Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: David Griffin: President of Basketball Operations

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    ferry and griffin were the 2 finalist for the job....ferry quit....griffin is our new pobo/GM, whatever title you want to call him,,griffin will be running the show...
    Except his title is Vice President of Basketball Operations not President. There is a distinct here that I think I need someone covering the Pelicans beat to make clear. Is Mrs B the President of Basketball Operations? Will the VP also be the GM or is he above that?

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Except his title is Vice President of Basketball Operations not President. There is a distinct here that I think I need someone covering the Pelicans beat to make clear. Is Mrs B the President of Basketball Operations? Will the VP also be the GM or is he above that?
    I'd be interested in knowing as well.

Is this position essentially POBO/GM together? Or is it like POBO, with a GM hire yet to come? I'd imagine the former, given Griffin's desire for control, but I could see the latter being possible.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I'm pleased about this. I've made no bones about the fact that I have serious reservations about Griffin, for multiple reasons. I still have those reservations, and I still have questions.

BUT. Ferry has a good reputation, he's very desirable around the league, and there are lots of jobs open right now. He didn't have to choose us. Knowing that he did tells us that the ownership IS committing to all of the things they've told us about investing more heavily in the team, and giving it all the support they give the Saints. Griffin doesn't take this job unless he gets the control he wants, the funds he wants, the freedom he wants. And it also tells us the team isn't content to just stand pat: they want to take a new direction.

As I said, I still have reservations, but all my doubts about the team being complacent, lazy, and just running things back have vanished.

Great move.
    I'm in the same boat about having reservations about exactly how good Griffin is.

However, I suppose that is a secondary issue if what he adds is credibility and an improved attitude around the league towards the team.

I'm in the same boat about having reservations about exactly how good Griffin is.

However, I suppose that is a secondary issue if what he adds is credibility and an improved attitude around the league towards the team.
    I think a lot of people just see Griffin's recent record, particularly considering his title in CLE, and make judgements based on that. They forget about the influence LBJ played in those teams and the construction of those rosters, and they also downplay the time Griff spent being underwhelming in Phoenix. I've also mentioned that I am worried about Griffin's friendly relationship with Klutch and LBJ. On one hand it could settle down tensions in case we want to sign Klutch players, but it could also influence Griffin's decision in trading AD, particularly to LA.

But as you say, he's a respected name. Negotiation will come easier with a GM who is taken seriously, and it tells us a lot about the ultimate direction of the team that's important.

I don't think we have to worry about Griffin doing Klutch any favors. Assuming he is also the GM and actually making the call to trade AD, he's not going to handcuff his current job to make a retiring Lebron happy.

I don't think we have to worry about Griffin doing Klutch any favors. Assuming he is also the GM and actually making the call to trade AD, he's not going to handcuff his current job to make a retiring Lebron happy.
    I would hope not, but given the fact that James Jones seemed to be running Phoenix as Lebrons farm team for a moment there, I don't want to dismiss the influence too early.

I think a lot of people just see Griffin's recent record, particularly considering his title in CLE, and make judgements based on that. They forget about the influence LBJ played in those teams and the construction of those rosters, and they also downplay the time Griff spent being underwhelming in Phoenix. I've also mentioned that I am worried about Griffin's friendly relationship with Klutch and LBJ. On one hand it could settle down tensions in case we want to sign Klutch players, but it could also influence Griffin's decision in trading AD, particularly to LA.

But as you say, he's a respected name. Negotiation will come easier with a GM who is taken seriously, and it tells us a lot about the ultimate direction of the team that's important.
    I agree with everything except the Klutch thing. That would be like Griffin being some lackey who believes his only existence is to serve Bron. Since I really don't see how that's the case, he is going to want to secure his position and get all we can get. And, tweets in this thread shows he also has ties with Ainge.

I would hope not, but given the fact that James Jones seemed to be running Phoenix as Lebrons farm team for a moment there, I don't want to dismiss the influence too early.
    He released Tyson Chandler early on before close to the deadline. That's a huge difference than trading AD away for tick tacks. Only way the Lakers are players for AD is by hitting on the #1 pick.

Plus Griffin is on record as basically saying the Pelicans could get better offers. So I don't think he can possibly walk back from that. The Pelicans had to discuss extensively with each candidate what their thoughts on the AD situation were. If they weren't satisfied with Griffin's answer he wouldn't get the job.

He released Tyson Chandler early on before close to the deadline. That's a huge difference than trading AD away for tick tacks. Only way the Lakers are players for AD is by hitting on the #1 pick.

Plus Griffin is on record as basically saying the Pelicans could get better offers. So I don't think he can possibly walk back from that. The Pelicans had to discuss extensively with each candidate what their thoughts on the AD situation were. If they weren't satisfied with Griffin's answer he wouldn't get the job.
    I hope you're right, and you probably are. Just me, as always, worrying. I do think though that if there are 2 trades available, one from say Boston and the other from LA (let's pretend the Knicks pick falls to #5, for example) and the Boston pick is maybe 10% better, the lingering respect for LBJ may force someone to lean LA rather than Boston. Sure, in that scenario, the advantage from the Boston trade is only minimal, but I'd want that advantage nevertheless. Again, probably me just worrying.

