Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Griff on “The Jump” show

Griff on “The Jump” show

Part 2

Damn, Griffen seems to be in a lot of circles. His hire and opinion of Gayle Benson have given us instant credibility.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    Damn, Griffen seems to be in a lot of circles. His hire and opinion of Gayle Benson have given us instant credibility.
    Even if we don't ultimately work out...I don't see another hire we could've made that would've been better from the optics alone.

And it's not like the man doesn't have knowledge of how pro level organizations are run. He was part of Phoenix when they totally revamped their medical staff. Not a single thing stopping us from doing the same thing here. My mouth salivates thinking of our team being on the cutting edge of health and analytics.

When did we not have young talent this season?

Are Jackson, Woods, Williams, and Okafor grizzly old vets?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    When did we not have young talent this season?

Are Jackson, Woods, Williams, and Okafor grizzly old vets?
    Maybe I'm wrong, but when someone says ''young talent'', I'm thinking players with some unknown degree of potential that could plausibly end up blooming. So Jackson, for example, would count, but I don't really count Okafor as ''young talent'' because I'm pretty sure that we know roughly what we're getting from him and that he's not likely to be exploding into something different. Maybe other people use the term differently, but for me if you're just young-and-thats-it, I'm more likely to just call you ''youth'' or ''young player'' than ''young talent''.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Part 2

Openly discussing the Davis-staying possibility is smart even if it's far-fetched.

Other options could pop up such as the lottery providing a Zion opportunity. That said, odds are Griffin and Ainge will be engaged in talks that will end in a deal as Boston is motivated and able to outbid anyone who isn't willing to part with the #1 pick. They're both smart guys with a good working relationship which makes the deal even more likely.

This will be a highly revved trade rumor season leading up the draft and perhaps beyond. As far as these particular trade discussions, every name on the Celtics roster except Kyrie will be flying around on twitter. It's going to be fun.
    Last edited by Gant-; 04-24-2019 at 07:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong, but when someone says ''young talent'', I'm thinking players with some unknown degree of potential that could plausibly end up blooming. So Jackson, for example, would count, but I don't really count Okafor as ''young talent'' because I'm pretty sure that we know roughly what we're getting from him and that he's not likely to be exploding into something different. Maybe other people use the term differently, but for me if you're just young-and-thats-it, I'm more likely to just call you ''youth'' or ''young player'' than ''young talent''.
    And, what about Diallo? Is he a dead end? I always compared him to Aminu as far as development .
    We had quite a few interesting conversations as we pondered and navigated the nightly canopy.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpnose View Post
    And, what about Diallo? Is he a dead end? I always compared him to Aminu as far as development .
    I think Diallo has some promise but I don't think he's ever going to be a star level player. If he continues improving the way he has over the last season or so, he could be a reliable energy guy who plays 15 or 20 minutes off the bench and make a steady career out of it, but I don't expect anything more than that.

One thing that's always confused me is the reputation Ainge has. He has this huge reputation for robbing everyone in trades and being this genius GM that nobody else can come close to, but that just doesn't seem to check out. His biggest feats of trade-mastery were over people like Billy King, who is widely considered to be one of the worst GMs of all time. Ainge tried to trade 4 first round picks for Justise Winslow.

He's not infallible. He's good at his job but it's not like anyone going into trade talks with him is about to negotiate with Cicero or something, he's not magic. It's not like he's made a career out of fleecing R. C. Buford or something, he's built his name off fleecing Billy King and Kevin McHale.

Yes people are quick to say Ainge is some master GM for trades but the only reason he has a "war chest" now is because Miami turned down his offer of 4 1st for Justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Yes people are quick to say Ainge is some master GM for trades but the only reason he has a "war chest" now is because Miami turned down his offer of 4 1st for Justice.
    I hope Griffen remembers that he wanted to give 4 1st round picks for Justice. The worst I would take in a trade is Tatum, Smart, Memphis pick, and 2019 Sacramento pick. We should get a 3rd 1st round pick.

I hope Griffen remembers that he wanted to give 4 1st round picks for Justice. The worst I would take in a trade is Tatum, Smart, Memphis pick, and 2019 Sacramento pick. We should get a 3rd 1st round pick.
    I want the Memphis pick, the Sacramento pick, and the Clippers pick. They can keep their own pick if they want, but unless they're the only team making offers (which they won't be) then I don't take any less than all three. Tatum is a given, there's no deal without him. So if I'm Griffin, I make it clear that I'm not being difficult and I'm open to discussion, but my starting price is Tatum + 3 picks. Negotiations start there.

There are three components to a trade with Boston. The same three things apply to any team trading for AD, but Boston already has all of them ready to go:

* A young player with star potential.
    * Talent making enough money to match salaries.
    * Draft picks.

The final trade package will depend on which particular assets Griffin and New Orleans most covet, and how high the other bids will be.

Aminu did develop above the ceiling most projected for him from his days here, but he was a lottery pick. Stranger things have happened tho

I think that's a good comparison.... He will barely develop at all here in New Orleans, and as soon as we trade him away BOOM. Development!

