Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Now we have an idea about Davis trade. What about the 1st round picks?

Now we have an idea about Davis trade. What about the 1st round picks?

So the new GM has made it known how he would like to handle the Davis trade. It’s basically Davis for Tatum, Smart, and multiple draft picks.

If this does indeed happen. What do we do with the picks?

In my NBA 2k league i went through with the trade and drafted Morant, Clarke, and Bol Bol.

I resigned Okafor, signed Justin Holiday, Dj Augustin, and Diallo. How about this team?

PG: Morant, Augustin, Jackson
    SG: Holiday, Smart, Justin Holiday
    SF: Tatum, Clarke
    PF: Randle, Diallo, Hachimura
    C: Bol Bol, Okafor, Alex Lin
    Last edited by Sleeper; 04-12-2019 at 11:03 PM.

How on earth did you draft Morant? Did the Pels pick luck out and jump up to top 3 in the lottery, or did 2k just allow Morant to drop down to 7th or something, like will not ever happen in a million years?

Also, this team has had a desperate hole at SF for a long time, and this is the best chance we're gonna get to fill it. Drafting two different centers, especially when you plan on resigning Okafor, without getting someone like Deandre Hunter for the forward spot is kind of silly, imo

Edit: yes, I know Tatum can and does play SF.

Also, somehow you've got Hachimura, which pick did you take him with? You said you drafted Morant, Clarke, and Bol Bol. Also, you have Clark listed as a SF, when he's a center. And where has Kenrich gone? You planning to let him go or something? And also you resigned Randle.

And Smart isn't a shooting guard.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 04-12-2019 at 11:07 PM.
    Basketball.

SF: Tatum, Williams
    PF: Randle, Diallo, Hachimura, Clarke
    C: Bol Bol, Okafor, Alex Lin, Clarke

Just assuming though that somehow everything worked out, what do I think of this lineup?

Not a fan. It's far too heavy on bigs (Randle, Diallo, Hachimura, Clarke, Bol Bol, Okafor, and Alex Len? That's 7 guys at the PF/C position) and doesn't really do too much to address the fact that we've historically had problems with forwards. Yes, Tatum is a forward, and yes some of the bigger guys could slide down depending on the lineups and situations, but I still want my SF position to be a little deeper than Tatum/Williams, and that's it.

I have no idea why we'd sign Augustine, frankly.

Not really sure why we'd be interested in Len, particularly if we're drafting Clarke and Bol Bol this summer. He'd be a waste of money, and would either just ride the bench or steal minutes from developing talents who show far more promise than him.

Again, not too sure why you've listed Smart at the SG position, because he just isn't one. He's a point guard. He can't shoot, he's not a heavy scorer, and he's only what, 6'3''?

One of my main concerns with this team is where the shooting comes from. Morant hasn't shown any consistent range, Smart isn't a good shooter, Jrue's biggest flaw is that he can't really shoot, Diallo can't really shoot, Hachimura can't shoot, Clarke can't shoot, Okafor can't shoot. The only players on the roster who would be good shooters would be (possibly) Frank, Tatum, Randle (if he can keep it up from this year) and (maybe, if it translates to the NBA) Bol Bol. 4 guys, two of them big men. That's not a good look in today's NBA. I wouldn't be too comfortable moving forward with that.

It's better defensively, I do have to give it that. The PG position, as you listed it, would be an absolute trainwreck on defense, but in reality Smart plays PG so he would provide something there. SG would be good, obviously Jrue is a fantastic defender and Justin isn't awful. Tatum and Williams are both good wing defenders. Randle can't defend anyone and doesn't seem interested in trying, and Diallo tries but is very inconsistent, but Clarke is a good defender from what we've seen in college. Bol Bol is pretty good and Okafor has improved a lot. So yeah, there'd be defense.

Too Long; Didn't Read: Seems like a good defensive team but it has a lot of problems with shooting, which is vital in 2019-20. A couple of kind of random signings that don't make any sense, way too heavy on the big men without doing much to address stacking depth at the SF position. Has one of the worst defensive point guard lineups on paper that I've ever seen, but does have players that can address that somewhat. I wouldn't be infuriated by this team, but it's far from goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    SF: Tatum, Williams
    PF: Randle, Diallo, Hachimura, Clarke
    C: Bol Bol, Okafor, Alex Lin, Clarke

Just assuming though that somehow everything worked out, what do I think of this lineup?

