Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 NBA Playoffs thread

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Anyone feel sorry for Cousins? The basketball Gods struck him.

Hope turning down $40 mill was worth it Boog.

Anyone feel sorry for Cousins? The basketball Gods struck him.

Can we get a quote from Dell?
    Too soon?

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    Hope turning down $40 mill was worth it Boog.
    Seriously. This is the biggest story of the night. Forget the comeback. As Shaq said about AD turning down our supermax offer, DC will never be offered that type of a contract ever. Think about that. That window has shut and will not open again. This is not the definition of greed, this is the definition of a bad business decision.
    Last edited by WildlifeAirGrp; 04-16-2019 at 07:23 AM.
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

If he gets a ring it will still be a success I suppose. He still has earning potential that will earn him more than our deal l.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    If he gets a ring it will still be a success I suppose. He still has earning potential that will earn him more than our deal l.
    Does he? He'll get a ring, but nobody will care. It will add nothing to his legacy. It's been 25 years and people still point out that Hakeem only got his rings because Jordan wasn't playing: there's no way people will forget that Boogie got his ring without himself playing.

And the earning potential... where? If the MRI comes back and he legitimately has torn his quad, he's not getting more than another minimum as a free agent. He'd have to play another 6 more years at the minimum even after that to make up $40 mil. He's gonna legit play 8 consecutive seasons on the minimum to earn what we were willing to give him for 2.

Unless, of course, you think he's going to recover from this, come back, and show out again enough to get another big contract for more than the min. Which I don't think is likely. He was in the best possible position in Golden State: they gave him all the time he needed to recover, gave him the best supporting cast to take pressure of his performances, and he still stunk every time he touched the court this year.

His earning potential is in the toilet.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    His earning potential is in the toilet.
    Yep! He done.

Keep in mind too that a late season quad tear, it's gonna take him all of next season to rehab That. He might come in for a few minutes at the end of the season but this injury and the timing basically kills his earning potential for 2 more seasons at least while he recoups.

Maybe after next season someone gives him like a room MLE as a flyer, but even that I think is a stretch. So he turned down 2/40m and it will end up being probably 5+ years before he makes that amount of money IF he stays healthy and rebounds from it. It could just as easily be he never recovers.

There's a lesson in there for any of these sports guys who try to play hardball. You are always betting on your body so if you have a history of injuries or are currently injured its not always the best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Keep in mind too that a late season quad tear, it's gonna take him all of next season to rehab That. He might come in for a few minutes at the end of the season but this injury and the timing basically kills his earning potential for 2 more seasons at least while he recoups.

Maybe after next season someone gives him like a room MLE as a flyer, but even that I think is a stretch. So he turned down 2/40m and it will end up being probably 5+ years before he makes that amount of money IF he stays healthy and rebounds from it. It could just as easily be he never recovers.

There's a lesson in there for any of these sports guys who try to play hardball. You are always betting on your body so if you have a history of injuries or are currently injured its not always the best bet.
    Exactly. If you are someone like Lebron James (although obviously he would never have to bet on a contract) and you'd never really had a serious injury after a decade plus, then betting on yourself is one thing. But if you're betting on yourself literally months after your ankle exploded, then you MUST know that you're accepting some pretty extreme odds. When those odds don't pan out, you can't be mad at anyone. You had $40m sat right in front of you. You accepted a risk you KNEW had to be huge. Didn't pay off. Sucks to be you.

A bird in the hand, there is a reason that saying has been around forever...

I get no joy from that man getting injured but this is textbook.

Poetic justice is a literary device in which ultimately virtue is rewarded and viciousness is punished. In modern literature (and basketball) it is often accompanied by an ironic twist of fate related to the character's own action.

Poetic Justice Warriors?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post
    A bird in the hand, there is a reason that saying has been around forever...

I get no joy from that man getting injured but this is textbook.

Poetic justice is a literary device in which ultimately virtue is rewarded and viciousness is punished. In modern literature (and basketball) it is often accompanied by an ironic twist of fate related to the character's own action.

