Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: AD Change of Heart? No Thanks AD!

Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post
    Dude. Stop. Control yourself.

I didn't say it was the same situation. I didn't say this year. You are so unbearably awful at rebuttals to arguments that don't even exist. (all while claiming others do the same)

Fact: Cavs spent the most money in 2016
    Fact: Cavs won the C-word in 2016

Opinion based on those facts: We will spend money leading us to a luxury tax in order to get to a C-word.
    And upon which players do we spend that money?
    Basketball.

I don't want AD. I want the assets AD will provide for this team. I've already been disappointed by the Pelicans for wanting to keep Gentry...

I refuse to believe they will keep AD and they aren't just using this to create leverage against other teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    And upon which players do we spend that money?
    I don't know who we are trading, what salaries are moving in those trades, who we target in free agency, what contracts are renegotiated

I do feel strongly from his comments that Griffin didn't take this job knowing Mrs.B is going to pull the rug on his moves because of spending.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I don't want AD. I want the assets AD will provide for this team. I've already been disappointed by the Pelicans for wanting to keep Gentry...

I refuse to believe they will keep AD and they aren't just using this to create leverage against other teams.
    It would be the most pathetic, #PelsLife thing of all time for us to have ownership make this big show of changing things up, redirecting the franchise, making things new, and then keeping the same coach, the same staff, the same trainers, the same medical crew, the same analytics department, resigning all the same players, and then just running it all back for the 8th time

AD QUIT on the team. It's absolutely mind boggling that they'd want to run it back with him. He made a public spectical of the entire process. He has routinely lied while trying to actively hurt the organization. He literally wore a That's All Folks shirt then lied about not picking it and acting innocent.

If they want to say publicly that they are going to sit down and talk to AD, ok sure. Heck, I don't even care if they tell AD whatever he wants to hear just to gain as much leverage as they can with other teams.

I'm absolutely against keeping AD. I don't think he's worth the supermax. He will cap strap our team and is a quitter you simply can't trust. All he is, is an end to a means for me. A way to breath new life into the team through multiple players to give us a better and well balanced team.

I've already given up hope we will ever win a ring here. I have NO faith in the organization being smart enough and lucky enough for that. But we can still be a playoff team who makes a run.

I agree that all of my excitement now centers on what players and picks we can get for AD. The idea of him staying here doesn’t excite me at all, for multiple reasons. The first is the sour taste of this year and how it went down.
    The second is just simply that I don’t know what the avenue is for us really changing the dynamic of this team with him here on a Supermax. We haven’t had the space or assets to attract a big 3rd piece for years, how does that change moving forward?

AD can’t carry this team as constructed, we already know that. Even healthy, this is a bottom playoff team at its peak. It’s time to blow it up, we are just lucky we get to blow it up with one of the best trade assets in the league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AD QUIT on the team. It's absolutely mind boggling that they'd want to run it back with him. He made a public spectical of the entire process. He has routinely lied while trying to actively hurt the organization. He literally wore a That's All Folks shirt then lied about not picking it and acting innocent.

If they want to say publicly that they are going to sit down and talk to AD, ok sure. Heck, I don't even care if they tell AD whatever he wants to hear just to gain as much leverage as they can with other teams.

I'm absolutely against keeping AD. I don't think he's worth the supermax. He will cap strap our team and is a quitter you simply can't trust. All he is, is an end to a means for me. A way to breath new life into the team through multiple players to give us a better and well balanced team.

I've already given up hope we will ever win a ring here. I have NO faith in the organization being smart enough and lucky enough for that. But we can still be a playoff team who makes a run.
    He is certainly worth the supermax (if any players are indeed worth that much money). He is one of the top 6-10 players in the NBA at 26 years old. It would have been foolish for Griffin not to say he would try to keep him. Having said that, I think that ship has sailed and he will still be traded.

The org is finally doing the right things publicly in the way it is handling the AD saga. I'd say Griffins comments give us a 10% increase in the likelihood we keep him, up from 0%. No damage is irreparable and I strongly doubt Mrs. B would hand this kid 250 million without making him clearly and publicly apologize to his teammates and the fans. She can just write the words and leave them, he will read whatever someone lays out for him. Either way Griffin is in front of this situation from the onset and has put everyone on notice.

Outside of Zion where else are we going to get that stat line out of one player with consistency?