Not a fan. It's far too heavy on bigs (Randle, Diallo, Hachimura, Clarke, Bol Bol, Okafor, and Alex Len? That's 7 guys at the PF/C position) and doesn't really do too much to address the fact that we've historically had problems with forwards. Yes, Tatum is a forward, and yes some of the bigger guys could slide down depending on the lineups and situations, but I still want my SF position to be a little deeper than Tatum/Williams, and that's it.

I have no idea why we'd sign Augustine, frankly.

Not really sure why we'd be interested in Len, particularly if we're drafting Clarke and Bol Bol this summer. He'd be a waste of money, and would either just ride the bench or steal minutes from developing talents who show far more promise than him.

Again, not too sure why you've listed Smart at the SG position, because he just isn't one. He's a point guard. He can't shoot, he's not a heavy scorer, and he's only what, 6'3''?

One of my main concerns with this team is where the shooting comes from. Morant hasn't shown any consistent range, Smart isn't a good shooter, Jrue's biggest flaw is that he can't really shoot, Diallo can't really shoot, Hachimura can't shoot, Clarke can't shoot, Okafor can't shoot. The only players on the roster who would be good shooters would be (possibly) Frank, Tatum, Randle (if he can keep it up from this year) and (maybe, if it translates to the NBA) Bol Bol. 4 guys, two of them big men. That's not a good look in today's NBA. I wouldn't be too comfortable moving forward with that.

It's better defensively, I do have to give it that. The PG position, as you listed it, would be an absolute trainwreck on defense, but in reality Smart plays PG so he would provide something there. SG would be good, obviously Jrue is a fantastic defender and Justin isn't awful. Tatum and Williams are both good wing defenders. Randle can't defend anyone and doesn't seem interested in trying, and Diallo tries but is very inconsistent, but Clarke is a good defender from what we've seen in college. Bol Bol is pretty good and Okafor has improved a lot. So yeah, there'd be defense.

Too Long; Didn't Read: Seems like a good defensive team but it has a lot of problems with shooting, which is vital in 2019-20. A couple of kind of random signings that don't make any sense, way too heavy on the big men without doing much to address stacking depth at the SF position. Has one of the worst defensive point guard lineups on paper that I've ever seen, but does have players that can address that somewhat. I wouldn't be infuriated by this team, but it's far from goals.
    I totally agree. We were second seed but ended up getting eliminated first round

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    How on earth did you draft Morant? Did the Pels pick luck out and jump up to top 3 in the lottery, or did 2k just allow Morant to drop down to 7th or something, like will not ever happen in a million years?

Also, this team has had a desperate hole at SF for a long time, and this is the best chance we're gonna get to fill it. Drafting two different centers, especially when you plan on resigning Okafor, without getting someone like Deandre Hunter for the forward spot is kind of silly, imo

Edit: yes, I know Tatum can and does play SF.

Also, somehow you've got Hachimura, which pick did you take him with? You said you drafted Morant, Clarke, and Bol Bol. Also, you have Clark listed as a SF, when he's a center. And where has Kenrich gone? You planning to let him go or something? And also you resigned Randle.

And Smart isn't a shooting guard.
    So, we somehow were able to get 4 top 18 picks? Huh.

Oh & BTW- that team sucks.

Where is this affinity for Marcus Smart coming from? I've seen his name brought up a lot during this whole AD saga as someone many are wanting.

To answer the OP core question. Assuming we get Bostons picks, we still don't know what those are so we can't say what we would do.

I will say credit to this board, many names discussed here have moved farther up mock drafts since Feb.

http://www.tankathon.com/mock_draft

Yeah. My head was swimming with possibilities but there are SO many factors that it eventually splits into hundreds of different scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    So the new GM has made it known how he would like to handle the Davis trade. It’s basically Davis for Tatum, Smart, and multiple draft picks.

If this does indeed happen. What do we do with the picks?

In my NBA 2k league i went through with the trade and drafted Morant, Clarke, and Bol Bol.

I resigned Okafor, signed Justin Holiday, Dj Augustin, and Diallo. How about this team?