Aminu was a high lottery pick while Diallo was a 2nd rounder. Aminu came into the league with elite size/length and at the least very good if not elite athleticism for his position. Diallo is a tweener who relies completely on hustle to make an impact on the game.

They don't compare at all really. Diallo will *never* be a SF. His best position would be PF where he could use his length as a positive but the problem is he has a very weak offensive game at the range typical PFs operate at. This forces him to spend time at C where he is undersized, doesn't have an advantage with length, and gets bullied out of position.

I'm not saying he can never develop but I certainly see him being a few more years off if he ever does, and I don't think it's any guarantee at all.

Aminu I remember seeing at pre game warm-ups and he would be drilling 3pters. I remember having a discussion on here about why he couldn't consistently do it in the game, we basically came to the belief it was mostly mental for him. Even if Diallo develops his mental game 100% he will still always struggle to make up for the size issues he has. Aminu once he got the mental side sorted out already had the size, length, etc to be successful.

Even saying all this, Aminu still probably hasn't lived up to his draft position.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 04-24-2019 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Aminu was a high lottery pick while Diallo was a 2nd rounder. Aminu came into the league with elite size/length and at the least very good if not elite athleticism for his position. Diallo is a tweener who relies completely on hustle to make an impact on the game.

They don't compare at all really. Diallo will *never* be a SF. His best position would be PF where he could use his length as a positive but the problem is he has a very weak offensive game at the range typical PFs operate at. This forces him to spend time at C where he is undersized, doesn't have an advantage with length, and gets bullied out of position.

I'm not saying he can never develop but I certainly see him being a few more years off if he ever does, and I don't think it's any guarantee at all.

Aminu I remember seeing at pre game warm-ups and he would be drilling 3pters. I remember having a discussion on here about why he couldn't consistently do it in the game, we basically came to the belief it was mostly mental for him. Even if Diallo develops his mental game 100% he will still always struggle to make up for the size issues he has. Aminu once he got the mental side sorted out already had the size, length, etc to be successful.

Even saying all this, Aminu still probably hasn't lived up to his draft position.
    I agree, and yet people on here want to draft Bol Bol, who will always be a weak string bean of a player and come with the associated injury risks with players of that body type. I wouldn’t touch Bol Bol until the end of the 1st round at the earliest.

I agree, and yet people on here want to draft Bol Bol, who will always be a weak string bean of a player and come with the associated injury risks with players of that body type. I wouldn’t touch Bol Bol until the end of the 1st round at the earliest.
    Bol Bol is nothing like this.

Diallo is a tweener. Bol is not, he's a legit C. Yes, he needs to put on weight: so do most 18 year old centers. Diallo therefore has to play against centers who have him out-sized and have more length than him. Bol will not be outsized by many players, nor find himself dwarfed in wingspan.

Diallo came into the league with zero outside shot. Bol shot 50+% from 3 in college (limited games).

Diallo came into the league unable to play defense and with no rim protection abilities. Bol Bol averaged over 4 blocks per game in college.

There are still definite concerns with Bol, mainly revolving around his health, but to act like an 18 year old with a wide skill set will ''always be a weak string bean of a player'' is just nonsense, to be honest. Unless you consider someone like Porzingis a weak string bean of a player cause he's 7'3 and skinny, or AD because he came into the league 6'11 and 220lbs.

Bol Bol and Diallo are NOTHING alike. BOLsquared already comes to the NBA with multiple elite traits. The only real concern with him is injury wise. He might take time to develop and gain weight to bang in the NBA but his skill set and measurements are not in question. That's actually the exact opposite of Diallo who lacks in both categories even after multiple years now in the league.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 04-24-2019 at 05:36 PM.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I'm sorry. I don't trust Bol Bol will be able to have a full NBA career. The human body just isn't made to have those kind of proportions. I knew without even looking that whatever injury issues he had was likely in his foot or ankle, and sure enough...he had a stress fracture. That won't go away. It'll just move to another part of his lower body later on. Maybe he gets over it, but if we SOMEHOW convince the Unibrow'd Idiot to stay, and we only have the one draft pick...don't want to use it on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I'm sorry. I don't trust Bol Bol will be able to have a full NBA career. The human body just isn't made to have those kind of proportions. I knew without even looking that whatever injury issues he had was likely in his foot or ankle, and sure enough...he had a stress fracture. That won't go away. It'll just move to another part of his lower body later on. Maybe he gets over it, but if we SOMEHOW convince the Unibrow'd Idiot to stay, and we only have the one draft pick...don't want to use it on him.
    I agree with this. Bol Bol is proportionally abnormal (too long and lanky) to take the pounding of playing center in the NBA and will likely have a brief career. He is not suited to run in a fast pace game.

I totally understand the injury argument. That's the biggest concern with Bol Bol and the only reason he isn't going in the top couple of picks. His skillset and measurements are all through the roof though. That's totally different than Diallo.

Also Bol isn't some freak of measurements. He basically is entering the league with exactly the same height, length, weight as Porzingis.

Thread Information