Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: PELS WIN LOTTERY! Does AD stay?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    No.

Salary Cap is $109

If we keep AD, his contract is guaranteed (obviously), so with AD, Jrue, Hill, Moore, Okafor, Wood, Jackson, and Kenrich, the team will have spent $83m of the $109. Signing Zion wiht the frirst overall pick rookie contract is around $5m, so that's $88m. That leaves us with around $21m. That's not a max contract.

We would have a depth chart like this, in that case.

PG - Frank Jackson
    SG - Jrue/Moore
    SF - Kenrich
    PF - AD/Zion
    C - Okafor/Wood

We would have around $21m free, and need: A point guard, a wing, and another big. If you want that big to be Randle coming back, he's probably costing $13-15m on his own. I think he MLE exists, but it's like what, another $8m?
    Ayton's 1st year salary was $8.2 million last year, so Zion's will be a little higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    2 firsts in 2021. AD is more valuable as a franchise changing MVP candidate in his prime than all that. Wake up!

AD also reals in KD and/or Kyrie!

That is a no brainer for the Knicks.
    Calm down with the wake up stuff.

And the Knicks aren’t giving all that up without an agreement from AD that he will sign an extension, I would love for it to happen though, that Mavericks pick will be a top 3 pick next year

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Ayton's 1st year salary was $8.2 million last year, so Zion's will be a little higher.
    That's fair, I had just looked it up because I didn't know and the only source I could find was from a few seasons ago. Should've just checked Ayton

But yeah that actually means we have like, $3m less than I said.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Calm down with the wake up stuff.

And the Knicks aren’t giving all that up without an agreement from AD that he will sign an extension, I would love for it to happen though, that Mavericks pick will be a top 3 pick next year
    AD is not going to sign an extension with anyone as it would not make financial sense. NY was one of the teams he said he would possibly be interested in signing long term.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    DSJ is the polar opposite of Jrue as a guard, want no part of him. Knox is incredibly raw but has shown flashes and may do better with a more defined role. Mitchell is ridiculously fun to watch and a freak athlete who blocks everything but is also liable to foul out in the first quarter. None of them are blue chips, but they all have potential.
    Thank you sir

Never in NBA history has more then 1 team moved up more then 5 spots. Tonight their was 3 teams who moved up 6 spots.. WoW!!

AD is not going to sign an extension with anyone as it would not make financial sense. NY was one of the teams he said he would possibly be interested in signing long term.
    Ok cool thanks, only problem is I’m not too high on any of the 3 players mentioned in the Knicks trade and I think rj Barrett is overrated, wish the Knicks landed the 2nd overall pick and we could land ja Morant

Also, I forgot about cap holds. Payton, Miller, and Diallo will have about $7m worth of cap holds, I think, so we wouldn't be able to work with that money unless we renounced them, and then we couldn't sign them back.

I think. Cap wizards correct me if I'm wrong there.

Man, I really thought I wanted AD out of here, but put this kid with him and Julius Randle in the front court and... damn.

Last edited by Dr. Sting; 05-14-2019 at 11:36 PM.
    I'm looking for real sports fans...not sheep! Are you with me?!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Never in NBA history has more then 1 team moved up more then 5 spots. Tonight their was 3 teams who moved up 6 spots.. WoW!!
    And who was that previous team who moved up 5 spots?

Also, I forgot about cap holds. Payton, Miller, and Diallo will have about $7m worth of cap holds, I think, so we wouldn't be able to work with that money unless we renounced them, and then we couldn't sign them back.

I think. Cap wizards correct me if I'm wrong there.
    Even if you renounced them, you'd still have cap holds for the first 13 roster spots on the team (meaning all spots not filled would have an imaginary rookie player salary cap hold placed on it). The NBA did this specifically to keep teams from dropping their entire back end of their roster to be able to slip in a max contract.

There might be some cap magic you could work to open up a max slot but it would require trade(s) to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Even if you renounced them, you'd still have cap holds for the first 13 roster spots on the team (meaning all spots not filled would have an imaginary rookie player salary cap hold placed on it). The NBA did this specifically to keep teams from dropping their entire back end of their roster to be able to slip in a max contract.

There might be some cap magic you could work to open up a max slot but it would require trade(s) to get there.
    So yeah, no max for us unless we can somehow work out a way to get someone to take Hill and Moore without us having to give up a bunch of assets, and probably even then it would be difficult.

So yeah, no max for us unless we can somehow work out a way to get someone to take Hill and Moore without us having to give up a bunch of assets, and probably even then it would be difficult.
    I wonder if we could package hill with AD so we could have room for 2 max deals, or if the numbers wouldn’t work because it’s too much money going out

I wonder if we could package hill with AD so we could have room for 2 max deals, or if the numbers wouldn’t work because it’s too much money going out
    Well you have to have money coming back in, in trades. So we could, theoretically, trade basically the entire roster but you'd need near-equivalent salary returning anyway.