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    He is certainly worth the supermax (if any players are indeed worth that much money). He is one of the top 6-10 players in the NBA at 26 years old. It would have been foolish for Griffin not to say he would try to keep him. Having said that, I think that ship has sailed and he will still be traded.
    My statement about the supermax could have been worded more clearly. I was referring to being worth the supermax in our current situation. If AD was on the Warriors or Houston or Boston, etc then he'd 100% be worth the supermax. If he signs that with us we are cash strapped with not a ton of options for improving our team. We are not a contender and heck are only a playoff team 2 times in 7 years with him. If we tie up that type of money we will have no chance of building a contender but if we move AD then thwt gives us flexibility, depth, and a fresh start for building a successful franchise.

I believe the AD Talk is PR guff and he is 100 percent gone. He has already burnt his bridges and we won’t be able to field a competitive team if we give him more money. Sometimes, you just have to know when to move on. It’s best for both parties.

My statement about the supermax could have been worded more clearly. I was referring to being worth the supermax in our current situation. If AD was on the Warriors or Houston or Boston, etc then he'd 100% be worth the supermax. If he signs that with us we are cash strapped with not a ton of options for improving our team. We are not a contender and heck are only a playoff team 2 times in 7 years with him. If we tie up that type of money we will have no chance of building a contender but if we move AD then thwt gives us flexibility, depth, and a fresh start for building a successful franchise.
    Completely agree with this, 100%. AD has been on this team for 7 years, and you can still count the number of playoff games we've won with him on one hand. A lot of that isn't his fault, but some of it is. We've sunk basically $100m into him so far in his career, and we have essentially nothing tangible to show for it. No long playoff runs, no consistent success, no consecutive winning seasons, no team culture. As a pure player, AD is as good as anyone in the league. I fully believe that. But given our situation, our relationship with him, our direction? No, for us, he's not worth $40m a year.

...we get to go McDonalds
    Are y'all nuts? AD is by far the best chance at contending.

AD won't be on this team next season, but it won't be due to the Pelicans. It'll be due to AD not wanting to be here. If AD says he wants to stay, he stays.

I'm not sure what y'all are expecting from a trade, but this should be clear: any trade involving AD will result in not getting equal value in return, and could easily throw us into a tailspin that could end in basketball leaving New Orleans for good. I pray we hit on draft picks and players we get in return, but jesus you're delusional if you don't think the team that gets AD will ultimately win this trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Primetime View Post

AD won't be on this team next season, but it won't be due to the Pelicans. It'll be due to AD not wanting to be here. If AD says he wants to stay, he stays.

I'm not sure what y'all are expecting from a trade, but this should be clear: any trade involving AD will result in not getting equal value in return, and could easily throw us into a tailspin that could end in basketball leaving New Orleans for good. I pray we hit on draft picks and players we get in return, but jesus you're delusional if you don't think the team that gets AD will ultimately win this trade.
    Anthony Davis has been on this team for 7 years now.

I can count the number of playoff games we've won on one hand.

Tell me again how AD helps us contend.

When I heard Griffin mention AD staying I felt the exact same as Broussard. AD ain't staying here.

...we get to go McDonalds
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Anthony Davis has been on this team for 7 years now.

I can count the number of playoff games we've won on one hand.

Tell me again how AD helps us contend.

Our team sucked. There's nothing the guy could do. LeBron has won the Lakers zero playoff games. Do you not want him? At the end of the day, trading away a Hall of Famer is never a smart idea. You just expected more out of him, and that's fine, but if you think we'll be better off trading him, you're delusional. This is pretty straight-forward --- the team receiving the hall of famer wins a trade.

Our team sucked. There's nothing the guy could do. LeBron has won the Lakers zero playoff games. Do you not want him? At the end of the day, trading away a Hall of Famer is never a smart idea. You just expected more out of him, and that's fine, but if you think we'll be better off trading him, you're delusional. This is pretty straight-forward --- the team receiving the hall of famer wins a trade.
    Using Lebron is probably the single worst thing you could possibly do to make that argument, because Lebron routinely took far worse rosters than this to playoff success. Need I remind you of the 2007 Cavs? What about the Cavs last year, when Lebron got to the finals with Jordan Clarkson, Jeff Green, Larry Nance Jr, and Jose Calderon? Now that he's 34 years old with more minutes on his body than any other player in the last 15 years and misses 20 games he finally fails to make the playoffs. If AD was 34 and had that mileage, I'd be more understanding. Especially if he'd logged those minutes taking us on finals trips.

