Pelicans Report

Thread: Lakers botched coaching search! Respond by your fave Meme!

Lakers botched coaching search! Respond by your fave Meme!

I thought this deserved its own thread.

Last edited by 13 - 3; 05-08-2019 at 08:10 PM.

I’m sorry this gets even more funnier

Can't remember who tweeted it so I can't find the tweet, but someone said

''Lakers thought they were getting Masai Ujiri, Ty Lue, Anthony Davis, and Kyrie Irving.

Turns out they're getting Rob Pelinka, Jason Kidd, Bismack Biyombo and Shelvin Mack.''
    Basketball.

Last edited by 13 - 3; 05-08-2019 at 10:48 PM.

Yeah... I mean, Ty Lue is a poor coach, let's not ignore that.

But he does have a ring, he does have seniority, he has coached in this league before and been to multiple finals. Sure, 90% of that legacy he has as a coach is due to Lebron, but guess what? Lebron's on the Lakers too! So they had no reason to lowball him that way.

This day couldn't have gone better as a Pelicans fan...

WoW the Lakers are making such bad decisions. If you are going to bring on Lebron you would think they would be doing what it took to keep him happy. Lebron has to be rethinking leaving and could possibly be behind the scenes pushing a trade. Never know with that guy. Since Magic has left the team has imploded. Seems he got out just in time realizing their future is giving up the entire team for AD if signing Kemba Walker as the big FA.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    WoW the Lakers are making such bad decisions. If you are going to bring on Lebron you would think they would be doing what it took to keep him happy. Lebron has to be rethinking leaving and could possibly be behind the scenes pushing a trade. Never know with that guy. Since Magic has left the team has imploded. Seems he got out just in time realizing their future is giving up the entire team for AD if signing Kemba Walker as the big FA.
    Magic leaving the Lakers wasn't him dodging the implosion: it's what started the implosion.

And that's being extremely generous and pretending their last few years wasn't an utter meltdown, collapsing embarrassment.

I think going all in on AD and losing the moral of most of your young......"talent"....was the beginning of the implosion.

Look at these people. They look worse than Falcons fans.

LOLOLOL still no Marc Jackson interviews??

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Magic leaving the Lakers wasn't him dodging the implosion: it's what started the implosion.

And that's being extremely generous and pretending their last few years wasn't an utter meltdown, collapsing embarrassment.
    Trust me Magic was dodging. You think he’s that dumb to not see the problems that were coming. It was no coincidence all of this came out after he left. You really think Magic resigning was what caused this? With or without Magic they were going to have the same issue with the coaching hire which is a reason he left since he had little say so. With or without Magic they are going to have trouble landing one of the few big FAs as he realized it is not some guarantee they will sign someone since they are the Lakers. I think it’s pretty obvious he got out for a reason and it’s pretty clear now what his reasoning was. He was just the face and going to be the fall man had he stayed.

Trust me Magic was dodging. You think he’s that dumb to not see the problems that were coming. It was no coincidence all of this came out after he left. You really think Magic resigning was what caused this? With or without Magic they were going to have the same issue with the coaching hire which is a reason he left since he had little say so. With or without Magic they are going to have trouble landing one of the few big FAs as he realized it is not some guarantee they will sign someone since they are the Lakers. I think it’s pretty obvious he got out for a reason and it’s pretty clear now what his reasoning was. He was just the face and going to be the fall man had he stayed.
    Half of the problem was what Magic did in the first place.

Yes, Buss has been awful as an owner. I'm not questioning that for a second. She needs to either get her head together or sell the team. Pelinka is a moron, and shouldn't even have the job at all.

But Magic isn't some blameless and hapless dude who just walked in, got used and squeezed like a wet towel, and then ran away to recover. He took the job, he made stupid signings that everyone knew were stupid signings the minute they happened. He's the one who got into the trade talks with us and offered everyone on the team, effectively telling them all that they're replaceable to him. He was part of the reason the Lakers sucked this year.

When the season was over, the plan was to fire Walton and hire a new coach, and move forward. Instead, Magic resigned in a public, impromptu press conference without even telling his boss. That was the watershed moment that changed the Lakers season from pathetic, to outright monstrous. Since he did that, they've been making ridiculous move after ridiculous move. No, I don't think that Magic caused that, by leaving, but his leaving, especially in the way he did it, was certainly the first of the implosive failures they've had on this scale.

The plan was for Magic to fire Walton and they told him no. It was widely reported he had no say in the matter at the time. Trying to make a trade to make a trade for AD is some bad move because a couple of young guys heard they were in these trade rumors? So what is a GM suppose to do? Only make an offer when he is 100% sure to get the deal done. The Lakers has a bad season which was partly Magic’s fault. Just about everything else that has happened since he had left was already coming. So I guess it was just some coincidence he decided to abruptly resign right before all of this was about to go down..

Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post
    LOLOLOL still no Marc Jackson interviews??
    Looks like Vogel got the job. LMAO

The plan was for Magic to fire Walton and they told him no. It was widely reported he had no say in the matter at the time. Trying to make a trade to make a trade for AD is some bad move because a couple of young guys heard they were in these trade rumors? So what is a GM suppose to do? Only make an offer when he is 100% sure to get the deal done. The Lakers has a bad season which was partly Magic’s fault. Just about everything else that has happened since he had left was already coming. So I guess it was just some coincidence he decided to abruptly resign right before all of this was about to go down..
    This is the last thing I'm going to say to you about this. Read it carefully, cause I'm not repeating it.

I am not saying that it's a coincidence that he resigned before this happened. I'm saying that him resigning signalled the opening of the floodgates that released all of the awful stuff that there had been rumours and leaks of, into full public viewing. It was the landmark moment, but not a causative moment.

I am also not saying Magic did the wrong thing by attempting to make an AD trade. I am saying that the Lakers organisation, represented publicly by Magic made a mistake by being so desperate and throwing everything at the wall immediately, and by being so public and open about it. To imagine that this didn't play any factor in discouraging their younger guys is to simply misunderstand how people work. It may have been a small factor. It may have been a temporary factor that they got over. But it was a factor.

The Lakers had a bad season. That bad season was caused by the same thing that has led them to have multiple bad seasons over the last few years: their awful ownership and management. This year, Magic Johnson was a part of that management, and therefore bears some of the blame for the way things went. Not all of the blame. Possibly not even the majority of the blame. But to pretend that he is just a blameless victim, who wandered unbenownst into the midsts of Lakers chaos and was thrown around without any power for the entire year is beyond absurd.

Thread Information