We will struggle HARD to open up one max slot, if it can be done at all. Asking for two is pretty much just a no go. It's also not the stage we're at. I think bringing in multiple max players too early can be problematic for the future, as Philly are about to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    And who was that previous team who moved up 5 spots?

Crazy! Didn’t even think about that!

Well you have to have money coming back in, in trades. So we could, theoretically, trade basically the entire roster but you'd need near-equivalent salary returning anyway.

We will struggle HARD to open up one max slot, if it can be done at all. Asking for two is pretty much just a no go. It's also not the stage we're at. I think bringing in multiple max players too early can be problematic for the future, as Philly are about to find out.
    Thanks for the post, I’m terrible with salary cap stuff

Say the Knicks got the number 1 pick amen offered us Zion for AD, we couldnt do it straight up because of salary? I remember other high paid stars like Dwight Howard and other trades just for picks and no salary, how’s that possible?

Say the Knicks got the number 1 pick amen offered us Zion for AD, we couldnt do it straight up because of salary? I remember other high paid stars like Dwight Howard and other trades just for picks and no salary, how’s that possible?
    No, you couldn't do that straight up.

Dwight has been traded a number of times, in different ways. The first time he went to LA, in a four team deal. The magic lost Dwight, and took back Aaron Afflalo, Nikola Vucevic, Al Harrington, and a pick. Then, later, when he went to Houston that was Free Agency. Then to Atlanta was also FA. Then when he got traded from ATL to Charlotte, Atlanta had to take back Marco Bellinelli, and Miles Plumlee. Then when they traded him to Brooklyn, they had to take back Mozgov, and then he signed with Washington in free agency. So every time that Dwight got traded, the team that moved him took back salary.

He is eligible to sign the Supermax this summer, so you would have that commitment before he could walk for nothing. He is clearly worth the Supermax (not that anyone is worth that much money, but in the context of today's NBA).
    There is only one NBA player worth their SuperMax atm... It's Steph Curry.

You guys are sooo short sighted. We need a team before handing out a SuperMax. No team... No chance. We'll end up in the exact same cap & talent situation that we are on the verge of getting out of....

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    There is only one NBA player worth their SuperMax atm... It's Steph Curry.

You guys are sooo short sighted. We need a team before handing out a SuperMax. No team... No chance. We'll end up in the exact same cap & talent situation that we are on the verge of getting out of....

What?! Steph Curry the only player worth a supermax?

In The N.O. Podcast fumbling the ball hard by putting up an after-lottery stream so quickly but then having McNamara on it. May as well not bothered.

Edit: In MM's defense, he was doing pretty well until he said he'd trade Zion for Harden.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 05-15-2019 at 12:41 AM.

What?! Steph Curry the only player worth a supermax?
    Yes, the sure bet HOF, Goat Shooter of all time, 3x champion, 2x MVP, owns NBA records on 3pt shooter, and completely change the game.

What did AD do? Oh yeah... Be soft, score a bunch of points, and lost a lot of games.

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/03/19/nb...l-kemba-walker

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Yes, the sure bet HOF, Goat Shooter of all time, 3x champion, 2x MVP, owns NBA records on 3pt shooter, and completely change the game.

What did AD do? Oh yeah... Be soft, score a bunch of points, and lost a lot of games.

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/03/19/nb...l-kemba-walker
    Listing off Steph's accomplishments is pointless because I don't disagree that he deserves it. I just disagree that he's the ONLY ONE who deserves it.

Kawhi deserved that supermax from San Antonio. He turned it down, but he did deserve it. Giannis will be offered it, and he will deserve it.

Listing off Steph's accomplishments is pointless because I don't disagree that he deserves it. I just disagree that he's the ONLY ONE who deserves it.

Kawhi deserved that supermax from San Antonio. He turned it down, but he did deserve it. Giannis will be offered it, and he will deserve it.
    He said there was not one player in the NBA worth their super max atm outside of Steph and that’s true. Kawhi won’t be under a super max and Giannis currently isn’t as well.

To be clear, you don't have to match salaries in a trade if the other team has enough cap space to just absorb the contracts without going over the cap.

For example: If the Knicks REALLY wanted AD and cared about nothing else they have enough cap space to be able to absorb his contract in and only send picks back. They won't do this because they want to keep their salary to be able to sign players but it could happen.

You only need to match salaries if you're already over the cap or doing the trade will put you over the cap (I'm simplifying here it's more complex but this is the jist).

Thread Information