Pelicans Report

Page 26 of 127 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 36 76 126 ... LastLast

Thread: AD trade scenarios...

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Not sure why people think the deal has to be done before the draft. Parameters of a deal outlined with several teams? Sure.

The 4 biggest deals in recent memory (off the top of my head) - Kyrie Irving, Kevin Love, Paul George, and Kawhi Leonard - I don't believe done until after the draft. The Pels might really like Reddish, Sekou, Bol, or Rui. Or just Guy XYZ. If that player falls to 14, that makes the Celtics offer more enticing right? Conversely, if none of the guys you're really targeting fall to 14, it makes the Celtics offer less enticing. Same thing with any trade that involves the Lakers pick, Suns pick, or Bulls pick (via Lonzo trade). If Culver falls to 6 of 7, and Pels have him rated as a top 3 player doesn't that make certain offers move valuable?

In theory, Griffin can control multiple picks in the draft just by telling other GMs the players he'd want in an AD trade, and telling other teams they're going to make their decision on an AD trade at the end of the night. The Lakers, Knicks and Celtics can't afford to not play along.
    No GM worth their salt is going to make picks specifically with another team in mind if there is no reasonable expectation for them to believe that their deal is the one that will be made. Now, I'm fully willing to accept that the Suns/Knicks/Lakers GMs are terrible so maybe they would, but I wouldn't be putting any bets on that.

If the Pels have their hearts set on Reddish then we need to fire Langdon already cause that would be a tremendous failure of scouting.

If you disagree then that's fine, but I'm making my prediction pretty clear: if a deal isn't at least agreed upon with another team by the night of the draft itself, then AD will be on the roster for game 1 of next season.
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    If you disagree then that's fine, but I'm making my prediction pretty clear: if a deal isn't at least agreed upon with another team by the night of the draft itself, then AD will be on the roster for game 1 of next season.
    Your prediction is worth less than the paper it’s printed on LOL!

I think we’ll know before the draft is over if a deal has been agreed to. We could know next week for all I know! But I’m not sure how we’ll find out when the deal was actually agreed to. A deal with the Celtics or any other team might not be agreed to until that team is on the clock, and Griff essentially wants to make their pick for them.

Your prediction is worth less than the paper it’s printed on LOL!

I think we’ll know before the draft is over if a deal has been agreed to. We could know next week for all I know! But I’m not sure how we’ll find out when the deal was actually agreed to. A deal with the Celtics or any other team might not be agreed to until that team is on the clock, and Griff essentially wants to make their pick for them.
    It's not printed on anything, this is a website.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    AaaaaHA.

AaaaaHA.

...we get to go McDonalds
    Bringing this back to trade scenarios. The worst asset in the NBA is John Wall. So they may be the best trade partner. What does everyone think of a trade with a framework of:

Lakers: AD and John Wall

Wizards: 4th pick, Kyle Kuzma, Solomon Hill plus big Laker expirings

Pelicans: Beal, Ingram, Ball, 9th pick, future Laker picks, future Wizards pick in 2021 with light protection

It passes nba trade site but I think some finessing is needed

Quote Originally Posted by Primetime View Post
    Bringing this back to trade scenarios. The worst asset in the NBA is John Wall. So they may be the best trade partner. What does everyone think of a trade with a framework of:

Pelicans: Beal, Ingram, Ball, 9th pick, future Laker picks, future Wizards pick in 2021 with light protection

I think it's a hard no from both other teams. Way too much.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    I'd also be surprised if "the" trade doesn't happen on draft night. This is going to be the most interesting Pels draft ever.

I would totally print the post out and take a picture of it but this site gives me SO much trouble attaching images.

That reminds me, donate to the site!

Quote Originally Posted by Primetime View Post

Now that's an interesting one. Wow. And if we could flip Ball to the Bulls, you could add a top 10 pick to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Biasvasospasm View Post
    Why would the Lakers say 'no' to that? They get Wall AND Davis. Becoming an instant contender.

And the Wizards could possibly see that as an opportunity to rebuild if they think Wall is gone, anyways. I doubt they throw their future pick in.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 05-25-2019 at 10:13 PM.

To anyone like Danny Ainge who might be unsure of giving up everything for AD.

Take a look at the Raptors to find out what happens when you upgrade to a top 5 player. Even if Kawhi leaves this summer, Toronto would do that trade again 10 times out of 10.

To anyone like Danny Ainge who might be unsure of giving up everything for AD.

Take a look at the Raptors to find out what happens when you upgrade to a top 5 player. Even if Kawhi leaves this summer, Toronto would do that trade again 10 times out of 10.
    Davis is at least 1 tier (imo 2 tiers) below Leonard.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Now that's an interesting one. Wow. And if we could flip Ball to the Bulls, you could add a top 10 pick to that.

Why would the Lakers say 'no' to that? They get Wall AND Davis. Becoming an instant contender.