You'd be totally right if basketball was Dungeons and Dragons and all that mattered was numbers on paper. In that case, sure, trading a Hall of Famer isn't a smart idea. But if that HoF player is contributing to a toxic atmosphere, has alienated half the fanbase, refuses to take responsibility for his own actions, actively sabotages the team mid-season, tells the media on television that he would rather play literally anywhere else than here, and on top of that, continually fails to actually bring us success, then unfortunately just pointing to 28 points per game doesn't make a very good argument.

Yes that tailspan from only winning 1 playoff series in 7 years and no back to back winning seasons. We've climbed so high up to the mountain, how will we ever return to such great heights.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 04-18-2019 at 01:19 PM.

Yes that tailspan from only winning 1 playoff series in 7 years and no back to back winning seasons. We've climbed so high up to the mountain, how will we ever return to such great heights.
    And is that because we had one of the top talented players in the NBA or an incompetent front office that could not build a team around him? Demps was a huge failure. He gave Monty players that would fit Gentry's system and Gentry players that would fit Monty's system. I would hope Griffin would do a better job.

And is that because we had one of the top talented players in the NBA or an incompetent front office that could not build a team around him? Demps was a huge failure. He gave Monty players that would fit Gentry's system and Gentry players that would fit Monty's system. I would hope Griffin would do a better job.
    I simply don't believe this. By EVERY account we should have been a better team this season than last. We added Randle in place of an injured Cousins, Niko got an entire summer here, Payton replaced Rondo. People literally went into this season saying this was the most talented roster AD has ever had.

At some point the players carry some amount of responsibility for failing. AD has NEVER shown he can consistently carry a team. We can blame Dell, he's certainly deserving of it, but he's already been fired. He was already judged and found lacking. People cannot claim AD is a generational talent, a top 3 player in the league, and then give him a free pass for how the team performs.

I simply don't believe this. By EVERY account we should have been a better team this season than last. We added Randle in place of an injured Cousins, Niko got an entire summer here, Payton replaced Rondo. People literally went into this season saying this was the most talented roster AD has ever had.

At some point the players carry some amount of responsibility for failing. AD has NEVER shown he can consistently carry a team. We can blame Dell, he's certainly deserving of it, but he's already been fired. He was already judged and found lacking. People cannot claim AD is a generational talent, a top 3 player in the league, and then give him a free pass for how the team performs.
    But what happened? How much of Niko did we even see? How long was Payton out? Early on, AD was out for a while. Once the players even started to come back, AD made the trade demand and things went south.

Of course the front office failed. They failed so bad that if we decide to tie AD up to another contract we won’t be able to bring in the necessary pieces to compete. I don’t know why people blatantly ignore that part of the argument just to make their point.

The Franchise

I agree with this completely. If Davis doesn't ask to be traded, I think we could have snuck into the playoffs even with the injuries. The way teams tanked at the end of the season we could easily have won 10 of the last 12 and that would have gotten us to around 43 wins. Still not enough but could have been close especially if we keep Niko and made a decent move at the deadline. I blame AD for the lack of vision and being a Lebron puppy for our issues. I think he is now seeing that he should have done things differently and may have burned bridges here.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Of course the front office failed. They failed so bad that if we decide to tie AD up to another contract we won’t be able to bring in the necessary pieces to compete. I don’t know why people blatantly ignore that part of the argument just to make their point.
    What part of the argument? Are you saying that because the previous front office failed, we should trade away a top 6-8 talent as a result instead of trying to see if the new front office can build a contender around him? What would you be hoping to get for him? I think we all know that in any trade, we are not going to get equal value. So, if there is a chance to keep him, you have to try. I still do not think that will happen.

Just to throw in a curveball what does Etwan Moore and/or Solo our 1st and some 2nds get us? If we keep AD.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    AD quit on this team, but you can't blame him. You sit in his position and you see how the organization is run, and you'll feel the same way.

My problem, and I'm sure everyone else's problem, is how he handled this all. From pretty much putting Jrue and Alvin in a position to answer questions for him the day after he requested a trade, to that debacle at the All Star break, and the stupid appearance on LeBron's show. It's all been a disaster and he most definitely hurt his image amongst Pels fans. He'll most likely be forgiven 10 years down the road, but for now, he destroyed the relationship between us.

Thread Information