.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20
Results 476 to 500 of 500

Thread: AD trade scenarios...

  1. #476
    Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Landon made a comment that pretty much said we're gonna build with young talent and not fish for the big free agents. I wouldn't go after Kyrie anyway but I like what he said about building for the future.
    If signing Kyrie means keeping Davis, then I will do it 10/10 times. An Irving, Holiday, Zion, AD, shooters off the bench = championship.

    Especially if KD leaves, then the West is wide open.

  2. #477
    sounds to me like the pelicans wanna build thru young players and the draft

  3. #478
    Hollygrove 4 Life DroopyDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Too far from Home
    Posts
    5,841
    Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    sounds to me like the pelicans wanna build thru young players and the draft
    Pretty much...

    “Sure, we want to win, but want to build this organization the right way, with the right people, and have sustainable excellence,” Langdon said, alluding to some of the discussion he had with Griffin and owner Gayle Benson about the Pelicans’ direction. “That’s something I think is important. I don’t think you can be in a win-now mode, when you have to develop a culture and there are a lot of things that need to be done, bringing in the right people on the bus and making sure we’re headed in the right direction. I think you can’t skip steps. If you look back, a lot of organizations when they try to skip steps, it puts them behind.”

    Langdon also emphasized the importance of developing players internally and identifying contributors who have the potential to improve, something that will be part of the Pelicans’ philosophy.
    https://www.nba.com/pelicans/news/ne...ble-excellence

  4. #479
    Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post

    It's contradicting, though. Landon says they want to build the team young and thru the draft. But how do you build a young team while also wanting to keep a veteran like AD and pursuing to have him stay?

  5. #480
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyHornetsWhy View Post
    A few trades and moves here and there would free up more space, though. Randel opting out and such. Skip said we'd have around 25-30M.
    Skip is incorrect.

    The salary cap is $109m. Minus Randle's $9m, plus the 120% of the rookie scale contract that Zion will get at around $10m. AD's contract included, or roughly equal to AD's contract taken back in trade puts us at around $90m. Then you have cap holds which add up to around another $4 or $5m, I forget exactly. That's pretty much around $95m of the cap taken up, out of $109m. Leaves us with somewhere in the region of $15m.

    Plus, signing Kyrie even if we did have the money would be a bad idea because he's a ball dominant, score first PG who is a bad leader, a bad influence on youth, and an locker room malcontent.
    Watching Pelicans games is what Georges Bataille meant by limit experiences.

  6. #481
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyHornetsWhy View Post
    It's contradicting, though. Landon says they want to build the team young and thru the draft. But how do you build a young team while also wanting to keep a veteran like AD and pursuing to have him stay?
    i'm sure he wants to keep AD just like I wanna win the lottery, would be nice, but not gonna happen.

  7. #482
    Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Maybe Dallas screwed the Hawks by only giving up a top 5 protected 1 (this year's) to move up 2 spots, so I'm basing my idea on that trade. But man I'm more excited about the haul we're getting for AD than I am knowing that we'll get Zion.
    You would have to look at what they're getting in return..

    DSJ is just an average player, and you're pretty much tying AD to the trade, so they would have to assume the pick will be a non lottery pick, which drops that future pick value ALOT..

    Everyone assumed Dallas would be one of the worst teams again this season, therefore their pick holds alot more value..

    The same applies to LAL pick

  8. #483
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyHornetsWhy View Post
    It's contradicting, though. Landon says they want to build the team young and thru the draft. But how do you build a young team while also wanting to keep a veteran like AD and pursuing to have him stay?
    Anthony Davis is barely 26 years old, and he was drafted by this team. He is young, home-grown talent.

  9. #484
    I tell the Knicks if you want AD, find a way to get another top 7 pick, whatever you gotta do.

    Zion at 1, Barrett at 3, and either Reddish, Culver, or Hunter at 5, 6, or 7.

