times. Russell looked great as well. Allen would be a good starting center. Those 3 are a lot better than what the Knicks have to offer. I just love the thought of getting a 23 year old Russell on the start of a brand new contract that he will hit his prime during. Then hopefully sign LeVert to a decent extension that would run out right when Zion’s rookie deal would be coming up.

C: Allen
    PF: Zion
    SF: LeVert
    SG: Jrue
    PG: Russell

I love that team and hope AD would be willing to sign there. Or hope the Nets go back to their dumb ways and make the deal no matter what lol.
    Russell would have to be a S&T and that cannot happen before the draft. So, the Pelicans would have to forgo all trade offers with 2019 draft picks involved just to wait until July 1 to talk to Russell and hope he wants to come here. Not realistic.

I think it’s funny all these Celtics fans offering up there trade packages that don’t include Tatum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Biasvasospasm View Post
    I think how you feel about the Clippers package depends totally on how you feel about SGA. I think even a high end Clippers package is somewhat limited, though if other teams don't go all out I could be talked into it.

I really like him. I see a lot of Jrue Holiday in him both offensively and defensively, with the main difference being that he's much longer and a bit less quick (and not nearly as strong as current Jrue). I see him as a pretty sure long-term starter, with multiple time All-Star as his ceiling. He has a great feel for playing in the half-court, is smooth, skilled, and incredibly long at the point. He understands how to use ball-screens and in a limited sample size is dangerous in isolation. He's a good defender already who will eventually be able to guard 1-3, maybe small ball 4s given his nearly 7 foot wingspan. He gets blocks, steals at a high rate for a guard, pretty similar in that regard to Jrue as well.

He needs to do a better job limiting bad turnovers and could improve as a playmaker in the halfcourt, but he's a smart, unselfish player who I think will get there.
    He lacks high end athleticism or high end shooting skill that makes it hard for me to imagine him as an All-NBA type of guy.

I think he's one of the better assets available that have been discussed for AD. The rest of the Clippers stuff is kind of meh, though Shamet is a great, cost-controlled shooter who doesn't kill you otherwise, which is valuable.

Who knows what the offers will be. Breaking it down into tiers, with my target being maximizing my top end talent and future flexibility, based upon length of contract, potential of asset:

Tatum
    SGA, 3 (I like SGA a bit better than 3)
    Siakam
    Lonzo
    Memphis Pick, Brandon Ingram, Jaylen Brown, Mitchell Robinson, Landry Shamet, Marcus Smart
    14, Future Heat, Kuzma, OG Anunoby
    Other Celtics picks, Future Sixers, Future Mavs, Future Lakers, Future Knicks, Future Clippers, Future Raptors
    Getting rid of Solomon Hill
    Hart, Trier, Danilo Gallinari's expiring, Montrez Harrell's expiring, Van Vleet

Kevin Knox, Mo Wagner, other minor pieces

I think Celtics have the most good pieces with good fit and are diversified over the years. They can make the strongest offer, who knows if they will. I think Lakers are next, but their pieces have fit issues and probably at least one if not several would need to be moved to other teams. I don't think their best pieces are quite as good as the Celtics, Knicks, or Clippers best piece, but they have probably 3 things as good or better than the next best asset from any of those teams. I think, gun to my head, I prefer the Lakers absolute best offer to the Clippers and Knicks best offers, but it's tough and I like Brandon Ingram better than most.
    This is a good way to break it down, because the trade is going to go to the team that gives up the best couple of assets. The lesser assets can very likely be worked out and won't be make or break.

I think if we do trade AD we may as well throw Solomon Hill along with him to free up some cap space. I am sure they will agree to the trade and they can figure out how they want to use/trade SH later. The Knicks have alot of cap room that is ideal for such a trade as they may do it just to ensure the AD acquisition.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pels4Life View Post
    I think if we do trade AD we may as well throw Solomon Hill along with him to free up some cap space. I am sure they will agree to the trade and they can figure out how they want to use/trade SH later. The Knicks have alot of cap room that is ideal for such a trade as they may do it just to ensure the AD acquisition.
    AD + Solo ----- Tatum, Hayward & Memphis 2021,Sacto & LAC Picks.Flip 3 1st round picks for targeted 3&D.

