Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: PELS WIN LOTTERY! Does AD stay?

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    Fine, the only big man on the floor. Whatever. But yes, that is what he should play if he could protect the rim because he can't shoot and surrounding him with 4 shooters would make him basically unstoppable on offense. Also, just thought of Jaren Jackson and now I think that the Grizzlies might be a perfect trade destination if they are willing to give up JJJ and the number 2 pick, although I don't think that's likely since I doubt AD re-signs there.
    He can protect the rim. He's not Dikembe Mutombo but he's a perfectly solid paint defender.
    Basketball.

Pelicans

AD to stay just to not have to play against Zion (lol!). He'd rather play with him than against him.

Also, I just checked: Zion shot 39.6% from three in the final 20 games of his season, stretching from January 5th to March 31st.

There's definitely potential there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    You don't wanna trade Jrue. With that many young guys (Zion, Barrett, Robinson, Knox) on one team then you need a veteran leader who knows how to play properly on both ends of the floor to be their guide and their mentor. Jrue is the PERFECT guy for that. I'm not giving up a bespoke fit mentor and exemplary leader who did so much for our team in exchange for the 9th pick or whatever.
    I can totally agree with that. Plus they need some vet salary right now anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    Fine, the only big man on the floor. Whatever. But yes, that is what he should play if he could protect the rim because he can't shoot and surrounding him with 4 shooters would make him basically unstoppable on offense. Also, just thought of Jaren Jackson and now I think that the Grizzlies might be a perfect trade destination if they are willing to give up JJJ and the number 2 pick, although I don't think that's likely since I doubt AD re-signs there.
    I don't accept your conclusion that Zion has to be the only big man on the floor.

The lowkey wonderful thing about the draft lottery is that the Lakers are behind the Knicks to continue force Lakers to outbid other teams.They would of been sitting pretty at 3rd with the highest quality pick to trade.

I'd get both trade offers on the table and wait till the last minute to pull the trigger. Lakers are so desperate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I don't accept your conclusion that Zion has to be the only big man on the floor.
    Reminder that Zion shot 39.6% from deep in the final 20 of the 32 games he played this year.

He has the potential to stretch the floor too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kexm...ature=youtu.be

Just want to add that according to this new Draft Profile from ESPN on Zion, his wingspan is 6'11.5''

Yeah, it's fine.

This was absolutely perfect. The only way it could have worked out better is if the lakers got the 2

Chose between Ja Morant, Ingram, Ball etc package

Or

Barrett, Mitchell Robinson, DSJ/Knox package.

As it stands in reality, I like the Knicks package best. (Over Lakers and Celtics)

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Reminder that Zion shot 39.6% from deep in the final 20 of the 32 games he played this year.

He has the potential to stretch the floor too.
    It's not even about that. Giannis plays with Niko and Lopez while not being able to shoot a lick from 3pt. Zion is a huge mismatch on the court just like Giannis is so he doesn't hinder your team or force them into needing to only play him as a big man.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    It's not even about that. Giannis plays with Niko and Lopez while not being able to shoot a lick from 3pt. Zion is a huge mismatch on the court just like Giannis is so he doesn't hinder your team or force them into needing to only play him as a big man.
    Oh I know. I didn't even realise how good he was as a shooter and I still wasn't worried because his skillset, like Giannis, is so huge.

But when you realise that actually, there's a little bit of a jumper in there too? Suddenly even the smallest doubts get squashed.

Now that Zion is ours. I 100% do not want AD here. Use him as the chip to build around Zion like we should have with AD.

Move him. Get young assets and picks. Usa a pick to move solo to free up more money. I want Kemba or Vucevic with AD's money. Resign Payton. Let Randle go. Extend Jah.

Iron Lion Zion! Jah!

DSJ
    Jrue
    Barrett
    Knox
    Zion
    Robinson
    Max cap space and beyond to sign players.

I don’t know if knicks would give up all 3 of those guys plus Barrett, but this is an amazing night.

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    I really don't want AD here - now more than ever.

His wingspan still concerns me, and I strongly believe he needs a rim protector next to him, but his athleticism might make up for that so I'll let it go.

But his shooting is a legitimate concern. College 3 point percentage really isn't a great predictor of NBA 3 point percentage, especially on a low number of shots. Zion only took two 3's a game which equates to a total sample size of about 70 shots. Free throw percentage is a much better predictor and he only shot 64% from the line on around 6 FTsper game which is not good. But his shot really worries me. His elbow is cocked all the way to the side, his feet are pointed everywhere, his release takes forever, and his release point is not ideal either. All of this adds up to someone who has a ton of work to do on his jumpshot.