Poetic Justice Warriors?
    K A R M A is a ____ ! Yes she is!

Career Earnings

Gordon Hayward - 118M
    Danilo Gallinari - 114M
    Chandler Parsons - 102M
    Ryan Anderson - 98M
    DeMarcus Cousins - 86M

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post
    Career Earnings

Gordon Hayward - 118M
    Danilo Gallinari - 114M
    Chandler Parsons - 102M
    Ryan Anderson - 98M
    DeMarcus Cousins - 86M
    IF it is a Quad TEAR. That is Minimum 7 months. He might retire.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    IF it is a Quad TEAR. That is Minimum 7 months. He might retire.
    He'd probably re-sign with the Warriors for the MLE again.

I will give Boogie the benefit of the doubt. He will fight back, and he is still on the right side of 30.

That list above with Gallo, Hayward, and Parsons is a testament as to how valuable even the most mediocre of small forwards are.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN

GS already said they can’t resign him. But then again Cousins value is worthless now. Either stays in GS or goes back to Sacramento.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post

GS already said they can’t resign him. But then again Cousins value is worthless now. Either stays in GS or goes back to Sacramento.
    They also assumed he would get more than the MLE. Now that he has almost no value, they could easily sign him. I cannot see Sacramento bringing someone like him into that young locker room.

They also assumed he would get more than the MLE. Now that he has almost no value, they could easily sign him. I cannot see Sacramento bringing someone like him into that young locker room.
    Off to the Wizards?

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    That ring better be worth more than 45 million. That is if he even gets one.

Thunder down 0-2 to Portland!

Westbrook had 6 turnovers, 4 fouls, shot 5-20 from the floor and 1-6 from three and had a -27 +/-

But he almost had a triple double! So I guess it's okay! Triple doubles fix everything!

Paul George had a better game 2 than his game 1, but still, 5 turnovers to only 3 assists, 2 of 7 from 3? Not cutting it. What happened to ''Playoff P''?

$40 Mil is nothing to scoff at....but when you've earned $86 Mil already, I really don't think he'll be losing much sleep over that, guys.

Now, the personal embarrassment of just being a loser. THAT's going to be what eat Boogie.

Ah well. Have fun with that, bub.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    $40 Mil is nothing to scoff at....but when you've earned $86 Mil already, I really don't think he'll be losing much sleep over that, guys.

Now, the personal embarrassment of just being a loser. THAT's going to be what eat Boogie.

You really think that? ''Hmm, $80m, $120m, what's the big difference?''

Reminder here that sports players are notoriously awful with money and are frequently left broke only a few years after retirement. $40m is a lot anyone's money, especially when you have spending habits like NBA players generally do. It's not like Boogie is a billionaire, where $40m is chump-change that you sew together into a doormat. It's a total 50% increase of his entirely career earnings thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post

When you have a chance to increase your total career earnings by 50% it does not how much you have already, that's a big blow.

There's a chance his injury isn't as bad as originally thought if they don't need to do surgery but that still affects at least his pay for next year. Which means he was banking on playing 1 year, balling out, then signing a big max offer to make up the money lost this year. Now that doesn't seem likely. He went from earning 40m in 2 years to earning probably less than 10m over that same time.

Cousins could be out all next year. Who wants to pay for damaged goods? His career is done.

Cousins could be out all next year. Who wants to pay for damaged goods? His career is done.
    Haven't heard anything about the severity of the tear (i.e. surgery needed?). Could be 3-6 months or if surgery needed, even longer.

Haven't heard anything about the severity of the tear (i.e. surgery needed?). Could be 3-6 months or if surgery needed, even longer.
    Wish I knew how serious it was. First thing I found when googling was that they're going to rehab it for a week or two before making the surgery call, just seeing how it goes. The second thing I found was an SB Nation article which said that Cousins was a good defender and an ''agile big man'', neither of which is true, so I stopped searching. Mainstream media really don't watch games.

Thread Information