  10. #485
    Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Well I wonder if they offered DSJ, Knox, Mitchell Robinson and the Dallas 1st next year, I bet they would listen then. We would then have to run with Okafor at center or sign a free agent one, but i have no idea if any decent ones are available.
    They would listen, but they would still hang up the phone..

    You're offering quantity rather than quality, much like LAL tried to do with us last year for AD

  11. #486
    AD is absolutely worth the #3 and #5 pick, and mitchell robinson, actually he's worth more, but I just dont think its possible.

  12. #487
    Hollygrove 4 Life DroopyDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Too far from Home
    Posts
    5,841
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyHornetsWhy View Post
    It's contradicting, though. Landon says they want to build the team young and thru the draft. But how do you build a young team while also wanting to keep a veteran like AD and pursuing to have him stay?
    Someone on TV said it best... you take that meeting with AD... knowing full well that he's gonna still ask to be traded. That way you "save face" and show everyone that hey.. we tried to keep him and he still wants out. ANd you trade him for young players and asets that you can develop.

    Even if AD says that he wants to stay its not like you're bringing in a guy from outside of the organization. The Pelicans developed AD into who he is... and he's still 26 years old. He can grow with Zion and the other young players that they bring in.

    Either way we're in a win-win. We can't go wrong by trading him, and we can't go wrong by keeping him.

  13. #488
    the sad part is AD is worth the #1 pick this year, and the #1 pick next year, but we won't get that kind of value because he wants to leave and wont sign an extension with certain teams. Really disliking him.

  14. #489
    Any benefit of keeping AD and trading him prior to the deadline? I am all about a clean start but didn't know if there may be a benefit to this...I just do not see any however.

  15. #490
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoochican View Post
    Any benefit of keeping AD and trading him prior to the deadline? I am all about a clean start but didn't know if there may be a benefit to this...I just do not see any however.
    Not that I can think of. Cuts his time with a new team short, makes him less likely to resign so they'll be less likely to give up key assets. Also keeps the drama around the team as well as the uncertainty, no need for that. Don't want to bring that in to the new era.

  16. #491
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoochican View Post
    Any benefit of keeping AD and trading him prior to the deadline? I am all about a clean start but didn't know if there may be a benefit to this...I just do not see any however.
    If AD opted into his final year, yeah there would be some benefit to that. However assuming he doesn't, no there isn't really any benefit.

    You could argue it allows him to get a taste of playing next to Zion but the risk is far too great without him opting in.

  17. #492
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    If AD opted into his final year, yeah there would be some benefit to that. However assuming he doesn't, no there isn't really any benefit.

    You could argue it allows him to get a taste of playing next to Zion but the risk is far too great without him opting in.
    I don't see AD opting in for any reason. He's due so much because of the supermax clause if he stays and he's still due a big raise if he opts out where he's traded to. Unless there's something I'm over looking it's in Davis' best interest to opt out under all circumstances.

  18. #493
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I don't see AD opting in for any reason. He's due so much because of the supermax clause if he stays and he's still due a big raise if he opts out where he's traded to. Unless there's something I'm over looking it's in Davis' best interest to opt out under all circumstances.
    Well the main benefit to AD is that no other team can offer him the supermax so if he's willing to opt into his final year (at an extremely high number anyway) and he ends up liking what he sees then he gets to sign for the supermax and make even more money than he could elsewhere.

    It would allow AD to basically give the team a year to convince him. I mean if he's already willing to give up millions in the supermax it's not that far out there to assume he'd think about opting into his final year and give up a few million for one season with the prospect of making 20m more over the next 4.

    Keep in mind I'm not arguing that's what he will or should do. I'm just answering the question of what would be the benefit of AD playing with the team next year. The benefit is he could make tens of millions more if he likes it here and signs the supermax.

  19. #494
    Honestly I don’t want AD to stay, even if he changes his mind.