But, to be fair, he doesn't even need a jumpshot to be an all NBA player, as long as he has the right players around him. I don't want it to seem like I'm down on Zion because I am unspeakably excited for him to be here. He's the best prospect since AD and the most unique since LeBron (I see that comp, but I feel like comparing someone to LeBron is just unfair). He's physically impossible and has a sky high basketball IQ. And he cares. And he seems like a good kid. We could not ask for a better player to be coming here. All I'm saying is he's not perfect.

I’m not that hot on Barrett personally, but that is the route I see us taking.

1. He is a talented prospect coming in on a rookie deal
    2. Bringing him in will make Zion happier

If we bring in Brown/Smart/Tatum, we will end up having to pay up sooner rather than later. With Knox, Robinson and Barrett we won’t have that problem for a while.
    Last edited by JJackisangry; 05-14-2019 at 09:49 PM.

So, myths and their answers to clear up in any discussions on Zion moving forward:

1) He's short: maybe. He's listed at 6'7, which is undersized, but he looked clearly taller than also-6'7 RJ Barrett tonight. Don't be surprised if he ends up being 6'8 or 6'9 at the combine.

2) He's got a short wingspan: ESPN lists his wingspan at 6'11.5'', which is basically 7'0. That's longer than Lebron James. It's absolutely fine.

3) He can't shoot the three: His 3pt% for the first 12 games of his season was 17.6%, which is what dragged his overall number down. But for the last 20 games of the season (the larger sample size than 12, see) he shot 39.6% from deep. That doesn't mean he's a guaranteed sniper, but he has the potential to be a solid shooter.

I've personally been over that AD trade demand. If he didnt do that, the team would not be making the moves their making today. It's not like, he was wrong. And we got Zion as a reward for it.

AD is the best big man in the game, you don't trade him if you don't absolutely have to. I think AD wants to stay, considering Zion, the money and the fact that he has actually liked it here. He tried to recruit but the franchise was so poorly run, that nobody would come. Look at the Lakers right now.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    We have to realize that Zion is not AD. AD, as much of a snake as he is, is an elite rim protector. Zion probably will be fine, but he will never reach AD's status as a defender.

If Griffin convinces AD to stay and sign an extension, I'll swallow my pride and welcome him back. But I ain't losing sleep if he decides to bolt. Either way, Pels win. We hold all the cards.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    We have to realize that Zion is not AD. AD, as much of a snake as he is, is an elite rim protector. Zion probably will be fine, but he will never reach AD's status as a defender.

If Griffin convinces AD to stay and sign an extension, I'll swallow my pride and welcome him back. But I ain't losing sleep if he decides to bolt. Either way, Pels win. We hold all the cards.
    They play different positions. Zion will be a far better defender on the wings than AD ever will be. It's not an accurate comparison. It's like saying Jrue will never reach AD's status as a defender due to not being an elite rim protector.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post

Depends what you mean, ''he will never reach AD's status as a defender.''

As a rim protector? Sure, he'll never be on AD's level, most likely. AD is one of the best rim protectors in the league, and debatably THE best.

Could Zion be a better perimeter defender? Sure, I think so. AD is a good perimeter defender, but he always had a bit of trouble guarding the super shifty one on one. Zion won't have that issue because he's got pretty good defensive quickness and can guard down to the PG spot without much issue.

But yeah, Zion is not AD. AD should have won the 2018 DPOY. Zion will probably not reach DPOY level.

He could be all-defense though, and that's good enough.

I will only stay a fan if AD goes. We need a complete fresh start. We need 2 top 5 picks and players. AD FORGET HIM. Did you people follow his circus act his comments during the season and during games when he said out. Do you know what grief he caused Gentry, his teammates and most importantly ownership and the fan base. I will never forgive him, Chris Paul, or any other prima donna for giving up on their teams and just wanting to buy a championship. Done with AD, period.

We can't keep AD, because we have to give him a SuperMax or walks for nothing. It is a death sentence.

Davis would have to sign day one of FA for me not to trade.....even then I would still trade. He will never be a leader. He will always be second fiddle but I also don't see Jrue taking over the team with AD here. Trade AD and Jrue is the perfect leader for the new young and talented team we will have. Whether it's Tatum and Brown or Knox and Ja....Jrue can lead dat.

Thread Information