Pelicans Report

Thread: DeMarcus Cousins left quad tear

DeMarcus Cousins left quad tear

Looks like we dodged a bullet not resigning this guy. iirc we made an offer, but he thought he was worth more and was gonna play a season and "prove himself" and get more this offseason. Never like to see guy get injured but our franchise is clearly better off. We get to unload AD this summer, and we should be in a great position for a rebuild.

Correct. The sad thing was he turned down 40 mil + for what? A ring that he never earned. His legacy.
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 04-19-2019 at 01:45 PM.

We're not exactly winning, all losers atm, but you have to love the way the basketball gods are smiting our enemies.

Demps gave up Buddy Heid to get Cousins.
    We made a mistake...
    Last edited by MikeyF; 04-21-2019 at 05:50 AM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyF View Post
    Demps game up Buddy Heid to get Cousins.
    We made a mistake...
    Easy to say that if you can predict injuries for non-injury-prone players.

It had nothing to do with injuries...
    We gave up Buddy Hield, Tyreke Evans, Langston Galloway and our 2017 first-round and second-round pick for a player that only had 6 months left on his contract.
    It should have been a sign & trade deal!

I don't think Cousin's is injury prone.
    If you watched any of GS games this year, he should not have been playing...
    He ran with a limp and that is an injury waiting to happen.
    He needs to let his body heal and get himself healthy.

We gave up Buddy Hield, Tyreke Evans, Langston Galloway and our 2017 first-round and second-round pick for a player that only had 6 months left on his contract.

Can you even do a sign-and-trade for an extension? It wasn't in free agency so it couldn't have been a normal S&T anyway. He didn't have 6 months left on his contract. He got traded to us at the trade deadline in 2017, played the final 20 games with us and then would have played an entire year before hitting FA. 17 months, not 6.

If Cousins wasn't ready, that's between him and the Golden State medical staff. He was injuried in January of 2018, and he didn't play his first game for Golden State until January of 2019. That's pretty much a full year. Expected recovery time for his injury was 8-10 months, if I recall correctly. He got 12. If he was going to be fine, then he should have been fine. There are a bunch of reasons he may have ran with a limp. Maybe he was simply permanently damaged by the injury, and will NEVER recover properly: and unless you think he should have just retired immediately, then 12 months is fine. Maybe he was fine physiologically, but no longer trusted his ankle anymore after the injury, changing the way he treats it. Also possible.

Not injury prone? 64 games in his second season, 59 games in his 5th season, 65 the year after that, 48 for us before his ankle exploded and then only what, 30 for Golden State before his quad tore? He may not be the most frequently injured player in the league but it's not like we're talking about an Iron Man here.
    Basketball.

Lets not act like most of us weren't ready to move on from Tyreke at the time. Galloway is an NBA journeyman, and giving up picks is nothing new to this team. I'm sorry, this was not some kings ransom here.

NO Would never be able to attract a talent like Cousins regardless (I'm just talking about on the court talent, nothing to do with his terrible personality). A team like NO does this deal 10/10 times. We just got unlucky in regards to his injury. He gets a max deal otherwise and he and Davis are together for the foreseeable future.

Let's not forget, if this deal didnt happen we probably make a worse deal for someone considerably less talented. It was just out MO at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaPride View Post
    Let's not forget, if this deal didnt happen we probably make a worse deal for someone considerably less talented. It was just out MO at the time.
    Reportedly, Dell was prepared to ship 2 1st rounders for Dwight Howard.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I know he wishes he could have stayed in Sacramento for $200million+.

Not enough facepalm gifs in the arsenal.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Reportedly, Dell was prepared to ship 2 1st rounders for Dwight Howard.
    Really? Jesus...

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Can you even do a sign-and-trade for an extension? It wasn't in free agency so it couldn't have been a normal S&T anyway. He didn't have 6 months left on his contract. He got traded to us at the trade deadline in 2017, played the final 20 games with us and then would have played an entire year before hitting FA. 17 months, not 6.

If Cousins wasn't ready, that's between him and the Golden State medical staff. He was injuried in January of 2018, and he didn't play his first game for Golden State until January of 2019. That's pretty much a full year. Expected recovery time for his injury was 8-10 months, if I recall correctly. He got 12. If he was going to be fine, then he should have been fine. There are a bunch of reasons he may have ran with a limp. Maybe he was simply permanently damaged by the injury, and will NEVER recover properly: and unless you think he should have just retired immediately, then 12 months is fine. Maybe he was fine physiologically, but no longer trusted his ankle anymore after the injury, changing the way he treats it. Also possible.

Not injury prone? 64 games in his second season, 59 games in his 5th season, 65 the year after that, 48 for us before his ankle exploded and then only what, 30 for Golden State before his quad tore? He may not be the most frequently injured player in the league but it's not like we're talking about an Iron Man here.
    When you run with a limp you are eventually going to hurt another part of your body...
    I know this for a fact due to the 2 ACL surgeries I had when I was 19.5 & 22 years old due to a sports injury.
    You have a limp because you either didn't rehabilitate properly or you rushed back into action...

When you run with a limp you are eventually going to hurt another part of your body...
    I know this for a fact due to the 2 ACL surgeries I had when I was 19.5 & 22 years old due to a sports injury.
    You have a limp because you either didn't rehabilitate properly or you rushed back into action...
    I'm not denying the fact that running with a limp can increase the likelihood of other injury. Of course it can. Doing anything with an unusual, uncomfortable, or forced posture can increase the likelihood of injury.

Demarcus Cousins had a full year to recover for an injury that can be healed in 8 months. That is, can be healed in 8 months, I'm not saying it's guaranteed to be.

If, after that full year, he wasn't ready to return, then that is the fault of either himself, or Golden State's medical staff. Possibly both. Personally, I don't think it's likely that they rushed it, because of the fact that he took a full year for an injury that does not require a full year. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm willing to trust the medical experts who made that decision, because I am not a doctor or a sports scientist, and even if I was, I haven't examined Cousins' injury firsthand.

Like I said, he may have been running with a limp due to permanent damage to his stride that taking another 6 months wouldn't have healed: maybe he is just forever damaged. A guy of his size and weight getting such a serious injury on a major load-bearing joint could easily be a life-time injury. Or, as I said, maybe he is physically fine, but is limping due to a psychological issue: maybe he doesn't trust that ankle anymore after it exploded on him.

Both of those things are absolutely plausible. It is weird to just assume that GS has incompetent medical staff or something when there are easier, more likely, and equally sufficient other explanations.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Really? Jesus...
    And also discussed a deal for Jahlil Okafor for a 1st rounder, but could not agree on the protection with the Sixers.

Dell was not good. He had to go.

I think it was Van Gundy that brought up yesterday that GS seemed much faster without Cousins . I have to agree. We seemed to do better without Cousins last year.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    I think it was Van Gundy that brought up yesterday that GS seemed much faster without Cousins . I have to agree. We seemed to do better without Cousins last year.
    Cousins has never been a consistent winner. Maybe there is a reason for that. He will once again have to sign a 1 year prove it deal and spend most of it rehabbing. We definitely dodged a bullet.

Thread Information