SF: Tatum, Clarke
    PF: Randle, Diallo, Hachimura
    C: Bol Bol, Okafor, Alex Lin
    Never know how the trade will work out. Once of Griffin's thoughts on his show was that was when the AD trade finally came to fruition, it would not be Boston or Lakers, but a team no one was talking about. We'll see.

Basketball Guru
    listening to the talks griffin had,, he wants a young player with star potential,,,picks and a proven vet that can help lead the team into a playoff spot....dealing with boston has tatum but not that proven vet that he wants....he is also very high on brandon ingram but the blood clot thing scare me....

if a team come at us with a young player with a very high upside and some good vets and picks then i see him going with that trade or maybe a 3 or 4 team trade where there are alot of moving parts to where he can get what he want out of the AD trade...

It's easy to say it on a show but harder to actually accomplish it IRL. As of now, I don't think any team has a combination of young star potential player, prove vet, good picks. He'll have to make concessions on one of those desires.

Multiple team trade maybe.....but it really comes down to "what teams have to give" as opposed to "what AD should net in a return and what Griffin wants".

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Trade AD for ZION. Only resign Randle if he’s affordable. Try to get Hunter.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    We have to try getting Zion.

We do have the biggest chance to get him.....only thing is....that's still not a likely chance.

I would push for Brown over Smart, but would take Smart if Memphis' pick next year is included. A package of Tatum, Smart, Memphis 2020 (top 6 protected), Clippers & Kings 2019 picks is a great haul. I firmly believe that if Kyrie stays this is the kind of deal we can get with Boston. Lost in all of this is AD's dominance as a big man. Tatum is a steep price, but the picks aren't that meaninful to Boston. They have young guys with potential and it frustrated Kyrie and usually does nothing for retaining a franchise player or building a contender on the fly. "Ainge has been waiting on AD" is an understatement. He won't be outbid, if Kyrie stays. Period.

I would look for production and star potential at 7 (Coby White, Garland, Hunter, or Reddish). At 14, I would take the player with most potential left on your board (Hayes, Doumbouya, Bol Bol, Fernando). At 20 I would take a productive college player that can come in and hopefully contribute right away (Clarke, Nwora, Wilkes, Schofield).

Won't try a dept chart, as its just too many unknowns.

Quote Originally Posted by Thepeelsessions View Post
    Where is this affinity for Marcus Smart coming from? I've seen his name brought up a lot during this whole AD saga as someone many are wanting.
    It's not a love for him, he's obviously a flawed player, but a Boston trade would need multiple names to make salaries work, and Smart is a legit defensive player. Pairing him with Jrue as a guard combo would be as good defensively as any guard combo in the league.

If we are making a deal with Boston I want Jaylen Brown over Smart. I’m a big Smart fan but Brown is just 22 years old and has a ton of potential. Jrue/Brown/Tatum imo would be a very good trio. Brown has continually improved his game each year and can be a legit 20 ppg scorer. He would be a great fit in our system and along with Tatum help out our defense. We get these 2 guys while resigning Elfrid Payton as our backup PG and our PG/SG/SF positions are set for a long time. We could then concentrate our draft picks and FA moves on our big men. If we just hit on 1 of our draft picks with a big and imo we have a team that can be a legit contender in the near future. I would be open to resigning Randle to go with our group of bigs that is very young. Randle is just 24 years old as well with potential to keep getting better. Added BolBol since he is pretty much guaranteed to be around with one of our picks. Team will obviously look a little different between draft, trades, and FA. Possible Griffin looks to add a veteran with some of our draft picks similar to what we did with Holiday. The team below would be a great group to start as we shuffle and make some moves to improve it. We are in a great position to really build something great here and obviously Griffin saw this as well by taking the job.

