Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Update on AD Staying Rumours

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Id rather be either over the Lakers. Lol
    Man, IDK? At least Lakers have Cap Space.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    I too think they’ll at least try to make the playoffs. I think it’s doable if we can get just a couple good pieces. If we can flip Davis into Tatum and Beal (Brown would be ok too) along with hopefully a good draft pick like Morant or culver and decent Free agent, That team could be a 6-8 seed depending on how we mesh. I can’t wait till Tuesday because that will decide a lot of things like trade possibilities. I do think if we stay at 7, we’ll probably trade it.
    Yea I like this deal a lot. Brown have to be included in a deal along with picks to acquire Beal. I think adding Beal along with an improving Tatum could really be a surprise team in the West next season. A Jrue/Beal backcourt is as good as it gets arguably as good as any duo.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    What good is cap space on a dumpster fire team nobody wants to play for, with a front office that has no GM, that has continually thrown huge contracts are bad players, and has no coach?
    Basketball.

Where did this Tatum / Beal deal come from?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    Pretty sure it comes from flipping other players

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

The Franchise
    Just a wishlist. I think Brown and 2-1st could get the deal done. I’d let them have any 2 picks unless we end up top 4.

I know Jrue doesn’t want to play point but him, Beal, and Tatum could take turns initiating the offense so no need for a true pg with them 3 on the court. If we possibly land Morant, then when he comes in Jrue or Beal moves to SG in a traditional lineup.

Putting it out there: really don't want Ja Morant.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Putting it out there: really don't want Ja Morant.
    Huh!

I'm afraid some organization is going to be stupid enough to still want CP3 and Houston will be able to dump him for not a lot.

I'm afraid some organization is going to be stupid enough to still want CP3 and Houston will be able to dump him for not a lot.
    Lakers !

Huh!
    I should caveat that.

I would still pick him with a top four pick, but it would probably be fourth. I prefer Zion and Culver over him clearly, and I think there's a decent argument for Barrett over him. Morant has real offensive talent, but he can't shoot whatsoever right now and he projects as a poor defender. Obviously he's still super young and can always learn etc etc, but if I'm picking top three, for example, I'm picking one of the other guys

I feel like the absolute love affair some people have with Ja is dangerous. I've even seen people saying they'd take him first over Zion. That's worrying to me.

Lakers !
    Crap. They would be

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Cause Fletch is like a little child that has to have the last word.
    I thought very highly of Meg Gatto till she married that dufus...

Also TV people don't live in reality. Dufus just tweets words to get more interactions to get a higher contract. He makes no matter. I'd rather hear random peoples opinion here over his desperate attempt to be sports relevent 10 times out of 10... and he has "credentials".

Crap. They would be
    They can't get the banana boat squad together now that Wade has retired.

Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post
    I thought very highly of Meg Gatto till she married that dufus...

Also TV people don't live in reality. Dufus just tweets words to get more interactions to get a higher contract. He makes no matter. I'd rather hear random peoples opinion here over his desperate attempt to be sports relevent 10 times out of 10... and he has "credentials".
    She did NOT marry Fletcher !! She married Travers Mackel.

They can't get the banana boat squad together now that Wade has retired.
    No, but they can get the Banana Split!

No, but they can get the Banana Split!
    Replace Wade with Melo

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I should caveat that.

I would still pick him with a top four pick, but it would probably be fourth. I prefer Zion and Culver over him clearly, and I think there's a decent argument for Barrett over him. Morant has real offensive talent, but he can't shoot whatsoever right now and he projects as a poor defender. Obviously he's still super young and can always learn etc etc, but if I'm picking top three, for example, I'm picking one of the other guys

I feel like the absolute love affair some people have with Ja is dangerous. I've even seen people saying they'd take him first over Zion. That's worrying to me.
    Ja can’t shoot? He’s hitting 36% from 3 and 89% from the stripe. Not to mention. His true% is 61.2%. I’ll be honest, I feel like Ja has that IT factor. Like I can’t see him failing unless he has severe injury problems. His super lithe frame and how high he jumps worry me. Derrick Rose broke down and he was much more solidly built.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Ja can’t shoot? He’s hitting 36% from 3 and 89% from the stripe. Not to mention. His true% is 61.2%. I’ll be honest, I feel like Ja has that IT factor. Like I can’t see him failing unless he has severe injury problems. His super lithe frame and how high he jumps worry me. Derrick Rose broke down and he was much more solidly built.
    36% obviously based on the entire year, and he had a few games where he shot the lights out that skews the average a little, like the game he shot 5 for 6 and the game he shot 6 for 12. He did improve later in the season, which is when most of those good games fell, and like I said, he's young and can learn so maybe he was just improving as the season went on. Perfectly possible.

But if you take his average from the first game of the year until March 1st, he shot 33% over that time period, and only 80% from the stripe, and that's 30 games worth over the course of months. 80% from the FT line isn't awful, obviously, but it's hardly stunningly good either, especially for a guard, and yeah 33% isn't good.

I'm not trying to condemn him, and like I said, I think he has real offensive talent, but for the majority of his college career, he's been a mediocre-to-poor shooter (shot 30.8% his first year as well) and he's a twig who I don't think will play NBA level defense.

I could be totally wrong, I'm willing to accept that, especially given how young he is (19), but I just get some uncertain vibes from him. I don't think he's a sure-fire star like a lot of people do, and I think the gaps in his game could end up being more severe than most people are willing to consider.

36% obviously based on the entire year, and he had a few games where he shot the lights out that skews the average a little, like the game he shot 5 for 6 and the game he shot 6 for 12. He did improve later in the season, which is when most of those good games fell, and like I said, he's young and can learn so maybe he was just improving as the season went on. Perfectly possible.

