Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Griffin's Press Conference

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I want someone that understand the new NBA. A lot of times with the older guards they don't adjust to the current climate. I want a front office that has a recent history of drafting well.
    So Griffin had one bad pick in the draft. How many bad ones did Dell have? I think everyone has there bad pick.

Think of it this way, Now Griffin has to clean up the mess of Dell Demps.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    But you like Jerry West
    West has a history of excellence over a long period of time.

He GM'd the showtime Lakers that won 5 rings. He also pulled off the trade that acquired Kobe Bryant and signed Shaq, becoming the architect of another 3 rings.

Then, he took over the Grizzlies and led them to their first ever playoff appearance, winning another Executive of the Year award.

Then, in 2011, he became the head honcho of the Golden State Warriors. Steph Curry was already there at that point, but it was West who was their executive when they drafted Klay Thompson and Draymond Green, and also when they acquired KD.

Since 2017 he's been working in LAC, who (in case you haven't noticed) have constructed a roster robust enough to stay a playoff team despite losing CP3, DeAndre Jordan, Blake Griffin, and JJ Reddick while they essentially re-set for a rebuild.

Jerry West has been at the front of NBA excellence for decades and decades. You'd be nuts not to appreciate him.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    West has a history of excellence over a long period of time.

He GM'd the showtime Lakers that won 5 rings. He also pulled off the trade that acquired Kobe Bryant and signed Shaq, becoming the architect of another 3 rings.

Then, he took over the Grizzlies and led them to their first ever playoff appearance, winning another Executive of the Year award.

Then, in 2011, he became the head honcho of the Golden State Warriors. Steph Curry was already there at that point, but it was West who was their executive when they drafted Klay Thompson and Draymond Green, and also when they acquired KD.

Since 2017 he's been working in LAC, who (in case you haven't noticed) have constructed a roster robust enough to stay a playoff team despite losing CP3, DeAndre Jordan, Blake Griffin, and JJ Reddick while they essentially re-set for a rebuild.

Jerry West has been at the front of NBA excellence for decades and decades. You'd be nuts not to appreciate him.

Tell that to daThrone. He does not like the old guard.

Tell that to daThrone. He does not like the old guard.
    He didn't say that though. He said 'a lot of the old guard' not that there was nobody. Jerry West is awesome, and he's proven it by continually adjusting for the NBA through various decades and continuing to provide high quality insight and foresight. That doesn't mean everybody can.

Take Magic Johnson for example. Nobody can deny that in the 80s, his basketball IQ was through the roof, but he just doesn't know how to construct a 2019 roster, and that was evident from last summer when he signed Lebron and then proceeded to sign Javale McGee, Michael Beasley, Lance Stephenson, and Rajon Rondo. Just terrible roster construction.

I'm pretty sure daThrone would agree that Jerry West is a great executive. But Jerry West is Jerry West, and other guys are other guys, and being able to adjust and change things up for decades isn't a common skill.

We can argue on this for sixty more pages. Griffin is much better than we had before. We can all agree on that.

Nope.

We'll see. I liked Dell. He put the pieces in place. Other factors always knocked them off the board but he did his part. I like Griffen, too. Just that the jury is still out on if he's better.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Nope.

We'll see. I liked Dell. He put the pieces in place. Other factors always knocked them off the board but he did his part. I like Griffen, too. Just that the jury is still out on if he's better.
    I’m guessing you are being sarcastic. Oh yeah he put the pieces in place.

Ian Clark

Solomon Hill

And the ones that were good he let walk

Quinn Cook,

Buddy

And that is in last 3 years. I can go back further

I’m guessing you are being sarcastic. Oh yeah he put the pieces in place.

Ian Clark

Solomon Hill

And the ones that were good he let walk

Quinn Cook,

Buddy

And that is in last 3 years. I can go back further
    You can, but you're also not evaluating fairly. I dislike Dell, and I'm glad he's gone, but let's not pretend that Ian Clark, who was signed to a minimum and was just there to bulk out the bench, represents the peak of his powers.

Solomon Hill was a major blunder. Obviously Omer Asik was a terrible move. Ajinca wasn't a good move either. Eric Gordon obviously ended terribly. Sure.

But the Demarcus Cousins trade was a great trade. Sure, looking back on it we know it was a bad move because Buddy ended up blossoming in Sacramento and Boogie left, but there was pretty much nobody on this site who was upset about that trade the day it happened. It was a good move to make at the time.

Niko Mirotic was a great trade, that worked really well for us and was a huge part of our playoff trip last season. Getting him was a brilliant move.

Bringing back Emeka was a good choice that worked out well for us. Some people (not me) think that the Rondo signing was brilliant. Bringing in Randle this season on a cheap deal was a good signing, and Payton ended up being a good move as well. Pulling Kenrich off the trash-heap was a fantastic move.