^^^ You never know. Could be something like that. Hayward's going to be a lot better next year than he was this year.
    Last edited by Gant-; 05-24-2019 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gant- View Post
    ^^^ You never know. Could be something like that. Hayward's going to be a lot better next year than he was this year.
    Here's a hot take, no idea how popular or unpopular it is:

Hayward was never that great. He was just the best scorer on a team that was desperate for offensive players. He wasn't awful either, but there are heaps of players who would have been just as successful in Utah as he was.
    Basketball.

I would do something like this....

Pels trade: AD + Solo

Knicks trade:
    - 2019 1st round 3rd pick (we pick RJ Barrett)
    - 2020 2nd round pick (Knicks received from Hornets)
    - 2021 1st round pick (Knicks are receiving from Mavs as the option is open when Mavs complete their trade with Atlanta this draft)
    - Kevin Knox
    - Mitchell Robinson

This trade builds a young core, does a nice swap for AD, Solo contract is released, sets us up for the future. For the knicks they get AD and they still have a number of 2nd round picks. With the potential of KD and Kyrie they will be cap tight for several years anyway so additional 1st round picks will only complicate things. They might as well take the chance and grab AD while the window is open and make a run for the chip before we are up and running....cause its game over then.

lets go.
    Last edited by Pels4Life; 05-24-2019 at 12:43 PM.

If AD is gone, our clock is right back to 0 so moving Hill isn't ultra important other than if it's needed to match salaries. We can just let him expire with no real detriment.

That's not to say we shouldn't make it a condition of said hypothetical trade

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Here's a hot take, no idea how popular or unpopular it is:

Hayward was never that great. He was just the best scorer on a team that was desperate for offensive players. He wasn't awful either, but there are heaps of players who would have been just as successful in Utah as he was.
    Well, it literally is the definition of a hot take.

Not sure what "not that Great" means. He is better than good & IMHO, would fit pretty well w/ contract, timeline & personality.

Throw in some recency bias for good measure

I would do something like this....

Pels trade: AD + Solo

Knicks trade:
    - 2019 1st round 3rd pick (we pick RJ Barrett)
    - 2020 1st round pick (Knicks received from Hornets) *could be a lotto pick*
    - 2021 1st round pick (Knicks are receiving from Mavs as the option is open when Mavs complete their trade with Atlanta this draft)
    - Kevin Knox
    - Mitchell Robinson

This trade builds a young core, does a nice swap for AD, Solo contract is released, sets us up for the future. For the knicks they get AD and they still have a number of 2nd round picks. With the potential of KD and Kyrie they will be cap tight for several years anyway so additional 1st round picks will only complicate things. They might as well take the chance and grab AD while the window is open.

lets go.
    How good is that Dallas pick gonna be? Im kinda thinking that Doncic & Porzingas are gonne bump that team quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Well, it literally is the definition of a hot take.

Not sure what "not that Great" means. He is better than good & IMHO, would fit pretty well w/ contract, timeline & personality.
    I'm not too committed to it, I haven't done a HUGE amount of research into the deeper analytics or anything so I could be easily wrong. Maybe his synergy stats and his PPP stuff is off the charts, but he just never blew me away to watch him play, and looking at his more surface numbers doesn't knock my socks off either.

His final year in Utah, which was his best year, had him averaging pretty much 22/5/3.5, on around 47% from the floor and 39% from 3. His net rating was +12. PER of 22.2, WS/48 of .199, BPM of 4.2. All of that is pretty good, but doesn't blow anything away. The only obvious, conventional stat that he really excelled in was his VORP, which was 4.0 and is roughly equal to Kemba Walker's this year, who I think we would probably agree is a very good player but is not in top tier of superstars.

