Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Gayle might stick with Danny Ferry?

Gayle might stick with Danny Ferry?

Sounds like it could be between Ferry and Griffin.

If the organization is going to tout change, they cannot take the easy route of just promoting Ferry. Also, how should he be judged? Should he get all of the credit for any good moves Demps made and none of the blame?

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    If the organization is going to tout change, they cannot take the easy route of just promoting Ferry. Also, how should he be judged? Should he get all of the credit for any good moves Demps made and none of the blame?
    I don’t think he had a much to do with any of the signings while Demps was here.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    I’d be happy with Ferry.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    I don't think he should get any credit nor blemishes for what was done in an office where he was only second in command. What we should judge him on are his small moves since becoming interim and his body of work in charge in Atlanta.
    @DanielVeuleman

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    I don’t think he had a much to do with any of the signings while Demps was here.
    He was Demps' consultant and sounding board for the moves. Demps brought him in to help him in that area.

He was Demps' consultant and sounding board for the moves. Demps brought him in to help him in that area.
    I thought that was Mickey Loomis? Ferry had no control over moves .

I thought that was Mickey Loomis? Ferry had no control over moves .
    Ferry worked directly with Demps and was his sounding board for moves. He may not have had ultimate authority to make a move, but was certainly involved in the decision making process. I think Ferry was a good GM when he was a GM, but if he were hired, the perception would be business as usual with the Pelicans. For an organization touting change, I am not sure that would be perceived as a positive move.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    From what I have seen thus far, I am expecting Ferry to be named the POBO and that we hire someone else to be the GM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bee-Fense View Post
    From what I have seen thus far, I am expecting Ferry to be named the POBO and that we hire someone else to be the GM.
    Could make some sense if we go with one of the younger GM prospects (like Langdon).

I wouldn't mind Langdon. I'm no expert on front office guys, but Brooklyn have done a fantastic job of rebuilding over the last few years into a respectable team despite huge disadvantages. If he's a serious part of that rebuild, then there's good reason to trust him.
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Could make some sense if we go with one of the younger GM prospects (like Langdon).
    Devils Advocate: Bring in a young buck & he immediately has to make, what will be The most important negotiation of his career in perpetuity. Man, that's pressure!

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Devils Advocate: Bring in a young buck & he immediately has to make, what will be The most important negotiation of his career in perpetuity. Man, that's pressure!
    That's why I think that type of hire would require a POBO as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    True! It would be an extreme risk!

If you take someone like Ferry to make the move, then he's kind of a known factor. He's probably not going to make some kind of genius move that blows anyone's mind, but he's not going to get robbed either. He's experienced and competent in the role.

If you take a risk though, for example with someone like Langdon who has never been a GM before, there are three possibilities.

1) He knocks it out of the park and makes a genius move.
    2) He does a mediocre job, leaving nobody thrilled but without upsetting people.
    3) He does an awful job and blows it.

That final risk is worst case scenario. If we get a GM who totally ruins the AD trade, that could torpedo this franchise into the ground for a while. Another 8 years, maybe.

Fletcher just continues to throw out vague references to popular names.

UPDATES FROM WOJ

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    I like Langdon. Ferry has done a good job finding these diamonds in the rough. I think Bertans can be solid next year, and Wood has been incredible so far.

I would love if Ferry were made PoBO and we get Langdon as GM. I honestly think that's the best outcome and it seems like it might even be in play. However, would Langdon, one of the hottest names on the basketball exec market, accept being number 2 for the foreseeable future?

Fletcher just continues to throw out vague references to popular names.
    Wojo has his name too

Quote Originally Posted by Bee-Fense View Post
    An all Duke front office with Langdon as GM and Ferry as POBO? I can dig this.

He doesn’t even know how to tank right!! Can’t even lose games on purpose!! What is she thinking?!

Wojo has his name too
    I would not doubt that was Fletcher's "source." I know some people who used to work with him. Most of his "sources" were finds on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by DaFranchise80 View Post
    An all Duke front office with Langdon as GM and Ferry as POBO? I can dig this.
    Would be nice if they brought a rookie start from Duke as well

Thread Information