Yes, I totally agree that Dell Demps did more bad than he did good, and that's why I'm glad that he's gone. But if someone were to just look at the last two or three seasons, Demps would come out looking probably okay. Cousins, Mirotic, Rondo, Randle, Payton, these are all names, and Dell got them.

If you're trying to discredit Dell Demps using him letting QUINN COOK go, you're doing it wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    If you're trying to discredit Dell Demps using him letting QUINN COOK go, you're doing it wrong...
    Okay fine. The complete history

https://www.basketball-reference.com...empsde01x.html

https://expo.nola.com/sports/g66l-20...demps-era.html
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 04-21-2019 at 09:27 AM.

Jimmertime! Ishhhhhhhhhhhh

We shall never forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zRMCDDIWZE

On this Easter be grateful for everything Jimmer gave us.
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 04-21-2019 at 09:52 AM.

I mean, I see a lot of good in there. There were a few missteps, some of which are even more glaring in hindsight. But there were solid moves that we’re attempts to put together talent. We came up short in two eras, often as much due to injury or timing as anything else.

I never thought dell was as terrible as some here wanted to think. It was time to move on for sure, but he wasn’t awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This post just says Griffin isn't totally incompetent. Sad to say in a lot of ways that is a step up from like a 1/3 of GM/POBO. Unfortunately I don't see his resume as a clear step up over Demps. I believe Demps was competent enough at his job if you gave him LeBron James and 3 1st round picks in 4 years he too could have won a championship and I'd say the same for the majority of front office personnel in the NBA.

I've been pretty consistent pointing out that the way the NBA is setup if we are going to build a championship team the bulk of the core will be via the draft. Looking to do it via trades and free agency was the thing that IMO killed Demps almost on arrival. I'm looking at Griffin draft history (especially with said #1 overall picks) and it's not that impressive. I'm hearing him talk about team building and it's seem counterintuitive to the draft model. Maybe he's trying to avoid being label a tanker, but tanking is the best way for franchisees in our position to acquire cheap high end talent. If Griffin doesn't get this than he's IMO no better than Dell Demps who I long championed firing years ago.
    I agree with a lot of what you said. What I like about Griffin is his ability to run a team and develop great relationships. He is going to bring in a GM who he believesis the best at doing that job. I like him much more as POBO for us then I would as GM. Not that I don’t think he would be a good one but POBO fits him perfectly and I just don’t see many who would be better in that role for us. His formula in Cleveland was some luck but he still built a championship caliber team the entire time he was there.

Quote Originally Posted by Saints#34 View Post
    I mean, I see a lot of good in there. There were a few missteps, some of which are even more glaring in hindsight. But there were solid moves that we’re attempts to put together talent. We came up short in two eras, often as much due to injury or timing as anything else.

I never thought dell was as terrible as some here wanted to think. It was time to move on for sure, but he wasn’t awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dell problem IMO wasn't that his approach was terrible in general it was that it just didn't fit this team. Free agency and trades just gives a non glamor market team such a small window of success. That narrow window made us especially susceptible to injuries. And we just had a bunch on injuries. At that point Demps just kept doubling down. The biggest mistake was the coaching hiring given the roster he'd already built. He had run and gun players like Ryan Anderson and Tyreke Evan's for a slow pace coach like Williams and slow footed Asik and Ajinca for a fast pace coach like Gentry. All in all his plan didn't maximize the the limitations of the market and the NBA rules.

So Griffin had one bad pick in the draft. How many bad ones did Dell have? I think everyone has there bad pick.

Think of it this way, Now Griffin has to clean up the mess of Dell Demps.
    He took Tristan Thompson and Dion Waiters when he could had a number of superior players. That's giving him a pass on Wiggins. The only quality pick Griffin has with the Cavs is Kyrie.

He took Tristan Thompson and Dion Waiters when he could had a number of superior players. That's giving him a pass on Wiggins. The only quality pick Griffin has with the Cavs is Kyrie.
    In fairness, the only reason Dell doesn't have ten times as many awful picks than Griffin is because Dell traded them before he got the chance to use them.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    It looks as though da Throne is taking his 60 ft bungy cord and jumping off a 50 ft bridge when it comes to DGrif. Hes goin down fighting on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    In fairness, the only reason Dell doesn't have ten times as many awful picks than Griffin is because Dell traded them before he got the chance to use them.
    I mean he had some validity to that. He was able to get Jrue Holiday for picks that have amounted to nothing. Cousins was a good move too before the injury changed everything. Niko was an absolute steal saying as we turned a mid/late 1st into 1 year of Niko + 5! 2nd round picks (1 in the Niko trade with Chicago and then 4 more when we traded Niko). The only 1st round trade that could be argued was a bad move was Asik but I still think at the time it was an understandable move.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    It looks as though da Throne is taking his 60 ft bungy cord and jumping off a 50 ft bridge when it comes to DGrif. Hes goin down fighting on this one.
    I'm not trying to **** on Griffin. But again if we are talking about whether or not he should have been the guy as of today I have some issues. Saying he had one bad pick with the Cavs IMO isn't very accurate.