But if you take his average from the first game of the year until March 1st, he shot 33% over that time period, and only 80% from the stripe, and that's 30 games worth over the course of months. 80% from the FT line isn't awful, obviously, but it's hardly stunningly good either, especially for a guard, and yeah 33% isn't good.

I'm not trying to condemn him, and like I said, I think he has real offensive talent, but for the majority of his college career, he's been a mediocre-to-poor shooter (shot 30.8% his first year as well) and he's a twig who I don't think will play NBA level defense.

I could be totally wrong, I'm willing to accept that, especially given how young he is (19), but I just get some uncertain vibes from him. I don't think he's a sure-fire star like a lot of people do, and I think the gaps in his game could end up being more severe than most people are willing to consider.
    Why do you say "only 80% from the stripe?" He shot 81.3% from the stripe which is damned good. He was 50% from the filed which is very good for a pg and 36.3% from 3, which he could improve on.

Just ran example of someone who will likely be on the trade market that could be real target for us. We will no doubt have the assets to get a deal for him done and even when keeping our best piece with someone like Tatum. I think the Wizards would be ecstatic landing Brown and 2 1st round picks.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    Just a wishlist. I think Brown and 2-1st could get the deal done. I’d let them have any 2 picks unless we end up top 4.

I know Jrue doesn’t want to play point but him, Beal, and Tatum could take turns initiating the offense so no need for a true pg with them 3 on the court. If we possibly land Morant, then when he comes in Jrue or Beal moves to SG in a traditional lineup.
    Yea I 100% agree. Jrue and Beal in the backcourt would feed off each other perfectly and the exact kind of guard I think needs to be next to Jrue. Don’t need someone to take the ball handing and distributing duties but someone to share. Nowhere has Jrue ever said he doesn’t want to play the point. I think we are a much better team with Beal/Tatum in today’s NBA then we would be with AD/Boogie. I think Ja would be to be moved to land Beal as we would keep Tatum and I would not hesitate to make that deal.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Why do you say "only 80% from the stripe?" He shot 81.3% from the stripe which is damned good. He was 50% from the filed which is very good for a pg and 36.3% from 3, which he could improve on.
    Like I said, I'm willing to accept that I could be wrong on this. I'm well aware that what I'm saying runs contrary to the popular opinion, and I get the arguments in favour of him. I do.

When I say only 80% from the stripe, what I mean is that that's not elite or anything, especially for a star guard. 81.3% from the stripe would have ranked 56th in the league this year. That's definitely good, but it's not in rarefied air or anything. It's right around the same spot as Wesley Matthews and Spencer Dinwiddie. Good, but not great. It's not even 2% better than AD, Embiid, or Valanciunas. That is to say, 81.3% would be fantastic if he was 6'11, but he's not, he's a PG and for a PG, 81.3% is dead set decent.

I'm aware that he was efficient overall from the field. He's an absolute twig though, so I don't see that translating 1-to-1 into the NBA. He'll need to put on probably 15 or 20lbs minimum before I feel comfortable seeing him get whacked in the paint.

I already explained why his 3pt shooting is iffy to me. Ignoring the fact that the college 3pt line is closer than the NBA line, and ignoring the fact that college defenses are worse than NBA defenses by and large, his three point percentage was driven up by a few extremely efficiency games, mostly close to the end of the season. I'm willing to accept that I could be wrong about those games and that improvement is a legitimate improvement that will stay, but for the 30 games leading up to March 1st, he shot 33% from the three point line. It's a much larger sample size, and it's unimpressive. I could be wrong, I cannot stress that enough, and I'm not even super confident about these judgements, but the concerns are still there and I think that in the midst of the fawning praise he's recieved from pretty much the entire NBA world, it's not unfair for me to at least bring up these issues.

And again, that's not even to get into the world of defense where I have pretty much zero faith in him ever being legitimately good.

In two years of college Harden shot 75.4% and 75.6%. Shooting 80%+ in college is a good indicator that the player can have a good shot in the NBA or that his shot will transition to the NBA. I don't think it's something that should just be written off as nothing special.

In two years of college Harden shot 75.4% and 75.6%. Shooting 80%+ in college is a good indicator that the player can have a good shot in the NBA or that his shot will transition to the NBA. I don't think it's something that should just be written off as nothing special.
    Harden also hasn't shot better than 37% from three for 5 years.

Before anyone jumps on me for that, I'm not saying he's a bad shooter. Harden can shoot. He isn't very efficient though. A large number of the points generated by Harden from 3 come from his ability to draw fouls off the shot, where he's an 88% FT shooter. That's why when refs get stingy on him, he tends to have very poor games: cause he doesn't actually shoot the ball all that efficiently most of the time. Obviously he does have some games where he's just on fire, but that's true of most players, especially players who take the volume of shots he does.

I get that he could improve. Just making that excruciatingly clear. I'm not saying that he's garbage and is doomed to mediocrity. He could be great. But his outside shot doesn't inspire confidence in me. I know that he can improve it: he is 19 years old.

When I bring up my doubts, it's not to trash the kid. If we end up drafting him somehow, then I will hope to god that I am dead wrong.

All I mean is it seems like an over reach to try and downplay his shooting. All indications are that he is a good shooter in college and has the potential for even more improvement in the NBA based on his already good foundation. Comparing his shooting to guys who have had years and years of NBA coaching and training isn't a good comparison. I think it's fair to say in the college ranks he's good and over 80% from the ft line should probably be considered great in college.

Thread Information