He was an above average player, sure, but was he $30+m per year good? Nah. That's what I mean by not that great. Definitely above average. Certainly capable. But people were acting like Boston had snatched him from Utah in a master-move, when in reality all they did was pay a bit too much for a second tier star. Would be the third best player on a championship team, at most.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Throw in some recency bias for good measure
    That could be part of it, sure. He's been useless for 2 years so I wouldn't be surprised if that kind of colours my memories.

This would be my absolute dream offseason:

Brooklyn: AD

Pelicans: Sign & trade De’Angelo Russell, Caris LeVert, Jarrett Allen, Indiana’s SG/SF Romeo Langford(the 17th pick) or Kentucky’s SF/SG Keldon Johnson & LSU PF/C Naz Reid(the 27th pick)

We draft Purdue G Carsen Edwards at 37 and UCLA PG Jaylen Hands at 57.

C: Allen, Okafor
    PF: Zion, Reid (a big PF that can also play center would be a perfect backup to Zion)
    SF: LeVert, Langford or Johnson (either wing would be the player I would hope the Nets take at 17 if he makes it there)
    SG: Jrue, Moore, Edwards
    PG: Russell, Hands

I would take those 5 players for AD and be extremely happy. So hopefully the Nets would take those 2 if available. Then hopefully we get some decent players in the 2nd round. A backup point guard would be nice and I would love the best player available at whatever position at 37. I like Edwards as a Lou Williams type guard that would fit in nice with a bigger point guard like Russell. I didn’t list all the players we have either, mainly just the offseason additions.

This doesn’t even include any free agent signings. I wouldn’t mind bringing back Payton to be our backup point guard if the moneys right.
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 05-24-2019 at 12:31 PM.

Pelicans: Sign & trade De’Angelo Russell, Caris LeVert, Jarrett Allen, Indiana’s SG/SF Romeo Langford(the 17th pick) & LSU PF/C Naz Reid(the 27th pick)

PF: Zion, Reid (a big PF that can also play center would be a perfect backup to Zion)
    SF: LeVert, Langford (he would be the guy I would hope the Nets take at 17 if he makes it there)

I would take those 5 players for AD and be extremely happy. So hopefully the Nets would take those 2 if available. Then hopefully we get some decent players in the 2nd round. A backup point guard would be nice and I would love the best player available at whatever position at 37. I like Edwards as a Lou Williams type guard that would fit in nice with a bigger point guard like Russell. I didn’t list all the players we have either, mainly just the offseason additions.

This doesn’t even include any free agent signings. I wouldn’t mind bringing back Payton to be our backup point guard if the moneys right.
    Naz Reid is never going to make an NBA roster. Langford is a GOD AWFUL shooter. I dont know how much youve watched Carson Edwards, but he's certainly NOT a Lou Williams comparison.
    Edwards is the spitting image of Allen Iverson. Small, ball dominant, volume shooter.

Yea i dont think the dallas picks from ny may be the quality of 2019 and 2020 picks and really more to stretch the negotiation...but you never know they could fall on their face and end up well for us. There is also the option of grabbing some of their second picks to make up the difference. At some point however they will only go so far to make a deal.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Draft Day goes something like this...

Pelicans take Zion
    Grizzlies take Ja
    Knicks take RJ
    Lakers take Garland
    Cavs take Culver
    Suns take White
    Bulls take Reddish

We have a trade...!!

Pels get Garland, Reddish, Otto, Kuzma, 2020 Lakers and 2022 Lakers
    Bulls get Ingram, Ball, Moore and Solo
    Lakers get Anthony Davis

We roll into free agency with...

