Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Update on AD Staying Rumours

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    He may have had some people within the organization feeding him info, but I would suspect Griffin and his group will be tighter lipped. I can tell you that much of Fletcher's "research/sources" have come from his interns and himself searching the internet for information. He spends much of his time on social media and searching other publications.
    I don't doubt any of this.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Fletch was pretty much on the ball the entire GM saga. He didn't know who was the winner of the position until Ferry pulled out, but he was one of the first keeping info out there when names were coming in. I think he may have been the first to confirm the list of names going to interview. He's not Jesus or anything, and his trade suggestions suck, but he's a perfectly decent reporter on the team.
    Fletcher Mackel is a New Orleans fixture. But, so is urinating in public on Bourbon Street.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I don't doubt any of this.
    I also don't doubt that it's true for far more reporters than they would be comfortable with you knowing.
    Basketball.

At least he does not ask dumb questions like Ed Daniels.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    At least he does not ask dumb questions like Ed Daniels.
    Yeah, I think Ed's time has passed him by. Also, the whole "News With a Twist" is a joke.

I mean that's a nice dream but the time line is playoffs next season.

I mean that's a nice dream but the time line is playoffs next season.
    I feel like placing the playoffs next year as an arbitrary limiter that prevents you from making the best deal is just silly, frankly.

Not saying this this is the choice, but if you were given the option between making the playoffs next year, or missing them next year but guaranteeing yourself a spot in the post-season for the next 5 or 6 years after that, you'd be pretty short-sighted and foolish to pick the former.

I was watching NBA the Jump yesterday on ESPN.. They started talking about AD and David Griffin got brought up.. Nothing but praise from Stephen Jackson and I believe T-Mac.. Talking about how they love and think Griff is great making us a real destination for players now. Pretty awesome to hear how many players have spoken so highly of Griff especially when you rarely ever hear guys talk about GMs or PBOs.. I think AD staying is a real possibility especially if we can sign someone like Butler. Going to be a fun off season!

I feel like placing the playoffs next year as an arbitrary limiter that prevents you from making the best deal is just silly, frankly.

Not saying this this is the choice, but if you were given the option between making the playoffs next year, or missing them next year but guaranteeing yourself a spot in the post-season for the next 5 or 6 years after that, you'd be pretty short-sighted and foolish to pick the former.
    That's a great take but there are no guarantees in any scenario.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    but there are no guarantees in any scenario.
    That's the hot take!

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    That's a great take but there are no guarantees in any scenario.
    Well no, there are no legitimate 100% foolproof guarantees, true. But let's put it this way.

Before this season, if anyone suggested to you that Golden State would win 20 games, would you have believed them? Not for a second. I'm pretty sure that you would have guaranteed anyone that, barring extreme injury, Golden State were making the playoffs and winning at least 50 games.

So we can agree that while there are no 100% bulletproof guarantees, there are things which are so likely that you can more or less feel comfortable thinking they're a sure shot, no?

And what I'm saying is, if you have the two choices in front of you and you believe that option A gives you immediate playoff success but is less long term viable, whereas option B may mean missing the playoffs next season but sets you up for a damn good shot at an extended run of winning seasons and playoff trips, you take option B and you don't think twice.

I agree with you. I'm just saying the message from the Pels has been clear. They are pushing for the playoffs.

I agree with you. I'm just saying the message from the Pels has been clear. They are pushing for the playoffs.
    I feel like there's a chance that, at least for one season, that's just the bluff that teams have to say.

Griff was pretty clear in his press conference and in interviews he did before taking the job here that in his view, the tactic Cleveland used to launch itself into immediate playoff success was an unsustainable tactic that only happened because of the particulars with Lebron James. Given that, and the fact that Griff has stressed long term, sustainable, on-going success, I think it's hard for me to imagine him being faced with the reality of the situation and still picking the short term solution.

Of course, he already said during that time that he wants to win and that's totally understandable, but I feel like that's just the thing a GM has to say. Has there ever been a guy taking a GM or POBO position who has openly said that they'd be totally willing to miss the playoffs or suck for a season, in any circumstance?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    As long as they get a player or players who are equal or better than AD, that is all that matters. And hopefully their draft pick is a star players too. I hope it is a top five pick.

Quote Originally Posted by smcgull View Post
    As long as they get a player or players who are equal or better than AD, that is all that matters. And hopefully their draft pick is a star players too. I hope it is a top five pick.
    Hate to tell you this, but that isn't gonna happen.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    AD isn’t going to stay. No way. After the drama last season I’m ready to move on. 2 post season appearances is not enough. He obviously thinks he’s more important than the team.

I think we will be able to get Zion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The thing is that things can work out for the Pelicans whether he stays or goes. If Griffen, Ms. Benson, Jrue and the bigger contract can convince AD to stay, I can swallow my displeasure for how he handled things and pull for him again. Surround AD and Jrue with this year's first pick and some solid complementary players and I see a path for contention. They weren't that far off from a playoff team this year with all of the drama and the semi-tank.

But the odds favor a trade and I trust that there will be suitable offers available. It could be Boston and that would potentially provide the best combination of draft picks and recognizable players. But the best offer could end up being a team willing to surrender players, current picks and picks in 2021. I will not be shocked if a team swoops in with a deal involving a top 10 pick and more this year, 2021 picks and players in a swap that doesn't look great at first, but sets the Pelicans up long term.

The Franchise
    I too think they’ll at least try to make the playoffs. I think it’s doable if we can get just a couple good pieces. If we can flip Davis into Tatum and Beal (Brown would be ok too) along with hopefully a good draft pick like Morant or culver and decent Free agent, That team could be a 6-8 seed depending on how we mesh. I can’t wait till Tuesday because that will decide a lot of things like trade possibilities. I do think if we stay at 7, we’ll probably trade it.

Man us winning the No.1 pick would be the universe paying us back for all the crap we've had to endure.

...we get to go McDonalds
    We haven’t had thaaaaat bad. Think of the Knicks fans

From here to Tuesday night it’s all positive thoughts.

Draft order falls:

1. Pelicans
    2. Celtics via Kings
    3. Lakers
    4. Knicks

The Franchise
    Man us winning the No.1 pick would be the universe paying us back for all the crap we've had to endure.
    If we get number 1, then I want to completely blow it up. Go all youth and get Morant to go with Zion. Build it from the ground up like we should have done with AD. I wanted the pels/hornets to trade up and grab Lillard, Drummond, or Barnes. We ended up grabbing Rivers who I thought would have been better but oh well. If we have another shot then let’s do it right.

Trade Jrue to the suns for Morant (if possible), Warren, and Bridges
    Trade AD to Celtics for Tatum and Brown along with picks

Build this ship around
    Morant
    Bridges, Frank
    Tatum, Kenrich Williams
    Zion, TJ Warren
    Okafor, Cook

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    So, at this moment in time- Would you rather be a Pelican or a Rocket?

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Primetime View Post
    We haven’t had thaaaaat bad. Think of the Knicks fans

From here to Tuesday night it’s all positive thoughts.

Draft order falls:

1. Pelicans
    2. Celtics via Kings
    3. Lakers
    4. Knicks

Wouldn’t have to do a total rebuild with this lottery. You could grab Zion and Morant and let them progress from the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    So, at this moment in time- Would you rather be a Pelican or a Rocket?
    Id rather be either over the Lakers. Lol

Thread Information