If the players like Griffin. Which all signs are they do then he should do well getting us talent.

I'm not trying to **** on Griffin. But again if we are talking about whether or not he should have been the guy as of today I have some issues. Saying he had one bad pick with the Cavs IMO isn't very accurate.
    Go find me a GM that exist who didn’t make a bad pick. You are solely judging the guy on 1 bad pick and he wasn’t even the GM who took Bennett. He went to 3 straight NBA Finals while beating the best regular season team in NBA history.. Had the Warriors not signed a 4th all star who is a top 3 player then the Cavs very well might have won 2 in a row. You are ignoring everything he has done over a draft pick that wasn’t even him? Who is a clear better POBO out there? You were vouching for an assistant GM to take over that nobody knows anything about and your reasoning was he worked for Jerry West for a couple years.. We still have yet to hire a GM so pump the brakes a little.. If anything you are being a hypocrite. When somebody brings up you wanting Drummond over AD you say it was just one miss but you are right on a lot more then wrong.. Yet you can’t get over a player being picked and again it wasn’t even Griffin..

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I mean he had some validity to that. He was able to get Jrue Holiday for picks that have amounted to nothing. Cousins was a good move too before the injury changed everything. Niko was an absolute steal saying as we turned a mid/late 1st into 1 year of Niko + 5! 2nd round picks (1 in the Niko trade with Chicago and then 4 more when we traded Niko). The only 1st round trade that could be argued was a bad move was Asik but I still think at the time it was an understandable move.
    I 100% agree.. IMO Dell did a very good job building the team how he was asked to do. We just could never find that 2 way scoring wing to get us over the hump and to the next level. That was something that would have had to come in FA most likely. Looking back the best option would have probably been to gut the team during ADs first few years here to hopefully hit on a lottery pick or 2 and then go make moves to acquire someone like Holiday. We didn’t give Dell that option and asked him to win right away. No guarantee he would have been successful the other way but at least would have had the chance to do it his way. We got stuck in that situation as a middle of the road team with a superstar in a small market with a GM trying to keep his job and the only possibility to improve to the next level was landing a star FA.

Hugh Weber(Hockey Guy now) hired Del Demps not Gayle Benson. Dell greatest achievement Ish Smith, Lance Frygate Thomas, Jimmertime, Grevies, Brian Roberts and so on.

Hugh Weber(Hockey Guy now) hired Del Demps not Gayle Benson. Dell greatest achievement Ish Smith, Lance Frygate Thomas, Jimmertime, Grevies, Brian Roberts and so on.
    Jrue Holiday, Anthony Davis, Nikola Mirotic, Demarcus Cousins.

Wait, are we supposed to ignore those names?

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Go find me a GM that exist who didn’t make a bad pick. You are solely judging the guy on 1 bad pick and he wasn’t even the GM who took Bennett. He went to 3 straight NBA Finals while beating the best regular season team in NBA history.. Had the Warriors not signed a 4th all star who is a top 3 player then the Cavs very well might have won 2 in a row. You are ignoring everything he has done over a draft pick that wasn’t even him? Who is a clear better POBO out there? You were vouching for an assistant GM to take over that nobody knows anything about and your reasoning was he worked for Jerry West for a couple years.. We still have yet to hire a GM so pump the brakes a little.. If anything you are being a hypocrite. When somebody brings up you wanting Drummond over AD you say it was just one miss but you are right on a lot more then wrong.. Yet you can’t get over a player being picked and again it wasn’t even Griffin..
    1st thing 1st I don't get paid millions of dollars to be a talent evaluator nor do I have the deep pockets of an NBA franchise to lean on for information about any prospects. So comparing me to a front office person is disingenuous at best.

Next I don't mind people talking about the Davis vs Drummond discussion. If you talk enough sports you're bound to be wrong(if you're honest with yourself). However people want to randomly bring it up totally out of context to make a pointless point.

As far as Griffin I just pointed out other picks that I consider poor considering the other players that were available. So it's not just one pick. The Bennett situation falls on the guy on top. That's the game when you carry the title you get the credit and the blame. Drafting the biggest bust in the NBA history is something he has to own.

Thread Information