Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Griffin's Press Conference

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I mean he had some validity to that. He was able to get Jrue Holiday for picks that have amounted to nothing. Cousins was a good move too before the injury changed everything. Niko was an absolute steal saying as we turned a mid/late 1st into 1 year of Niko + 5! 2nd round picks (1 in the Niko trade with Chicago and then 4 more when we traded Niko). The only 1st round trade that could be argued was a bad move was Asik but I still think at the time it was an understandable move.
    Saying that he traded for Holiday using "picks that amounted to nothing" is a terrible way to look at the situation. One of the players that's in contention for the best player in the league was available with one of those picks. That's what matters. Just because the other GM drafted poorly doesn't mean there wasn't value in the pick.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    1st thing 1st I don't get paid millions of dollars to be a talent evaluator nor do I have the deep pockets of an NBA franchise to lean on for information about any prospects. So comparing me to a front office person is disingenuous at best.

Next I don't mind people talking about the Davis vs Drummond discussion. If you talk enough sports you're bound to be wrong(if you're honest with yourself). However people want to randomly bring it up totally out of context to make a pointless point.

As far as Griffin I just pointed out other picks that I consider poor considering the other players that were available. So it's not just one pick. The Bennett situation falls on the guy on top. That's the game when you carry the title you get the credit and the blame. Drafting the biggest bust in the NBA history is something he has to own.
    No the GM who is making the decision deserves the blame. Griffin was a part of it sure but like most organizations they let their GM make the final call. Why don’t we blame Loomis for draft picks instead of Dell? You can’t just pick and choose what you want to pin on him when it fits. Like I said you are using 1 draft pick against him and ignoring 3 straight NBA Finals along with a NBA Championship. All why using your reasoning for someone over him is because they have worked for Jerry West a couple of years. Again Griffin is going to be POBO not the GM.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Saying that he traded for Holiday using "picks that amounted to nothing" is a terrible way to look at the situation. One of the players that's in contention for the best player in the league was available with one of those picks. That's what matters. Just because the other GM drafted poorly doesn't mean there wasn't value in the pick.
    Are you saying that you think Dell would have drafted Giannis?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Jrue Holiday, Anthony Davis, Nikola Mirotic, Demarcus Cousins.

Wait, are we supposed to ignore those names?
    What it be fair to say we were better without Cousins last year? Got to 2nd round of playoffs.Then that trade was a bust. Buddy doing great in Sacramento.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Are you saying that you think Dell would have drafted Giannis?
    The Dell misses

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    What it be fair to say we were better without Cousins last year? Got to 2nd round of playoffs.Then that trade was a bust. Buddy doing great in Sacramento.
    It doesn't matter. The point is whether the move that Dell made was the best move at the time.

Yes, in hindsight, we recognise that Cousins ended up blowing his ankle up and then leaving, and Buddy ended up being really good in SAC.

But when the trade happened how many people thought Sacramento won it? Basically nobody. There were a couple of people here and there, but general consensus was that Dell had just pulled off a heist. Dell acquired a multiple time all-star, a top 3 player at his position, for essentially a 1st rounder (that ended up not even being a lottery pick at all because we did well that season) and a rookie. A rookie who, if you remember, wasn't playing that great for us at the time. That's a good move. Hindsight is obviously 20/20, but if you tell me right now that you believed that Cousins would rupture his achilles and then sign a minimum elsewhere, turning down $40m dollars in the process, and that Buddy would become a 20+ point scorer and a record setting shooter within 2 years, then you're Nostradamus or something. Nobody saw that happening.
    Basketball.

Has Dell found another job yet?

Thread Information