Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2019-2020 Season/Playoffs

Pelicans 2019-2020 Season/Playoffs

So I think I can speak for everyone when I say that this offseason went better than all of our expectations. Obviously, landing Zion is amazing. However, what DG has been able to pull off via AD has be ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE!

Looking at the team we have put together:

C: Favors, Okafor, Hayes
    PF: Zion,Wood, Melli
    SF: Ingram, Hart, Moore, Kenrich
    SG: Jrue, Redick, NAW
    PG: Ball, Jackson

Do we have a chance at making the playoffs next year? As great as our offseason has been, the west has gotten even stronger this year. This is a whole new team and there is a lot of questions that need to be answered. How well will Zion play? Will the ex Lakers stay healthy? What kind of system will we run?

Looking at it from an early perspective in the west:

Will make Playoffs:
    Golden State
    Los Angeles (only a guarantee if they get Kawai) - If not IDK who the heck they are going to sign at this point
    Denver
    OKC
    Portland
    Utah
    Houston

This leaves 1 or 2 spots to be had in the west depending on what the Lakers are able to do.

Fighting for the 1 - 2 playoff sports:
    Pelicans
    Clippers
    Kings
    Timberwolves
    Mavericks
    Spurs

Out of these teams, I only see the Kings, Mavericks, and the Spurs being an issue.

Do you think we make the playoffs? I think we make it as the 7 seed and have the possibility to come out of the first round. Should be an exciting season no matter what!

Do we make the playoffs? Do we make it out of the first round?

Your thoughts?

I'm not convinced the Thunder are a lock to make the playoffs, if it's a situation like 18 where 3-10 are just a few games a apart I could easily see them being in the outside looking in

Quote Originally Posted by SunshinePumper View Post
    I'm not convinced the Thunder are a lock to make the playoffs, if it's a situation like 18 where 3-10 are just a few games a apart I could easily see them being in the outside looking in
    I'm.not convinced Golden State are a playoff team, tbh.

Obviously we're very early into free agency, lots of stuff could change, but as of today only

Denver, Portland, Utah, and Houston

Are playoff locks IMO.
    Basketball.

Basketball Guru
    utah
    lakers( if kawhi goes there)
    portland
    houston
    denver
    kings
    okc
    pelicans

AD's interview was a clown show. Talking about building a legacy was more important than money. Yet, you teaming up with Lebron in a dysfunctional organization makes you look like a beta. You better hope that you get Kawhi.

I think we can win it all. Thats my story and im sticking to it.

This is young team and i don't think we can make it. I will be happy if we are in contention.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

Obviously we're very early into free agency, lots of stuff could change, but as of today only

Are playoff locks IMO.
    Agreed

Are playoff locks IMO.
    I agree but depending when they get klay back, its the old GS team that won championships before KD. However, they have DLO so they are technically better.

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    utah
    lakers( if kawhi goes there)
    portland
    houston
    denver
    kings
    okc
    pelicans
    I think thats pretty dang accurate! Hopefully we can get the 7th seed and the Lakers dont land Kawai.

Quote Originally Posted by HartOfaPelican View Post
    I agree but depending when they get klay back, its the old GS team that won championships before KD. However, they have DLO so they are technically better.
    They're not predicted to get Klay back until February at the earliest. I'm working on that assumption.

Also remember that before KD, they won ONE championship, not championshipS, plural. That 2015 championship team without KD also had plenty of depth. Depth they were able to pay because Curry was on a budget contract and was taking far less money than he was worth. Now Curry is being paid big time, and they are absolutely hard capped. They have no KD, no Klay until at least February, and no money to flesh out the roster.

Curry/Dlo/Green is absolutely NOT better than Curry/Klay/Green/2015 Iguodala/Barnes/Livingston/David Lee/Barbosa.

It’s very interesting. EVERY SINGLE sports morning show this morning still say (emphatically) that the pelicans are still not a playoff team.

Is there something I’m missing. I think we are definetly a contender for the 7th and 8th seed with the potential to surprise some people and maybe get the 5tj or 6th.

It’s very interesting. EVERY SINGLE sports morning show this morning still say (emphatically) that the pelicans are still not a playoff team.

Is there something I’m missing. I think we are definetly a contender for the 7th and 8th seed with the potential to surprise some people and maybe get the 5tj or 6th.
    It's just the large market market that survive on large market viewership wanting small market to be bad farm teams. They speak things into existence and would be a big blow to the Lakers fan base fragile psyche if the Pelicans became overnight contender with players that they couldn't win with...

