Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Griffin's Press Conference

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    That �� was suppose to be 100.

Yeah, at least we aren’t the Knicks or Suns. There is always that.
    Or the Lakers(Lebron)who also wanted Griffin.

And on that note, the 76ers, who look to he doing alright but is another job he turned down.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    And on that note, the 76ers, who look to he doing alright but is another job he turned down.
    Hinkie is to thank for what is happening in Philly. Hinkie wouldn’t have drafted Fultz.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Griffin feels like we're settling as an organization. If he can get the job done it won't matter, but I prefer a young assistant to a guy who IMO failed more than succeed.
    Can’t get the job done? What are you talking about?! The guy helped bring a championship to Cleveland. How can you just ignore this because of a bad draft pick and a young superstar having an ego wanting to go somewhere else. Yet you would rather the Clippers assistant GM who has done nothing. But he worked under Jerry West? Makes a ton of sense..

That's the part that has me very optimistic. Not necessarily Perk. I don't really care just for his opinion. But the media, talking heads, and other ex players as a whole. It really feels like during the AD fiasco the sentiment was "Klutch is picking on that special kid". Listening to various sources, they were talking about the franchise like it was an actual franchise. No derision or anything like that. Deadpan like we are a normal team.

If we can get a decent haul back for AD and resign Payton and/Randle.....we might actually be an attractive location, again. That gives me SQUEE.
    Yea I definitely agree. Griffin seems to have brought a lot of credibility to this franchise over night. I think what Perk said is somewhat of a big deal because he’s obviously not the only guy to feel this way. Really helps for a small market like us to have many players backing Griffin.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Can’t get the job done? What are you talking about?! The guy helped bring a championship to Cleveland. How can you just ignore this because of a bad draft pick and a young superstar having an ego wanting to go somewhere else. Yet you would rather the Clippers assistant GM who has done nothing. But he worked under Jerry West? Makes a ton of sense..
    READ! My comment doesn't say "can't" it says "if he can".

Griffin just got an mathematical improbable amount of 1st overall picks combined with LeBron wanting to come back home. That wasn't his greatest. This isn't to say Griffin can't be the man. My line of thinking is with all the talent in the front offices personnel around the league why this guy? Griffin resume just isn't that impressive even with the title.

READ! My comment doesn't say "can't" it says "if he can".

Griffin just got an mathematical improbable amount of 1st overall picks combined with LeBron wanting to come back home. That wasn't his greatest. This isn't to say Griffin can't be the man. My line of thinking is with all the talent in the front offices personnel around the league why this guy? Griffin resume just isn't that impressive even with the title.
    Ok my bad I read that wrong.. But how can you act like Griffin doesn’t have an impressive resume? He got 2 1st round picks which he then flipped for one of the best big men in the NBA. He put together a team that beat the defending NBA champions who came off the best regular season record ever. Look how many teams out there are consistently at the top of the lottery yet can do ish with it. Only thing negative you really have to say is he drafted Bennett.. You are ready to hire someone who has done nothing and you know nothing about but hey he worked for Jerry West. Griffin has great relationships all around the league which is one of the most important attributes to his job. Clearly knows how to put a championship team together.

Some people will never be satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    The same argument could be the other way around. Keeping Gentry this long is hardly a sign of ambition. If anything, the Pelicans have shown me nothing to get excited about. I’ll let things run their course, but I can see Griffin being a very “meh” appointment. We shall see

Another interesting topic I can bring up and watch you guys debate over for half a page before it evolves into an argument of semantics for 3 pages......is this season proving that Cleveland's championship was way more than just Lebron?

I always felt like that Cav's team was a poop that had James on it and he single handedly won a championship. But here we are, just a couple of seasons removed and the dude can still turn it on, and this Lakers team that is supposed to be decent (they weren't last place the year before him and had another year exp for its young players) couldn't even make the playoffs.

Griffin only good because of Lebron.

Guess the same could be said for Steve Nash

http://arizonasports.com/story/14884...ht-jason-kidd/

Point is Griffin has been successful without Lebron

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    The same argument could be the other way around. Keeping Gentry this long is hardly a sign of ambition. If anything, the Pelicans have shown me nothing to get excited about. I’ll let things run their course, but I can see Griffin being a very “meh” appointment. We shall see
    I think right now Gentry is a very solid option going into next season. I would rather us not get desperate and hire someone jus to show we are making moves.. I think Gentry’s system could flourish adding guys like Tatum and Brown to go with guys like Jrue and Frank. IMO his system thrives with multiple ball handlers and scorers with capable bigs. We simply need to make moves to fix the defense which is what will excite me. I’m fine with Gentry getting another year. He is very close with Gayle Benson and I have a strong feeling he will retire soon and take on a role in the front office which I would love. I know Gentry and his wife absolutely love New Orleans and consider it home. I might just know a next door neighbor or something..

Another interesting topic I can bring up and watch you guys debate over for half a page before it evolves into an argument of semantics for 3 pages......is this season proving that Cleveland's championship was way more than just Lebron?

I always felt like that Cav's team was a poop that had James on it and he single handedly won a championship. But here we are, just a couple of seasons removed and the dude can still turn it on, and this Lakers team that is supposed to be decent (they weren't last place the year before him and had another year exp for its young players) couldn't even make the playoffs.
    I mean, it's super unfair to say that Cavs team was poop and Lebron won a ring with it. Sure, Lebron was superhuman during that run, but Kyrie Irving was still there. He averaged 25 points per game and shot 44% from deep in the 2015-16 playoffs, and that year Lebron played 76 games. This year, he didn't have a sidekick: who on these Lakers is the Kyrie Irving? There just isn't one. And Lebron got injured for like 20 games, and instead of holding it together and maybe going .500 in that time, the Lakers crumbled and lost like 10 games in a row or something. The Cleveland team wasn't good but it had some stuff on it. This Lakers team is just bad, has had a ton of injuries, and doesn't really have any stuff on it.
    Basketball.

See I just don’t agree with this. Obviously yes Lebron is a huge factor but you have to build the right team around him. Griffin did everything in the Cavs power to assemble as good a team around Lebron as he could. Again Lebron was absolutely amazing as a huge factor but they could have had a couple younger players ever better that just didn’t fit as well with Lebron. They had a Super Star along with 2 All Stars.. That is the maybe the best recipe for a championship.. Nice mixture of vets and young pieces ready to get paid with bigger roles on future teams is exactly what you want and what they had. Outside of maybe Curry there wasn’t a better PG in the NBA imo to play with Lebron then Kyrie during his breakout year. Acquiring Love at the time was a great move and such a good fit for Lebron. JR Smith was in the prime of his career as one of the most athletic SGs in the NBA who could absolutely light it up from 3pt.

Sure Griffin could have gotten a better player or 2 but he did a great job assembling the right team. When he was there all that team did was win and break records. When he left it started to fall apart from the top. They beat the greatest regular season team in NBA history. You don’t just do that with a bunch of scrubs. Went to 3 straight NBA Finals taking the Warriors to 6 in ‘15, winning an NBA championship in ‘16, and then lost to a revamped Warriors team that felt they needed to add Durant.. No telling what he could have done with that team had he stayed in control. I think those teams were better then they get credit for.. Their poop stain is mostly due to how bad they were at times in Lebrons last season and fell apart. Griffin was not arround to make the necessary changes and deserves 0 blame for that.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 04-20-2019 at 12:09 AM.

And some people will accept anything.

Your statement nor the one above adds anything of value to the discussion. At least Guardian is trying to make a case for Griffin.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    See I just don’t agree with this. Obviously yes Lebron is a huge factor but you have to build the right team around him. Griffin did everything in the Cavs power to assemble as good a team around Lebron as he could. Again Lebron was absolutely amazing as a huge factor but they could have had a couple younger players ever better that just didn’t fit as well with Lebron. They had a Super Star along with 2 All Stars.. That is the maybe the best recipe for a championship.. Nice mixture of vets and young pieces ready to get paid with bigger roles on future teams is exactly what you want and what they had. Outside of maybe Curry there wasn’t a better PG in the NBA imo to play with Lebron then Kyrie during his breakout year. Acquiring Love at the time was a great move and such a good fit for Lebron. JR Smith was in the prime of his career as one of the most athletic SGs in the NBA who could absolutely light it up from 3pt.

Sure Griffin could have gotten a better player or 2 but he did a great job assembling the right team. When he was there all that team did was win and break records. When he left it started to fall apart from the top. They beat the greatest regular season team in NBA history. You don’t just do that with a bunch of scrubs. Went to 3 straight NBA Finals taking the Warriors to 6 in ‘15, winning an NBA championship in ‘16, and then lost to a revamped Warriors team that felt they needed to add Durant.. No telling what he could have done with that team had he stayed in control. I think those teams were better then they get credit for.. Their poop stain is mostly due to how bad they were at times in Lebrons last season and fell apart. Griffin was not arround to make the necessary changes and deserves 0 blame for that.
    This post just says Griffin isn't totally incompetent. Sad to say in a lot of ways that is a step up from like a 1/3 of GM/POBO. Unfortunately I don't see his resume as a clear step up over Demps. I believe Demps was competent enough at his job if you gave him LeBron James and 3 1st round picks in 4 years he too could have won a championship and I'd say the same for the majority of front office personnel in the NBA.

I've been pretty consistent pointing out that the way the NBA is setup if we are going to build a championship team the bulk of the core will be via the draft. Looking to do it via trades and free agency was the thing that IMO killed Demps almost on arrival. I'm looking at Griffin draft history (especially with said #1 overall picks) and it's not that impressive. I'm hearing him talk about team building and it's seem counterintuitive to the draft model. Maybe he's trying to avoid being label a tanker, but tanking is the best way for franchisees in our position to acquire cheap high end talent. If Griffin doesn't get this than he's IMO no better than Dell Demps who I long championed firing years ago.

Your statement nor the one above adds anything of value to the discussion. At least Guardian is trying to make a case for Griffin.
    It’s posted. He has been successful without Lebron. Learn to read numbnuts. Say are you the guy that said we should have drafted Drummond over Davis?

Be honest.

Extremely good hire!

This makes me feel good about the Pelican's future in NOLA.

It’s posted. He has been successful without Lebron. Learn to read numbnuts. Say are you the guy that said we should have drafted Drummond over Davis?

Be honest.
    I'm sorry where has said success minus James been posted?

And the rest of this post is as useless as the post I replied to. It doesn't matter. But for the record everybody gets some right and some wrong. I've been right around here far more than wrong.

What has Griffin done that made us choose him? He was gifted 3 1st overall picks. Couldn't keep things together with Irving and James thus losing them both. Drafting Bennett 1st overall is a stain that doesn't easily wipe off.
    I was critical of Griffin for the Bennet pick as well until I did a bit of homework. Griffin was not the GM when that pick was made, Chris Grant was.

Griffin was in the room, I think Griffin was leaning towards taking Bennett, and I think even Griffin admitted that he was sold a false bill of goods about Bennett. But Griffin was not the GM who made the pick.

Griff also has said that every move he wanted to make in Cleveland was changed the second LeBron came back. From that point forward, it was all about winning from year-to-year rather than preparing for the future.
    Last edited by Soundwave; 04-20-2019 at 08:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    I feel like I'm wasting my time compared to Sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I think Sound just upped the standards in the league.
    GM of the Year

I'm sorry where has said success minus James been posted?

And the rest of this post is as useless as the post I replied to. It doesn't matter. But for the record everybody gets some right and some wrong. I've been right around here far more than wrong.
    Post 111 again learn to read. He has had other jobs besides Cleveland. If you are going to diss a guy at least know all the facts Champ.

You rather an inexperienced young guy.

Hahahahhahahahahshaha.

Good luck with that! Glad you don’t run the Pelicans Champ!

Post 111 again learn to read. He has had other jobs besides Cleveland. If you are going to diss a guy at least know all the facts Champ.
    Where have I dissed Griffin? I have reserves about his qualifications based on his last stop. I actually appreciate the link you post and clearly missed it. I have no problem giving credit where it's due when it's due.

This doesn't negate my point about your other post being nonproductive. At this point we all have to just hope he's the guy for the job. Doesn't mean that we all have to view this as some homerun.

You rather an inexperienced young guy.

Hahahahhahahahahshaha.

Good luck with that! Glad you don’t run the Pelicans Champ!
    I want someone that understand the new NBA. A lot of times with the older guards they don't adjust to the current climate. I want a front office that has a recent history of drafting well.

I want someone that understand the new NBA. A lot of times with the older guards they don't adjust to the current climate. I want a front office that has a recent history of drafting well.
    But you like Jerry West

Thread Information