Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Griffin Recruits

Quote Originally Posted by NOLA_Dave View Post
    Man... We can all hate on AD for valid reason, but he started necessary changes to our organization that was overdue. Sadly, when it takes us 7 years to figure this out. I can't entirely blame AD for wanting a trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Man... We can all hate on AD for valid reason, but he started necessary changes to our organization that was overdue. Sadly, when it takes us 7 years to figure this out. I can't entirely blame AD for wanting a trade.
    It was more the way he went about it for most people. I don’t think anybody really blames him for leaving this train wreck. We lucked out big time with The No 1 pick

It's amazing how poorly AD's people managed this past season. He has some responsibility for this too, but his advisors were not competent.

...and the Lakers were on a whole 'nother level of incompetence and even arrogance, thinking they could bully their way to a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    It was more the way he went about it for most people. I don’t think anybody really blames him for leaving this train wreck. We lucked out big time with The No 1 pick
    Basically. I think when the trade request first came out, most people's first reaction was something like ''oh man, that sucks, but can you really blame him?''

It's all the extra stuff that turned the fanbase against him. Naming specific teams, then coming out and saying literally anywhere is better than here, then claiming he never named any teams at all, then forcing us to keep playing him, and then The Shirt followed by a denial of responsibility for The Shirt.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    It didnt take them 7 years. They've hired and fired different trainers and team doctors. Brought in new equipment. I know the Saints have a hyperbaric chamber (or whatever those healing chambers are called) so I cant see why the Pelicans wouldn't. They have all that fancy modern stuff now. The training facility has soft courts.

Even if Davis had kept his mouth shut all of this would have happened this off season anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by NOLA_Dave View Post
    This is so awesome! Griffin is turning us into a 1st class organization from top to bottom. The only thing we have left is some renovations/additions to the arena. Having a state of the art facility to practice and recover is the most important thing we can give our players since all of their time is spent there.

Listening to today's In The N.O. podcast, and Shamit Dua offers a fairly intriguing bit of news here. The following quote comes at around 22 minutes into the pod.

''Basically, from my understanding, what I'm hearing is that their next course of action is bringing in an assistant GM. They're going to have at least three more staffers, one of which is a scout, and uh, there's a name I can't mention yet but there's an executive on a playoff team that they're also targeting. So they are very much not done filling out the front office.''

Interesting, at least. We'll see how it plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Listening to today's In The N.O. podcast, and Shamit Dua offers a fairly intriguing bit of news here. The following quote comes at around 22 minutes into the pod.

''Basically, from my understanding, what I'm hearing is that their next course of action is bringing in an assistant GM. They're going to have at least three more staffers, one of which is a scout, and uh, there's a name I can't mention yet but there's an executive on a playoff team that they're also targeting. So they are very much not done filling out the front office.''

Interesting, at least. We'll see how it plays out.
    There was talk of them going after a Warriors analytics person. It may have been Nick U'ren.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    There was talk of them going after a Warriors analytics person. It may have been Nick U'ren.
    Would be interesting. I assumed automatically that he wasn't talking about another GM or similar: there's no reason for anyone in the top echelons of any of those franchises to be looking for a new job. They're all well paid and winning. So I figured it would be someone a little lower down, like an analytics guy or a scouting guy to pair with Langdon, and Nick U'ren makes sense there.

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    @wojespn: The New Orleans Pelicans are hiring former UConn and WNBA star Swin Cash to a senior front office role, reports @ZachLowe_NBA:...

Quote Originally Posted by Imnos 2 View Post
    @wojespn: The New Orleans Pelicans are hiring former UConn and WNBA star Swin Cash to a senior front office role, reports @ZachLowe_NBA:...
    Griffin hiring his friends he made on TV is not a good sign. She doesn’t seem qualified whatsoever for this position.

Quote Originally Posted by studentofthegam View Post
    Griffin hiring his friends he made on TV is not a good sign. She doesn’t seem qualified whatsoever for this position.
    I don't know why you would say that. She has had a similar role with the New York Liberty for the last two years, has an accomplished career in women's basketball and is very involved in community building activities outside of basketball. Titles don't seem to mean as much under Griffin either, so if he thinks she can handle something, he would probably give her that task. Maybe you just don't think women should have responsible roles in an NBA franchise?

Quote Originally Posted by Zombiewoof View Post
    I don't know why you would say that. She has had a similar role with the New York Liberty for the last two years, has an accomplished career in women's basketball and is very involved in community building activities outside of basketball. Titles don't seem to mean as much under Griffin either, so if he thinks she can handle something, he would probably give her that task. Maybe you just don't think women should have responsible roles in an NBA franchise?
    She was an average WNBA who made only 3 all stars teams in 15 years. An average WNBA player who spent one year working in a WNBA front office and appeared on TV some is not qualified to be the VP of Basketball Operations. It has nothing to do with her gender

This is the full description of her role:

"The team will name Cash vice president of basketball operations and team development, sources say. She will scout, help guide player development on and off the floor, and assume other roles within the organization."

First it's not set in stone exactly what her title will be until they announce it but the better phrase is the one they used in the tweet. Just think of this as a senior executive position. Stop getting hung up on the title which doesn't matter. Her role is going to be scouting and player development on and off the court.

How good of a player you were =/= how good of a manager you are. If so the Hornets ran by Jordan would be the best team ever. I think it's a great idea to have a female in an executive position. We will have by all indications a good amount of youth on this team so she will be able to not only understand what the players are going through due to her time in the pros but also be a different voice from a different perspective to help guide players.

After David and Trajan I simply can't understand why anyone would complain about any front office hires. Let Griff do his work.

Trust the process

I don’t know anything about her so I can’t comment. It’s certainly not a bad thing to introduce more women to roles in the NBA. I just hope this isn’t diversity hire 101 and she is a hit like Becky Hammon. I’ll trust the front office here as they have made solid moves so far.

Thread Information