I do agree though that the Pels ownership definitely discussed things, and wouldn't have hired Griff unless they were satisfied with his plans. I'm just worried that perhaps what satisfies ownership isn't enough to satisfy fans.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    I agree with everything except the Klutch thing. That would be like Griffin being some lackey who believes his only existence is to serve Bron. Since I really don't see how that's the case, he is going to want to secure his position and get all we can get. And, tweets in this thread shows he also has ties with Ainge.
    Like I said to Mythrol, it's probably nothing, but I am a worrier. At this point, I don't want to just assume anything goes well, given our track record. I don't want to be blindsided by naiveté.

This is really good to see. ESPECIALLY in regards to scouting. Elite scouting is never a bad thing.

I hope you're right, and you probably are. Just me, as always, worrying. I do think though that if there are 2 trades available, one from say Boston and the other from LA (let's pretend the Knicks pick falls to #5, for example) and the Boston pick is maybe 10% better, the lingering respect for LBJ may force someone to lean LA rather than Boston. Sure, in that scenario, the advantage from the Boston trade is only minimal, but I'd want that advantage nevertheless. Again, probably me just worrying.

I do agree though that the Pels ownership definitely discussed things, and wouldn't have hired Griff unless they were satisfied with his plans. I'm just worried that perhaps what satisfies ownership isn't enough to satisfy fans.
    Yeah I think it's just you worrying. Griffin has a good relationship with Ainge too. He's not going to sabotage his current job to make someone who has no influence on him happy.

Basketball Guru

griffin was in the running for the lakers job which he would have to answer to multiple people on decision making.......signing with us he only has to answer to mrs benson and im sure he is confident that he will not get alot of push back on decisions from her if she is being true on running a better org....

so he is the man thats running the show...going to do the AD trade,,,get the players........my only concern now is if he will keep gentry as coach or will gentry be gone sometime next week.....imo i dont see him hiring a GM when it seems like he has the power he wanted by signing with us and not waiting to see what the lakers would do.....he only has to answer to mrs benson so he is the man in charge making all the calls.....so i guess mrs benson is the owner/president

Pels hit a home run with this hire. Good job Mrs. B.

For those worried about the Lebron connection , David Griffin is not doing him any favors if it was even a thought that he may have done Lebron favors in the AD trade Griffin would never see another job ever in the NBA doubt he would risk that and his integrity to help Lebron who has maybe two good years left in the league Griffin is 46 which is young for a VP I don’t think there will be anything to worry about .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hooray for David and Preston!

Holiday not going anywhere

Like I said to Mythrol, it's probably nothing, but I am a worrier. At this point, I don't want to just assume anything goes well, given our track record. I don't want to be blindsided by naiveté.
    But I said it first. You need to stop playing favorites!

Kidding.

This is exciting. I did like Dell and think he did well...but sometimes a fresh start just has to happen.

I'm pretty sure most people on this board (me included) said that they only look at trading Jrue if Jrue specifically requested it. So that's good to hear.

I remember saying when we were discussing potential trades in February that I'd prefer keeping Jrue, because even if we get a bunch of youth in, they need someone to guide them and be that leader on the court. Jrue is exactly the kind of player I'd want to be that mentor. If Jrue's attitude, Jrue's good traits, and Jrue's ethos can rub off on whoever comes to this team, and we can build an identity as a team around Jrue's identity as a player, that would be fantastic.

Jrue is a calm, efficient, high IQ player, who is happy to pass but perfectly capable of attacking as well. He is a scorer, playmaker, and most of all, a hard-nosed defender who never backs down against opposition regardless of any disadvantages he might have. He's versatile, he's 2-way, and he's a good, likeable dude. If this team can become the franchise version of Jrue Holiday, I'll be very happy indeed.

Wonderful! He was My choise, better days are comming!

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Holiday not going anywhere

My gosh, this guys reads my posts. Listen to his first sentence. This market can't withstand a full tankathon rebuild. It simply can't. Which tells me this guy REALLY thinks we aren't that far off. First shoe has dropped. Next up: New Head Coach (I give Jrue more credit keeping this team together).
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

Will be interesting to hear his views on the future. I hope he at least tries some sort of rebuild with young talent and does not try to go the veteran route to try to compete too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Will be interesting to hear his views on the future. I hope he at least tries some sort of rebuild with young talent and does not try to go the veteran route to try to compete too soon.
    Totally agreed. I think he's right when he says that the franchise would find it difficult to retain its fans if it went complete Philly tank for 4 or 5 seasons, but equally I think this fanbase is tired of the ''young vets'' technique, where you essentially just try and poach other players from around the league, assembling a ragtag group out of whatever is going-on-the-market-right-now.

We have a draft pick. It's not as good as it could have been, but it's a lottery pick. It'll almost certainly be top ten. That's something. Trading AD, you expect at least one more pick this year, that's very possibly a top 3 pick depending on what trade we've made. In that trade, you can also secure (as Griff mentioned in the interview) a young player with star potential. That means we could easily have 3 very, very strong young players under the age of 23 or so after the draft. Beyond that, it's difficult say exactly what pattern we need to be in, but it's clear that we don't need to bottom out to rebuild here. Because of that, we can do a rebuild without having to half-commit to it using young vets.

What a nonsense.

Thread Information