Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: RIC BUCHER Report: Pelicans admitted Lakers trade offer "was pretty attractive"

Never was in love with the Lakers package but I am also not in love with doing a deal with the Celtics (which I believe lot of people feel is the better option). The Celtics look "soft." Blaming it all on Kyrie Irving feels convenient. Pelicans have some tough decisions ahead of them. I am still concerned that it will be damn near impossible to get value back for dealing AD, but I guess it is what it is.
    I'm looking for real sports fans...not sheep! Are you with me?!!!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I'm just waiting to see what Ainge offers if Kyrie makes it clear he's leaving, and what the value of that offer does to the market. Waiting for the mythical Celtics offer is what juiced the hypothetical offers before the trade deadline. I'm still concerned, as I've always been, that Kyrie leaving ultimately depresses the AD market. Hope I'm wrong.

The Celtics should very clearly see now they can't win with their team. Even IF Kyrie says he is going to New York that should make the Celtics more desperate to get AD. So they can build around him and also to keep the Knicks from getting him. I'm more confident now than I was before the trade deadline because I thought maybe if the Celtics won this year in some fluke incident they'd be over getting AD but instead they desperately need him.

I too think that Kyrie leaving the Celtics is a foregone conclusion. I doubt the Celtics even want him back. I also think the Celtics offer will be even less as Boston will be a less attractive long term destination for AD. I think Boston keeps their young talent and picks and continue to re-tool.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    The Celtics should very clearly see now they can't win with their team. Even IF Kyrie says he is going to New York that should make the Celtics more desperate to get AD. So they can build around him and also to keep the Knicks from getting him. I'm more confident now than I was before the trade deadline because I thought maybe if the Celtics won this year in some fluke incident they'd be over getting AD but instead they desperately need him.
    IMO, the sweet spot would have been them getting to ECF, Kyrie playing well, but realizing they needed an AD level player to go win a championship.

From the Celtics perspective, I don't really see why they would bundle their young assets to build around AD on a supermax if Kyrie isn't there. Who are they pairing him with to achieve success next year, and what future free agents are they really going to be positioned to go after the following year? They signed Hayward, but have struggled to close the deal with other free agents in the past, and even Hayward was a special case. We've already seen that AD by himself can't carry a team.

In an interview Ainge did before the deadline, he indicated he would still go after a guy even if he didn't have a long term commitment, but that the deal would reflect that. I just can't see him giving up the farm for a gamble on Davis!

I've posted some version of this 100x. Ugh.
    I'm checking out again until after the lottery!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    I too think that Kyrie leaving the Celtics is a foregone conclusion. I doubt the Celtics even want him back. I also think the Celtics offer will be even less as Boston will be a less attractive long term destination for AD. I think Boston keeps their young talent and picks and continue to re-tool.
    So exactly what would be considered an attractive destination for AD now then? The Lakers are absolutely in a dumpster atm.

If Tobias Harris can get 2 1st and 2 2nds for half a season then AD better be able to get more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    IMO, the sweet spot would have been them getting to ECF, Kyrie playing well, but realizing they needed an AD level player to go win a championship.

From the Celtics perspective, I don't really see why they would bundle their young assets to build around AD on a supermax if Kyrie isn't there. Who are they pairing him with to achieve success next year, and what future free agents are they really going to be positioned to go after the following year? They signed Hayward, but have struggled to close the deal with other free agents in the past, and even Hayward was a special case. We've already seen that AD by himself can't carry a team.

In an interview Ainge did before the deadline, he indicated he would still go after a guy even if he didn't have a long term commitment, but that the deal would reflect that. I just can't see him giving up the farm for a gamble on Davis!

Yes, I think the Knicks are a far more likely destination for AD, and Boston will no longer offer Tatum. I’d rather keep AD until the trade deadline than accept peanuts.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post

AD wouldn't be on a supermax if he went to Boston.

So exactly what would be considered an attractive destination for AD now then? The Lakers are absolutely in a dumpster atm.

If Tobias Harris can get 2 1st and 2 2nds for half a season then AD better be able to get more than that.
    Somewhere with a clear cut 2nd star. Options like the Knicks with Kyrie and/or KD signing there, Clippers with Kawhi or Kyrie also signing there, Brooklyn with Kyrie also signing there, or in AD’s mind the Lakers still have his daddy Lebron. Boston has no stars and are in flux. If I am Ainge, I am not giving up Tatum for a possible one year rental in AD. No way.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 05-09-2019 at 12:16 PM.

I’m old enough to remember a time when AD to Bos was a done deal in everybody’s opinion. Boy how things have changed.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

We very well may be looking at 2 firsts and 2 seconds with some mid level at best salary filler as a best option.

We very well may be looking at 2 firsts and 2 seconds with some mid level at best salary filler as a best option.
    AD better be able to get more than that if Harris for 4 months could get that.

AD better be able to get more than that if Harris for 4 months could get that.
    Without Boston, give me any other team who could offer better than that. The exception is if we get a top 3 pick offered to us by the Knicks.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 05-09-2019 at 12:39 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Without Boston, give me any other team who could offer better than that. The exception is if we get a top 3 pick offered to us by the Knicks.
    Trades arent binary. There will be multiple teams involved.
    ANY team that thinks they have a chance to win in the east knows they have to go through Giannis. There aren't very many players equipped to deal with Giannis. AD is one of them.
    AD's market will be huge, especially with L.A. no longer being an endgame destination.

Better than what? Porzingis got 2 1sts AND DSJ all while fighting legal trouble, being out with an ACL teae, and due for a huge contract while being a free agent this summer.

People need to set their expectations accordingly. AD is gonna be able to pull in a better haul than Harris or Porzingis.

Who knows? Maybe all things change and Griffin gets AD to stay.

Better than what? Porzingis got 2 1sts AND DSJ all while fighting legal trouble, being out with an ACL teae, and due for a huge contract while being a free agent this summer.

People need to set their expectations accordingly. AD is gonna be able to pull in a better haul than Harris or Porzingis.
    Again, I would like an example of a “good” trade offer not coming from Boston.

Here is mine which would require all these players just to make salaries work.

Knicks get Anthony Davis. The Knicks could then sign KD and/or Kyrie.

Pelicans get PG Dennis Smith Jr, PG Frank Ntilikina, SG Demario Dotson, SF Kevin Knox, SF Lance Thomas, C Mitchell Robinson, Knicks 2019 1st round pick, Knicks 2021 1st round pick, and Dallas 2021 first round pick.

Most people would say the Knicks are giving up too much, but there are no other players on their roster to add to match salaries.

I think this will be the best offer available, and I would take it if AD does not want to stay.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 05-09-2019 at 01:30 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Again, I would like an example of a “good” trade offer not coming from Boston.

Here is mine which would require all these players just to make salaries work.

Knicks get Anthony Davis. The Knicks could then sign KD and/or Kyrie.

Pelicans get PG Dennis Smith Jr, PG Frank Ntilikina, SG Demario Dotson, SF Kevin Knox, SF Lance Thomas, C Mitchell Robinson, Knicks 2019 1st round pick, Knicks 2021 1st round pick, and Dallas 2021 first round pick.

Most people would say the Knicks are giving up too much, but there are no other players on their roster to add to match salaries.

I think this will be the best offer available, and I would take it if AD does not want to stay.
    How can you expect any legitimate trade scenarios when we have ZERO clue who is picking where in the Lottery?
    It affects the landscape exponentially.

Playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    How can you expect any legitimate trade scenarios when we have ZERO clue who is picking where in the Lottery?
    People are being overly pessimistic for virtually no reason. The draft lottery will play a big part in who we look at or wheel and deal with. At the moment, there is no reason to assume the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Of course it does. I highly doubt either Boston or the Lakers get a top 3 pick unless they beat the odds dramatically. Besides the Knicks, Boston (Sacramento pick), and the Lakers, what other lottery team would offer anything substantial for AD who would probably leave in 1 year if that team is not a contender?
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 05-09-2019 at 01:53 PM.

AD’s trade market will not be as massive as people think. The realistic teams are Boston, Lakers, Clippers, Knicks, Nets, and Chicago as a darkhorse candidate.

My guess is that the Knicks will offer the most if they get a top 3 pick. I would refuse to trade him to the Lakers or Clippers, so that would leave the Celtics, Knicks, Nets, and Bulls as teams to look at.

I already made my point on why I think Boston will now make a low ball offer.

We should all root for the Pelicans and Knicks in the draft lottery process.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 05-09-2019 at 02:02 PM.

AD’s trade market will not be as massive as people think. The realistic teams are Boston, Lakers, Clippers, Knicks, Nets, and Chicago as a darkhorse candidate.

My guess is that the Knicks will offer the most if they get a top 3 pick.
    Also note that there have been rumours stirring that say that Phoenix is tired of their current situation and could be moving into a "young vets" mentality. If that's true, then I think they're probably in the conversation as well. Ayton+Suns 2019 FRP+ Suns 2021 FRP is a good start. Oubre is on the board as well.

As much as it's an outside chance, I could imagine Atlanta getting involved too if they were high enough on the idea of Trae+AD, but that really depends on how they view the Eastern conference in general.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Also note that there have been rumours stirring that say that Phoenix is tired of their current situation and could be moving into a "young vets" mentality. If that's true, then I think they're probably in the conversation as well. Ayton+Suns 2019 FRP+ Suns 2021 FRP is a good start. Oubre is on the board as well.

As much as it's an outside chance, I could imagine Atlanta getting involved too if they were high enough on the idea of Trae+AD, but that really depends on how they view the Eastern conference in general.
    Why would Phoenix or Atlanta offer their future for a possible 1 year rental/gamble ? Neither team are contenders. Not happening. Why would AD choose to re-sign with Atlanta or Phoenix at this time. Just because each have a young quasi-star who haven’t proved they could win?

Why would Phoenix or Atlanta offer their future for a possible 1 year rental/gamble ? Neither team are contenders. Not happening. Why would AD choose to re-sign with Atlanta or Phoenix at this time. Just because each have a young quasi-star who haven’t proved they could win?
    Did you think PG would re-sign with OKC or that Leonard would consider re-signing with Toronto? Phoenix has hired a coach who traditionally did not like dealing with rookies and Atlanta may feel that pairing AD with Young would get them where they want. I don't think either would consider trading the #1, but maybe #2 or lower.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Did you think PG would re-sign with OKC or that Leonard would consider re-signing with Toronto? Phoenix has hired a coach who traditionally did not like dealing with rookies and Atlanta may feel that pairing AD with Young would get them where they want. I don't think either would consider trading the #1, but maybe #2 or lower.
    Toronto and OKC were both consistent winners prior to Leonard and George. Phoenix and Atlanta are not and would be taking far more of a gamble on AD not re-signing. Leonard may still not re-sign with Toronto.

Also Toronto and OKC gave up far less value than you would be suggesting from Phoenix or Atlanta. The idea just doesn’t make sense.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 05-09-2019 at 02:43 PM.

Thread Information