  20. #495
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Well the main benefit to AD is that no other team can offer him the supermax so if he's willing to opt into his final year (at an extremely high number anyway) and he ends up liking what he sees then he gets to sign for the supermax and make even more money than he could elsewhere.

    It would allow AD to basically give the team a year to convince him. I mean if he's already willing to give up millions in the supermax it's not that far out there to assume he'd think about opting into his final year and give up a few million for one season with the prospect of making 20m more over the next 4.

    Keep in mind I'm not arguing that's what he will or should do. I'm just answering the question of what would be the benefit of AD playing with the team next year. The benefit is he could make tens of millions more if he likes it here and signs the supermax.
    One more advantage for AD and the Pels if he opts in and signs supermax next season, is that the supermax wont hit the books until the 2021-22 season, and with Moore and Hill dropping off the books, we could go into 20-21 with a max slot available, even though it will be a weak FA class

  21. #496
    The Knicks guys are so young and have played on such a a bad team, it's hard to know what their true potential might be. Going just by the numbers to date, you wouldn't value them very highly, but, again, we've seen numerous examples of young guys getting washed out too soon. The best sample size is probably on Smith, Jr. going back to his days with the Mavs where he started as a rookie and showed potential before falling out of favor with Rick Carlisle, which doesn't seem that hard for a player to do. He's a great athlete and actually distributes the ball ok, but his outside shooting is a question mark (red flagged by a low FT % as well). Robinson has the look of an an aggressive, athletic rim defender/runner, but doesn't give you any shooting threat at all and that may be a no go for a pairing with Zion. Knox has the size and the physical tools, but didn't really put it together in his rookie campaign, so that's a pure potential play. Obviously the best asset you'd get in the Knicks deal is the 3rd overall pick this year + future Dallas/Knicks first rounders. Of course it's possible all these guys might benefit from playing in Gentry's fast-paced system and with a veteran like Holiday, but no question that they are less proven commodities than even the Lakers' young guys. Glad we have Griff and Langdon on board to make these evaluations. I'm happy to roll with their judgement on these players' potential...

  22. #497
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Anthony Davis is barely 26 years old, and he was drafted by this team. He is young, home-grown talent.
    But I made a statement that we should go after Kyrie, and got a reply saying that Griffin and Lang is wanting to go young instead.

    Kyrie is only 27.

    So, I had to make a comment questioning on why are we trying to keep AD then if he's a veteran if we were looking to go young?

    So, age really isn't the issue.

  23. #498
    There are 7 players who are a cut above everyone in this draft, actually I take it back there are tiers, but after those 7 I feel it drops tremendously.

    Tier 1
    Zion

    Tier 2
    Morant
    Barrett

    Tier 3
    Garland
    Reddish
    Hunter
    Culver

  24. #499
    The Franchise
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Kaplan, LA
    Posts
    1,711
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyHornetsWhy View Post
    But I made a statement that we should go after Kyrie, and got a reply saying that Griffin and Lang is wanting to go young instead.

    Kyrie is only 27.

    So, I had to make a comment questioning on why are we trying to keep AD then if he's a veteran if we were looking to go young?

    So, age really isn't the issue.
    There is a way to get Kyrie. Have to move hill, Moore, and renounce most of our players (anyone not named Jrue, Frank, woods, Okafor, Davis, and Zion). We’d have roughly 39 million and have the MLE so it’s looks possible. I wouldn’t be opposed to this kind of move. Kyrie, Jrue, Davis, and Zion is pretty good start to finishing 5.

  25. #500
    Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    There are 7 players who are a cut above everyone in this draft, actually I take it back there are tiers, but after those 7 I feel it drops tremendously.

    Tier 1
    Zion

    Tier 2
    Morant
    Barrett

    Tier 3
    Garland
    Reddish
    Hunter
    Culver
    I'm similar but I'd put it something like this:

    Zion............................
    Morant..
    RJ......
    Culver, Garland, Hunter..
    The rest

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 5 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 4 guests)

  1. AUSSIE_PELICAN

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •