Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Griffin's Press Conference

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Thanks I just love the team, and because of the time difference a lot of the stuff that happens during the day for guys who live over in the States (like this press conference) that people can't catch cause they're at work or whatever, ends up happening pretty late for me (it's nearly 8pm right now) so I just post what I see.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Gotta think if reporters and bloggers can figure that out, other GMs can as well. Not sure it is as much leverage as appeasing fans.
    I mean sure, but what else CAN Griffin say? ''Oh yeah, thanks for hiring me, thanks to Mrs Benson for giving me the job, here's a heartfelt story about my connection to New Orleans, and yes Anthony Davis will be gone on the 1st of July, I will even buy his plane ticket.''

He's kind gotta play this stuff ambivalent in public.

edit: and I know you know that by the way, not trying to like, one-up you or anything.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 04-17-2019 at 02:27 PM.
    Basketball.

Gotta think if reporters and bloggers can figure that out, other GMs can as well. Not sure it is as much leverage as appeasing fans.
    Fair point. I do appreciate Griffins comments as a dismissal of the matter of fact reporting that AD is, without any doubt, going to be traded. A smart way of affirming he ain't gone yet and publicly giving AD a door to redemption from management.

Seen a few places already reporting this as ''David Griffin says he will do everything he can to keep AD''. Good example of that:

This is not what Griff says in that video at all. It's not what he said in the press conference. He said that he has a good history with Klutch, that he's spoken to Rich Paul, that he's excited about what they're trying to build in NOLA, and that he's going to meet with AD to properly discuss the future. He added that if they sit down to talk and AD isn't interested, it's a ''help me help you'' situation in regards to moving him.

That's very different from ''I will work to try and keep AD''. It's ''I will keep the door open for AD, but if he isn't on board with our vision, he can go''.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    Seen a few places already reporting this as ''David Griffin says he will do everything he can to keep AD''. Good example of that:

This is not what Griff says in that video at all. It's not what he said in the press conference. He said that he has a good history with Klutch, that he's spoken to Rich Paul, that he's excited about what they're trying to build in NOLA, and that he's going to meet with AD to properly discuss the future. He added that if they sit down to talk and AD isn't interested, it's a ''help me help you'' situation in regards to moving him.

That's very different from ''I will work to try and keep AD''. It's ''I will keep the door open for AD, but if he isn't on board with our vision, he can go''.
    I think you're arguing over semantics here really. What else could "I will try to work to try and keep AD" mean besides to have a conversation with him about Griffin's plan for the Pelicans?

I don't think it's likely but I honestly can see AD deciding to stay now that he sees LA is not likely and that his agent has a strong history with our new basketball leader. And we should welcome him back if that's the case.

If he still doesn't want to stay, then so be it and I think we can be optimistic about the long term future of the Pelicans.

Quote Originally Posted by Bee-Fense View Post
    I think you're arguing over semantics here really. What else could "I will try to work to try and keep AD" mean besides to have a conversation with him about Griffin's plan for the Pelicans?

I don't think it's likely but I honestly can see AD deciding to stay now that he sees LA is not likely and that his agent has a strong history with our new basketball leader. And we should welcome him back if that's the case.

If he still doesn't want to stay, then so be it and I think we can be optimistic about the long term future of the Pelicans.
    I think that if you're a casual fan who just reads that tweet from Fletch, or any of the other guys who I have seen framing it that way, it's fairly easy to come away with the impression that Griffin was adamant about keeping AD, or really pushed that angle. That's just not what happened. Of course, if you actually watched the presser, you know that, but the average fan probably won't watch it and if prominent members of the media frame it this way, it means that I'm going to have to hear bonehead takes on twitter and instagram for the next few months about how Griffin has ''already said'' he isn't trading AD and stuff.

Probably dumb of me to complain about it on this forum, cause the guys on here will probably watch the presser, and even if they don't, you all know to read between the lines of media and quotes and stuff. Just kind of annoyed that this is going to be fuel for innumerable bad twitter takes.

Correct . The proper thing is to praise Davis not to poison Davis. Actually the fact that it has gone over a lot of people’s heads is exactly what Griffin wanted to accomplish. Power Play move.
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 04-17-2019 at 02:56 PM.

...we get to go McDonalds
    I'm not all that excited about Griffin cause I never felt the Cavs consistently made good moves, but only a dumb **** GM wouldn't have option 1 as holding onto AD. So this at least makes me feel better that he knows what he's doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Primetime View Post
    I'm not all that excited about Griffin cause I never felt the Cavs consistently made good moves, but only a dumb **** GM wouldn't have option 1 as holding onto AD. So this at least makes me feel better that he knows what he's doing.
    Yeah, love to hold on to the player that openly and publically requested a trade to literally anywhere else multiple times, who has been unable to bring us any consistent success, and who ruined an entire season before proceeding on a lengthy and spiteful series of immature moves that seemed designed to alienate the fanbase and the team.

Just love that guy.

Yeah, love to hold on to the player that openly and publically requested a trade to literally anywhere else multiple times, who has been unable to bring us any consistent success, and who ruined an entire season before proceeding on a lengthy and spiteful series of immature moves that seemed designed to alienate the fanbase and the team.

Just love that guy.
    But he is much more valuable, even as a trade asset, if he agrees to stay.

But he is much more valuable, even as a trade asset, if he agrees to stay.
    Is he? Can't trade him for a year if he signs the extension, so if you extend him with the intention of keeping him as a beefed up trade asset, all you do is dedicate yourself to burning a year of the franchise, spinning the wheels on a doomed season that you know in advance is going nowhere. Plus, how many teams are going to trade for him when his contract is $40m+ a year? More than that, how many teams will be able to trade for him in that situation? Moving that much money is difficult for a lot of places.

And if you don't end up trading him, all you've done is just annihilate our cap situation with the size of this supermax. You're stuck with AD and Jrue eating nearly $70m a year, don't have bird rights on anyone except Moore and Solomon Hill, no assets to move except our first round picks, again.

So much for the franchise changing things up.

Is he? Can't trade him for a year if he signs the extension, so if you extend him with the intention of keeping him as a beefed up trade asset, all you do is dedicate yourself to burning a year of the franchise, spinning the wheels on a doomed season that you know in advance is going nowhere. Plus, how many teams are going to trade for him when his contract is $40m+ a year? More than that, how many teams will be able to trade for him in that situation? Moving that much money is difficult for a lot of places.

And if you don't end up trading him, all you've done is just annihilate our cap situation with the size of this supermax. You're stuck with AD and Jrue eating nearly $70m a year, don't have bird rights on anyone except Moore and Solomon Hill, no assets to move except our first round picks, again.

Do you think there is no team in the NBA that would be willing to trade for Durant, Curry, Westbrook, Harden, etc. in the same situation? Of course a team would trade for a superstar, especially knowing they are locked in for multiple years. It may not be easy and may involve a multiple team trade, but teams would jump through hoops for a superstar.

Dae-O
    Daeeee-O
    Dae-O comes in and me want to go home

Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post
    Dae-O
    Daeeee-O
    Dae-O comes in and me want to go home
    Jamaica clap *clap* *clap* *clap*
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Not mentioned at presser

Elfrid Payton

Julius Randle

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Not mentioned at presser

Elfrid Payton

Julius Randle
    Did he mention any players other than Jrue and AD?

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Did he mention any players other than Jrue and AD?
    Solomon Hill

Kidding
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 04-17-2019 at 08:31 PM.

Well I’m 1 out of 2. Wrong on Ferry. Right on keeping Gentry.

It is what is is. M. M. Will give his thoughts soon.

Solomon Hill

Kidding
    Lol

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Griffin saying he intends to keep Davis is exactly what he should do. I mean, think of it like this, AD was fed up with what happened with the old regime. All their failures and foibles are on them, not Griffin.

Come on, bring along an olive branch...see where his head is at. And then trade the bum at the first reasonable opportunity.

Do you think there is no team in the NBA that would be willing to trade for Durant, Curry, Westbrook, Harden, etc. in the same situation? Of course a team would trade for a superstar, especially knowing they are locked in for multiple years. It may not be easy and may involve a multiple team trade, but teams would jump through hoops for a superstar.
    I don't think it's impossible, but I think it makes it needlessly more difficult, and you have to weigh up cost benefit. Sure, AD signed for (say) 3 years is likely to net you a larger return than AD signed for 1 year with the task of making him resin left up to whoever trades for him. But the cost of that extra leverage is a full year of your franchise being flushed down the toilet. Do we really want that?

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Griffin saying he intends to keep Davis is exactly what he should do. I mean, think of it like this, AD was fed up with what happened with the old regime. All their failures and foibles are on them, not Griffin.

Come on, bring along an olive branch...see where his head is at. And then trade the bum at the first reasonable opportunity.

you scared the hell out of me til the end lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post

Sometimes it is best just to let go! See San Antonio Spurs

Sometimes it is best just to let go! See San Antonio Spurs
    And sometimes it's best to make it work. see OKC and PG

Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post
    And sometimes it's best to make it work. see OKC and PG
    Surely that doesn't really fit? OKC traded FOR PG, and gave up on Oladipo. The team that takes AD on would be the OKC equivalent, taking on the flight-risk all-star for a year hoping to win them over to stay.

Thread Information