And the Wizards could possibly see that as an opportunity to rebuild if they think Wall is gone, anyways. I doubt they throw their future pick in.
    Because it's an open question whether John Wall is going to ever be good at basketball again ever and is on a super max. Come on.

lol
    Leonard's impact on the game has only been bested by one player in the last decade and that's LeBron James. Davis is no where near that caliber of player. Davis is only 2 years younger and has 1 less year of experience so that's not any excuse for being that far behind Leonard.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    More I look into things, the more I really, really like Shae Gilgeous-Alexander.

Not at the time of the trade for Leonard. He was a guy who basically didn't play for a season due to injury. AD's value is as high if not higher than Leonard's at the time of the trade.

...we get to go McDonalds
    Quote Originally Posted by Biasvasospasm View Post
    If you strip out the future picks, I think the wizards are a certain yes. Getting out from Walls contract is huge and you get to start anew with #4 pick and Kuzma. That doesn’t sound great but you’re not on the hook for a dead 40mil/year. The issue with the trade is clearly the Lakers who would likely rather wait a year and sign AD. But the point remains that if Lakers need to have AD now cause Lebrons time is ticking, they have to swallow pricey liabilities to make it work.

Leonard's impact on the game has only been bested by one player in the last decade and that's LeBron James. Davis is no where near that caliber of player. Davis is only 2 years younger and has 1 less year of experience so that's not any excuse for being that far behind Leonard.
    Kawhi Leonard is a wing player, and in this league it is far easier for a wing to make an impact than a big in 2019. That's why the best players in the playoffs always seem to end up being wings. Lebron, KD, Kawhi. Paul George was better than Westbrook. It goes back for several years.

But in terms of pure basketball ability, Anthony Davis giving full effort isn't clearly below anybody. Peak AD is as good as anyone else in this league, with no exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Not at the time of the trade for Leonard. He was a guy who basically didn't play for a season due to injury. AD's value is as high if not higher than Leonard's at the time of the trade.
    This is a fair assessment. Leonard's injury situation was messy on several levels.

Kawhi Leonard is a wing player, and in this league it is far easier for a wing to make an impact than a big in 2019. That's why the best players in the playoffs always seem to end up being wings. Lebron, KD, Kawhi. Paul George was better than Westbrook. It goes back for several years.

But in terms of pure basketball ability, Anthony Davis giving full effort isn't clearly below anybody. Peak AD is as good as anyone else in this league, with no exceptions.
    Whether it's position or skill you feel comfortable in making deep playoff runs with Leonard. Your not even sure if you'll make the playoffs with Davis.

Whether it's position or skill you feel comfortable in making deep playoff runs with Leonard. Your not even sure if you'll make the playoffs with Davis.
    Which isn't the point I was making. There's context to consider. Lebron didn't make the playoffs this year, Blake Griffin did. There's still only one answer as to who's the superior player. It's a similar thing with Davis. His position limits his impact in an era of basketball where they have done everything possible to marginalise the big man. But in terms of pure ability, on both ends of the court, there's nobody who is head and shoulders above him.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    More I look into things, the more I really, really like Shae Gilgeous-Alexander.
    Welcome to the bandwagon. He's one of my favorite young guys.

I like the combo of SGA and Shamet about as much as any other headliners discussed, but I don’t know if the Clippers have enough other assets to pull it off. Also, they are in the West and I have already expressed my preference to trade AD to the East, if possible.

The value of an undisputed #1 pick is at an alltime high around draft night, maybe it's a good idea to capitalize on that?

How about Karl-Anthony Towns? Just look at this year's numbers (quite amazing):

Karl-Anthony Towns 24.4 PTS/ 12.4 REB / 3.4 AST / 1.6 BLK, while shooting: 56 (2FG%) / 40 (3FG%) / 84 (FT%) = 62,2 TS%

Group of players (FGM>8 and TS%>60%): Antetokounmpo, Curry, Durant, Towns, Harden, Leonard
    Group of players (PPG>20, REB>10, BLK>1): Antetokounmpo, Embiid, Davis, Towns, Vucevic
    Group of players (2FG%>52, 3FG%>37, FGA>12): Curry, Bogdanovic, Towns, Irving, Harris, Leonard

With the failed Butler experience and the stagnation of Wiggins, I'm sure Minnesota knows they aren't contending any time soon. With Zion they create a new window, before they're pushed into the position of having to sell Towns anyway (like Davis). The Pelicans could build around Tatum and Towns, who're both versatile scorers inside and outside, and have potential to get better on defense.

Idea for a three-way-trade:

New Orleans Pelicans
    in: Towns, Covington, Tatum, Smart, Williams, Memphis pick
    out: Davis, Hill, #1 pick

Boston Celtics
    in: Davis
    out: Tatum, Smart, Williams, Yabusele, #20 pick, Memphis pick

Minnesota Timberwolves
    in: Hill, Yabusele, #1 pick, #20 pick
    out: Towns, Covington

New Pelicans rotation (you can stay just under the luxury tax):

PG: Smart, Payton (re-sign), Jackson
    SG: Holiday, Moore, #39 Windler
    SF: Tatum, Covington, K.Williams
    PF: Randle (re-sign), Wood, Diallo
    C: Towns, Okafor, R.Williams
    Last edited by RodyTur10; 05-27-2019 at 02:15 PM.

Thread Information