Garland/Frank
    Jrue/Reddish
    Otto/Kenrich
    Zion/Kuzma
    Wood/Okafor/Diallo

Otto gives you a plug and play wing, but also his big contract expires long before we have to pay 2nd contracts on our 3 rookies, which means we can have flexibility to pivot once we have a better idea of how to maximize Zion/Garland and what Reddish becomes as an NBA player.

Garland, because of his outside shooting off the dribble, is the ideal PG to pair with Jrue and Zion. Reddish is a flyer on a guy who could be an All Star at a position that isn’t very deep. Or he could be a bust. But IMO, he’s worth the gamble. If he’s your 3rd first round pick, and the other two are Zion and Garland, he’s not going to get Griff fired.

(This concludes my TED talk)

Yea i dont think the dallas picks from ny may be the quality of 2019 and 2020 picks and really more to stretch the negotiation...but you never know they could fall on their face and end up well for us. There is also the option of grabbing some of their second picks to make up the difference. At some point however they will only go so far to make a deal.
    I'm a little more optimistic than most about the Dallas picks. Sure, they have Doncic and Porzingis, but Porzingis has been seriously injured to the point where he's barely played in 2 seasons. I'd be pretty surprised if he came back at all-star level, and given the number of injuries he's had already, it wouldn't be too shocking if there was another in his future.

And even if Porzingis does come back well, how good are Dallas with Doncic and Porzingis? They've always struggled to bring free agents to the Mavericks and with how good the West is right now, I could easily see them missing the playoffs for a while still.

I'm a little more optimistic than most about the Dallas picks. Sure, they have Doncic and Porzingis, but Porzingis has been seriously injured to the point where he's barely played in 2 seasons. I'd be pretty surprised if he came back at all-star level, and given the number of injuries he's had already, it wouldn't be too shocking if there was another in his future.

And even if Porzingis does come back well, how good are Dallas with Doncic and Porzingis? They've always struggled to bring free agents to the Mavericks and with how good the West is right now, I could easily see them missing the playoffs for a while still.
    I think the wildcard for dallas is the potential of randle to join them as they have a little money available and he is from dallas....should be interesting.

I think the wildcard for dallas is the potential of randle to join them as they have a little money available and he is from dallas....should be interesting.
    They'll certainly have the money to, they have around $38m in cap this summer. 4 teams have more though, and another 4 teams have basically $30m free too. Sure, KD, Kyrie, and Kawhi are all on the market, but that's only 3 top flight free agents with 9 teams around that have plenty of money. I wouldn't be surprised if someone else like maybe Sacramento was willing to throw him big cash that he'd prefer to take.

They'll certainly have the money to, they have around $38m in cap this summer. 4 teams have more though, and another 4 teams have basically $30m free too. Sure, KD, Kyrie, and Kawhi are all on the market, but that's only 3 top flight free agents with 9 teams around that have plenty of money. I wouldn't be surprised if someone else like maybe Sacramento was willing to throw him big cash that he'd prefer to take.
    That is a good point but I can see him wanting to move closer to home and play with a young fresh crew. However, if I was Randle id stay where im succeeding and enjoy the c run we about to go on in the future.

That is a good point but I can see him wanting to move closer to home and play with a young fresh crew. However, if I was Randle id stay where im succeeding and enjoy the c run we about to go on in the future.
    Randle isn't staying here, imo. We don't have much money once everything is said and done, and unless he wants to hang around for $10m or so, he's gone. Besides, he's kind of made redundant by Zion, who is a similar player in a lot of ways but just a lot better.

Pelicans: Sign & trade De’Angelo Russell, Caris LeVert, Jarrett Allen, Indiana’s SG/SF Romeo Langford(the 17th pick) or Kentucky’s SF/SG Keldon Johnson & LSU PF/C Naz Reid(the 27th pick)

SF: LeVert, Langford or Johnson (either wing would be the player I would hope the Nets take at 17 if he makes it there)

Boy I would be pissed if this happened. Almost all of the guys drafted you mentioned lack basketball IQ and mental toughness.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Thread Information