Doesnt matter what the media says. Their job is to create and report things that lead to drama and to pick up big markets. So with that said, I think we're a 7th seed with the roster we have. However, I think DG & Langdon did a terrific job on finding players that fit into Gentry's fast paced system PERFECTLY! So talent wise, we're a 7th seed team but, If the team meshes well and does Gentry' s schemes to the T, we'll be a sleeper 4th or 5th seed this season. Then who know what we could be the next year!

Quote Originally Posted by hornetzplaya View Post
    Doesnt matter what the media says. Their job is to create and report things that lead to drama and to pick up big markets. So with that said, I think we're a 7th seed with the roster we have. However, I think DG & Langdon did a terrific job on finding players that fit into Gentry's fast paced system PERFECTLY! So talent wise, we're a 7th seed team but, If the team meshes well and does Gentry' s schemes to the T, we'll be a sleeper 4th or 5th seed this season. Then who know what we could be the next year!
    I could not agree more. I know we’re all biased as Pelicans fans, but I see great potential in this team.

Call me crazy, but I think if the Lakers don’t get Kawai they will not make the playoffs. We will. Would make for a great regular season.

We're in a weird spot.

I could easily see us making the playoffs. There are not 8 clearly superior teams in the West. There are only maybe 4 teams that, right now, are definitively better than us.

But it all depends on how quickly chemistry comes together, how quickly our youth develops, etc.

If we hit the ground running in game one, with Zion being an instant dominator, Lonzo and Ingram both healthy and having made some of those improvements we're hoping for, Jrue in full health, and with Favors and Redick slotting in perfectly in their roles, we could be even as good as a top 4 seed this year.

But if the season starts, and it takes Zion until Christmas to really adjust to the NBA, and Lonzo or Ingram miss time due to injury again, or Favors doesn't really work in terms of fit, or whatever, then I could easily see us missing the playoffs too. It all depends on how fast we click as a team. Just listing talent doesn't make you a playoff roster.

Potential is unquestionably there, though.

I could not agree more. I know we’re all biased as Pelicans fans, but I see great potential in this team.

Call me crazy, but I think if the Lakers don’t get Kawai they will not make the playoffs. We will. Would make for a great regular season.
    I think a shorter season helps the Lakers more than Kahwi go be honest. Another reason why Kawhi goes to back to the Raptors or Clippers is that they can afford to do load management. Lakers would need him if they have to sign 10 vet mins to fill a roster.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    I think a shorter season helps the Lakers more than Kahwi go be honest. Another reason why Kawhi goes to back to the Raptors or Clippers is that they can afford to do load management. Lakers would need him if they have to sign 10 vet mins to fill a roster.

i think the opposite...i believe lebron and AD can sell him on taking games off because he will have 2 super stars to take on the load when he sit out a game......they tell kawhi what he wants to hear about that its all about the playoffs and they dont have to play a full regular season.....

i think the opposite...i believe lebron and AD can sell him on taking games off because he will have 2 super stars to take on the load when he sit out a game......they tell kawhi what he wants to hear about that its all about the playoffs and they dont have to play a full regular season.....
    They sit Kawhi for more than 10 games and they don't make the playoffs.

Basketball Guru
    They sit Kawhi for more than 10 games and they don't make the playoffs.
    from your fingers to the universe if he sign with them lol.....

Teams that are 3 men deep can't afford to sit guys for 'load management'. Especially in the West. Gonna need at least 70 games from all three guys.

Teams that are 3 men deep can't afford to sit guys for 'load management'. Especially in the West. Gonna need at least 70 games from all three guys.
    And as we all know, AD's "games played" stat is misleading. How many games did he leave due to a first quarter injury like a twisted ankle or hurt finger, then return late in the second half or not at all. Counts as a game.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    And as we all know, AD's "games played" stat is misleading. How many games did he leave due to a first quarter injury like a twisted ankle or hurt finger, then return late in the second half or not at all. Counts as a game.
    But sir... All AD cares about now is winning and legacy. Those chest contusion, sprain pinky, and chest tightness was chasing the money. It's different now since he actually on a team that he wants to play on... For now.

Fun hype video I found on YouTube. Not my content.

https://youtu.be/vk5ufKaa2pE

Enjoy!

I am thinking the roster positions end up falling more like this...

PG: Ball/Hart/NAW
    SG: Holiday/Reddick/Jackson
    SF: Ingram/Moore/Williams
    PF: Williamson/Melli/Wood
    C: Favors/Okafor/Hayes

Thread Information