Jrue/Payton
    Brown/Frank
    Tatum/Keinrich
    Randle/Wood/Diallo
    Okafor/BolBol

I’m still holding out hope we go after Bradley Beal hard. Maybe Brown, this years 1st, and Memphis 2019 or 2020 1st would be enough to get the deal done. A big 3 of Jrue/Beal/Tatum could immediately be contenders. Griffin wants a veteran along with a young stud and this would be one hell of a trade haul.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    If we are making a deal with Boston I want Jaylen Brown over Smart. I’m a big Smart fan but Brown is just 22 years old and has a ton of potential. Jrue/Brown/Tatum imo would be a very good trio. Brown has continually improved his game each year and can be a legit 20 ppg scorer. He would be a great fit in our system and along with Tatum help out our defense. We get these 2 guys while resigning Elfrid Payton as our backup PG and our PG/SG/SF positions are set for a long time. We could then concentrate our draft picks and FA moves on our big men. If we just hit on 1 of our draft picks with a big and imo we have a team that can be a legit contender in the near future. I would be open to resigning Randle to go with our group of bigs that is very young. Randle is just 24 years old as well with potential to keep getting better. Added BolBol since he is pretty much guaranteed to be around with one of our picks. Team will obviously look a little different between draft, trades, and FA. Possible Griffin looks to add a veteran with some of our draft picks similar to what we did with Holiday. The team below would be a great group to start as we shuffle and make some moves to improve it. We are in a great position to really build something great here and obviously Griffin saw this as well by taking the job.

Jrue/Payton
    Brown/Frank
    Tatum/Keinrich
    Randle/Wood/Diallo
    Okafor/BolBol
    I agree with everyone saying Brown over Smart but i doubt that happens (my opinion obviously). As others have mentioned, the only way it happens is if Irving stays. I’m all for it if it happens though. That’s a solid lineup.

The Franchise
    I’m still holding out hope we go after Bradley Beal hard. Maybe Brown, this years 1st, and Memphis 2019 or 2020 1st would be enough to get the deal done. A big 3 of Jrue/Beal/Tatum could immediately be contenders. Griffin wants a veteran along with a young stud and this would be one hell of a trade haul.
    I’d love this. I usually think about getting top 3 pick and grabbing Morant (playing talkathon). Then trading brown and multiple picks for Beal. The late pick from Boston I’d try to trade with Jazz for Favors. I’d even consider Hayward if the Celtics were to try to make a move for Durant ( don’t know how we’d make money work but wishful thinking). A finishing lineup of Jrue, Beal, Tatum, Hayward, and Favors would be pretty dynamic.

If horford opted out and they did get Durant, Davis, Kyrie, and then resign horford with mid level, that’d be a pretty legit team.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    If horford opted out and they did get Durant, Davis, Kyrie, and then resign horford with mid level, that’d be a pretty legit team.
    Horford is not opting out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    I agree with everyone saying Brown over Smart but i doubt that happens (my opinion obviously). As others have mentioned, the only way it happens is if Irving stays. I’m all for it if it happens though. That’s a solid lineup.

Yea but for someone like AD I don’t think Tatum and Brown along with a couple of picks is asking to much. I just don’t think the Celtics would not be willing to make a deal if it was Brown in the deal instead of Smart. They did move him out of the starting lineup and on the bench. Not that being moved to the bench means much but it does say something. I just don’t think Tatum, Smart, and draft picks is enough at all and if that was the offer I would be shopping to other teams who can offer much more. Imo the Celtics will go after AD wether Kyrie is on board or not. They would be a big FA destination and have their center piece in AD to build around. Kemba would be a solid option if Kyrie were to leave. I guess we will see! Exciting time to be a Pels fan!

The Franchise
    If he wants to win championships he might. Boston could have those 4 players for the next 4 years. Plus it was said he’d opt out if traded. I’m not saying he will but David west took the min to try and win a title.

Yea but for someone like AD I don’t think Tatum and Brown along with a couple of picks is asking to much. I just don’t think the Celtics would not be willing to make a deal if it was Brown in the deal instead of Smart. They did move him out of the starting lineup and on the bench. Not that being moved to the bench means much but it does say something. I just don’t think Tatum, Smart, and draft picks is enough at all and if that was the offer I would be shopping to other teams who can offer much more. Imo the Celtics will go after AD wether Kyrie is on board or not. They would be a big FA destination and have their center piece in AD to build around. Kemba would be a solid option if Kyrie were to leave. I guess we will see! Exciting time to be a Pels fan!
    I think the Celtics only consider putting Brown on the table WITH Tatum, if NYC get the #1 pick. If the Knicks pick is, say, #3, then the Celtics will know that the Knicks offer is weakened and won't put Brown on the table because they may well think that it's not needed to outbid NY.

Obviously I could be wrong, I just think that's what's likely.

Thread Information